{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby The Worst Username » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:42 am

@Greenleaf
    Thank you! And it doesn't look like you're having trouble; those were pretty good.

Code: Select all
[b]Can you type accurately without looking at the keyboard?[/b]

Code: Select all
[b]What is one flaw in your writing that you have recently overcome?[/b]
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Moonblaze-Angel » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:58 am

Can you type accurately without looking at the keyboard?

Kinda sorta? I can do it pretty well, I suppose, but not 100%. Maybe about 85%? Looking at the keyboard is how I usually type, so it's a little weird to not look at it.

What is one flaw in your writing that you have recently overcome?

Psh, nothing? All of my flaws are going to be there forever. No way I can fix that many things. I suppose I have been working on conclusions in non-fiction papers, though, so that could count.
Moonblaze-Angel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:07 am

Um.
No.
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:20 am

I can if I can see the screen, but if the screen isn't there it degrades to about 60-50%

Umm... No. No I haven't.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kolechia » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:13 am

How is your writing influenced by movies, music, and other art forms?

I have taken inspiration from a lot of sources when it comes to my written work. I actually took a lot from Frankenstein (I know the book pretty much inside out...I studied it non-stop for six months in school and have written 2-3 exams on it). From there my language style improved, my description, the way I wrote emotions as well as a certain character in my story: Victor. I find it amusing as I had that character before I even knew about the book yet I realised how similar characters they are. From there I just tweaked him to make his actions and behaviour more realistic as well as relatable.

At the start, he was just an ass for no reason and was just horrible to everyone. Now he is rude and snappy towards people as he isn't used to company and doesn't know how to react when people are nice towards him. Of course, there is more to his character than just that but I noticed my characters have become more detailed too. Victor was also sorta based of Squidward too haha

As dumb as this sounds Sergiu was heavily based off a mixture of Papyrus and Spongebob. There were sorta my main inspirations for creating his personality. I wanted him to be childish but still be charming. I wanted him to be grown up and mature when he needed to be and always be a person you can rely on: he would trust you no matter what. I didn't want him to just be an annoying, childish, constantly happy idiot and that was his only character trait because otherwise, he wouldn't be very likeable.

I would say my language and descriptions have improved the most. I sort of just used a thesaurus more and that really helped. Trying to improve on punctuation next but that is going to be a struggle.
Last edited by kolechia on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxx
.✦ Charlie - He/They - Adult ✦.

.✦ There's No Night Without Stars ✦.

Hello! I don't tend to use this site much anymore but I'll still pop on every now and then. I hope to make some new friends regardless.
xxx
kolechia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:38 am

My grammar is much better, and my characters used to all sound the same when it came to dialogue; now I can do more unique voices.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:36 am

Yes! Quite fast too, my mom is constantly amazed. Sometimes I need to see the screen, but other times I can close my eyes and let my hands guide me.

Definitely my characters. They've become more developed and "real", most of the time it was only the villains that seemed three dimensional, but now even my heroes and secondary characters are complex. Naturally, there is still progress that needs to be made, but I'll get there eventually.
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:21 pm

Yup. :D it's really satisfying. XD One of the people who does nano where I live says she likes not having to look at the keyboard because she can just stare at people while writing accurately and creep them out. XD

Hmm...Maybe commas? I know how to use them a lot better, thanks to Grammarly! XD

I started my Camp story, the sequel to the Omega Trials. So far I've done like 200 words, and I am currently writing this so I don't have to write more of Beta Quest! Yay! If anyone is interested, here's the start. :D For those of you who have read OT, it's from Veronica's POV

Pain. Her face was on fire, burning to ashes. She couldn’t breathe, couldn’t see, couldn’t hear. The only thing she knew was pain. It engulphed her, drowning out anything else. The burning pain, making her want to claw at her face.

She was burning, she was on fire. Her body was crumbling to ashes and she couldn’t stop it. She wanted to scream but her mouth was fire.

She stood in a large room, strange things around it. Two figures stood in front of her, one dressed in purple and holding a small animal, the other a young man, a cut along his chin. She felt like she should know them, but the pain was too much – she couldn’t think.

She was pulled back, and suddenly the two figures vanished. The pain became more intense, and she let out a whimper. The world was dark, an unfriendly world that offered her no comfort.

She heard voices, calling her name. She saw a face, looking over her worriedly. But she didn’t care. The pain was so much. The pain. The dark returned, but this time it was bliss. A silent, soft bliss that offered no pain.

She drifted in and out of the blackness. She passed between silent still moments when she felt nothing and moments of blinding pain. But there was something else – something much worse than her flaming face. A pain deep inside her, an aching in her heart.

Somehow it was worse than the burning fire.
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Greenleaf » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:36 pm

Kind of? I never learned to type conventionally, though, so sometimes I get the letters mixed up.

I've learned recently how to be more concise, though I'm still working on it, lol.

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blackbird. » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:31 pm

can you type accurately without looking at the keyboard?
        admittedly, not really. over the years i've improved a lot but i always need to have a finger on the backspace button just because my typing accuracy isn't that great when i'm not looking at the keyboard.

it's more trying to overcome at the moment, but i've identified the problem, which is the first and most integral step. i find that the reason my writing isn't that good is that i put too much exposition and prose and forget to treat writing as art. writing is more than just telling a story and encompasses so much more than plot. i used to use a lot of literary devices and all that other fluffy stuff but after a while i thought it distracted from the plot so i stopped. but now i find that i have too much plot and too little aesthetic in my writing. i suppose it's all a matter of finding a balance and figuring out my own writing style!

blackbird.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me