charlie's cup of tea

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

charlie's cup of tea

Postby ducky! » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:20 am

x
x
x
hi! i'm charlie, and this is my very own little corner.
here i post vents, poems, projects, etc, so feel free to read
around. i ask that you do not post here, as it helps me
keep everything in order. thanks for stopping by!

Last edited by ducky! on Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
ducky!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

one

Postby ducky! » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:40 am

Her feet padded on the soft dirt, making little to no noise as she ran through the wooded forest.
The darkness surrounded her as she ran further and further from civilization, into what lay beyond.
Soft gasps came from her mouth as she panted heavily from exhaustion, and yet she continued
to run. Cicadas chirped from all around her, but she payed them no mind. Instead, she focused
on escaping the claustrophobic feeling threatening to poor out of her body. Hands brushed against
her back, creating a pattern of goosebumps bursting from her pale skin. Her limbs shook as the
night air seeped past her light night gown. She struggled on.
The feeling was getting stronger and stronger almost as if it was eating her alive and she couldn't
breathe
but she kept running because it was all she could do.
Soft lights pulled her mind toward a break in the trees and she slowed her pace, allowing the dark dirt
to engulf her feet. She opened her eyes for the first time and allowed a glowing bug to land on her finger.
With a deep breath, the feeling escaped her and she fell to the ground.
She woke to the sun peering through her window, and as she removed her legs from the white bed sheets
and stepped onto the wooden floor, damp dirt fell from her feet.
Last edited by ducky! on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ducky!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

two

Postby ducky! » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:56 am

Flashes of light lit up the sparse bedroom, revealing a girl at her desk.
A pen and paper placed on the table, the girl sat hunched, nursing a mug as she read
through the words written in ink. Pushing up her round glasses, she folded her legs
on top of her chair and picked up the black writing tool.
Once it hit the page, she dragged it over the lined paper, creating endless thoughts
with thoughtless ends. Only did she pick up her pen when a word was complete, making
cursive letters join together.
Soft rain hit the roof above her head, and she took a momentary pause in her mindless
writing to peer outside, smiling softly before returning to her mind.
She didn't bother reading the page when she finished. She simply placed the inked paper
within a drawer, reaching into the one above to get another.
A flash sounded from outside with a loud bang. She jumped. A candle flickered.
She continued writing.
Last edited by ducky! on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ducky!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

three

Postby ducky! » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:10 am

A white tablecloth was placed onto a grey, wooden table.
A single candle was placed in the middle and lit with a red match.
A girl walked around the square furniture, placing four wooden bowls in front of
four wooden chairs. Beside each wooden bowl she placed a wooden spoon and a wooden fork.
She filled a wooden pitcher with ice water and placed it near the burning candle.
She paused, glancing outside. A dark oak tree was placed outside of her wooden house, encasing
everything in darkness. The candle the only light.
After placing a white pillow on each chair, she sat herself in the chair facing the large windows.
Facing the tree.
Picking up a larger bowl from the middle of the small table, she spooned out a single serving
four times, placing each in one of the four bowls.
Her eyes moved around the table and she nodded her head slightly. Content.
Four wooden chairs with four wooden bowls and four wooden glasses.
Enough for her four wooden friends.
Last edited by ducky! on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ducky!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

four

Postby ducky! » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:48 am

The echo of footsteps is forgotten among the field of dead. A single life crosses a wooden bridge
and approaches a set of tombstones.
She kneels in front of the tallest, tucking her white dress underneath her torso and sitting on her legs.
Wind blows through her brown hair, sending cold waves to her neck. She shivers. The wind stops.
She lays a white rose upon the grass, staring at the etchings on stone yet not absorbing the
information given.
She stands and moves to her right.
The next tomb is slighter smaller, and made of a lighter stone. She repeats her actions.
The last tomb is short and thin. A rabbit resides on top, guarding it.
Instead of a rose, she lays a bundle of hyacinths. She kisses the grave.
Shaking hands give her the momentum she needs to stand, pebbles stuck to knees. She brushes them off
with wet hands and turns to leave.
She crosses a wooden bridge.
The yard is void of life.
ducky!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

five

Postby ducky! » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:41 am

She turns the page, cutting her finger
A small bead of red, no larger than a lady bug, leaves the skin, landing on the page
Creeping
threading its way across, bouncing from word to word
pencil mark to print
a never ending color tainting each and every aspect of the bound pages until nothing that was there
is left because
everything is relative in the universe
Nothing existed before we created it
language and expression and time
science and faith
facts and nonsense
everything that is isn't really
because everything that isn't is
ducky!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

six

Postby ducky! » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:00 am

She steps away from the black abyss, not taking notice of it disappearing behind her in a burst of smoke. She gazes
with awe as people dressed in wondrous clothing pass, as horse pulled carriages line the streets, as
children chase one another with sticks. Not a glance is sent her way.
Her dress feels uncomfortable, too heavy and too much cloth for such warm weather. She adjusts the waist
and continues walking.
She's careful not to bump into anyone.
Thatched roofs adorn stone and wooden houses, all of poor construction. Men wear long pants and put
together shirts, while women hoods and long dresses fully buttoned.
She's making her way to a patch of dirt, distractedly pulling a piece of paper and bottle of ink from her skirt
pocket, when the world seems to fall from under her. Bright lights seep into her eyes and she squeezes them
closed. She feels her knees hit the ground.
She's landed in a town void of people, vines creeping along buildings.
Reaching past her clothing, she tugs her right boot from her foot, gazing underneath.
A small, dead ant falls to the ground. She follows in its footsteps.
ducky!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

a different take.

Postby ducky! » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:21 pm

A girl has many friends.
The girl is kind and laughs and always has a smile on her face
it's the only thing the girl knows how to do

her friends are sad, and the girl doesn't know why
she tries to help, tries to understand, but she can't
all she can do is smile
she feels miserable inside
her friends are beautiful creatures who she puts her faith in and
hopes they do the same
smart and funny and selfless
sad
she does nothing
can't do anything
because they won't let her
day by day her smile lessens
her laugh fades
until all that's left is a decaying shell
she tried
Last edited by ducky! on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ducky!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

close to home

Postby ducky! » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:20 am

this is an excerpt from a story i wrote for my mythology class, and i haven't posted here in a while, so i figured it wouldn't hurt to share it! if it sounds familiar, i've also posted this on ao3 with different characters.

The sun’s harsh rays beat down upon the small town, disrupted only by a warm summer’s breeze. Dirt turned dust from the summer heat spit from behind tires on an old brown road, paving the way to a few lived in homes. A storm was brewing in the east, casting a dark shadow on the horizon, but not on the sweltering heat.
They say that lightning strikes closest to the sky, as if it doesn’t want to stray too far from home. The same could be said about a certain Clay Hominum.
A fluff of honey-coloured hair poked out from behind an old fence, once painted white but now peeling, followed by a pair of curious eyes. They followed the moving vehicle before lips shaped into a frown, and the head disappeared.
Clay sat down on the dying grass with a sigh, folding his legs in front of him. He watched as an ant found comfort in his shadow, taking a momentary break from dragging a particularly large crumb across the yard.
The boy was used to the silence of his town. It being on the outskirts of the city, not many people preferred to live there. It was too close to the home of the town’s stories, and no one wanted to take any chances.
Clay Hominum was a curious but mindful child. What he wouldn’t give to be able to solve all the problems of the universe, and yet he was content where he was.
There was, however, one small thought which dotted across his mind from time to time, irritating, like an inconsistent dripping of water falling from the roof after rain. Hardly noticeable, but once he focused on it, all he could think about.
His town lay next to a river, brighter than any other and lacking the distinct odor found in those closer to the city. An unused trail led the way, identifiably not through dirt, or lack thereof, but by an old sign reading “Lorem spiritus aquae.”
He had been there maybe once or twice, never quite reaching the river. It’s said that if you were close enough, the spirits whom lived in the water would pull you in and drown you.
Clay knew it was to prevent children from venturing too far, to stop them from leaving the town.
He, of course, had never left his backyard.
A roll of thunder sounded in the distance, and a flash of light caught Clay’s eye. With a frown, he stood up, fully intending to return to his room, when another flash appeared, this time significantly closer. He stilled, eyes wide when, yet again, a flash came from the corner of his eye. He counted to ten, but the town was dead silent. No thunder to be heard.
With hesitant movements, he faced away from his home, toward the north side of town. Squinting his eyes, he moved to block out the sun when suddenly he didn’t have to.
He let out a cry of indignance, jumping away from whatever suddenly blocked his sight.
A boy, no older than he, stood before him. Clay blinked.
He was wearing a white button down, collar up, and long, light blue jeans. Both pieces full of rips and holes, yet somehow shining in color. His cheekbones were pronounced, and long lashes framed grey eyes. But, perhaps the most outstanding thing about him, was the feathered white hair which lay upon his head.
The boy took a step closer, effectively breaking the spell.
“Who are you?” Clay frowned.
The boy smiled, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans.
“Neró.” He replied easily, as though this situation was not uncommon and was used to the question.
His voice was soothing, low and gravely, as though he had just woken up. The exact opposite of his delicate features and grace with which he stood.
Unsure of himself, Clay took a step forward, curious.
“Where did you come from?”
The boy, Neró, motioned with his hand. Clay turned to see, and became even more confused.
“The north?”
Neró nodded.
“But no one ever comes from the north.”
Neró laughed loudly, as though the statement was the funniest thing he’d heard in years. He opened his mouth, as if to reply, but covered it with a hand instead and began laughing even harder.
Clay was more confused than ever. “Excuse me? I don’t see what’s so funny?” Neró was making him embarrassed; he had never met someone with such poor manners. Clay himself had never been in such a situation, and didn’t know what to do. His instinct said not to trust him, if he really did come from the other side of the river, but part of Clay was curious. If Neró had somehow managed to cross the river and remain unscathed, Clay wanted to know how.
“Can you take me there?”
This brought Neró’s laughter to a halt. The field was quiet once more.
“To the north?” he asked with a frown.
“Wherever you came from.”
Now it was Neró’s turn to be confused, a frown gracing his pretty features, “no one’s ever asked me that before.”
“No one’s ever crossed the river before.”
Neró paused, “crossed the river? You think I crossed the river?”
“Where else could you have come from?”
Neró shrugged, “follow me and find out?”
Clay had never really been asked anything like this, so when faced with the question, he didn’t quite know how to respond. His town was boring, and as much as he’d like to think that he was intelligent, the thought of finally figuring out what was over the river outweighed any instinct he could have had. There was something that drew him to Neró, a gut force telling him to follow the boy and find out what he was talking about.
Clay agreed, and the two began a silent walk north.
Upon reaching the worn down sign, Neró paused, turning around.
“Are you sure you wanna see?”
Clay frowned, “You’ve brought me this far, I might as well.”
Neró’s tone of voice was off putting, but it felt like Clay’s head was filled with mist, preventing him from properly thinking the question through. There shouldn’t have been anything wrong with what they were doing, so why did it feel as though something was off?
They approached the river, and some part of Clay’s subconscious noted the return of color in Neró’s cheeks, the way his hair was no longer a stark white but a golden brown, how he didn’t seem as boney.
The two boys came to a halt at the river bed, Clay searching for whatever Neró had used to cross. He jumped when a hand wrapped itself around his wrist, tugging him forward.
“Neró- what are you doing?”
Owlish blue eyes blinked back at him, a small smile gracing his pretty features.
“I really liked you, Clay. I did. But a man’s gotta eat, you know? And you were so so easy to convince. I’ve been watching you for years. I saw you staring out at my home. I couldn’t resist. You understand, right?”
Clay’s eyes widened, his mind becoming increasingly clouded. He couldn’t focus, couldn’t understand the words being spoken to him, only understood that something was very, very wrong.
“Ah, I forgot, you probably can’t even hear me, can you? It’s a side effect, I’m afraid. It’s supposed to make things easier for you. Should mute the pain a little.”
Neró tugged Clay into the river, wrapping his arms around the confused boy.
“It won’t hurt. I promise.”
With that, Neró leaned over, sinking his sharpened teeth into the boy’s neck, and the two sank into the river.

ducky!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: charlie's cup of tea

Postby ducky! » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:25 am

entry by grendel.

"I did that?"
Stepping back, Mason surveyed the magnitude of his actions. He had never meant for this to happen.
-
From the moment he woke up, Mason knew luck was not on his side. he had reached blindly across his small bed, searching the nightstand for his glasses. his hand brushed past them, knocking them to the ground, and in an effort to pick them up, stepped out of bed. his ears were met with the crunch of what could only be his now broken glasses, and he sighed. kicking them under the bed,
he fumbled his way into his bathroom and grabbed an emergency pair he kept just for occasions like this.
after washing up, he left the bathroom and got dressed for work. his job as a barista at the nearby coffee shop was as mainstream as one could get, especially since he didn't care much for the drink himself, but it paid well and Mason didn't have the time to search for a new job. he was a college student, and college students cant afford to be picky.
after leaving his run down apartment, barely having time to say good bye to his roommate once he realized he was going to be late, he decided to skip taking the bus, deciding that it wasn't worth it to waste time standing in line. his body felt heavy, still not fully woken up, and he had to keep pushing up his glasses to avoid another repeat of this morning, but he pushed himself to keep running.
his actions were paused when he heard a sharp yell from a nearby alley. slowing down, mason mentally punched himself. he was a smart boy, clever enough to know that when hearing suspicious noises from an alley way, slowing down was definitely not a good idea. but the scream sounded as though it belonged to someone young, and if he woke up tomorrow morning to a murder on the news, he wasn't sure he'd be able to forgive himself.
he shook his head, let out a sigh, and turned around, slowly peering down the dimly lit street. further down, he noticed what looked to be two or three large men, standing around a hunched figure.
mason was by no means muscular. sure, he had been on his basketball team in high school and was considered pretty good, but two years of not working out and living off of a solid diet of five scent noodles did a number on him. still, if there was anything he could do to help, he wanted to take the chance.
he looked around and spotted a piece of wood leaning against a dumpster. it wasn't like he had many other options, so he grabbed the plank and held it with both hands. it would have to do.
mason slowly made his way down the path, toward the growing voices. he could see a little clearer now, and it seemed as though there were definitely two men, and the victim... wasn't crouching? mason's eyes widened. it was a kid! he cursed under his breath. the poor boy looked to be no older than 14, and it didn't seem as though the older men were physically harming him, but they were leaning over him, voices harsh.
mason's anger increased tenfold. he had to get them away from the boy, but it was obvious his makeshift weapon wouldn't work, but he liked the sense of comfort it gave him.
he took a few steps closer, now hiding behind a few cardboard boxes, when the group suddenly moved in a flurry of limbs. the kid was now shoved against the wall, the two older men shouting at him. all mason saw was red, and in an instant is seemed as though everything happened at once.
the two men let out loud shouts of pain, and the boy dropped to the ground, unharmed. the air around them seemed to get heavier, and mason couldn't breathe. the men were struggling now, fighting against something mason couldn't see, and a pounding entered his head, growing louder by the second. all he could hear was the blood rushing through his veins, the shouts bleeding off into a distant buzz. his vision grew dark, his legs folding underneath him, and then everything went to black
-
when he came to, the men were gone. mason clutched at his head, expecting it to hurt, but he felt surprisingly alright. his body, too, was fine, not a scratch in sight. he looked around, searching for the kid, and when he finally found him huddled in the corner, his eyes softened. the boy looked as though he'd seen a ghost.
"hey... are you okay?" he asked softly, stepping closer. this seemed to scare the kid even more, as he started shaking.
"ple-please don't hurt me! i saw what you did! you're a-a monster!"
mason frowned. he had no idea what the boy was going on about. all he remembered was the mist and the- oh.
he looked around closely, and noticed that there was debris everywhere, almost as if a mini hurricane had appeared while he was passed out.
"you mean... i did this? that's not possible- all i wanted was to help." mason shook his head. clearly, there was something wrong with the boy. a feeling of uneasiness crept up his spine, and suddenly all he wanted was to be as far away from that alley as possible. with one last look at the kid, mason backed up. "i'm sorry, i have to go," turning around, mason ran faster than he'd ever run before.

!!! i actually really like how this turned out!! and now i can go read all the other entries (: good luck to everyone that entered!!!
edit: this story was submitted for a writing contest, where the prompt was "I did this?" and you had to continue writing from there (:
ducky!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me