❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby passione » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:51 pm

@suburbia.

I like the rhyming and the concept!
However, when it comes to lyrics, there's usually a pattern so a best can follow up with it. This would sound nice on acoustic guitar because of the short lines and stuff.

Lyrics don't always have to stick to a style, however. The fact that the lines don't match up to a rhyming pattern doesn't matter so much. In fact, it's great to be experimental and play with rhymes like this.
There aren't set rules for writing music.
Do You Feel It by Chaos Chaos is a song with no rhyming pattern. In fact, it has no rhymes.
It sounds just as good with music.

If I was going to give you critique, however, one part is bugging me a little bit because of a strange use of repetition.
Repetition used in lyrics can make a song great. However you have to be careful in how you use it, or else it may sound a little awkward. Just this part:

ᴍʏ ʙʀᴀɪɴ﹐
ɪᴛs ᴅᴀᴍᴀɢᴇᴅ﹐
ᴀɴᴅ ʟɪᴋᴇ ɪ sᴀɪᴅ﹐
ɪ ᴄᴀɴᴛ ᴍᴀɴᴀɢᴇ﹐
ʏᴏᴜ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ɪᴛs ʜᴀʀᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴍᴀɴᴀɢᴇ﹐
ᴡʜᴇɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴅᴀᴍᴀɢᴇᴅ﹐

Flipping the words around like that sounds a little strange. When you repeat "you know it's hard to manage when you're damaged" later on, it sounds okay because it almost acts as a prechorus.
The first four lines of the part I just posted almost seem a little redundant.

I'm sorry if I'm being a little bit blunt. Overall, I think this is a pretty good set of lyrics. It's got potential!
passione

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yubel Fated » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:45 pm

@Suburbia

It is great and to be honest I think it would be great for poetry as well. Then again that being said, songs are poetry. So.... Not much to be said there.

Code: Select all
How well do you think cameos could work in writing?

I was thinking about asking yall if any of you had Pokemon Ocs that I could cameo, meaning they'd be a quick appearance and not really be a full time thing, but i'm not sure how that'd work in writing. It works well in comics, and the few Nuzlocke comics I see use them mostly bc they're in the background doing random stuff. But you can't really write background events without it becoming obvious, could you?

But I don't know :T

Its still a good question to ask though so i'm gonna just leave it up.

I'm not your protagonist I'm not even my own
I don't know anything I don't even know what I don't know

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

╔══════════════╗
Name: Shadow
Profile: Judai/Jaden Yuki
Previous: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Call me anything though! So be creative!
~Credit~
╚══════════════╝

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

The artificial way the sunlight bounces off of
g̸̢̮̥̏͝l̷͔̘͍̑̍͝ì̶̛̠̖̒t̸̢̰̩̀̔̾̕c̴̨̘͌̄̈́̿h̶̡͙͔̫̆͜͝í̴̝̎͛̀n̵̡̘̰̈́̔ḡ̷̢̨̫̬̓̀ leaves

────────────────

Yubel Fated

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:54 pm

I actually have a couple of cameos from other fandoms in Timeless, the most obvious being the medic in Omega Trials literally being the medic from red vs blue. That being said, I'm probably going to take him out in the second draft.
I think, (going back to the Inheritance Cycle, no, I'm not obsessed heh) Christopher Paolini did a good job. If you've read the books and know even a little bit about Doctor Who, you'll know what I mean - Angela is totally a Time Lord. It's really subtle, and I didn't pick it up first time through (bc I hadn't seen DW) but she is a Time Lord.
Anyway, point being - if it's done well. So yeah, idk.
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sparrow; » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:04 pm

Do you listen to a special playlist, soundtrack, or genre when writing?
I don't listen to music while writing, because I find it very distracting. I think most people here do, though...

How do you get interested in your story again after getting bored of it?
Completely re-write it with the characters and plot changed a lot. That's what I'm doing with MoC, I just chucked out everything I hated and replaced it with slightly-better stuff.

@suburbia - It's for general writing, music is cool too! I love this, have you written a tune for it? What instruments do you play, if any?

Hmm... I don't know. I often reference things in my writing, including thing other people wouldn't understand a lot of the time. I've never tried adding in a cameo before.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
text text text text text
text text text text text
text text text text text

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
link goes here | link goes here
link goes here | link goes here
signature credit
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
text text text text text text text text text

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sparrow;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:11 am

I guess it depends on how good you are at adding cameos? Like, if Spock waltzes into the story and everyone's going "it's Spock woah!!!!" that's kind of ridiculous, but there's definitely subtle ways to reference things; I'm just not sure what they are, because I don't really try to cameo stuff in my writing. I do reference my stories within my stories from time to time, though, because why the heck not.

Woogwoo Wren wrote:So I've recently started rereading Eragon (for like the fifth time) and I for some reason the style just didn't sound right to me. And then I realised - it's very similar to my style, so naturally I don't like it. (Chris uses a lot more flowery language than I do though) but seriously, those books have impacted me so freaking much - I have unconsciously adopted Christopher Paolini's style as my own...

Dude, that's nuts. I actually like your style more than I like the Eragon writing style (maybe because of the somewhat excessive description?) so I bet it's at least a bit different! Anyways, congrats on reading a book that many times.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:05 am

I think it would work pretty well as long as you had permission and the owner agreed to what their character would be doing in the cameo.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:04 am

I actually don't do many references and cameos in my stories. I don't know, being animal based and in completely different worlds kind of makes it hard to do modern day cameos. But I've seen them happen and see they work well. The only cameo shout-outs I've done were in a novel (that I will get back to one day) that referenced characters from fairy tales. Like the giant character talking about Jack and the Beanstalk like it was a true story, which in that world, it is. I do agree with Song that you have to have permission from the creator if you want to make money off of it. The best thing with fairy tales, they're public domain!

Well shoot, look at what I've gone an done. You know that novel I've mentioned a couple of times, the first one I wrote that I dropped halfway through because the main character was a Mary Sue? Well, now it's in India (or an Indian-like climate and culture)! I mean, I really shouldn't have, I shouldn't plan a story I don't plan on writing for years (or however long it takes me to finish The Story of Dante). But I just had to. It's one of the few stories that deals with human characters, and making it based in Indian culture, climate and mythology (except for the Lycans, but there are European-based kingdoms in it, so they brought along their mythology. And because Lycans are an integral part of the story). Of course, that means more researching because I have little experience in Indian things. But hey, at least it could count as credit for my last year of homeschooling! LOL.

This might be the only time I'll speak of it here, though, because I have way too much on my plate right now with school and writing two separate novels (Brothers and The Story of Dante).
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:07 am

Just published Door 6! (I put a link to it in my sig bc why not)

If it's based in modern day or future earth, then I suppose references to stuff could work, but if it's set in another world or in the past then I'm not sure they would work too well. I wouldn't know to be honest, I've never thought about it.

@Meg
That sounds really interesting! I would just say make sure you do your research so that you can write it to be as accurate as you can!

@suburbia
That's really cool. If I put it to music I think it would be a mellow, sad song, kinda like always or i miss you. I'm not sure if that's the kinda vibe you were going for, but I think it would work ^^

By the way, hi to any new people I haven't already said hi to! Call me Dev :D
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby dxrmon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:18 am

thank you for all of your opinions, they really helped!
dxrmon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:59 am

hollowfall. wrote:@Ranger of the North
Thanks for the welcome! I'll check your story out when I can and poems and short stories sound really cool, you should share some of them!

~snip~
No problem, and thanks! :D I've actually put some links to my better ones in my signature, if you're interested — top right c:

winged-backpack wrote:~snip~

I just wanted to say thank you for all the votes and comments on 10,000 Doors. I really appreciate it, and it's giving me the confidence I need to carry it on! I've just seen it's #672 in horror on Wattpad! It's not very hight but it still means a lot given the amount of stories on the site :D
Oh wow, that's awesome! Congrats! :D

suburbia. wrote:
i know this is for stories but i was looking for some where to post this song so i can get some of your guys ideas c:
(( hope this is ok if not then i will delete the post ))

ʙʟᴜᴇ ᴅᴀʏs ﹣ ғɪɴɪsʜᴇᴅ sᴏɴɢ

~snip~
I don't know any song-writing rules, so I'm not able to offer any critique or anything, but I really like it!! You're good!
Also, welcome to the thread you can never leave and watch out for carrots! c;

Woogwoo Wren wrote:~snip~

So I've recently started rereading Eragon (for like the fifth time) and I for some reason the style just didn't sound right to me. And then I realised - it's very similar to my style, so naturally I don't like it. (Chris uses a lot more flowery language than I do though) but seriously, those books have impacted me so freaking much - I have unconsciously adopted Christopher Paolini's style as my own...
Woah, you have? That's kinda creepy <.<
I doubly need to reread them; I have to see this for myself XD

I think it'd be fun! If the featured person isn't well-known, though, it could get tricky :p Like the author of a best-seller could get away with putting the best-selling MC briefly in a new book just with a quick description and their mannerisms, but otherwise I think it would be hard; not many people would recognise the person c:

Good luck, Meg! Sounds like you're gonna be busy for the next decade or so, haha XP
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me