❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby cosmic-quark » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:16 pm

What questions (big or small) would you ask about a new world or culture?
What are some important historical events?
Do cultures tend to be homogenous or heterogenous?
What are the major holidays? Do they differ depending on culture/province/planet/etc?
What is the most common currency? How often does its value fluctuate?
What are the most popular art forms? Are some arts regarded as better than others? Is art seen as more essential than other subjects- such as science, math, etc?
Are foreign languages taught? If so, is it considered a mandatory part of education or more of a time-consuming hobby?
Can different forms of government coexist peacefully (monarchy vs technocracy vs oligarchy)?
Is music culturally important?
What are the social taboos?
What are some culture-specific sayings or idioms?
What traditions are associated with funerals?

Hope this helped! <3

--

I'm actually thinking of starting the advent challenge too ^^ . I'm a couple days behind, but after nanowrimo catching up on word counts should be a breeze haha

In the meantime, I also have a question for you guys-

Code: Select all
[b]What projects are you working on right now?[/b]

I've been sketching out some ideas for a paranormal urban fantasy novel (and definitely not ignoring my 56k mess from nano haha),
but a day or so ago I got inspiration for a high fantasy novel. I think I'm gonna stick with that one for now- I really like the villain I came up with, and there's a lot interesting worldbuilding I could incorporate.
          ImageImageImageImageImageImage
          ╭━━━━━━━╮
          ╰━━━━━━━╯
          ╭━━━━━━━╮
          cosmic-quark
          she/her aro ace
          future astrophysicist
          Buying characters!
          Design Contest!
          ╰━━━━━━━╯
cosmic-quark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:21 pm

annyeong wrote:aaahh need some asap advice for this bit. it's super repetitive and I need to edit it by tomorrow

To come settle on the red planet, to make it theirs. As new oxygen flooded the planet’s atmosphere, it became clear that it no longer belonged to the Martians, but the the colonist’s as they staked claim to each mountain and canal. And when eventually they exhausted Mar’s resources and land, sure enough the humans would leave to find some other land to call their own. The irony of it was ridiculous. They shaped and bent Mars to look like their own out of a dislike for change, but they let their own familiar planet die and chose a whole new world to change, instead of changing their own for the better. The want to preserve human culture seemed to fall to it’s knees in comparison to the fear of letting another life on. And so, human nature ripped up the marbled cities and golden walls. Crystalline windows lay shattered in the dusty red earth, and the dust of burnt bones and lost life flowed throughout valleys and plains. The humans payed no mind to this devastation. To the obliteration, the excavation, even, of the life that once filled the strange and broken city streets. Martian life became a myth once more, something only those joking around would believe in. For there was no more such thing, as Martian life. Only the colonies.
Oh, I really like it!! I do agree with Wren's suggestions, though c: But other than those, it's really good! Keep it up!!

I'd want to learn their mythology and legends; the stories old ones tell to the youngsters, and the lullabies sung from mother or father to child. What do they learn in school? I'd probably ask about their language and slang, too. Or what movements/support-groups do they have? Vegans? Vegetarians? Tree-huggers? etc.~

What projects are you working on right now?
Something~ c;

Guys, my budgie has escaped; I'm so upset :'c
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:54 pm

What sort of food do they eat? How do they prepare it?
What are the school systems like
What sort of pets do they have
Do they take their shoes off when they enter their house? (I think that's a tradition in Hawaii)
What types of clothes do they where? What's considered modest?
What are the clothes made out of?
What are the common myths? Dragons? Unicorns? Or something more foreign?
What are their holidays and why do they celebrate them?

:shock:
Daily advent prompt challenge
A story secret Santa
A ton of character prompts that have to be finished before the end of the year (seriously, like 60 one-shots)
Finish up the draft of a short story
Maybe some fanfic if I have the time
Two art related secret Santas
And I still have two full scenes of art to do for some characters.
And I'm sure I'm missing something.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cherubim » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 am

woo! questions! i love answering these haha

I would ask about their history first and foremost, and most likely ask around for other's versions of the world/culture to distinguish if there are certain belief systems in place. I'd certainly straight up ask them about their etiquette, because that's most important when talking to them. their diet/s and customs would also be a big question! it'd be interesting to see the differences in meals and food names. oh, and I'd also ask about the latest trends in the society; what is the most popular tv show? who is leading? what clothing do most wear?

okay so, my major one atm is a fanfiction piece that surrounds itself with drunk 3am voicemails that get super sappy super quick. i want to write the events from both p.o.v's so it's going to be a two-chapter fic. you know, once i find out how to pick up where i left off. that fic has stumped me atm.
        i'm also working on a character study piece for a character of mine set in a fire emblem universe, so that's fun!
        there's a kalon development event going on as well so i have been participating in that and fleshing out my kals, which is fun.
        oh, and the never-ending roleplay responses haha

also! i have a creative writing piece i finished for english and i'm very proud of it, so i want to share it here. beep
        it's only short, around 1200 words or so, but i could really use critique.
x
x
x

┌──────────── (☀) ────────────┐
❝ 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐢 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐬𝐮𝐧𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 ❞
🕊 wren 🕊 they/she 🕊 sylvain's wife! 🕊
lover of birds, poetry, and fire emblem
take a gander at my writing

└──────────── (☀) ────────────┘
cherubim

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yubel Fated » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:34 am

Right now? They're mostly fanfiction pieces. But The Memories Lost (To be Renamed), Restructure, Tempting Fate and Attack on Blaze. Though the last one hasn't been started at all as I've been trying to start Attack on Titan. In order the fandoms are: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Original work, Pokemon and Attack on Titan.

How do the people in your life (irl or online) affect your writing?

For Restructure... A lot. Because the main characters are based off of myself and my three online friends. The Witching Well was also based off of myself and friends but that has been scrapped. The Idea is still there and is older than Restructure but has a lot more kinks to work out so I'm moreof focusing my time on that.

Do you know anyone in real life who writes? Do they help you or you help them?

I bounce ideas off of my friend Blazingcharizard a lot. Though for Restructure I read it aloud to my mom to see how she likes it and change it accordingly. She's more of a graphic designer but she has written things before so its a huge help.

What's your biggest weakness as a writer?

........ I'd say my motivation and commitment. See, back when I started on Fanfiction dot net I ended up skipping around between books, I'd end books as much as I started them and never really went back to polish anything. The Girl Who Got Trapped In A Videogame is a great example for that. It has no plot.

Speaking of plot.

I dont write down plotpoints. The most planning I have is "oh i wanna do this with ___ character." and then i do it. its a 50/50 chance that i'll ever friggen pick it up again. I have so many ideas that sometimes I don't know what I want to do before i start writing, later I go back cringe and take it down. I.E. Prisoner of Galra, Tempting fate. other books that ive done this to.

Oh. I take ideas from other books. Like. not in a "I'm a fraud" i stg I write everything on my wattpad/fanfiction account. Its just.... The ending to TGWGTIAVG was partially taken from Wingscutdarkness, if I remember correctly. Not in how it ends persay. Its how its presented. The use of a song? Wingscutdarkness. Just a few days ago I was reading an fma fanfic that used lyrics and was like "Yeah I could totally do that" But then I remember Ive done that before and the next time I read the story the lyrics were gone.

......... And to be honest. I think that was the first time I admitted that to myself aloud. and it could have been because of Fanfiction's policy that you cant use already written works, including song lyrics, in fanfics. I had gotten into trouble bc of that before and will not go into detail. I plead the fifth. (kidding)

I feel horrible and felt horrible when it happened a long while back so I kinda just... Stay away from using ideas that I see. I guess thats another weakness. I'm afraid to use ideas for fear of another event like that to happen.

My schedule? Like, where tf is mine xD I have none.

Is there something your characters are much better at than you? (conversations with others, making friends, etc):

Alysha is totally better than me at everything. (She's a joke mary sue I made so this is a joke)

Looking over my ocs seriously though....

Matthew is a lot better at giving the silent treatment to people. He doesn't care if they've hurt him badly. Meanwhile I on the other hand feel horrible doing so.

Ari is a lot more prone to doing things to see what happens. He's jumped off of Lumiose tower with just knowing that his Charizard Lizzy would catch him in time in pokeball or not. Sure they're not good decisions but they're still better than hanging onto what ifs all the time. He has fear but he pushes it aside to do stupid things or to save someone he hardly knows. He parkours and is a lot fitter than I am. ... which is because he parkours. (Tyler Parkours too but thats beside the point)

@Ranger Whats a budgie?

@annying I actually was on pinterest and found a site to help with that. I tested it with norton security and its safe and easy to use: Hemingway You just put your writing into it and it basically edits and tells you how many Adverbs, how many times you use a passive voice, if the phrase has a simpler thing and if your sentences are hard to read.

I'm not your protagonist I'm not even my own
I don't know anything I don't even know what I don't know

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

╔══════════════╗
Name: Shadow
Profile: Judai/Jaden Yuki
Previous: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Call me anything though! So be creative!
~Credit~
╚══════════════╝

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

The artificial way the sunlight bounces off of
g̸̢̮̥̏͝l̷͔̘͍̑̍͝ì̶̛̠̖̒t̸̢̰̩̀̔̾̕c̴̨̘͌̄̈́̿h̶̡͙͔̫̆͜͝í̴̝̎͛̀n̵̡̘̰̈́̔ḡ̷̢̨̫̬̓̀ leaves

────────────────

Yubel Fated

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BucketORandomness » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:47 am

*wince* I'm currently working on school and avoiding PTEN because I've run into a road block with that one >.<

~Are there certain actions that would
be considered offensive?
~What's the attitude toward strangers?
~Is the language the same, similar, or
totally different?
~How do you ask where the bathroom is?
~Any good places to eat?
~What's the food like?
~What are the delicacies of the culture?
~Are there certain meals only cooked at
special occasions?
~What constitutes a special occasion?
~Is monogamy a normal occurrence?
~Is marriage special?
~Are names important?
~Is there a title system?
~Is there a class system?
~How do they get all this food here?
~What's the primary mode of
transportation?
~Are there any death rights or rituals?
~How do I show others I appreciate them?
~How do I show my compliments to the
chef?
~Are there any eating or meal rituals
or manners?
~What are the manners involved in
greeting strangers?
~Are there any differences in greeting
strangers, friends, close friends, and
family?
~How do you say goodbye?
~Is it best to be out in the day or night?
~Are there any places I should avoid or
totally go see?
~Are there any facial expressions I should
be careful of?
~What type of currency is used here?
~Is haggling approved of?
~What's the market structure like?
~How advanced is the technology here?
~Who is in charge of the government?
~How are laws made?
~How are laws put enforced?
~What happens if you break the law?
~How do I know what the laws are?
~Is there a library or some similar
structure for the collection of knowledge?
~Is said collection of knowledge public?
~How do you earn currency here?
~How can I tell if I'm getting a good deal
on this?
~What's the weather normally like?
~What kinds of storms are there?
~Are there seasons?
~How many kinda of seasons are there?
~Are there any holidays I should be aware
of?
~What do the holidays celebrate?
~Are these a particularly religious people,
or are they more superstitious or focused
on tradition?
~What's the deity structure like?
~Are there any cool legends everybody
knows?
~What about stories specifically related to
the area?
~Who is the biggest hero in history?
~Who's the biggest villain ever?
~Do people prefer songs, poetry, or
orations?
~What kind of music do they make?
~What instruments are there?
~What are the subjects of most songs?
~What's the prime method of
entertainment?
~Are there any cool sports here?
~Where would I go to participate in some
fun?
~Are outsiders common?
~Should I be worried about my safety in
certain areas?
~How do I protect myself from common
ailments?
~Is the system of doctors and medicines
up to date or working?
~What are some common sicknesses?
~How do I know if I've caught one?
~What's the average level of education?
~Where do young ones go to learn?
~What is the method of teaching?
~Is there a structure they go to to learn,
or do they do something akin to home
schooling?
~What subjects are taught?
~Which subject is most emphasized?
~Are there specific places for each subject,
or are they all in one place?

Welcome to my little corner of insanity.
Here, have 71 questions >^.^<

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Not disclosing gender or age
Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature
....More by Bucket
Open to making new friends!
It's my sig, but not my images
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:43 am

Thanks for all of the questions guys! It's going to be fun to start rippinh into them.

World building, advent challenge (which I'm a day behind on...) and Doctor Who secret santa thing ^-^
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:18 am

Literally just 10,000 Doors and the advent challenge. I've got to balance my school work and revision so that's all I have time for right now (tbh it's too much already, and I still have 5 months before exam season)

(i'm really not at a mental capacity to answer the other question sorry ^^')
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:45 pm

WinterSerperior wrote:@Ranger Whats a budgie?
Budgerigar c: The birds in my signature. He's the green )':

Far out, how do you come up with all those questions, Randy? XD

EDIT:
crepuscular. wrote:
        also! i have a creative writing piece i finished for english and i'm very proud of it, so i want to share it here. beep
        it's only short, around 1200 words or so, but i could really use critique.
Aw, that was so sweet and sad! I did find 'brown eyes' multiple times a little repetitive, and there was one time — after his brother's first washed away, and he feels like his brain's with him rather than with his parents — you forgot the apostrophe before the S. But other than those, it was really, really good! It was obvious, despite the short length, that his brother's death had really hurt him and made a lasting impact. And you made me so glad that he's starting to heal now! The ending especially was really sweet :D Great job! <3

Also! An interesting question for however many characters you'd like to make answer c;
Code: Select all
[b]If you had to die, what would be your preferred way of going out? What death do you fear dying, and hope to escape?[/b]
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:36 pm

If you had to die, what would be your preferred way of going out? What death do you fear dying, and hope to escape?
Well really, I'd like to die of old age in my sleep, but if it wasn't that easy...I guess like dying while under amnesia wouldn't be too bad.
I'm just.
Well, I'm terrified of pain, call me a coward, and especially of being shot. I don't want to die by being shot in the face.
It feels a little bit like I would be erased.
Is that weird?

Anyway, I'm on prompt seven of the advent calendar, how's it going for everyone else who's doing it?

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me