{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby The Worst Username » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:10 am

crazy-in-wonderland wrote:i'm a new member!
crazy-in-wonderland/ wonderland or wonder / / Yes always

Melon has the new members post their forms here so that they don't get buried under everything else. Welcome, anyways!

Do any of you look over your old writing and find ridiculous typos from when you were really tired? I just found something from about two years ago:
Worst 2015 wrote:"I can't believe we got this boat of of the harbor, by the way, in the middle of the morning without your husband knowing, by the way"
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Greenleaf » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:56 pm

Do you ever write stories set in different places, involving different cultures, other than the ones you yourself live or have lived in?
Yes, very frequently. Not many people want to read about Canada, unfortunately, so I always find myself writing stories with American settings or vague/fantastical ones. I even try to set stories in Canada purposefully but always find it not working, for some reason. It always feels cheesy to me. Maybe popular culture is just rubbing off on me.

How often do you notice differences in the writing of authors/writers from different cultures? (be it words or terms you're unused to, unfamiliar scenery that's familiar to the author, etc.)
I read a lot of British literature so I do find the occasional difference in vocabulary or a casual reference to a store I have no knowledge of. I also tend to read a lot of old stories, so that divide in both times and cultures can be pretty prominent. Some humour in the 1920s was very different from typical humour now, for example, as I've been learning recently while reading Jeeves and Wooster. There are always many surprising similarities, though. :)

How and when do you break the rules of grammar in your writing?
Run-on sentences ALL THE TIME. It's a genuine problem, lol. It's not for a particular reason, either. It just happens. I also abuse the use of semicolons and dashes. :P

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:03 am

How often do you notice differences in the writing of authors/writers from different cultures? (be it words or terms you're unused to, unfamiliar scenery that's familiar to the author, etc.)

Very often. I read books from many different time periods and places, and it really is like being in another world at times. It took me forever to figure out what "Z____" meant while reading some 18th century literature. From what I can figure the original author and/or publisher decided to censor it out, but not other words that people nowadays would find offensive. I find it absolutely fascinating. And to be honest, America itself has so many cultures, that I often come across startlingly different cultures written by American authors, and that's always fun.

There have been many a time actually where I believed a book was written by an American or British author, only to read the blurb in the back at the end and discover it was translated from something else, or the author is from a totally different part of the world. Certain genres just seem to transcend any cultural dissonance. There is one author that I love, who has written several historical fiction books set in the Americas and England, and she wrote one story set in modern day England. Even though I knew she was British, for some reason it wasn't until reading that book that it dawned on me - holy cow, this author is British and knows British things, and I am now totally in another world, and that world is Great Britain. It was spot on, down to the slang, the description of the houses and streets, the types of people you would meet - you just knew this author had experienced this and it was vastly different from my own experience. I don't read many books set in modern day, and to see how different it was from reading a historical setting, or from my own experience was really interesting.

Usually in dialogue I break it, to better fit the flow of the character's speaking voice. Depending on the individual the character's writing or thinking will also break grammar rules. I will also purposefully use sentence fragments or run-on sentences in certain places in the narrative to place emphasis on what's happening.

I also tend to be a lot more casual in my writing and grammar on a first draft, and tidy it up on the second run.

Do you ever write stories set in different places, involving different cultures, other than the ones you yourself live or have lived in?

All of my stories are in different places than from what I've lived in. And the majority involve vastly different cultures. Sometimes fantasy, sometimes historical. I strive for historical accuracy in my stories, but it can often be a hard because the culture and values and day-to-day experiences are so vastly different. Speech, for example is hard to get across correctly, partly because we have no way of knowing for sure how people spoke before recording devices were invented. Different words had different meanings, and different beliefs and concepts mean something that was meant one way in old times can be taken vastly out of context in modern times. So it's always a delicate balance remaining true to the culture while adapting it so a reader in a modern culture can understand and enjoy it.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:14 am

I don't actually notice it very much tbh. Not sure why... XD

In dialogue, because people don't care about grammar when they're talking. Also I often start sentences with and, or but.

Not really, though I usually set my stories in different worlds.

I've posted this before, but I'd love it if people could take this survey if you haven't. Thanks heaps!
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Code: Select all
[b]Which relationships do you like best; which strikes a chord in you? (romance, ordinary friendship, brother-sister, friendship borne of shared hardships/experiences, parent-child etc.)[/b]

As for me, I really, really love the deep friendships that people get from suffering and (possibly) overcoming obstacles together. Y'know the comradeship you see between soldiers in old war-stories? I love it. <3
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:46 pm

Which relationships do you like best; which strikes a chord in you? (romance, ordinary friendship, brother-sister, friendship borne of shared hardships/experiences, parent-child etc.)
I love the friendship that's been forged out of shared years of struggle. It's extremely underutilized, probably since it's really rare in real life too. And I don't mean that the characters are friend for one book, one battle, then they trust each other fully. Really the best type is when the friendship surpasses the story, unless its a really long story that covers a wide amount of time, like LOTR, and even in that the four hobbits have know each other for years. But when they've been friends long before the events of the story and they'll be friends long after, unless they're dead, it just is a wonderful thing to see that can enhance the story in a million different ways, little ways even.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:30 am

Which relationships do you like best; which strikes a chord in you? (romance, ordinary friendship, brother-sister, friendship borne of shared hardships/experiences, parent-child etc.)

I love a variety of different relationships, but definitly deep, long-lasting friendships are my favorite. My absolute favorite type of story is where two characters are thrust together on a journey and despite their differences and intial distrust become good friends through there adventures and shared experiences, and then at the end that friendship is tested and proves to be strong. Books like the 'Knight and Rogue' novels, the 'Nightrunner' series, 'The Man Who Would Be King', and movies like 'A Majority of One' and 'Ladyhawke' are some of my all time favorites. And yes a few of the relationships are painted romantically, or the story involved romance, but all of them focus on friendship first and foremost.

I also really like writing rivalries - both friendly rivalries and more serious rivalries. And I've always been interested in parent/child relationships in my writing.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:40 am

If anyone has ever watched Breaking Bad, the relationship between Jesse and Walt is probably my favorite thing in the entire world. It's toxic and selfish and sometimes awful but at the core of it they care about each other deeply, even if they both do horrible things to each other. I don't know, I just love that dynamic lol
Also parent-child type relationships, like Joel and Ellie from the Last of Us or Logan and X-22 from Logan.
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Greenleaf » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:50 am

I'm always a sucker for romance because I'm hopeless, but deep, meaningful friendships are always beautiful to witness.

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:04 am

I agree with Ranger, i like the bonds formed through hardship. And like Ranger, I like the bonds formed between those in the army or something. I think that's why the Third Doctor's era is my favourite Doctor Who era
I also like the stern, seemingly uncaring character type but who is actually super devoted to his friends.
Also parent child relationships, even better if the parent isnt the real parent XD
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren