{ INKLINGS } LOCK! NEW THREAD

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

What do you write?

I don't. I just read.
3%
Poetry
14%
Short stories
24%
Juvenile/Children's books
6%
Young adult/Teen fiction
35%
Adult
13%
Non-fiction
5%

Total votes : 272

Re: { INKLINGS } A Thread For Writers

Postby watermelon. » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Emerald anger

Hahha! I love it! Thank you for answering my pointless questions! Well, actually they did have a point- it helped me a lot. Thanks so much. I am reading warriors, and I really love it... that had nothing to do with this but I just love warriors a lot
[wear a mask] [she/her/hers]
[feel free to dm me]
watermelon.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Falls » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:19 pm

Eheh, I had a descriptive moment xD Wish I had those more often!

Oh wait, I liked Guardians of Gahool as well (until I realized there were too many books in the series for my attention span).
I cannot remember if I've tried to read Warrior Cats before. I'll bet I'd like it now if I would stop being stubborn about it, but I've blacklisted a few books and authors for various petty reasons and Warrior Cats made it on the list of doom. Percy Jackson is on there too.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
﴾ Ғαℓℓs ﴿

CS Status:
semi-inactive

Coding Help:
click here

Sig Requests:
closed

Emergency?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxI'llxalwaysxacceptxPMsxandxhelpxrequestsxfromxfriendsxandxoldxacquaintances.
Falls

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby watermelon. » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:20 pm

Tesalong wrote:You discover that you have died. Well, not exactly. You're actually in a coma, and realize that you're going to be a ghost until your body decides to wake up. The doctors estimate that it'll be "any day now". You have a limited amount of time. With your new ghostly qualities and powers, what do you do with yourself? Will you haunt and scare the living daylights out of your peers, follow your family as they go through daily life without you, or simply enjoy the fact that you're intangible and can move through walls?

Hey everyone! Tesa has chosen the theme for our next contest! I will post the contest up tomorrow on the official thread, but for now- think about what you can do with this AMAZING plot!

Personally, I'm going to try this! I think it's a really cool plot... I would be interested in an entire book of it too.
[wear a mask] [she/her/hers]
[feel free to dm me]
watermelon.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tesalong » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:44 pm

What kinds of things do you look for in an action story?
Good characters, great plot, lots of energy... Something that gets me excited and on the edge of my seat. :D

Do you like writing ABOUT someone, or AS someone more? Why?
As someone. I love characters and enjoy spilling their thoughts out onto paper. They can often make it more humorous, and I feel like it's easier to connect with them {for both reader and writer} if it's written in 3rd person limited or 1st person. You empathize more fully. It's a personal preference. I love getting completely sucked into the mind of a character.

What is your favorite genre to read?
Adventure, sci-fi, action, fantasy, humor, good romance...

What is your favorite to write? Why?
Anything with action and adventure. It tends to get me excited/energized, and I feel much less concerned over whether it'll be too boring or dull. It's simply easier for me at the moment.

Do you like writing about animals? Why or why not?
I don't like writing from an animal's point of view. I find it awkward when concerning romance/attraction, and animals in general perceive and sense the world in different ways than we do. Cats don't see all colors, but hear much better. Dogs have great sense of smell, and are color blind. Bats use echo location. I don't fully understand the limitation of their senses. And I'd need to keep in mind how their body moves and functions. Their behaviors and habits in the species. It's too complex to write from their perspectives.

How do you get detail into your stories without boring parts?
Spill a little at a time... mention it here, put it in there. Don't reveal everything in clusters of huge paragraphs. Spread it out. Detail is interesting, but it can get dull if there's no action or progress as you mention it. Authors don't reveal the entire history of a fantasy world in one sitting, after all. They make that history have importance, and bring it to light throughout the entire novel as it begins to have meaning. Readers still continue to learn even at the last chapters. ^^
Tesalong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby iWonder » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:01 pm

What kinds of things to you look for in an action story?

High peril stunts, the suspenseful chapter ending making you want to find out what the hay is going on. A good villan with a reason. People don't do things just because. There is always a reason. And a compelling, inspiring and entertaining cast.

It depends on the character. I find doing it first person a good way to get to know a character inside and out. "What would ----- do?"

Narrative or third person is usually the style I use because it find it easier to present things. And explain them.

Genre.

Call me nerdy but I really love historical fiction. I also like good and solid fairy tales and general fantasy. I also like non fiction a lot.

I find it fun but I don't think I could do it for a whole book. I used to only do animals when I RPed but I try to avoid it.

as J.R.R. Tolkien said: "Little by little one goes far."

I am now opening Commissions and Art-Trades for a limited time!
PM me on DA for more info and offers!
I do: Anthro, Human, Portraits, Character Design, Fan Art,
Animals, Ponies, Species Design*, Contest Art*
(for adoptions on CS)
-Cheers, Tenna M. N.

** PM Machenza on Deviant Art for more info.

+++I Accept CS$, Deviant Art Currency and Art-Trades.+++
iWonder

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Saosin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:18 pm

Any fighting or training situations. I love comparing how different people write the most simple of fights (hand-to-hand) and then can jump into something insane (giant robots, for example~). I like plot twists, too. And main characters that have supporting ones, but the supporters actually have a part and the hero(s) is/are not what people believe is stereotypical.

I've done both, but from experience I'm more comfortable writing about someone. It gets aggravating with small details in the story, and writing in first person sort of frustrates me. I like describing from afar; even though it's not as intimate a connection with the character as 1st person, it's easier to explain what's happening in the story and give insider hints and whatnot when I'm in third person.

I'm a sucker for non-sappy romances (depending on what I'm reading; if it's novels, I like the story to be focused on the plot, but have some attention to the relationship, but if it's fanfictions you can just go nuts, I won't care). I usually read fantasy, adventure, and sci-fi, but on the off occasion that I find a really good horror book, I'll read it.

I love writing romance and horror. I feel like I work the best around those two genres, since my writing/role playing years have been filled with both. I love pairing people together and writing something cute and fluffy, or more intimate (like long-distance relationships and the teenage crisis kinds); horror lets me come up with creative ways to kill things and scare people. It's a win/win for both.
I'm also comfortable with fantasy and hurt/comfort; I'm not too great at writing fantasy stories, though (I once wrote one about two of my characters becoming dragons and it was fun, but I feel like I took too much away from actual lore). I love mixing horror and angst together. All of the angst. <33

I've role played as a wolf, cat, and dog respectively, and I've written a handful of one-shots about a wolf OC of mine. I don't mind writing as one, and it's pretty fun, but I feel like I'm not really portraying the animal as I should be. I don't understand their limits or their basic instincts as much as I should, so I just stick with humans and hybrids. If the animal is a side character (an OC with a pet), then I have no trouble at all with writing as them. I don't have to put all my attention on the animal itself and wind up dragging on about who-knows-what.

I don't think I've had enough lengthy writing experience to answer this, but I'll try. I mostly write one-shots (I've got ideas much longer than a simple 3,000 - 5,000 words, but I haven't written them yet), or I come up with plots that turn into one-shots. I try to start off in two ways: the reader is introduced close to the center of the plot, and as the story progresses, they're brought through the current timeline and past events; or the reader is brought in smack in the beginning of the story with a bit of background history, and then taken through the rest of the plot as the character does. I'll throw in details here and there, but that's how I usually get the notes in. The reader finds out more as time progresses without having to deal with a fat pageful of blah blah blah. c:
Image Image
previous usernames (please don't use them!)
Diabolical Adonis | ѕασѕιη | Starshine Vancouver
The Nightmagi Cometh | shirogane.
Du Weldenvarden

my links uwu
| |

x
i saw stars in broad daylight
(your daylight)
i'm sending you the sun while you
give me the moon
x
Saosin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tricks » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:37 pm

I love action and adventure, but I'm a sucker for romance- especially when love isn't reciprocated, like when one person
is in love with someone else, but their best friend etc already loves them. xD I just find that interesting.

But anyway, what I look for in an action story is something with a good plot. I'm not here for explosions, I'm here for a plot and characters I admire.

I usually prefer 3rd person, although I have begun a story here on CS in 1st person. 3rd person is much easier for me.

Romance and action/adventure or a cross between the two

^above

My novel was written with a cat as a main character, so yes. I find them just as relatable as humans.

I try not to overdetail it. It's better to not have quite enough detail than to have something so incredibly boring you can't read it. (in my opinion)

i'm full of rats
inactive

tricks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SilverBlade » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:18 pm

A lot of breathtaking plot twists and, well, action. Running, fighting, surviving. But I also really appreciate some romance. Not in a way that's gonna take away from the plot, but enough to make it a little bit more interesting.

I prefer writing in 3rd person, mostly because this way I can point out things that my character doesn't see or can't understand. I also find it easier.

Fantasy. I especially like it when it involves romance.

Again, fantasy and romance. It's easier for me to write it, maybe because this is what I read. I also find fantasy stories more interesting than realistic ones. I don't think I would be able to write something that has nothing to do with supernatural beings, without it ending up to be boring.

No. I highly prefer humans. It's easier for me to relate and far more interesting, in my opinion. On the other hand, I have never tried to read anything with an animal as the main character so I might be wrong.

I try not to write big boring paragraphs [even though I really enjoy writing those]. Instead, I give away details while the story continues. Just like Of The Falls described.

PS. That description is gorgeous, Of The Falls! I mean... wow. c:
xxxImage
xxImage

xx female writer reader

xxxx supernatural
    xxxx teen wolf
    xxxx once upon a time
    xxxx pretty little liars
    xxxx Harry Potter
    xxxx TMI & TID
    xxxx The Host
    xxxx coding
SilverBlade

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby avaria » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:25 pm

I like to write about someone, I've tried to write as somebody but it just doesn't work for me.
Fantasy/Adventure with a tint of Romance.
I enjoy writing Adventure/Action stories with a bit of Fantasy.
I like to read about them, but I dislike writing about them, I feel as if I can't relate.
I get details by adding in little short stories with my descriptions, for example, if I'm writing about how gorgeous a lake looks, I'll start writing about how the main character and their father went fishing one day and tipped the boat, haha.
── growing up
. . . .
╔══════════════╗
nena
partner in crime

╚══════════════╝

╔══════════════╗
art credit
signature credit

╚══════════════╝
. . . .
something else
avaria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:27 am

Duh action, I also love sarcasim hence my like for the Ranger's aprentice. I also love diversity. I find sometimes that if the author writes books that have no conection to each other they tend to run the same lines [brian jaques, G,A henty.
I like to get inside the heads of of my main chacaters. BUT have it like 'why on earth did she just jump of the brige?
What is your favorite genre to read? christain fiction and action
What is your favorite to write? Why?same as above
Do you like writing about animals? Why or why not? yes! I love writing animals. They are just easier to write for me. I can imagaine them much better then a humans in our world. I can write about people if they live in middlle earth or narnia
How do you get detail into your stories without boring parts? Not sure tht I do...

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me