{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby Nitro Indigo » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:13 pm

I was thinking that the protagonist would join a group of the last fliers in the world. So basically, Guardians of Ga'Hoole during the day.
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:56 am

Just the fact that you know what Guardians of Ga'hoole is makes me want to read your story now.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:35 am

I haven't written it yet. I don't even have any characters for it yet. That being said, I think Ga'Hoole is what made me want to write about birds in the first place.
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:30 am

Same, I have an idea for a story, but it's gotten buried with everything else I'm doing. It may end up being part of the legend base for my story world.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:14 pm

I'm writing this Pokémon fanfiction called Journey of Tides (and I already have a plot outlined, since I came up with the idea a few months ago), and it's basically a journey through the ocean. I've made a YouTube playlist of ocean-related music to listen to while writing it once I get around to that - does anyone know what to put in it? I think it might help improve my writing focus.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:41 am

I have another idea for an original story that - shock, horror - I actually have a conflict for. Basically, it's about a flying bird who goes out exploring with xir friend, and the next thing xe knows, xe's turned into a flightless bird (perhaps a swimming one?). While learning to adapt to xir new body with the help of someone who's always been that species, the transformed bird and xir friend hear from a wandering albatross (maybe) that a wise bird might know why the protagonist transformed, so the duo set off to find the wise bird. Also, the friend feels guilty for inadvertently leading the protagonist into danger.
What species should they be, though? I sort of want to protagonist duo to be birds of prey, but what? I also want the birds in this story to come from the same general area in real life.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:30 am

Nitro Indigo wrote:I have another idea for an original story that - shock, horror - I actually have a conflict for. Basically, it's about a flying bird who goes out exploring with xir friend, and the next thing xe knows, xe's turned into a flightless bird (perhaps a swimming one?). While learning to adapt to xir new body with the help of someone who's always been that species, the transformed bird and xir friend hear from a wandering albatross (maybe) that a wise bird might know why the protagonist transformed, so the duo set off to find the wise bird. Also, the friend feels guilty for inadvertently leading the protagonist into danger.
What species should they be, though? I sort of want to protagonist duo to be birds of prey, but what? I also want the birds in this story to come from the same general area in real life.

It'd be pretty cool if they were from New Zealand!-?
Although it will likely be easier to write with birds you're familiar with c:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:26 am

There lies the problem... Most small flightless birds are from New Zealand, which is literally on the opposite side of the world from where I live. In my ideas so far, the level of anthropomorphism is Civilized Animal (think Guardians of Ga'Hoole), so maybe I could have some kind of proto-bird-Zootropolis? Except I want this to be an adventure story...
(It's late at night here.)
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:01 am

Nitro Indigo wrote:There lies the problem... Most small flightless birds are from New Zealand, which is literally on the opposite side of the world from where I live. In my ideas so far, the level of anthropomorphism is Civilized Animal (think Guardians of Ga'Hoole), so maybe I could have some kind of proto-bird-Zootropolis? Except I want this to be an adventure story...
(It's late at night here.)

There's many relatively flightless birds. Chickens and other poultry for one. Yeah, yeah, they may fly up into a tree every now and then, but they don't fly like you'd think birds fly. And they're all over the world, even though the original chicken, the Junglefowl, are in Asia.

And in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with writing about an animal you aren't familiar with. Just research about it. And you can also have an adventure story with a Zootropolis, just don't spend all of the story in it. Many adventure stories have the main character starting out in a city or town and then exploring outside of it. Lastly, if you make this into its own universe, you don't need to be grounded to real world distribution of animals. That's what I did with my dinosaur novel.
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:09 am

Hmm... good point. Maybe the protagonists could be from a "multicultural" (multispeciesal?) town? And one of the two species could be mentioned as coming from far away? I want the protagonist to meet a member of the species she transforms into relatively soon, or maybe she already knows one by the time the story begins, because I want a scene where the protagonist is taught how to adapt to her new body. ("I don't want to look at the sky; I want to be in the sky!")

Also, I sort of got the idea of "character who can fly gets transformed into something that can't" from wondering what would happen after the events of a Cars fanfiction, of all things. Of course, as ScytheRider says, there's a difference between inspiration and plagiarism.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me