Dear mods: Please lock.

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: Bucket's Writing Bucket

Postby BucketORandomness » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:35 am

Ranger of the North wrote:
“Alex doesn’t get the chance to try.”
My heart died in my chest. I THOUGHT SOMEONE DIED, DON’T SCARE ME LIKE THAT, RANDY! *sobs*

Also this is true? Wow. It was already... I don’t know how to describe it, but maybe poignant? Yeah. Poignant. And now I find out it’s real, too? That must be really tough, bro *hugs tightly*

Now that you mention it, it does kinda sound like he dies. Sorry about that >^.^< I accept your hug, as well. It is kinda hard, but things seem to have gotten better, now. Writing about it definitely helped a lot >^.^<

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Not disclosing gender or age
Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature
....More by Bucket
Open to making new friends!
It's my sig, but not my images
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:51 pm

BucketORandomness wrote:
“Alex doesn’t get the chance to try.”
My heart died in my chest. I THOUGHT SOMEONE DIED, DON’T SCARE ME LIKE THAT, RANDY! *sobs*

Also this is true? Wow. It was already... I don’t know how to describe it, but maybe poignant? Yeah. Poignant. And now I find out it’s real, too? That must be really tough, bro *hugs tightly*
Now that you mention it, it does kinda sound like he dies. Sorry about that >^.^< I accept your hug, as well. It is kinda hard, but things seem to have gotten better, now. Writing about it definitely helped a lot >^.^<
I'm glad things are getting better, and I'm sorry you had to go through that in the first place :c But I totally get that btw. Putting all my feelings and some experiences into words has really helped me deal with stuff, too ^-^
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

13 Ways of Looking at Dirt

Postby BucketORandomness » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:53 am

((School Assignment))
13 Ways of Looking at Dirt

I.
What is dirt,
this thing that is everywhere?
The floor of the world on which everything walks.
II.
What is dirt
but the decayed remains
of so many mountains crushed against each other?
III.
If dirt be a floor,
then it is also a shield
against the roiling lava of deep within.
IV.
Dirt may also be known
as the giver of life
to animal and nutrients of plants.
V.
The giver may also be
the very thing that limits
the growth of trees or grass or life.
VI.
Dirt is life giving,
but it demands a payment,
and steals back it’s substance as the dead decay.
VII.
The trees, so independent
and strong and able, use this common thing
as an anchor against their outreached hands.
VIII.
Among the roots
of any tree, in the dirt and ground,
is where the earthworm makes his home.
IX.
And to a dog,
whenever something needs to be saved,
make use of this handy substance as a treasure chest.
X.
To those on the street,
among the dogs and traffic,
dirt sits as a second skin, so caked in it are they.
XI.
To the child told
to “play outside today,”
it is a major baking ingredient for pie.
XII.
A child may have fun,
but a housemaid’s nightmare
is the dirt that rides in on her masters’ shoes.
XIII.
To the farmer, his livelihood
is tied in with his dirt,
where he grows the things the rest of us eat.

((A/N: This one is one of my mom's favorites. She enjoys the way it transfers from one example to the other, I think. This started out as a school assignment to take a well known poem and change it. We were given a poem titled "13 Ways of Looking at" and then the original word. I have forgotten what it was, but my classmates and I were given various words to fill the title. As you can see, I was given "dirt." There's really no point in continuing this, as it's rather self-explanatory. Actually, I think this is better than the stuff I've done this year. The original assignment was from 2015, and I found it while going through my old records. It's a fun exercise if you have the energy. Just grab a random poem and make something up that kinda goes with a modified title. Honestly, I like it better than any of the poems I wrote this year, but I'll eventually get to posting those later. As always, I hope you enjoyed reading, and thanks for coming >^.^<))

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:33 pm

Interesting concept, I must say *thoughtful*
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Enlightening

Postby BucketORandomness » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:35 am

((Vocab Assignment. Definitions below ;) ))
Enlightening

xxxxxThis morning was like any other. The sun filtered through blinds and whimsically reminded me that school was on the agenda for the morning. With a groan, I levered myself out of the laudable indent I had made in my bed and got dressed in a freshly laundered uniform. My phone sent off a flashing display, and my comrade’s voice intruded into the quiet morning.
xxxxx“Morning! School’s going to have to wait. Some maniac in a suit is attacking the Heights. Lady Light is needed!” the voice commanded.
xxxxx“Stevic, I’ll get going, but you’re going to have to come up with an excuse for the school secretary,” I said nonchalantly, picking up the phone and my school bag. I quickly made my way out to the kitchen and grabbed a bagel. “Mom, someone’s attacking Walmart. I need to go early today,” I said. I whirled around the house, picking up discarded bits of homework from the night before.
xxxxx“Alright, honey. Be safe out there,” my mom said with a smile, “Oh! And don’t forget your glasses!” I smiled at her pertinacious warning and quickly left, noting her glasses on the table. Of course she wouldn’t have been able to see me wearing mine without her own.
xxxxxMy car pulled out and away from the road that would have led to school. My suit felt slightly uncomfortable, what with the tunic over leggings design, but I really needed to speed a little and get there quickly, so I ignored it. When I finally arrived at the Heights, I almost cursed Stevic. He could have at least told me the person was wearing a prodigious three-story suit!
xxxxxWith a sigh, I bent the light around my car and made it as if the car, and myself inside, were invisible. It took some concentration, but I managed to get out of my parked car unseen. Next door, the robot suit was a blur, and I quickly put on my visored helmet. I needed to be able to see for this!
xxxxxWithout the need to keep a plain old car hidden any more, I dropped the cloaking and focused on keeping myself unseen. I bent the waves of light around me so that no light reflected off of my admittedly flamboyant uniform and raced to the metal contraption. If I could find some kind of access panel out here and turn it off, that would make the whole experience that much easier!
xxxxxA promising plate of metal moved when I lifted it, causing a loud screech as the hinges protested. I paused, and so did the robot. Suddenly, a loud, pulsating screech was augmented and played back at me, and I found myself losing concentration as my head felt like it was about to split open. The metal vibrated beneath me, and I slipped and slid off the appendage of the robot. Before I fell to the ground, the robot caught me and lifted me to about the level of the suit’s head.
xxxxx“Well, look at what a bright yellow bug has noticed me!” a pompous voice exalted from inside. I struggle in the clamped robot’s fist, trying to get my arms free. “So, who are you?” the voice asked again, his tone less than benevolent. At least, I was fairly certain the voice belonged to a male. It could very well have been an affectation, but I had no visuals to confirm or deny my presumption.
xxxxx“I’m no one in particular,” I wheezed through the confines of my prison, “I just came to ask you to stop making giant potholes and caving buildings in.” Walmart looked especially in danger, with people trying desperately to leave the parking lot without getting stuck in the robot’s footprints. That, and Mom still had to do the grocery shopping for the week.
xxxxx“Why would I give up this chance to be noticed by everyone?!” the voice said excitedly. The robot turned to the local police, who by now had set up along the road and were preparing to fire. I quickly worked an arm free of the robot’s grasp and focused hard, blocking out the vapid monologue and the sounds of bullets hitting metal.
xxxxxI collected the morning light into my hand, forcing it to condense and coalesce into a single form. When I was done, I was left with a small crystal that glowed ephemerally in the palm of my hand, which I gladly threw at the apparent cockpit of the robot. Upon impact, the crystal let out all of its condensed light in an intense flash. Whoever was inside let out a rather girly squeal as the robot seemed to spasm, probably from the loss of control in the cockpit.
xxxxxI was unceremoniously thrown into the police blockade, severely denting the car I landed on. I had no broken bones, thanks to the armor beneath the tunic and leggings, but that did not mean there was no pain. I groaned as I sat up on the car. My head hurt like some large cat was gnawing on it, but when I looked around at the blurry fuzz of the world around me, I realized my helmet--and my glasses with it--had fallen off during the flight and now lay broken on the pavement.
xxxxx“Miss! You need medical attention!” a blue blob said in front of me. I nodded perfunctorily and slipped off the car, then prevented the light from reflecting off of me. A clamor of gasps surrounded me, and I tried to trace the sound of the robot and its cursing driver before any of the well meaning police department could stymie my efforts to resolve this quickly. I needed that thing to stop moving, for me and the police.
xxxxxI stumbled around the police and cars, moving toward the sound of the robot. I will not mention the serendipitous discovery of one of the robot’s legs my face made without the help of my hands, but I worked with it.
xxxxxSquinting terribly and moving at a glacial pace, I climbed the robot once more. The driver was shouting inane triads about his backstory, and I eventually found the head of the machine. I concentrated once more, dropping my concealment to assist in my goal. I once more made a crystal of pure light, but I did not throw this one. This one I used as a focus. I bent the light around the crystal in my hand and pointed it at the shoulder of the robot.
xxxxxA bright white laser emerged from the far end of my crystal and began melting the robot. Well, I thought it was the robot. People started screaming and gesticulating wildly at me to stop melting the Walmart sign, and I readjusted my aim.
xxxxxThe change was instant. I aimed at the head directly beneath me. Whoever was inside yelled something about metal dripping onto their controls, and I bent more light through the crystal. The hole at my feet grew wider, and I stepped back slightly to avoid the melting metal. A loud clang sounded as the driver escaped outside. The sounds of police and sullen harangues carried up to me as I stopped my laser drilling. I hid myself once more and managed to somehow traverse the distance to my car where Stevic waited.
xxxxx“Here. Some glasses and a change of clothes. You missed a test in first period, though second has been about typical,” he said, elucidating the events of school thus far. I gladly put on the new lenses and smiled as everything gained defined edges and distance once more. “Well. Are you going to get to school or not?” Stevic prompted, and I waved a hand through the hologram of my friend and drove to school. I should have asked for the excuse he had used to keep me out of trouble, but I figured I would find out soon enough. At least I hadn’t missed lunch!

((A/N: So! Definitions! Here we go.
Walmart= the major supermarket thing that's kinda everywhere. I needed a villain to attack something, so there.
Whimsically= Playful, fanciful, usually amusing. Skipping through a field of cotton candy flowers
Laudable= Praiseworthy. My indent was impressive.
Pertinacious= "holding firmly to an opinion or a course of action." My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts, I guess.
Prodigious= Impressive, mainly in size or extent. Can also mean abnormal, but that's not what I was going for here.
Flamboyant= BRIGHT COLORS EVERYWHERE! Really showy. Just kinda over the top in a lot of ways
Pompous= I love the dictionary definition for this: "irritatingly grand, solemn, or self-important" just sounds really amusing
Benevolent= Good-natured. Meant to help.
Affectation= Something you do to make yourself appear better. Most of the time, it's accents, or pretending you have more money than you do.
Vapid= A vapid something is something that doesn't stimulate or offer anything worth thought. Watching paint dry is a vapid activity.
Coalesce= A coming together. Like when you make smaller drops of water become one big drop of water.
Ephemerally= Think about faerie lights. It's soft, and only kinda there. Like a Will-O'-The-Wisp
Perfunctorily= Routine, hasty, not requiring a whole lot of thought. Going on autopilot to the fridge when you're hungry.
Stymie= To stop or frustrate. For some reason, I'm not a fan of this word. Maybe it's the way it's spelled
Serendipitous= Accidentally lucky. I like this word. I should really use this word more often.
Inane= "Lacking sense, significance, or ideas" so the upcoming speech had no sense at all.
Triad= Well, I can't find the definition I remember using here, but it's like "Going on a triad" means you rant about it, but it's a little harsher than just a rant. Wish I could find my old vocab sheets...
Gesticulating= When people talk with their hands. think gestures, waving your hands around.
Harangues= A long, passionate speech in front of a crowd, usually attacking another person or group. Basically, the villain was taking as much time to shine as possible. "I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!" type thing.
Traverse= I traveled ;)
Elucidating= Basically means "To make clear" which is what I've been doing for the past few minutes. It's pretty fun, though, looking back on this one. It was an old assignment for a vocabulary lesson sometime last year.
The challenge here was to come up with a super power nobody had thought of yet, give the hero some kind of weakness, and write a story with the vocab words. There are some here that I've started using quite regularly, and some I'm glad I'll never have to write again, but I think the general concept was pretty fun. Basically, Lady Light can control at least the visible section of the EM spectrum. Since people can see because light bounces off of an object, she turns invisible by making sure the light waves bend around her and don't bounce off. The making a crystal of light thing was completely made up, but lasers are basically just uber focused light, so I reasoned she could do that, too. Also, the whole "can't see without my glasses" thing was pretty fun. Sure, she can bend light, but can she see? Noooo >^.^< I don't think I'll ever try to get back to this story, but I've used the super power a lot, modified it a bit in some places. I was pretty impressed I came up with something I was fairly certain nobody else had. Honestly, though, I think it would be super fun to see what else people come up with. We never got to share our stories with the class.))

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:54 pm

Would she be able to manipulate the light entering her own eyes to make things sharper/clearer/seeable-in-general? o,o
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BucketORandomness » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:01 am

Would she be able to manipulate the light entering her own eyes to make things sharper/clearer/seeable-in-general? o,o

From what I understand, you can only manipulate so much before the image gets distorted. Your eye acts as a lens, which bends the light, and if you add another lens in front of them, like glasses, then there's a chance you'd get the right angles. However, she'd have to concentrate on the light right in front of her eyes constantly for that to work, so I don't know if that's possible. Maybe, if she got any training, she might be able to double focus enough to do stuff and see stuff, but glasses are easier and way necessary. ((Also, you ever tried concentrating on your nose during class? Really hard to take notes like that.))

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Huh, okay XP
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Homecoming

Postby BucketORandomness » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:07 am

((This thread. Again.))
Majus-vat: Homecoming

xxxxxAfter leaving the protection of the Mount, not everyone felt at ease. Majus helped set up a watch rotation from his memories as a soldier and harbored beneath his wings those who attempted sleep. Many found it difficult to adjust, and there were not a few who were struck blind by the sudden light they traveled through.
xxxxx“Majus-vat, a word with thee?” a young Civati inquired.
xxxxxMajus snaked his head in the bright Civati’s direction and said quietly, “What is it you wish to talk about, Leta-vat?” He felt badly for those he had under his care whose dreams were of happiness, like Leta.
xxxxx“What are we to do about the Silence and Song? Many of our eldest desire them, though they themselves ascertain the need for stealth in such foreign lands as these,” Leta said. Her hands twisted before her, and though she didn’t look at Majus, he could see the worried flick of her large ears.
xxxxx“Leta-vat, I will not be upset with you, nor with those whose complaint you bring to me,” Majus said. He reached out one clawed foot toward her until she put her hand on it. “I know the Silence and Song must balance, and I have thought on this matter long. I believe I may be close to a solution of sorts, but let us wait for the gentle light to shine, so that all may hear of it first,” he said. Leta looked about ready to object, but he nudged her gently with his claw. “Go. Sleep while you may. I will Guard you as best I may,” Majus reassured her.
xxxxxDespite his advice, Leta was one of the first to awaken by that moonrise. Her yellow hair had yet to be cut, so the greenish tint had begun to show in earnest at the ends of her rippling curls. Peku, unfortunately, was not far behind.
xxxxx“Majus-vat, thine inabilities to mind the queries of thine dependents appalls mine sense of justice,” the redhead blurted. Majus simply blinked at Peku and sighed.
xxxxx“Peku-vat, your intuition is always a blessing, but in this surface world, I am more accustomed to the dangers inherent in inhabiting this place. Please, wake the rest. I shall endeavor to Guide you in this,” Majus said. Peku stormed off again, but Leta remained. She stayed until the rest had awakened and emerged from under his wings. Grey veils covered all eyes, but some leaned more heavily on another than the rest.
xxxxx“Majus-vat, what dost thou desire to convey?” a voice called from the crowd. Another joined in, “Should not we continue journeying while the Gentle Light still graces the heavens?” Before any more grumbling could drown him out, Majus sat up and flared his wings.
xxxxxThose wings were ratty old things. Torn so badly he could not fly, and scarred elsewhere by rocks and fire and thorns. Now, they looked almost comical, as grey cloth had been sewed into the leather so as to prevent any more blindness during the Harsh Light of day. It had hurt, but Majus hadn’t objected to becoming more able to protect his people.
xxxxx“Civati of the Mount,” he called out to them, “My appreciation for your patience is only outweighed by my desire to protect that which I was brought to protect.” Many Civati shuffled in the crowd, unsure why this meeting had taken place. Not many meetings of this scale happened, but they were always important.
xxxxx“My adoptive people, I know it has been a struggle within yourselves to keep the Silence and Song within such unbalance, but those who I would Guard against would surely hear such beauty in this time of war and seek to crush it,” Majus continued. Many of the eldest began to grumble again, but the youngest among them nodded and whispered agreement. “I have ascertained that there remain four avenues to Song. The first is simply to return to a state of Song and Silence, as when the Mount was still our home. This avenue would bring down against us more than I might handle alone. If this way is chosen, all Civati must learn the ways of self defense to better survive the attention the Song would bring,” Majus said, pausing to listen to the grumblings of those in his care. This was the least adaptable option, since it would require this passive people to learn how to fight.
xxxxxOnce the crowd quieted again, Majus continued, “The second path toward Song is a quieted time of Song. Now, the purpose of Song remains to offset the Silence, so this avenue would have us practice a longer, quieter song than what remained in the Mount.” Here he held up a scaled leg to hush the crowd. “You all obviously find this option distasteful, so I will progress. The third option is to disguise our Song into the sounds of nature itself. None in this place would question the sounds of cricket, frog, bird, and wind, though too many owls might raise the Guard of those around us,” Majus said. This idea seemed to take more to the taste of the Civati around him, but those who were oldest and most set in their ways glowered at those nearby.
xxxxxSomeone from the crowd, Billibojo most likely, called out “What is the third avenue you spoke of?” Majus smiled into the crowd. That one was older than many he knew, but Majus admired the adaptability of the Civati, even imitating his own way of talking to a degree.
xxxxx“The last avenue I can conceive is to find and claim an area untraveled by others and begin again,” Majus said. There were many gasps throughout the gathered Civati, and a few confused looks from those spawned during their Journey.
xxxxx“Majus-vat, dost thou know of such a place as thou hast described?” Leta spoke from the front of the crowd, and all gazes turned expectant and hopeful as they looked toward the dragon who led them.
xxxxx“Leta-vat, your words speak what the rest hope for. The mountains west of here are the most probable location for such a haven. There are a number of valleys accessible only by flight in that range. So, also, are there mountains whose sheer sides present a danger to traveling afoot. If the Civati would desire to claim one such valley as their own, I would endeavor to Guide you true and assist you into such a place as this,” Majus said. Leta turned a distinct shade of pink at his praise, but she joined with the resounding cheer that arose at the end of his small speech.
xxxxx“Now, my adoptive kin, let us make haste. Should any retain doubts or conceive of a question concerning our current course, let them bring it to me as we travel,” Majus said. He’d noticed Peku in particular hadn’t cheered as enthusiastically as the rest. With one motion, Majus knelt, and those too old or too young to travel swiftly clambered upon his shoulders and back, rding all the way down his spine and even to his tail. It was an awkward way to travel for Majus, but the weight of so many Dreams upon his back helped remind him why he was Guard and why Zemni had chosen him as Guide.
xxxxxThree nights, they traveled, sleeping and recovering strength during times of Harsh Light. When finally they reached the base of the mountain range the Civati would be calling home, those who had doubted had been convinced, and some who had believed were beginning to doubt. They looked up at the height of each peak and grew tired at the sight of such a climb ahead. It was at this point that Majus began carrying more than just the very old and very young.
xxxxxThose with enough energy ranged ahead, scouting trails and bringing news to Majus as they climbed into the mountains. Every Civati helped their neighbor, and those riding upon Majus began to voluntarily switch out with those who didn’t, whispering encouraging words as they passed those more tired than they.
xxxxx“Rest, and think of what it will be like to not walk.”
xxxxx“Our destination cannot be further than yesterday.”
xxxxx“Almost there.”
xxxxxThere came a night when even those words grew quiet, and Majus made a choice. He gathered his adoptive people and spoke to them again. “Civati, I know this Journey has taken its toll on your bodies and minds. Rest this Harsh and Gentle Light within the protection of these caves while I search ahead,” Majus said. He was interrupted very noisily by a certain red Civati.
xxxxx“Dost thou desire to abandon thine duties as Guard? What should happen to us, should thou not return to us?”
xxxxx“Harken, my kin, to the words Maus-vat utters. I believe he hast thought of our plight and wishes it over with quickly,” Leta said to her people. She and those near her looked toward the dragon with hope, while those around Peku continued to grumble. At a nod from Majus, Leta continued, “Civati, look to thine reflections. Thou burden the young with years they have yet to earn, and thine elderly yearn simply for rest. Allow Majus-vat to Guard thine energy and ascertain the ways in which to Guide thine steps.”
xxxxxFor the first time since leaving the Mount, the entirety of the Civati people slept under stone instead of under wings and scales and cloth. A watch was set up of those willing to give up their rest, and Majus made last minute arrangements.
xxxxx“Leta-vat, a word with you,” Majus called as the rest retreated from the sun. The bright Civati came forward and stood before the dragon’s lowered head. “Leta-vat, I wish you these. Keep them safe for me,” he said.
xxxxxLeta gasped as a small pile of black seeds and a horn of purest silver fell into her outstretched hands. “Majus, I cannot take these. This horn is for Guide alone,” she said, trying to put the thing back in his grasp. She suddenly stopped and flushed, quickly blubbering, “Majus-vat, excuse my over familiarity. Mine words were ill thought, and I mean no disrespect to thine adoption.”
xxxxxMajus gave a deep chuckle as he pulled away. “All is forgiven, Leta-vat. Please, keep the horn safe while I move forward. It is important not only to me, but also to our people. Should something happen and I am unable to return, give it to Peku-vat. He may be abrasive, but he knows what is good for the Civati and will know how to start choosing the next Guide,” he said. As tears began to fill Leta’s eyes, Majus moved his snout against her. “Do not fear. I am not completely helpless,” he said, grinning and showing his sharp teeth.
xxxxxThose next two days were difficult for the Civati. They were lost without their Guide, and they were skittish without their Guard. Even the newest members felt it, though there was one who was born beyond it. With a bright, blinding light, a green Civati made his first appearance at Majus’s side during his travels. Majus had been returning when this young one appeared, and he made even more haste, knowing that the others would need this one.
xxxxxAt his arrival on the evening of the second day, the Civati rejoiced. Majus thought they looked tired and scared, but many shoulders relaxed as they recognized his form. Many cries of delight also rose up as the newest member of their kin was shown to them. He remained almost glued to Majus’s scales, but the dragon saw how brightly his dream glowed at this meeting with the rest of his people.
xxxxxLeta approached and lifted the horn of purest silver, smiling as she said, “Name him, Guide, and welcome him as our kin.”
xxxxxMajus was surprised, then berated himself. He should have been thinking of a name since the young Civati had appeared. “I request that you hold this for me, Leta-vat. I do not wish to break such a precious thing,” he said quietly to Leta. She smiled back at him and positioned it in a way that might be easier for him to use. He thought a moment longer, then lowered his head to the horn. Blowing gently, he brought out a single tone ass pure as the silver t came from. Loud and simple and long, it reverberated around their cave, and when the echoes died, Majus proclaimed, “Welcome, Mathias-vat, member of the Civati!”
xxxxxFrom that cave, the Civati journeyed more toward the South end of the mountains. When Majus had made the journey alone, he had moved faster, so instead of the single night it took him, now it took them multiple nights. They traveled over a mountain, and Majus Shuttled them across a canyon. Through all of this, Mathias never left his side, despite Majus urging him to socialize with the other Civati. The green Dream was a quiet one and rarely spoke. The first time was on the last day of their Journey.
xxxxxThe night had been spent shuttling Civati up the steep side of a mountain. Leta noticed that Mathias was not on the dragon’s back like normal and went looking for him. Just a little higher, on a thin outcrop of stone, the green Civati stood, looking down on a lush valley below. Waterfalls cascaded down the opposite side of the valley, their water feeding the roots of trees untouched by human, elf, or dragon.
xxxxx“Mathias-vat,” Leta said, “What dost thou look upon?” When she reached his vantage, her questions halted in her throat.
xxxxx“Home,” Mathias said quietly. That single word ran through the Civati as quickly as the sun’s light colored the clouds that morning.

((A/N: Guess what?! I wrote a thing! In 4 hours! Huzzah! Thanks, Ranger, for reminding me I wanted to write a thing and for giving me the perfect place to let the Civati settle down. It was fun to try and come up with other Civati after such a long time away from them, but I think my Dreams have gotten easier to manifest. This one comes after the Journey, for those keeping up with the Civati. If I have the time, I'm totally writing another one of these. I have the muse so bad right now! Also, y'all remember that Civati adoptable I was thinking of doing? I've decided I can't draw on the oekaki boards. If any of my readers would like to, though, then feel free to do so, and let me know if you do! I think it's be super fun, though I'm not sure how active it'd get.))
Last edited by BucketORandomness on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Packing Up

Postby BucketORandomness » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:56 pm

((Guess what!))
Packing Up

xxxxxThey weren’t from our world. At least, their original ancestors weren’t. Large and white, these creatures haunted the forests and hills in packs anywhere from a few members to a few dozen members. Their braying could split the night much faster than a wolf’s howl. Regularly, these packs would chase after and attack those who travelled by night. These Mamurra, these ghost hounds, ran on heavily muscled legs. Wide heads supported on thick necks held bottomless black pits where eyes should have been. Most terrifying of all, though, was the leader of each pack. The Marca bled from these pits almost constantly, and their thick fur turned a deep crimson, their fangs sharper and longer than most. Of course it was one of these packs we encountered.
xxxxxAfter the dragon attack, I had thought they would stay away for at least a little while. Long enough, at least, to collect supplies for one halfling and a young girl. Maybe it was the scent of the place. The only people left in the village were women, children, and me. There was no hope of us burying all the dead. Alice and I had spent the next couple days gathering supplies and keys from various houses that would no longer be used by anyone. The mothers never really liked me, but now they outright threw things at me to keep me away. I suppose it was only fair. I had survived when an entire village of men had died to that dragon.
xxxxxThe Mamurra had come under the sun’s fading light. Luckily, I was close to Alice when it happened. She and a couple of her friends were playing in the village square when we heard the screams. “Alice! Together!” I cried. I pulled out two sharpened butcher’s knives as she ran to my side, just like we’d practiced. The other children gathered around as well, something I hadn’t planned on them doing.
xxxxx“He’s my Fierce Protector. Get your own,” Alice said, but when the first Mamurra rounded the bend, all the children cowered behind me. Not like I was any less scared, but my mind remained ice.
xxxxx“Alice, get in the smithy. Grab the pokers and blades there, and swing them at anything that tries to come in,” I told her. The other children followed her lead like scared little ducks, and I threw myself at the Marca. I had to keep it distracted to give Alice and the others a fighting chance.
xxxxxOur tussle lasted longer than I had wanted. My knives were great for hacking, but I hadn’t been trained in them like I had for the crossbow. They sank into crimson fur and my cries mingled with the canine creature I fought. When I stood above it once more, I was as red as he had been, and I had an audience.
xxxxxI stood before the smithy door as a semicircle of Mamurra growled and snapped at the air. Some had red muzzles, while others seemed to have bathed in what blood the village had left to give. They snarled, all two dozen of them, but none of them advanced.
xxxxx“Alice! Are you alright?” I called into the smithy. I didn’t take my eyes off the Mamurra, afraid of what would happen if I did.
xxxxx“I have a sword!” Alice said triumphantly, emerging from the smithy with her prize in hand. Immediately, the mass of Mamurra surged forward.
xxxxx“Stay back!” I yelled at them, and to my surprise, they obeyed. All but one Mamurra retreated back to their original places out of reach. The one stood, and as I watched, her black eyes began to bleed. As if wine had spilled across the rest of her coat, all her fur turned crimson. When she stepped forward, I moved in front of Alice, and the new Marca froze.
xxxxxThe Mamurra shuffled on the edges of my vision as their new leader ducked to her belly, folded back her ears, and began to crawl towards me. Her whine sounded almost as loud as the mill that no longer ran, but I still heard Alice’s words.
xxxxx“She looks like my Fierce Protector,” she muttered from behind me. Even though Alice seemed upset about it, I quickly grasped what might be happening.
xxxxx“Alice, stay here. If anything happens, jump inside and bar the door, got it?” I said. Thankfully, Alice did what I said, and I was left with the grovelling Mamurra.
xxxxxWhen the canine reached me, she rolled onto her back, showing me her belly and the red fur there. Carefully, I reached out a hand. With surprising speed, the Marca jumped up and began to lick at the blood on my hand. In my surprise, I pushed at her broad head with my other hand.
xxxxxWhere I had pushed her, a half-moon glowed briefly before disappearing into her coat. “He just used majik! Momma was right! Jack, Milly, we have to go!” I heard a young voice shout from inside the smithy. Immediately, all twelve Mamurra began to growl intensely. A small shriek came from inside, but when I stepped back to better protect the door, all sounds stopped. The growls silenced. The children within scarcely breathed.
xxxxx“Is it safe, yet?” Alice said from within the smithy.
xxxxx“Maybe,” I said over my shoulder. The pack responded to my voice with all tails rising to erect positions. “Send out one of the others,” I suggested. If this was going to hurt anyone, I was not letting it hurt Alice. One of the boys was pushed out, and he looked up at me with terror-filled eyes.
xxxxx“Come here,” I told him. Apparently, I needed to be more specific, though. As the child reached me, so did the ew Marca and a couple of the other Mamurra. I quickly snatched up the child, but nothing seemed to happen. The boy - Jack maybe - started to cry, but none of the Mamurra reacted. They all stared up at me with black eyes in white faces. “This one is a friend. Do not eat him,” I said. The canines milled about me, but the Marca quickly licked the poor kid’s foot and paced in front of me until I had space to put Jack down, which I did very slowly.
xxxxxCautiously, a single white form crawled forward, much like my Marca had. I stood over Jack as he cried, but was pleasantly surprised when the Mamurra simply licked at the boy’s hand. On an impulse, I grabbed one of Jack’s hands and placed it on the Mamurra’s wide head. A similar crescent glowed on that brow before disappearing. “You take care of this one,” I told them. With tail wagging, the Mamurra licked at the tears still on the boy’s face, but didn’t do anything otherwise life threatening.
xxxxxCarefully, I repeated the same process with the other children in the smithy. Alice was the hardest. “I don’t want another Fierce Protector! I have you!” she yelled at me. The poor grovelling Mamurra began to whine, but I crouched on my good knee and got level with her.
xxxxx“Don’t think of it as another me,” I told her. I almost told her to think of it like adopting a pet, but decided against the analogy. Not only were her pets not the best of creatures, but the Mamurra seemed to understand at least a little of what I said. “Think of it as making another friend, as if we’re joining the pack.” Immediately, the Mamurra began to bay into the night, those with companion children happily walking circles around their charges.
xxxxx“We are pack,” I tried again. This time, there was a number of yips and excited barks among the baying. Alice seemed to think her new companion funny enough to pat, which luckily resulted in the same crescent mark. Now that we’d avoided this crisis, there was another.
xxxxx“Momma’s never gonna take me back! I’ve been majiked! I’m not human anymore!” one of the boys cried. His Mamurra seemed distressed at the boy’s lack of enthusiasm.
xxxxx“Tommy! We’re alive because of the majik! Your momma always hated you, anyway! We’re going to a place with no bruises, but there’s going to be majik plenty if it keeps us alive. You wanna go back to your momma? Go!” Alice said. Tommy grew quiet, and though he and his Mamurra walked at the back of the pack, they followed us as I led Alice to our supplies and gathered them. It was high time we left this village.
xxxxx“Alice! Alice, can I come with you?” the other girl said, “Can I go to the place with majik?”
xxxxx“I suppose you can come, Milly. Jack can come, too if he wants,” Alice said loftily. The moment was slightly ruined as a scream echoed from what should have been Tommy’s house. Calls of monster and cursed ones flooded from a feminine voice, and Tommy ran back to the pack, tears staining his face.
xxxxx“I told you Momma wouldn’t take me back! Now what do I do?!” Tommy wailed. With a sigh, I stopped by the old bakery.
xxxxx“I suppose I’ll take care of you, then,” I said.
xxxxxYou?! I want to go home!” Tommy said. I sighed and collected a little more food and moved among my new charges. As I walked down the street, they followed, happily licking at my hands and feet in the most distracting way.
xxxxx“Tommy, we can’t do it on our own yet. It’d be better to live with a halfling than die because of your mother,” Jack said. He walked among the Mamurra as the most comfortable with his furry white companion. Though he had to reach up to pet it, he scratched the canine’s ears and neck thoroughly. The Mamurra reminded me of a big dog, but I quickly shook that thought from me. They were monsters known for their killing prowess, even if this pack was acting strangely.
xxxxx“I’d rather live with Momma than die with a cursed halfling! He kills everyone he comes in contact with! His troop. This village. I bet he even cursed his own family to die!” Tommy yelled.
xxxxx“I didn’t die,” Alice pointed out from beside me. I didn’t hear Tommy reply, but he apparently still followed as I led the rest of them out of the remains of the village.
xxxxx“What makes you think the halfling is a he? I think she’s much more like my mom than my dad,” Milly said, “and I think she can hear you. You should be nicer.” I smiled slightly at their debate of my gender, but had to look twice when I glanced their way. Even though I wasn’t sure even the Marca could carry my weight, Milly rode her Mamurra like a horse, which made sense, considering her parents’ role in the village.
xxxxxAlice tapped my arm as we entered the trees. “Are you a boy or a girl?” she asked when I looked down at her. I smiled and put a finger to my lips before focusing again on the pack of Mamurra. Large canines known for killing things now followed my lead. Was it because I’d killed their Marca? That didn’t make sense. Another one walked on my other side occasionally nipping at other Mamurra. Was it because of the blood? If it was, I wasn’t going to wash it off until Alice and I could safely escape them.
xxxxxI continued to walk into the night. The Mamurra followed, and eventually the children fell asleep. Milly slept on her Mamurra while Tommy attempted the same. Jack was dragging his feet as his Mamurra clamped careful jaws on the kid’s coat until I broke and put him on the dog’s back. Alice took some convincing, but she eventually allowed me to put her on the Mamurra’s back. They had surprisingly broad shoulders that made carrying children like this rather simple.
xxxxxAs the sun rose, the Marca took the lead. I wasn’t sure how I felt about it, but my brain was getting tired, and I’d just about lost any idea of what to do next. I followed the Marca until we reached a roomy cave. I hadn’t even realized how tired my legs were until I slumped to the floor.
xxxxxThe Marca curled up next to me as the rest of the pack settled in for a nice rest. “You won’t eat us, right?” I asked the canine. In response, I got a lick on the hand I raised to brush back my hair. I chuckled and curled up on the floor. Why wouldn’t they, though? Why were these large canines who could totally eat them following him and carrying children?
We Are Pack

((A/N: So, they don't really go with the prompt all that well, but I wrote a thing with Alice and the Halfling! Yay! Also, new creatures to create lore around. This was another case of "Hey. I think this is doe. Oh wait. It's not" so it was a little difficult to get past the original "Hey! I'm done!" phase. I think it's going better, though. I'm running late for the competition, though, so I haven't exactly edited this yet. It's a first draft, and chances of me writing another sequel are high!))
Last edited by BucketORandomness on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets