{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby Musicality » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:53 am

When you make a character, do they become real to you?
Oh yes.. I'm quite crazy in the sense that I sometimes "talk" to my characters to get their pov on things. It really helps me actually bc it forces me to A) look at my situation in a different way B) relate to my characters and C) Get to know them better- even if they are created by me.
❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊
I adore cats, musicals (esp. If/Then),
singing, and chatting it up with new people!

Hey everyone! I'm Musicality!
I used to be "The Succulent Queen". <3

❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊
Musicality

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:27 am

When you make a character, do they become real to you?
    Of course! I'm not a very sentimental person, but when it comes to my characters...I pretend that my story is an alternate dimension and my characters all live there as real people; my "novel" (I use the term novel loosely" Is just a window into their world. I know they're not real, but I do pretend they are. No one really lets go of childhood entirely, I suppose.

Speaking of,
Code: Select all
[b]How has your childhood influenced your writing?[/b]
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:35 am

How has your childhood influenced your writing?

I've been an avid reader since I was very, very young and that was what inspired me to start writing. Also, when I wrote my first story in the fifth grade, my parents and teachers were very supportive of it. They would read my writings and give me lots of praise, which I think correlated writing with pride and happiness in my mind from a young age.
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Greenleaf » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:20 pm

I became a voracious reader after third grade, which helped improve my vocabulary and grammar sense a lot. These books also helped influence my writing style a lot - I had a lot of stories inspired by the books I read back in those days (like Warriors and the like). I'm still trying to find my own writing style, so it fluctuates a lot depending on what books or media I happen to absorb.

I won a silly little poetry competition when I was ten, and that's the thing that really jumpstarted my writing, I think. My parents and friends have also been, for the most part, very supportive, and I had a lovely seventh grade English teacher who encouraged me a lot.

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Pyjaks wrote:Definitely. Once I get invested into a character I start seeing them in my everyday life- I'll hear a song and think "this describes them" or be in a situation and wonder how they'd deal with it, lol.

LOL, I used to not listen to relationship based songs when I was younger because I couldn't relate, but now I just close my eyes and envision my characters. Some love songs fit certain relationships, too, it's quite nice, actually.

I read a lot (still do) and my parents always read to me. That is a definite influence. However, I also used to spend most of my days playing with my plastic dinosaurs or animals (I hated dolls, I barely ever played with the Barbies my mom got me. I was content with the dollar plastic dinosaurs at WalMart. They were more violent, LOL.) I use this as my greatest influence, and the basis when I say that I was "born" a writer. I made worlds, characters and endless stories with my toys. Sometimes I long to remember some of the older stories (I started running out of ideas with the newer ones, so they're not as good), and rewrite them on paper. Thankfully, I still remember some of the stories and most of my characters, some of whom are now resurrected into a novel. Their toy counterparts are still on display in my room, and most likely will always be.

The thing that really jumpstarted my writing, and not just story-making, was when I shared my first story with a homeschool writing class. I wasn't able to finish the first chapter (it was only one or two pages long with big font) and the teacher actually sat with me at lunch because she wanted to hear more. I even withheld the second chapter (I lied and said that was all I had) because it contained a fight scene I thought would be too "graphic" for a Christian teacher to hear. :lol: If only my younger self could read the actually graphic scenes I've written now. Anyways, she complimented me and that was a tiny bit of encouragement. Naturally, I got tons of compliments from my mom. But my biggest writing practice were the roleplays I was involved in during my late teenage years (somewhere from sixteen to eighteen, I think).
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Megaguirus wrote:
Pyjaks wrote:Definitely. Once I get invested into a character I start seeing them in my everyday life- I'll hear a song and think "this describes them" or be in a situation and wonder how they'd deal with it, lol.

LOL, I used to not listen to relationship based songs when I was younger because I couldn't relate, but now I just close my eyes and envision my characters. Some love songs fit certain relationships, too, it's quite nice, actually.

I read a lot (still do) and my parents always read to me. That is a definite influence. However, I also used to spend most of my days playing with my plastic dinosaurs or animals (I hated dolls, I barely ever played with the Barbies my mom got me. I was content with the dollar plastic dinosaurs at WalMart. They were more violent, LOL.) I use this as my greatest influence, and the basis when I say that I was "born" a writer. I made worlds, characters and endless stories with my toys. Sometimes I long to remember some of the older stories (I started running out of ideas with the newer ones, so they're not as good), and rewrite them on paper. Thankfully, I still remember some of the stories and most of my characters, some of whom are now resurrected into a novel. Their toy counterparts are still on display in my room, and most likely will always be.

The thing that really jumpstarted my writing, and not just story-making, was when I shared my first story with a homeschool writing class. I wasn't able to finish the first chapter (it was only one or two pages long with big font) and the teacher actually sat with me at lunch because she wanted to hear more. I even withheld the second chapter (I lied and said that was all I had) because it contained a fight scene I thought would be too "graphic" for a Christian teacher to hear. :lol: If only my younger self could read the actually graphic scenes I've written now. Anyways, she complimented me and that was a tiny bit of encouragement. Naturally, I got tons of compliments from my mom. But my biggest writing practice were the roleplays I was involved in during my late teenage years (somewhere from sixteen to eighteen, I think).

I didn't even think about role plays! I started roleplaying when I was 9 or 10 and those DEFINITELY made me wanna write more. What I wouldn't give to go back and read some of those godawful role plays :P
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Pyjaks wrote:
I didn't even think about role plays! I started roleplaying when I was 9 or 10 and those DEFINITELY made me wanna write more. What I wouldn't give to go back and read some of those godawful role plays :P

LOL, the first roleplay I joined I decided to enter one of my now most favorite villains, who started as a simple "one shot villain" for the most bizarre love story I've ever written (to put it short, it had to do with a woman who was turned into a werewolf by a scientist, and later encounters a man made into a weird type of "zombie" by a witch, because his then girlfriend wanted his life to be saved. Blah blah blah, bizarre things happen, blah blah blah, happily ever after). Anyways, the owner of the roleplay said that my villain was too much of a Mary Sue, so I edited her to fit the roleplay better. Then that died, and next thing I know Nightshade the dragon witch is born.

Okay, well shoot, now I want to rewrite that bizarre story. Welp, I know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow.

As you were born to do,

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:39 pm

Megaguirus wrote:
Pyjaks wrote:

LOL, the first roleplay I joined I decided to enter one of my now most favorite villains, who started as a simple "one shot villain" for the most bizarre love story I've ever written (to put it short, it had to do with a woman who was turned into a werewolf by a scientist, and later encounters a man made into a weird type of "zombie" by a witch, because his then girlfriend wanted his life to be saved. Blah blah blah, bizarre things happen, blah blah blah, happily ever after). Anyways, the owner of the roleplay said that my villain was too much of a Mary Sue, so I edited her to fit the roleplay better. Then that died, and next thing I know Nightshade the dragon witch is born.

Okay, well shoot, now I want to rewrite that bizarre story. Welp, I know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow.

OMG this is giving me so many flashbacks. I used to get called out for making Mary Sue characters as well. I would get sooo offended even though I hardly knew what a Mary Sue was :lol:
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:51 pm

Pyjaks wrote:
OMG this is giving me so many flashbacks. I used to get called out for making Mary Sue characters as well. I would get sooo offended even though I hardly knew what a Mary Sue was :lol:

That's why I'm lucky I started when I was older. I could think soundly enough, and wanted to better myself so much, I took any suggestions and criticism. Though, I'm not bragging, when it came to my pets I would get defensive like mad, and most of the characters I used for roleplays were too new, so I wasn't bonded with them yet.

As you were born to do,

Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby emoji movie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:53 pm

I was an avid reader from a super young age, as far back as I can remember. I'd borrow many books past the limit our school library allowed us to borrow (our school librarian was pretty lit so they let me), and I'd love to read well into the night with a flashlight and stuff. I didn't really go to any writing classes, and I don't think my parents encouraged me too much (just kinda the normal 'aw that's nice sweetie', I think my sister even told me I sucked once?? To be fair I was terrible at writing in grade three xD), but writing kinda came naturally to me.

I think I began to roleplay back in grade three? I was a huge fan of the warrior cats series so I would literally join only those lol. When I think back to it, all I can imagine is the crINGE.
emoji movie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me