Dear mods: Please lock.

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Memorial Encounter

Postby BucketORandomness » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:48 am

((This is based on an assignment from my Creative Writing class. whoop whoop.))
Memorial Encounter

xxxxx“C’mon, Dad. Just because they don’t have mashed potatoes doesn’t mean you have to walk out like this,” Chelsea said, “You wanted chocolate this morning.”
xxxxx“Why would I want to go to Muppet Mooring? Sonya didn’t say anything about the Muppets,” Brian said, shoving his hands into the pockets of his coat. If he could just find the schedule, he’d understand what his daughter was talking about.
xxxxx“Dad, your hearing aids,” Chelsea said. She leaned over their small table and tapped the table in front of him.
xxxxx“I don’t want herring maids,” Brian said. He paused in his pocket searching, and realization crossed his face in wide eyes. “But I don’t want my hearing aids. They’re uncomfortable,” he said. He tucked his chin into his chest and stared at his daughter through large brows.
xxxxx“What can I get for you two today?” a young woman asked. She was dressed in the cafe’s colors.
xxxxx“Cranberry juice for him. Apple juice for me, please,” Chelsea said. She smiled up at the waitress and continued their order. Brian began to search for his hearing aids. Mysteries were always intriguing, but he needed to hear what he would be getting.
xxxxxA young couple from the table nearby seemed to be in some heated argument Brian was uninterested in, wine glasses looking more like decorations than tools for eating.
xxxxx“I just need to stand up for minute,” Brian said, already leaning forward to use the table for support. He could see Chelsea looking like she wanted to protest, but he held one thumb up and gave her a squinty-eyed smile. She smiled in return, and the old man started walking toward the restrooms at the back.
xxxxxAs he passed the younger couple, the woman bolted up from her chair. Brian caught a glimpse of ruddy cheeks and red eyes before he realized he was leaning precariously to one side. A set of hands grabbed at him before he could fall, and chatter he couldn’t decipher dashed over his head.
xxxxx“Dad, be more careful. That fall would have kept you from the reunion,” Chelsea said, pulling Brian upright. He waved her off as the man tried to pass by.
xxxxx“I’m so sorry. I told my date not to drink so much, but, well,” the man said, at once trying to help the old man and glancing out the door.
xxxxx“Chelsea, I don’t know why you’re talking about the Lord’s Supper, but please stay focused. We can’t keep the commander waiting because we took our time with lunch,” Brian said, carefully brushing his daughter off and moving toward the bathrooms once more. When he returned, there was a new guest at their table.
xxxxx“Dad, here,” Chelsea said and held out two very familiar machines. “You’ll want to hear this,” she went on, and Brian sighed and put the in his ears.
xxxxxAfter a bit of adjustment and tuning, Chelsea introduced the greying man as Steve. “He’s here in his father’s place for the reunion and brought his girlfriend along,” she said.
xxxxxBrian looked the younger man over. “Who was your dad?” he asked, trying to place why the young man looked familiar.
xxxxx“Sergeant Jacobe Roberts of the US Army,” Steve said. His back straightened slightly at the mention of the name, and Brian noted a very familiar half-gesture Steve made to his shoulder.
xxxxxBrian’s brow furrowed, and he dug around in his pockets until Chelsea handed him a small, worn album. “I know that name. I know that name,” Brian said, flipping through pages to the front of the book.
xxxxx“Could he have served with you?” Chelsea asked. A sudden face exploded in Brian’s memory, and a smile split his face.
xxxxx“Jacobe! Jake was a great guy. Did you know he worked at the last base I was assigned to? He was nice. Welcoming, too, even though he was the new guy,” Brian said, “He even went to lengths to smuggle in some beer from the Commander’s quarters.”
xxxxx“You knew my dad?” Steve asked. His eyes widened slightly and he stared directly at the older man.
xxxxx“Now, why would I know your dad?” Brian asked. He looked around the room for their food. “You were in the middle of a date, right? Sorry for interrupting.” Brian made to get up from his chair, already wondering if Sonya was hungry yet.
((A/N: Aight. More from Brian Stoll. I was given somebody else's character sketch, like the one I posted last, and I was supposed to write the two believably meeting. Considering the two characters were in completely different states, I had a bit of trouble with that bit, but I found a memorial somewhere between them and made up a kind of reunion of vets there *yay* That part at the beginning with Muppet Mooring was supposed to be him not using his hearing aids, and it was the closest thing I could think of, and all the confusion at the end was supposed to be the Alzheimer's starting to act up a little, though I don't think I did that very well. Honestly, I found this really frustrating, mainly because the character I was given was basically a younger carbon copy when it came to history, and I hated it. >.< I mean, I felt like I put a whole lot of work into Brian, and then this Jake guy is almost exactly the same. It kinda made me resent the assignment, which I think is reflected in the quality of this piece. Apologies, but I don't think I'll be writing any of at least this character combo.))
Last edited by BucketORandomness on Fri May 04, 2018 5:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Not disclosing gender or age
Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature
....More by Bucket
Open to making new friends!
It's my sig, but not my images
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Bucket's Writing Bucket

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:02 pm

I couldn't tell what the muppets thing was, but it was obvious to me when his Alzheimer's kicked-in. Lol, you just had to end it on a sad note, didn't you XD:
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Oddities

Postby BucketORandomness » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:14 pm

This unformatted block of text
Oddities

xxxxxDarkness clung to the treetops, the ever present kind that never seemed to turn grey. Its casual descent through the canopy was stopped only by the small glowing orb held in smaller hands. The light reflected off the sharp edges of the trees’ cascading curtains of deep green leaves. Odd clasped the glow-fruit to her chest as she shuffled across the ground. It dipped and swayed under her feet, only holding up where the roots of nearby trees interlocked and collected the dirt between them.
xxxxx“They’re going to be so excited when they hear,” Odd said to herself. She shuffled on, unaware of the danger ahead of her. One wrong step in the wrong direction ended her retreat. Instead of simply dipping beneath her feet, the ground tore, then split, then wasn’t there at all.
xxxxxOdd’s feet dangled over nothing. The root she clung to shivered with her weight. “Help!” Odd said. A frantic glance below revealed nothing but darkness and stray roots. Somewhere down there, the glow-fruit continued to fall, leaving nothing but darkness behind.
xxxxx“Odd? You down there?” a familiar voice said, accompanied by a more familiar face that peeked over the edge of the hole. It was covered in the same same fur that grew in small patches on her own face, though his was orange and almost hid those brown eyes that looked perpetually sad. All four of his long, pointed ears twitched with concern.
xxxxx“Matt!” Odd said. She would have smiled if the situation weren’t so dangerous. Her friend was here, and by the indignant huffs coming from above, Shine was here, too.
xxxxx“You’ve really gone and done it this time, Odd. I told you the ground was weak around here,” Matt said, reaching down with a hand covered in equal proportions fur, mud, and scars. Odd quickly grabbed his hand and scrambled out of the pit with his help. Odd didn’t need to look back at the gaping hole her fall had created to know there would be repercussions for it later.
xxxxxShine held aside the leaves of a nearby tree and let Matt and Odd into the safer, more sturdy ground around the roots. From this new position, Odd could see Shine more clearly than before. She sat straight-backed in her tree, her oversized scales providing a pointy armor that brushed away the sharp edges of the leaves. Her crest rose in a threatening halo around her head. She was a spectacular specimen of her kind.
xxxxxMatt’s face looked thunderous at the moment, but it was difficult to pull off threatening when he couldn’t even stand up straight. Instead, the orange fur gathered in small bushes over the brown eyes and flat nose typical for the Pasu. His knuckles brushed the ground at the ends of his long arms, clearing a small space of the old leaves that had fallen there.
xxxxx“Odd, what the heck happened earlier. You should know to be more careful of where you walk,” Shine said as Odd tried to hide her cuts from the light of the glow-fruit Matt had brought. Other lights floated in the darkness beyond the trees illuminated by Matt’s glow-fruit, all moving in the same direction.
xxxxx“Sorry. I dropped my glow-fruit and wanted to get it,” Odd said, finally relaxing into the safer embrace of the tree trunk. The merry voices of Pasu and Skela mingled into a strange sort of hush around each of the points of light out there.
xxxxx“You should’ve asked a Pasu to get it for you. Or better yet, get a Skela to pick you another one,” Matt said, attempting to brush the ever-present dirt off his arms. Odd watched as two lights quite obviously found each other and floated quickly away between the trees.
xxxxx“You know how they would have reacted to that,” Shine said from her perch in the branches, “ ‘So the Mik wants us to do all the work? How ungrateful.’ ” Shine did her best impression of a snobbish voice and gave a disdainful sniff at the end that was so familiar, Odd started giggling. The old insult was less painful when she could laugh.
xxxxx“At least then she wouldn’t have almost died! You know there’s nothing down there but death. She’d fall forever and still not reach the bottom,” Matt said. His hands fisted beside him, and he looked as if he would pace if the leaves hadn’t been so close. Odd’s laughter subsided as quickly as it had come.
xxxxx“Hey, stop fighting, okay? I’m perfectly fine thanks to you two, and we’re going to be late at this rate,” Odd said. She slowly moved to the drooping leaves of the blade-tree they were under and looked at Shine. Shine rolled her eyes, but she complied and pulled aside the dangerous curtain of leaves with her scaled hands.
xxxxxThey were the last to arrive at the Gathering. The giant stump that served as the central point was surrounded by circles of wary Pasu leaning down, knuckles brushing the dirt at the ends of their long arms. They spaced out evenly over the ground, leaving symmetrical rings of indents around the stump, their slight weight allowing them a place on the ground. The Skela, however, clumped in the branches of the trees nearby, whispering and laughing quietly enough to almost be polite. Their scales were large and often protruded at their shoulders or as a kind of crown about their heads. This was the place where the glow-fruit grew brightest, and the lights shown benevolently here at the Gathering.
xxxxxMatt and Shine went to their respective groups, and Odd did her best to avoid those already seated. She knew she only had two ears, and that her legs were too long and her hair the wrong shade of fishscale silver, but she liked the somewhat irregular patches of tiny scales and the clumps of soft fur that grew intermittently between them. Odd found it difficult to fit into either group. Those who saw her usually cast baleful looks or scalding comments her way, which only made Matt and Shine more special to her. Determinedly, she picked her way across the treacherous ground until she found refuge at the trunk of a dead tree at the back whose leaves had fallen sometime after the last Gathering.
xxxxx“Welcome, all! It’s time for the Gathering to begin,” a loud voice said from the stump in the middle. It came from a Pasu Odd knew was Shag, a larger specimen of the Pasu, even when stooped. “Platelet, leader of the Skela, is to lead this Gathering. Platelet.” Even if Odd couldn’t see over the heads of the other Pasu, she knew that an equally large Skela would be carefully coming down from the nearest branch to stand next to Shag on the stump.
xxxxx“Thank you, Shag. The Skela recognize this honor and hope to do it justice,” Platelet said. There was a general murmur from the crowd as Pasu shifted away and Skela grew quiet. “There once was a time when our peoples lived without fear of the dark. Our ancestors came here from a place known only as the Roofless Domain. They descended upon this place and named it Misrit after the capital of the Roofless Domain.”
xxxxx“I thought they named it after their brave leader,” a Pasu said nearby. They were quickly hushed by a group of Skela hanging out in the back, and Odd had to focus to hear Platelet’s voice over the din.
xxxxx“Misrit was a dark place, cloaked in eternal night until our ancestors came,” the Skela leader said, “They brought with them the glow-fruit, and the safety those fruit brought, though they could not have anticipated the changes that would occur.
xxxxx“The trees did not grow as our ancestors had expected. They developed the large, blade sharp leaves we all know. These leaves cut and scarred our ancestors until their leader, the first Skela, stepped up and protected the others from the leaves.”
xxxxx“You liar! Everyone known the leader was a Pasu,” someone said from the crowd. Mumbles of dissent passed through the crowd, and Platelet had to raise her voice to be heard.
xxxxx“This Gathering is led by the Skela, and I tell no lies. Do not disgrace this place with your false accusations,” Platelet said. Odd could not see her, but she guessed the leader had specifically directed the words at the dissenter. “As time went on, the differences between the first Skela and Pasu were passed on to their children, and the differences grew more extreme. Those with scales sired larger, more durable scaled children, and those with no defences grew more and more defenseless. Only the Skela could climb the blade-trees and harvest the fruits for the Pasu below, and so the relationship continues.”
xxxxx“Platelet, please do not forget the part we play in caring for Misrit,” Shag said. The crowd grew quiet again, and the leader of the Skela did not speak. “We, the Pasu, travel the ground and plant the trees in which you Skela live.”
xxxxx“Lies! The Skela depend on no one,” someone said. Odd just hoped whoever it was would be quiet. Platelet had been getting to her favorite part, and now there were so many interruptions.
xxxxx“Tell me, then, how you would replenish your trees once they got to be too old. You could not come down yourself, since your heavy scales would send you straight through the ground and into the Pit below. You may be young, but it wasn’t so long ago that we witnessed a Skela attempt to walk below and fall into the hollow beneath all our feet,” Shag said. Odd’s ears perked up at the sound of this new tale, but they soon fell again.
xxxxx“Shag, they may be your Pasu, but this is not your Gathering,” Platelet said, “Remember that.” Odd would have liked to hear more, especially since she knew what would happen next, but someone shouted somewhere closer to the stump. Shine and Matt came quickly through the trees, trying to be quiet while rushing through the foliage.
xxxxx“Odd, a fight’s breaking out. We have to leave before things get worse for you,” Matt said. He grabbed Odd’s hand and started leading her away from the Gathering.
xxxxx“It’s not like I wanted to hear the legend of the Tooth Tree. Again,” Shine said. Her eyes avoided contact, but her lower lip betrayed her real feelings.
xxxxx“It’s not a legend. Odd found one, right?” Matt asked. He was in front, so he didn’t look back at Odd, but she could feel the expectation in his question.
xxxxx“It seems to match the legend’s description, but I was hoping to confirm it once more before showing it to you. We’ll need another glow-fruit to find it again,” Odd said. She carefully put her feet exactly where Matt did, even if the ground seemed to sink a little under her scaled feet. A stray leaf brushed the top of Odd’s head as Shine let out a gasp.
xxxxx“You went beyond the village borders! Odd, you know the penalty for that. You’ll be sent to the Pit,” Shine said. She worried at her plate like scales, buffing out imaginary scratches. Matt and Odd were forced to stop, and Odd took the time to see how much fur had been cut off by the leaves.
xxxxx“Odd would never try to bring down the sky; she’s not like the first Mik. You know that as much as I do, so don’t tell anybody, got it?” Matt said. Shine looked him in the eyes long enough to make the silence uncomfortable before disappearing up the current tree. She returned a moment later with a glowing orb in her hand.
xxxxx“Here,” she said, tossing it down, “I won’t harvest any more for your adventuring, though. You know the others keep a steady count of the light sources around the village.” Odd thanked her and directed Matt toward the outer edge of the known.
xxxxxThe glow-fruit beat away the darkness at further and further intervals until the only one left was the single fruit Shine had gotten for them. “Go left here,” Odd said to Matt, tapping his shoulder.
xxxxx“Why that way? You’re lost, Odd. Just admit it,” Shine said. She perched on another branch, hidden by the blade-trees that could support her.
xxxxx“No, I’m not. The Tooth Tree is right that way, just past the stream,” Odd said. She reached up and carefully moved the nearest leaf.
xxxxx“I believe Odd. Come on, Shine, just this once?” Matt said. Odd pulled back quickly and examined as the cut on her hand began to well with blood. Shine said nothing, but she did part the leaves. Matt kept up a steady flow of chatter that kept up with Shine’s regular complaints until the trio passed the small stream.
xxxxx“This way!” Odd said, lunging forward. Matt squeaked as the ground beneath the two of them dipped dangerously and began to rip. He pushed her back, both of them falling through leaves onto more solid ground.
xxxxx“Odd, what were you thinking? You could’ve doomed us both,” Matt said. His eyes were wide, and it took him a few extra moments to stand up.
xxxxx“As it is, you both are bleeding. We should go back,” Shine said, quietly rustling leaves betraying her presence.
xxxxx“We’re so close. We can’t turn back now,” Odd said. Silence greeted her statement. “Matt, come on.” Still no response. “Shine, remember what’s at the top of the Tooth Tree?”
xxxxx“The Roofless Domain. A place with more light than a hundred glow-fruit, but that kind of light should be glowing around that tree right now, but the only light is the glow-fruit,” Shine said. For once, her scales were completely covered, and nothing gave away her presence except her mumbles.
xxxxx“Odd, I know you want to believe in the Roofless Domain, but don’t you think someone would have found it by now?” Matt asked.
xxxxx“It is real; I found it. I thought you would believe me, but if you want to go home, then take the glow-fruit and go,” Odd said, testing the ground in front if her and moving carefully. Shine sniffed and set off, away from them by the retreating sounds.
xxxxx“Odd, I’m sorry. Let’s just go to the tree. I’ll get the glow-fruit,” Matt said. He carefully retrieved the light source and continued moving. The blade-tree leaves hung about them, and the two crawled beneath the leaves for the last leg of the journey to the Tooth Tree.
xxxxxTheir crawl ended in a small clearing. In the center, a large tree spread branches with blank, circular leaves in a layered pattern, very different from the deep green of the blade-tree leaves they were used to. Gingerly, Odd reached up and touched one of the Tooth Tree leaves. “They’re not as sharp as the blade-tree leaves, but be careful,” she said. Matt understood, and for once, Odd took the lead; her half-formed scales provided more protection from these leaves than Matt’s fur.
xxxxxThey climbed up the Tooth Tree, Odd pushing aside leaves while Matt held the glow-fruit. The branches grew thinner and thinner until Odd finally pushed through a layer of dirt and crawled out onto it.
xxxxxOut here, there was space. More space than Odd had ever thought existed, and nothing stopping her from stretching up and standing tall. She looked up, and her breath caught. “Matt, come look at this,” she said as he crawled out behind her.
xxxxx“Odd, where are we?” Matt asked. His shoulders hunched forward around the glow-fruit, and the hitch in his voice didn’t go unnoticecd.
xxxxx“We made it. It’s the Roofless Domain. Look up there,” Odd said. She pointed up, and instead of the solid dark brown that the two of them were used to, thousands of tiny white lights twinkled above the treetops, accented by the biggest source of light either of them had ever seen. Odd laughed suddenly and pranced away. There were strange plants here, and new sounds all around that caught at her attention.
xxxxx“Odd! What about the holes? You’re going to make a hole in the sky,” Matt said. Odd’s laughter only increased at his statement.
xxxxx“My feet don’t sink here. Matt, we made it,” Odd said, but Matt stayed quiet, not moving from the entry point.
xxxxx“Odd, we have to go back. This isn’t safe,” Matt said. Odd spun around and glared at him.
xxxxx“Go back? Why would I go back? I finally found a place that is safe for me,” Odd said. Her eyes were wide as the light source above them, and she felt a small knot form in her stomach.
xxxxx“Odd,” Matt said, “There’s a reason the ancestors left this place.”
xxxxxOdd stopped gazing at the strange foliage around her and instead looked at her toes. Patchy fur and tiny scales stared back at her.
xxxxx“Come on. Shine might be lost back there. We have the glow-fruit after all. Let’s go look for her.” Matt said. He turned and dropped halfway down the opening. Odd didn’t move, and when Matt looked back at her, she didn’t look at him.
xxxxx“Odd?”
xxxxx“Don’t worry. You can come visit if you want to.”
((A/N: Huzzah! 5 drafts later, and I finally turned that unformatted block of text into something! Also turned it in for a major grade in my creative writing class, so here's hoping it goes well. It's like, the length of a legit short story, so I'n pretty pumped. I could see extending the story into Odd's adventure out in the Roofless Domain, or maybe finding out what really happened with the first Skela/Pasu/Mik and why they moved down. Maybe both. At the same time.))
Last edited by BucketORandomness on Fri May 04, 2018 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Woah, this has changed a lot! I like it :D
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BucketORandomness » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:44 am

Ranger of the North wrote:
Woah, this has changed a lot! I like it :D

I suppose it has changed a lot. All for the better, though! >^.^< I'm glad you liked it, too. I enjoyed writing it.

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Trapped

Postby BucketORandomness » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:20 am

Originally a school assignment.
Trapped

xxxxxShe sat there, smug as if she’d come to find her snare full. Her clawed hand gripped the phone as beady eyes gloated over a too long nose. The lights flickered as she stared at me. I had to pull the snarl off my face before the guards could pull me for “aggression” during a visit.
xxxxx“So, dearie, what did you want?” the woman croaked. “I can see you’ve still got your hair in that disgusting tail.” Everything from her lime paisley sweater to her slightly crooked teeth grated on my nerves.
xxxxx“Don’t mess with me! Where did you put it?” I asked her. It was admittedly acid, but she didn’t even flinch. Her pale hands did,’t show any more veins than normal, and her grey hair was still perfect as ever.
xxxxx“Put what? Are you looking for your clean shirt? I told you, I don’t have it.” Her grin stretched the skin on her face a little too much. Those coffee stained teeth flashed at me in the fluorescents.
xxxxx“The evidence! Where’d you hide the evidence of my innocence?” I was fairly certain the phone in my hand would break if I held it any tighter.
xxxxx“I’m not sure what you mean, dearie. Didn’t you get here because of your mistakes? Your own choice to go and do that to poor Miss Landonberry landed you here.” Her grin dissolved into a pitying frown, the one adults use on children who don’t understand why hitting their brother is wrong.
xxxxx“Don’t mess with me! I know you hid it. Do you have any idea how long I’ll be here because of you?” The glass between us fogged slightly with my breath. I ground my teeth and pulled back in time to see a hardening of her mouth. A spark of mirth jumped through her eyes.
xxxxx“I’m sure it is a length equally just for your crimes. It might not be as long as your hair, though. You should do something with it.”
xxxxx“You witch!” I hadn’t realized my motion toward the window until hands pulled me down and away. The phone rocked on the small shelf provided. Something trapped my hair, and it pulled as I struggled. It took too long to get her triumphant gaze around a corner.
xxxxx“You should do something with this hair. Wouldn’t want to pull it every visit,” a guard said. I glared at him, but he only grinned back. “I can get you to a stylist tomorrow. Maybe then you could let your hair down,” he said. I turned away from his gaze, hoping beyond hope that someone could get me out of this place.
((A/N: Hey! So, we've started our Flash Fiction unit in my creative writing class. This was our first assignment,
mainly focused on plot and hinting at more. Basically, we had to modernize a fairytale, then choose a section or scene from the given plot to write. I chose Rapunzel as my tale, though there are some really fun ones out there. It was really interesting trying to take something really familiar and make it different, but I think I did well with this one. In case you couldn't tell, I took "The literal witch keeps a princess locked away in a tower by casting a spell on it to keep her in" and turned it into "The figurative witch keeps him locked away in prison by withholding evidence that would prove his innocence." Almost definitely not going to write the rest of this particular story, though. Flash fiction isn't supposed to have the rest of it explained, so I'll just leave it here. >^.^<))
Last edited by BucketORandomness on Fri May 04, 2018 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:52 am

That class actually sounds like a lot of fun c: Great job!!
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Stray

Postby BucketORandomness » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:27 am

((A really old post from the usual thread. It's a cat, I promise.))
Stray

xxxxxWe had been wild, and we hated that we weren’t anymore. We ran with our small clan, protecting the mothers and hunting for the ones who were still too young. We ranged through the woods and scared off any who dared overstep the boundaries. Any, that is, except the Beasts.
xxxxxThe Beasts came with noisy machines and sharp tools that bit. They were noisy and scared off those they did not catch. Beasts have no thinking, no sense of boundaries or commitment or kin, so when they finally caused the last trees to fall and the grass to be covered in hot black rock, they did not find our den. We moved and adapted. We hid and splintered, and now we are smaller than before.
xxxxxNow, we hunt for rats, mice, and that which the Beasts decide is unfit to eat. We survive by fighting with those we once considered kin for the waste now considered food. Our mothers birth more, and we despair, for we can only protect the strong among them. Each cold, we grow more and more desperate until the Beasts discovered our existence once more. Suddenly, we were chased by their dogs and caught up in their nets. We were split once more between those who were fast and those who were faster.
xxxxxWe were taken by the Beasts to a place that was bright, loud, and crowded. There, we crouched in small cells that felt cold and too bright. Beasts passed by us and the little ones poked their paws in at us. Many of our younger members were taken away quickly, but the others weren’t so lucky.
xxxxxThe food came twice, once when the Beasts in blue came, and once before they left. Many feedings went by, and each day, our number dwindled. More animals came into the bright and crowded place, and we were forced to share our small spaces with strangers who also hated the place. We fought with them and made friends with them, and sometimes competed with them to convince the Beasts to take us away. It worked only sometimes.
xxxxxAfter a time, the Beasts in blue took us away, one by one, and those who left with them never came back. Our numbers dwindled. And dwindled. Eventually, there were only two of us left. Two littermates were all that remained of us.
xxxxxWe tried to look like we weren’t scared of the Beasts, that we were comfortable in the bright halls and small spaces and loud noises. It must have worked, because at some point the Beasts in blue pulled us out of our small place and put us in an even smaller one. We couldn’t see much of anything, and we tried to voice our displeasure, but nothing worked. Our voices were not heard, and our world became mobile.
xxxxxThe moving went on forever and ever, and when it stopped, we ran quickly away from the terrifying space. The world had changed, and there were so many new and scary things everywhere. Nothing was familiar to us. There were Beasts here, too, and they crooned and mouthed at us. We fled, together, into the darkest corners we could find. We watched and waited as the Beasts came and left through something that didn’t move when we pawed at it.
xxxxxThe space eventually became more familiar. It was square, but there were windows to watch birds from if we got bored. The Beasts here gave us food and water, and we didn’t exactly grow comfortable with the sand that made things disappear. The Beasts’ noises eventually started to make sense. One inflection meant soothing fur brush, another meant anger. The food noise was definitely our favorite.
xxxxxWe grew comfortable, and then we were let out into more of the world. It was not as large as our world had been at first, but we were happy to have more room to run and tussle like we should. We ruled the little part of the world our Beasts let us into, and we were never in want of entertainment. There were plenty of windows into the outside if we wanted to watch the birds, and the our kingdom was all ours for most of the morning hours.
xxxxxWe explored the little dwelling of the Beasts. We ate, we played, we ran around in the darkness each night. The Beasts squeaked at our antics, and they seemed to prefer us over each other at times. For our part, we chose the tall sleeping places that proved the most comfortable at the time. The Beasts seemed to take note of our positions, but we didn’t mind. They were finally letting us back into the outside.
xxxxxWe ran outside after dark and caught prey for the Beasts. The nearby cats didn’t become one of us. Our clan was the group of Beasts that fed us and kept us warm. We tried to teach them how to hunt properly, but they didn’t learn well.
xxxxxOnce, we went out to find them another lesson. It was dark, and the outside was full of possible scents we could use. One of them, though, was unfamiliar and dangerous. It was large and noisy, and we ran from it. We ran, but it chased us. Through the yards of other cats. It chased and chased, and we ran from it. We slinked quickly through the hole in the protective fence as something heavy landed on our tail.
xxxxxThe next few days were excruciating. We couldn’t move anything below the waist, and everything hurt. Drinking was a bother, and eating unthinkable. The Beasts tried to help, but nothing worked. Everything was pain up until the moment they took him away. I had been wild, and I hated that my littermate hadn’t been able to enjoy the safety and warmth for a little longer.
((A/N: I'm back with another short one! This was a picture of a cat, and kinda inspired by Warrior Cats and my own cats and cats in general. It was fun, but I don't see continuing this any more than this, unless I continue following my own cats' adventures, but I'm not sure that would be interesting in the long run. It's more sad than anything, actually. Anywho, I hope you enjoyed it >^.^<))

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

5 Seconds

Postby BucketORandomness » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:17 am

((School Assignment))
Five Seconds

xxxxx“Alex!” I say. My arms cross in front of me in fake anger as my brother hugs Dad for the five seconds we’re allowed. Mom, a politely obese woman, smiles at me. She’s already had her turn, so she’s sitting at Table 25 already. Finally, Alex lets go and I give Dad my hug.
xxxxxOne second. Dad is still taller than me, though he feels slightly stooped in my arms.
xxxxxTwo seconds. He smells like strange soap and new cologne, and I wonder if his parents sent him some.
xxxxxThree seconds. His green jumper is dusty today and slightly damp from the heat, the faded sleeves struggling to make it down to his wrists.
xxxxxFour seconds. I hold on tight as his small beard tickles my neck.
xxxxxFive seconds. It’s time to start the visit. We pull away and sit down at Table 25, the one with one seat almost in the pillar. Alex sits in that seat, the hardest one to get in and out of, and I sit diagonally from him to prevent sibling squabbles. The table doesn’t have a great view of the paintings on the carpeted walls in the visiting room, but we ignore the ever present security cameras and squeals coming from the kids’ play area nearby. If we’d been sitting anywhere past Table 38, there would have been a corner between us and the play area, but we’d also be closer to the guards, so I don’t particularly mind this spot.
xxxxxI watch Dad while he talks about his college courses and working in the dish pit and the special desserts he gets while he’s there. His hair has more grey than I remember, and his glasses still have that old piece of tape holding the nosepiece on while he leans forward and back on the tabletop.
xxxxxAlex and I eventually find ways to bother each other from opposite corners of the table, and Mom sends me to get some cards from the deck rack at the back of the room. I hurry back with a red and blue set, wishing the guards would stop staring at whoever went to the gaming shelves. Sometimes, like today, their gazes feel accusing. They make it harder to laugh and have fun with the limited time available to us.
xxxxx“What should we play this week?” I say, returning to my seat at the table.
xxxxx“Trash,” Dad says immediately.
xxxxx“Trash?” Mom and Alex sound confused, and we all wait for Dad to explain.
xxxxx“It’s a game one of my pod mates taught me. You start with ten cards face down, and you’re trying to flip them all over. The first one to flip them all over wins, and they get nine cards next time instead of ten.”
xxxxx“That sounds like ‘garbage’,” Alex says. I agree with him, and Dad gives a smile that can be read any number of interesting ways. The four of us take turns and shuffle the blue deck, and then I deal out the ten cards to each of us.
xxxxxDad wins the first three rounds by turning over all of his cards before the rest of us, and by the time Mom’s won a round, Dad has five cards, I have seven, and Alex has nine. We end up playing garbage the rest of the visit, though we don’t finish before the guards flash the lights off and on. That signals the end to our visit, and while the four of us pray and hug goodbye, the guards flip the lights on and off and on like a strobe and other visitors pass us toward the heavy doors at the front.
xxxxxOne second. I stand on tiptoe and kiss Dad on the cheek as the lights strobe on and off.
xxxxxTwo seconds. His greying beard tickles a little as he kisses me back and the lights flash once more.
xxxxxThree seconds. He lifts me slightly, and I hold on tighter through his rumbling laugh.
xxxxxFour seconds. I open my eyes again and see a blue uniform approaching from the back of the room.
xxxxxFive seconds. We pull apart and start to walk our separate ways.
xxxxx“Bye, Dad! Love you,” I say and hurry to catch up with Mom and Alex at our exit. I look back as we wait for the door to open and wave to Dad again through the babble of farewells nearby. He waves back from his end of the room, and the solid thud of the bolt moving turns me around and pushes me forward through the crowd at the door.
xxxxx“I’ll win next time,” Alex says in the small corridor to the next door.
xxxxx“Just because I had three left and you had seven doesn’t mean I cheated,” I say before he can accuse me again.
xxxxx“I’m still going to win,” he says, and Mom seems to have a good chuckle as she goes to get her license from that nice officer in the waiting room with all the other adults.
xxxxxAlex doesn’t get the chance to try.
xxxxxThe next time we come to the waiting room, it’s a Sunday, and the grumpy guards are in the guard’s front bubble of bulletproof glass and concrete blocks this time: petty Shark and his friend with the permanent frown. Mom hands them the paperwork while I put the car keys in a locker. Shortly after our identification goes in, Officer Shark calls our last name in his sandpaper voice.
xxxxxMom goes up amiably to collect our papers, and from our spot on the wall in the back, Alex and I see her stiffen slightly and lean forward. Inside the waiting room are familiar faces. The old lady with her walker is still wearing the fishing shirt under her back brace. The reserved, aging woman still wears her flattering dresses and those heels that set off the metal detector. The big man with the brown hair and well-fitting jeans is here with his young wife and nursing child. Perpetual Motion and his mom will arrive sometime after the guards start letting us through so he can run laps around the room without fear of tripping any of the older visitors or clashing with the other toddlers his age. The three wooden benches are all filled up, as are the four overflow chairs. People lean against the wall behind the benches, in front of the lockers, by the door, and over the heater. They even stand in the coat room to find space. Not much changes around here. Even the guards are the same.
xxxxxIt’s hard to hear over the general conversation going on around us, but she says loud enough for even us to hear, “What do you mean, ‘Not on the approved visit list’? We’ve been coming here for months!” Those close to her quiet down and shuffle a little farther away. Whatever is going on, Shark gives as short an answer as he can, as per the norm, and Mom stomps to our locker and grabs the keys, then fights the lock off of the locker.
xxxxx“Alex, Jordan, come on,” she says. She doesn’t even look at us as she thrusts the door open, and my brother and I hurry to keep up. Past the people in their chairs. Past the couples waiting in the coat room.
xxxxx“Mom? Mom, what’s going on?” Alex says. We’re huffing up the hill to the parked cars when we catch up, but Mom doesn’t say anything until we get to the cars.
xxxxx“You two have been taken off the visit list,” she says when we finally make it to our cars.
xxxxx“What do you mean?” I ask, “What happened?”
xxxxx“I don’t know, but I’m expecting Dad to call about it,” she says. My keys come flying at me courtesy of my brother, and he gets into Dad’s old Jetta to ride with Mom. I get in my own car and sit for a while in the driver’s seat. The Jetta creaks and groans as Mom climbs into her spot behind the steering wheel, and the old diesel engine shudders to life and stumbles away toward home. Taken off the visit list.
xxxxxOnce my eyes stop feeling like they’re about to explode, I turn my own car on and follow Mom home. The garage is dark and has that distinctive smell of concrete and sawdust, but I don’t take the time to revel in being home. I just want to find sanctuary in my room again.
xxxxxI do my very best to avoid Alex for the next few days, and I change the subject whenever Mom tries to talk about what happened. She takes classes on “being a court approved chaperone” before she can finally bring us back, though we’re not allowed to hug him anymore.
xxxxxIt isn’t long before we’ve started a new routine when it comes to the visit room. We don’t talk about it except to schedule. Mom comes from work, and I bring Michael from home.
xxxxxOne second. Mom wraps her arms around Dad before he stops moving.
xxxxxTwo seconds. She brushes his now long hair to one side and hooks it behind his ear.
xxxxxThree seconds. Dad leans down and kisses Mom, even though it’s against the rules.
xxxxxFour seconds. I look down at the tabletop in front of me.
xxxxxFive seconds. Mom and Dad sit together across from me and Alex. It’s time to start the visit.

((A/N: Aight. Hello, again. So, school is officially over, and now I can post all the things I wrote this year! Well, maybe not all of them. A lot of them are pretty bad. This was originally an assignment from class in our nonfiction unit, but I've changed all the names and stuff for safety things. It was surprisingly difficult to write this, but there's more to the story. I wrote this fairly soon after the events in it, but things have gotten better. The old lady doesn't wear a back brace anymore, but she doesn't come very often anymore, either. The lady with heels doesn't come anymore, but that's cuz whoever she was visiting got out, so there's good news on that front. The nursing child is up and moving around and often falls asleep in grandpa's arms during visits. Perpetual Motion has a little brother now, I think, but he's still running laps around the waiting room on Tuesdays instead of Sundays now. Shark still serves in the bubble, but we've got new guards, and a number of them actually seem to want to be there, which makes visits better. They took out the cards and board games, though. Things are going pretty well, all things considered. Mom's managed to get Alex and me permission to hug Dad, which made things so much more bearable. There's really nothing else going on, so a continuation on this would probably happen after he gets out.))
Last edited by BucketORandomness on Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:30 pm

“Alex doesn’t get the chance to try.”
My heart died in my chest. I THOUGHT SOMEONE DIED, DON’T SCARE ME LIKE THAT, RANDY! *sobs*

Also this is true? Wow. It was already... I don’t know how to describe it, but maybe poignant? Yeah. Poignant. And now I find out it’s real, too? That must be really tough, bro *hugs tightly*
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me