❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby Marastia » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:48 pm

I've been struggling with chapter 2 of a novel I've been trying to write for about a year. It's when Exavier takes Seleanna (Selena for short) to a town in Farlan. Farlan is "The land of young ones dreams" and it's supposed to be a really beautiful yet twisted place, since dreams can also be or become nightmares. The story is set somewhere around the Victorian era. I think I've just gotten so stuck cause I have too many ideas for the main town. Anyone mind giving me some help? Here's a few ideas I have

Winterburrow camp
A town permanently stuck in winter. All the houses look similar yet different and the people are mainly anthropomorphic in a way. Think of it like the animals in Narnia, they still look like animals but they can talk and walk upright on their back legs. They're all wearing clothes of course and most of the clothes would be made for cold weather. They'd also be reliant on trade for some crops and food since it's hard to grow anything when it's winter.

Sunflower Meadows
A beautiful town surrounded by sunflowers. It's constantly summer and very hot. The people would stay the same but the clothes would change to fit the weather better. The buildings would also change, maybe tents instead of buildings?

Crystal court
An underground town in large caves. The walls are covered in crystals. The people would maybe change a little since they are living underground. Above ground would be farms and such. Underground there'd be stores, taverns, Inn's, etc. The clothes would change and the town would be big on trade.

Thanks in advance, you all seem so nice <3
Hi there! I don't bite, c:
I love foxes so I'm trying to collect them all!
I appreciate all gifts and would be honoured if you'd help me collect all the foxes. I only want 1 of every kind of fox, and any duplicates will be traded or gifted. Also, please help my dragons grow! Just click on the eggs and dragons, it's really simple and easy! (I am a girl btw, so I go by she and her pronouns,)
Image Image Image Image

Marastia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yubel Fated » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:00 pm

Are there any writers on the Internet that you look up to/try to emulate?

There were two back on my fanfiction days. WingsCutDarkness and TheMidnightWhisp. They were pretty much who I looked upto and tried to emulate too closely. Lmao though they were actually pretty understanding when they approached me about the situation.

WingsCutDarkness inspired me to write my first actual fanfiction so I was devastated when she ended up leaving fanfiction.net. I still dont know why but I hope she's alright.

TheMidnightWhisp ended up doing other things however still has her story up. I briefly talked to her a while back and found out she's actually going to college nowadays. So i do wish her the best.

I'm not sure if I still emulate their styles but if I do, I do apologize to them but their stories have helped me to find what I wanted to do in life. Write.

Are you able to be in the same room as someone reading your writing, or do you have to leave?

I read out the story Restructure to my mom so she's pretty much critique for me on that story. So I kinda CANT leave the room. Although I want to put myself in a hole that's 10 feet deep and keep myself there.

But its needed....

My sister Phoenix gives me feedback as well and she reads it.

... My other sister Maniac also gives me feedback. And reads it out loud. But that was back when I was still writing for the 50 States. Lmao.

Do you ever drop any hints to an upcoming plot twists?

A few. especially in Tempting Fates.... Though I'm trying. I'm trying.

@Marastia

I assume you're new, so watch out for carrots lmao.

and those sound very cool.

The name Farlan is a Scottish baby name. In Scottish the meaning of the name Farlan is: Son of the furrows.

Now Furrows:

noun
plural noun: furrows
a long narrow trench made in the ground by a plow, especially for planting seeds or for irrigation.

verb
3rd person present: furrows
make a rut, groove, or trail in (the ground or the surface of something).

So maybe either Sunflower Meadows or Crystal Court? If we're talking about the main town of Farlan..... if I'm making any sense. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I probably did so sorry. ignore me lmao.

I'm not your protagonist I'm not even my own
I don't know anything I don't even know what I don't know

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

╔══════════════╗
Name: Shadow
Profile: Judai/Jaden Yuki
Previous: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Call me anything though! So be creative!
~Credit~
╚══════════════╝

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

The artificial way the sunlight bounces off of
g̸̢̮̥̏͝l̷͔̘͍̑̍͝ì̶̛̠̖̒t̸̢̰̩̀̔̾̕c̴̨̘͌̄̈́̿h̶̡͙͔̫̆͜͝í̴̝̎͛̀n̵̡̘̰̈́̔ḡ̷̢̨̫̬̓̀ leaves

────────────────

Yubel Fated

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marastia » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:05 pm

WinterSerperior wrote:Are there any writers on the Internet that you look up to/try to emulate?

There were two back on my fanfiction days. WingsCutDarkness and TheMidnightWhisp. They were pretty much who I looked upto and tried to emulate too closely. Lmao though they were actually pretty understanding when they approached me about the situation.

WingsCutDarkness inspired me to write my first actual fanfiction so I was devastated when she ended up leaving fanfiction.net. I still dont know why but I hope she's alright.

TheMidnightWhisp ended up doing other things however still has her story up. I briefly talked to her a while back and found out she's actually going to college nowadays. So i do wish her the best.

I'm not sure if I still emulate their styles but if I do, I do apologize to them but their stories have helped me to find what I wanted to do in life. Write.

Are you able to be in the same room as someone reading your writing, or do you have to leave?

I read out the story Restructure to my mom so she's pretty much critique for me on that story. So I kinda CANT leave the room. Although I want to put myself in a hole that's 10 feet deep and keep myself there.

But its needed....

My sister Phoenix gives me feedback as well and she reads it.

... My other sister Maniac also gives me feedback. And reads it out loud. But that was back when I was still writing for the 50 States. Lmao.

A few. especially in Tempting Fates.... Though I'm trying. I'm trying.

@Marastia

I assume you're new, so watch out for carrots lmao.

and those sound very cool.

The name Farlan is a Scottish baby name. In Scottish the meaning of the name Farlan is: Son of the furrows.

Now Furrows:

noun
plural noun: furrows
a long narrow trench made in the ground by a plow, especially for planting seeds or for irrigation.

verb
3rd person present: furrows
make a rut, groove, or trail in (the ground or the surface of something).

So maybe either Sunflower Meadows or Crystal Court? If we're talking about the main town of Farlan..... if I'm making any sense. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I probably did so sorry. ignore me lmao.

That's really interesting! Thanks so much for the info and opinion. And honestly with the way I have set up my plot so far it'd be best for him to take her to Crystal court. Thank youuuuuuu!
And now I'm going to go spend a few days in my cave writing and editing XDDD

Also what are carrots?
Hi there! I don't bite, c:
I love foxes so I'm trying to collect them all!
I appreciate all gifts and would be honoured if you'd help me collect all the foxes. I only want 1 of every kind of fox, and any duplicates will be traded or gifted. Also, please help my dragons grow! Just click on the eggs and dragons, it's really simple and easy! (I am a girl btw, so I go by she and her pronouns,)
Image Image Image Image

Marastia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Simonpet » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:31 pm

@The Worst Username: The prefixes and suffixes are for a Cherryclan/Frostclan roleplay that I may reopen (for the 10th time) eventually, and I want to put them all onto the blog ASAP. I've been neglecting that, you see... I also can't condense them because that would make said prefixes/suffixes impossible to find. Imagine scrolling to find the prefix "Moth-". It would take forever because it's in the middle of over 100 prefixes! As to history, that's all going to be explained through the stories which will be linked to in the timeline. I might put a condensed version though, and edit it with every new story. Thanks for that idea! As to where the humans live... Look no further than Carson City and the towns around Lake Tahoe. I like your idea as to the ideal cat type in each clan. I'll probably include that sometime. Finally, how the clans view non-heterosexuality: they don't care! Brownpaw (Brownleaf) is very much asexual and aromantic and Cherryclan simply said, "Cool. Now do thy job and study."

@Marastia: I have a few questions regarding the locations you mention that you could also factor into your writing. First, who inhabits Winterburrow Camp? Is it primarily canines? Felines? Birds? Other animals? A mixture? Also, why is the town "permanently stuck in winter?" Is it because of a curse? Is it because it's set extremely high in the mountains so there's a deep snow season and a light snow season?

Second, regarding Sunflower Meadows. Why is it always summer? Is it along the equator? What is their primary source of income? I would assume that due to the heat, they would be growing heat-resistant crops to trade with, and possibly house animals. In addition, if the people live in tents, perhaps they have to move several times a year but the main camp is always known as Sunflower Meadows.

Lastly, about Crystal Court. Why is it underground? Is it to maximize space? Is there very little surface area and so they regulate what they have to crop growth? Also, the usage of the word "court" suggests that the people live under the feudal system, so perhaps they have a pair of rulers, some heirs, aristocrats, and everyone else is a commoner. In addition, why are they big on trade? Is it to make themselves richer? To gain goods that they otherwise don't have? Finally, I would imagine that they mine the crystals for trade. Maybe there are jewelers and smiths who work with the crystals. Maybe the crystals have magical properties when cut a certain way.

Feel free to take or ignore my suggestions as you wish! The novel seems interesting and I hope it goes well for you. c:
Status wrote:Who's excited to study fly intestines?
Me! I'm excited to study flies! (I
swear it's more interesting than it
sounds.)
Dragon Cave wrote:Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image
Simonpet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:10 pm

P!nk the furry wrote:I love writing, but I hate doing the actually writing... Anyone else know what I mean? XD
Every now and then, yes. Defs XD Welcome, btw!

Hey, Winch, welcome back! XP

Hey, I really like it, Mexi! :D I like how you've done it without rhyming, too; that's really hard to do 0,0

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:Has anyone every written something emotionally draining to yourself, but then just reading someone else's reaction made it all worth it?
*cat hissing* r u mocking my pain m8

I always really strongly want to, but I usually make myself stay. Partly because I'm curious about everything anyway, but partly because I like to see their expressions; if their face lights up, I've done good; if it's neutral, it kinda suckss and I need to do more work...

Do you ever drop any hints to upcoming plot-twists?
mhm c;

uh-huh :p

Kia ora, Marastia, welcome along and watch out for carrots! :D XD I personally really like the idea of Winterburrow Camp or Sunflower Meadows~ Are you planning on posting it anywhere? Just the small bit of info you've shared here sounds really interesting ;D
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:21 pm

No. I don't really have an ongoing story online, and if I did, I don't think anyone would care.

On the internet specifically? Not that I can think of.

the reaction of a cat hissing is perfection all things considered 'm8'

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:29 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:Do you ever drop any hints to an upcoming plot twists?
No. I don't really have an ongoing story online, and if I did, I don't think anyone would care.

'scuse you I would. Probably wouldn't notice unless I read it through twice but then I would really appreciate it.

If they're reading something I gave to them to read I can stay. Though there is a slightly awkward silence often XD. If I'm writing and they're looking over my shoulder... nah. I do not like that. This is why I often sit with my back against the wall or as far into the corner as I can when I'm on my computer in the living room. I don't like people seeing my screen.

Do you ever drop any hints to upcoming plot-twists?
I think so... Yeah. *glances at Will the Wolf Keep Howling* I need a better name for that That one had some pretty good hints I think.

Not really at the moment, but when I first joined Chicken Smoothie there was a member who was pretty active on Inklings - Captain/Skipwrecked. They inspired me so much. I saw them with these really popular books and thought they were really cool. When they interacted with me after I commented on their story or something I felt so special. XD Yeah, they inspired me a lot when I first joined Chicken Smoothie.

Has anyone every written something emotionally draining to yourself, but then just reading someone else's reaction made it all worth it?
I haven't actually really written anything emotionally draining... Possibly Swiftpaw meeting his mother. Honestly, that's one of my favourite scenes in all the stories I have ever written. I nearly cried. But like, I enjoy writing emotional scenes. Idk. Reading other people's reactions make everything worth it, tbh. XD
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:30 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:Do you ever drop any hints to an upcoming plot twists?

~snip~

the reaction of a cat hissing is perfection all things considered 'm8'
I'm bad with hints. But I would care afterward! XD

truuue lol
but i was right
HOW DARE U
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bilaz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:53 pm

Guys, I'm pretty nervous because this is the first thing I've 'published' online since 2015... I'm writing my character Ida's story but in reluctant, short diary entries and having her slowly open up and reveal little bits of herself until it eventually all forms a story. I've completed entries 1 and 2 if you want to read them:

Entry 1:
It's been two weeks since my arrival, so far the Americans aren't suspicious. In fact, they don't seem to be interested in uncovering my secret at all. This is by far the easiest mission I've ever been sent on. I... Oh forget it, I'm not funny enough to pull off writing my diary like this.

My name is Ida and my last name is none of your business. I've been told to write down my experiences, including my past, in this diary. Why? I don't feel like saying. To be frank I despise this whole idea. However, I am bored so I might as well get this over with.

I'm from Northern Norway, land of the Midnight Sun. This may seem amazing to you but to be perfectly honest I'm more amazed by the fact that it can be dark and warm here in America at the same time. We also have the Northern lights. Please don't laugh, I used to be terrified of them. There is old story that if you go out during the Northern lights and wave a white sheet that they'll come and take you... I was young kid, okay?! Of course I believed it.

It's also also close to the Russian border, I mention this because my best friend is Russian. This is kind of important later on so please remember it. For right now I'd like to drop the subject entirely. I'm tired and I feel like I've written enough for one day.

Entry 2:
How hard is it for people to understand that no means no?! If I say I no longer perform and don't want to tell you why just drop it and find someone else. I know I'm not the friendliest person in the world but at least I respect people's privacy. I didn't even bother to tell them that they wouldn't understand my act anyway, they have no idea who the person I imitate even is. I don't see why they have to know that though, I have the right to say no. Nobody is ever getting me on a stage again.

Never mind that though, I was talking about my childhood. Well, as a child I absolutely adored the ocean. Yes, I know what you are thinking: Norwegians and fish blablabla. You are not clever. I've heard them all before. It's even worse with the people I meet in person as I'm your stereotypical blue-eyed blonde. It's still the truth though, I loved the ocean and I still do. Not just the ocean, the ships as well. I could spend hours watching them dock and leave again, thinking about where they came from and where they were going. I'd dream about what the seas would be like and most importantly what it would be like on the bridge. I was so certain I would be the captain of a ship one day, my ship.

As you could probably tell by how I worded that, it never happened. I have to confess it's probably because I was arrogant enough to believe I could change this world. There, I said it. I hope you're satisfied you damn Swede.
╔═════════{♥}═════════╗
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end...

╚═════════{♥}═════════╝
x➤ My OC Erik, I love to write stories
x➤ Sasha - ISFJ - vegan - adult
x➤ Proud tea drinker and cat lover
x➤ Feel free to send me a message! ©

Image x Image x Image
Bilaz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:45 am

@Marastia (do you have a nickname, by the way?)
    *low curtsy* Welcome to our thread, please avoid carrots and smoteners at all costs. I think all of those different towns sound really cool--especially Winterburrow camp, maybe because it's not the town that typically comes to mind when you think "the land of young ones' dreams". Crystal Court also seems really heckin' neat, probably since underground societies are oftentimes evil lairs in fantasy, but this town is both good and evil.

Maybe try writing three different scenes (one where the characters go to Winterburrow Camp, one where they go to Sunflower Meadows, and one where they go to Crystal Court) and see which scene/town you like the best? Any of them could be a good bet; they all sound pretty cool aesthetically. (And thanks!)

@Lunar
    Ooh, I don't really see many people posting diary-format stuff on here! I like her voice and the personal tone it's written in (it's not dry like "I am Ida and I am on a mission to America") which I see sometimes in first person. The little tidbits of character you included are really nice, too; the entries seem to flow quite naturally from storytelling to character development. Maybe just try loosening up a bit--some of the writing seems a bit halted, like you're worried about writing a bad sentence (or maybe I'm just reading waaay too far into things). Also, you're from Norway, right? I love when people put their own countries and cultures into stories.

Anyways, sorry for rambling, but the entries look pretty good so far! Do you think you'll be posting the entries anywhere?
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me