{ INKLINGS } LOCK! NEW THREAD

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

What do you write?

I don't. I just read.
3%
Poetry
14%
Short stories
24%
Juvenile/Children's books
6%
Young adult/Teen fiction
35%
Adult
13%
Non-fiction
5%

Total votes : 272

Re: { INKLINGS } A Thread For Writers

Postby Falls » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 am

It's disappointing to see how the discussion topic was handled. No, civil words were not being used. When words such as "disgusting" and "you are the problem" get thrown around, the discussion has turned to an argument. It doesn't even matter what your intentions were, them's fightin' words. And then a mod closed the debate and people continued to "discuss" as though her position as mod means nothing. Sad sad.
Watermelon, you have a right to be assertive in your authority as mod. No need to second guess a decision on the thread that you co-founded.

Exema. wrote:
|On a lighter note, I have a question for you guys: What is your favorite genre to write, and to read? And what do you think is the easiest? I would have to say horror for the easiest, I am better at writing death scenes than anything else.|

Oooooh, you should send me a death scene when you write one. I like reading intense scenes =D

In fact, if anyone has any dark stories that they are writing, hit me up!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
﴾ Ғαℓℓs ﴿

CS Status:
semi-inactive

Coding Help:
click here

Sig Requests:
closed

Emergency?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxI'llxalwaysxacceptxPMsxandxhelpxrequestsxfromxfriendsxandxoldxacquaintances.
Falls

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Agent Cooper » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:29 am

Then the "argument" is done. I just thought it was a topic that should be discussed, and we shouldn't shy away from discussing things on a thread. I apologize if it seemed like I got aggressive, I didn't mean to, but these things are related to writing and rather important.

Anyways,
I haven't..thought of a plot for my story yet actually. I have a bunch of characters and stuff, but no plot. No idea what universe they're going to be in.
𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐘 𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐇𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐊𝐄𝐍 𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐃

kit - it/itself

ImageImage Image Image Image

Image Image ImageImage Image

𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐀𝐑𝐁𝐄𝐃 𝐑𝐈𝐁𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐎𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓
Agent Cooper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rolly-chan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:30 am

It took a while for me to write this so forgive me for still posting it.

Equal rights are always important. You might not think it is because you're living in relative safety, because you're looking at it from a perspective of relative privilege. But other women all around the globe are being oppressed, they are being hurt physically and mentally, they are being forbidden and denied things that should be available to everyone.
Human lives always matter. The same thing holds for any other oppressed group. We, if we are privileged, do not have the right to tell oppressed people that it's not that bad and it doesn't matter. For them it does matter. It does an awful lot because it dictates their lives. THEY are the ones who feel it, not us. And in the case of women's rights, it's us who feel it. You may not feel it now, but if you're thinking even a little critically, you'll feel it soon enough, you'll notice.

Representation matters. What we see on the screen and what we read in books influences us very very much. It warps our perspective. That's why supporting diversity in books is so important. People need to be exposed to diversity to grow so used to it that it's normal. Because right now? The world most books and movies show us is a fantasy world without all the many people that ACTUALLY inhabit it. Even those that are about mundane people and mundane things.

How many protagonists with severe disabilities can you name as compared to abled protagonists and as compared to how many people with severe disabilities there are?
How many non-white protagonists can you name as compared to white protagonists and as compared to the percentage of the non-white population?
The ratio isn't anywhere near equal. Same with most minorities. These people want to see themselves in books too.

@Cali Spaniel
Everyone thinks it's wrong to bully and rape men. Guess what they don't say about boys and men when they are raped. That they asked for it. People do say that about women. They turn it around and blame women for it. That's the problem with the whole thing. It's not that these things happen, as space deer said, it's about how these things are handled.

---

What do you do to get into the writing mood? Do you listen to hard rock or soft music, read over idea bubbles and think, etc.
It's always different. I don't really need music to get into a writing mood. Actually, that distracts me more than it helps xD It does provide me with ideas and inspiration, but I need to have an environment that doesn't distract me, which is why my best place to get into writing mood is at home. But finding a place that doesn't distract me is a little tricky too. Sometimes I can write in a really full train. Other times I can't because that group of teenagers over there are laughing too loudly (I don't mind teenagers laughing when they're having fun, but sometimes it distracts me xD).
The main thing I have to do is kick myself in the butt whenever I think I can't write. That's the thing that works best with me. Just write. Force myself to start. Once I start, it flows easier.
Rolly-chan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Agent Cooper » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:32 am

As a bit of an add-on to my writing thing, I usually get very very inspired by watching something else and spending 9 hours thinking about how cool a scene would be in my story but I don't want to plagiarize..

kit - it/itself

Agent Cooper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tricks » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:32 am

space deer wrote:As a bit of an add-on to my writing thing, I usually get very very inspired by watching something else and spending 9 hours thinking about how cool a scene would be in my story but I don't want to plagiarize..

*I feel you

i'm full of rats
inactive

tricks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby watermelon. » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:34 am

Okay, so we have decided that this discussion is over. You may vote on the poll, and THINK about your opinion but please don't say it here.

space deer wrote:As a bit of an add-on to my writing thing, I usually get very very inspired by watching something else and spending 9 hours thinking about how cool a scene would be in my story but I don't want to plagiarize..

That is so my life... once I read a book and a few days later I was writing a story that was a whole lot like that story. I read over it and I was like, "Oh oops!" because I had just then realized it was a basically plagerism.
Last edited by watermelon. on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
[wear a mask] [she/her/hers]
[feel free to dm me]
watermelon.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tuesdaysart » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:35 am

space deer wrote:
Cali Spaniel wrote:O-O
I think there should be a book about a genderless blob.
• No sexism
• No stereotypes
• It can be anything it wants to be
• Everyone is happy.
||•|| There are good and bad things on both sides of the argument.
I believe there is wrong treatment against boys, not necessarily as much as girls, but enough to make you seem like you think females are the master gender.
Boys get forced into mating.
Boys get bullied.
Boys, not all of them, treat us with respect and as equals.
Boys can feel insecure, especially with how they look compared to what's displayed in the media.
Boys can have depression.
We're practically already equal on the balance of humanism.
The media is TRYING to inject a few characters that aren't sexy lamps, even in KIDS MEDIA.
The LGBT community is kinda forgotten about in books and movies unless it's a stereotype (probably because 75% of people are highly religious and set in their ways).
What are we doing to bring justice to //them//?||•||

Non-binary people do actually exist, and they are a thing, and there is a nonbinary person in my book.

Boys get raped, sure, but not nearly as much as women.
Boys get bullied, sure, but I didn't say anything about bullying.
Boys directly benefit from treating us like dirt, even if they don't do it directly.
Boys can have depression, yes, I'm not denying that.
This isn't about if men can be raped or not, this is about representation.

All men are misogynistic. Even if they don't mean to, even if they try so hard, it's internalized. They benefit from misogyny. And yes, we're trying, but it isn't enough. It's like 3 books with female main leads to the 1000 books about male main leads.

Yes, I do agree a lot about the LGBT community, but this isn't really about that right now? The LGBT is ignored and a lot more forgotten than females, and god forbid anyone have a story about a LGBT+ female.

Isn't there a scholarship just for being female?
I believe there is...
Non-binary people aren't in published books either. Not that I know of.
Anyways, there are plenty of books with female leads. They might not be as popular as Harry Potter or The Hunger Games with large fandoms, but look at book exchange places, with books old and new.

Don't scold me for being uneducated. I'm like what, 13? I also just got back from school and I could easily go to bed now if my brain dead sports obsessed brother wasn't in the room watching his sports on YouTube WITHOUT HEADPHONES.
((I didn't know the discussion was closed, I aware. "030))
I recommend English as a Second Language as a good read for older readers. It's pretty similar in style to TFIOS.
ImageImageImage
tuesdaysart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Agent Cooper » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:36 am

Yeah, I have a bad problem of plagiarizing without meaning it. I just think something is really cool and write something """inspired""" by it, and oops its actually word for word what I read/watched

kit - it/itself

Agent Cooper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby watermelon. » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:40 am

space deer wrote:Yeah, I have a bad problem of plagiarizing without meaning it. I just think something is really cool and write something """inspired""" by it, and oops its actually word for word what I read/watched

I don't still have the story but if I did I would show you :lol: It was "based" on fablehaven, but when I read it I was like... uh this is going to be the exact same thing with a different character..
[wear a mask] [she/her/hers]
[feel free to dm me]
watermelon.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tuesdaysart » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:41 am

U3U
Now that feminists are ticked at me, let's lighten up the mood, shall we?
What characters do you feel more comfortable writing about:
Human or animal/mythological creature?
If the latter, do you write them as you would an average person or do you write in a similar fashion as Erin Hunter and make up words that an animal might think when looking into our world?
ImageImageImage
tuesdaysart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me