❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby sparrow; » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:44 pm

Have you ever suddenly come up with a character when you were close to dosing off?:
Yep! Except I tend to lie in bed for an hour or so before falling asleep, and I just plot, worldbuild, create characters, think up stories, etc. I like to plan out things in that weird half-awake stage, because it makes the world more interesting. Then I'll remember it, or occasionally write it down, and either use it or laugh at how stupid it was in the morning.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
text text text text text
text text text text text
text text text text text

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
link goes here | link goes here
link goes here | link goes here
signature credit
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
text text text text text text text text text

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sparrow;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:04 pm

winged-backpack wrote:@Ranger
I love your drawing! Your character looks super cool! I'd do the 'yours' thing, but I don't really use the Oekaki to draw.
Thank you so much! :D I'm pretty bad at humans (and let's be honest here, drawing in general lol) so I'm happy I'm happy with this one :D

winged-backpack wrote:Soooo I'm thinking about writing something about these two characters. They're OCs of mine, and their backstroy is they were both cursed by the same male witch for turning down his romantic advances (separately, not together) so he cursed them to be part plant in revenge...and now they're dating. Their dynamic is Cresencia is part cactus so she's terrified of hurting people and tends to push people away and seem really mean as a result, and Flo is part cotton which makes her really fragile, but she's just kind of flaky and forgetful, and Cres loves her because she can't get hurt by her spikes because she's made of cotton and can't be hurt. What do you guys think, would you be interested in a story about these two. Cutesy romance-y stories are not my usual style at all, so if it's something you would be interested in seeing, I might give it a try.
Not my style, either XD But aspects of it sound p interesting!
What does the witch do when he realises what's going on? o,o

Have you ever suddenly come up with a character when you were close to dozing off?
Not while dozing-off (or at least, I don't remember it happening ;p) but definitely in my dreams!
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:35 am

Have you ever suddenly come up with a character when you were close to dosing off?:
Nope, when I doze off it's more instant or not at all.

@Ranger
I reckon the witch would probably just get really mad, but he's a bit of a defeatist so he'd probably give up altogether at that point. I might give him a bumbling sidekick type character who tells him what's going on. I'm not sure though.
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby geto » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:04 am

What is your favorite aspect of worldbuilding?
Ahh don't really like it but I love to build them based off on mythicality/nature. I dislike building modern worlds though, they've just too many things I need to focus on and that's pretty tough for me.

What are common sources of inspiration for your plot and/or characters?
Music or movies that I'm basing them off of.

Do you tend to struggle with plot or characterization more? Why?
Plot. UGH.
Characterization is never a problem as I tend to build them according to what setting I have in mind for them. But plot. Oh sweet plot, I could always come up with something in my mind and can never find a way to finish it because I'll just up of a good beginning, take forever to reach the climax, and then I'll be stuck trying to find a way to end the story.

See. The problem that lies with me is that I'm able to think up of little snippets of the story but can never place them together:')

How do you pick names for your characters?
Funny thing is..since my brain cells are slowly wasting away on school work, I'll scribble on a piece of paper and I'll see what the doodle looks like as close as possible to a name, and voila, new name!

Does art play a role in how you plan, write, or edit your novels?
Not really, I plan the plot out or a certain type of scene, and I draw it out, simple!;)

What are some tactics you use to develop your characters?
Nothing much really, just maybe include putting headphones and blasting some emotional music and then lying in bed with all the lights turned off and staring off into nothingness.

Then also thinking of the character you want in a certain type of scene, think how he/she will react and slowly develop him/her from there.

How do you challenge yourself with your writing?
I've already won an award for most unfinished plots amirite:'))

Okay, but seriously, I search up any kind of prompts I can find and I'll try to write a story from there. Examples that I've wrote off of prompts could be found here.
nothing 2 see here! finally back after a long long while.

struggling college art student. he/him.
geto

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BucketORandomness » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:41 am

@Seelie / anyone in want of a prompt. I literally have a book of 652 prompts I am willing to share. Ask and it shall be given to you. Not all of them can be turned into a story (Write an ode to an onion) but some of them are good for technique (Your houseplant is dying. Tell it why it needs to live!) and general character building (You are a pirate/astronaut. Describe your perfect day) So there's really a lot of things that I can share if you are in want of something to write about. Just a thought >^.^<

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Not disclosing gender or age
Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature
....More by Bucket
Open to making new friends!
It's my sig, but not my images
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:45 am

Oooh, what's the name of the book?

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BucketORandomness » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:53 am

"642 Things to Write About"
Kinda has a notebook-paper cover on it. Cute backstory included

*Edit: Toally thought it was 52. Sorry for the misnomer
Last edited by BucketORandomness on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Not disclosing gender or age
Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature
....More by Bucket
Open to making new friends!
It's my sig, but not my images
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:57 am

Huh, looks good, I might get it myself.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shrumpy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:16 pm

What is your favorite aspect of worldbuilding?
i love putting in r=the smaller details like names of places or types of creatures and characters names

What are common sources of inspiration for your plot and/or characters?
i get a lot of inspiration from already existing characters in movies and tv shows, fanfiction, and people in real life

Do you tend to struggle with plot or characterization more? Why?
for me, it's really easy to create a character, because since humans are so complex and also simple, any traits can fit together. but with plots, i struggle more because i come up with all these issues and struggles the character has to go through and i write them down, but it's difficult to piece them together as a plotline and what order they should go in

How do you pick names for your characters?
i love picking names from ancient cultures and mythology to add something to my character

Does art play a role in how you plan, write, or edit your novels?
for me, writing is a type of artform. when i'm writing, i don't usually draw anything out because i can see everything perfectly in my head and find a way to describe them with words

What are some tactics you use to develop your characters?
the majority of my characters come to me at random. i think of a lot of characters/stories/plot twists really late at night and in the shower

How do you challenge yourself with your writing?
i don't really like challenging myself in writing because for me, it's a way for me to materialize all my ideas i have stored in my head. i get challenged in writing when it's for school, but i like writing stories for me because they're more of an escape and a stress reliever unless you're writing a crucial scene
shrumpy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ThunderCedar » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:06 pm

Here comes an unpopular opinion

what are your thoughts on werewolves and vampires always being "hot" or "sexy" in ya novels?
I see nothing wrong with it. Lots of people really like it. I get people think of them as monsters, but hey - they don't exist. It's not like you can tell people they don't look hot. It's up to personal interpretation.
ᔱ ᔲ ᔳ ᔴ
ThunderCedar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me