Based on Click to view
Artist SurgeFire [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 23 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
51 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Hunter's Woods #200 - winged cat

Postby SurgeFire » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:37 am

Main thread
To adopt you must either have a founder and be level 1. Or, you can adopt this one as your founder!

200?? n i c e
once i saw i could do one of these i ju m p ed

anyways...
this cat looks like it's traveled far; certainly much easier to do so with their wings... tell me about their travels! what have they gotten up to before deciding to stay in your group?
and tell me... why do they stay in your group? how do they fit in when they have... you know, wings?

you have a total of 1500 words and no maximum in art!
this ends april 17th, 11:59 PM EDT ... pm me for extensions

won by reyligion
Last edited by SurgeFire on Fri May 01, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SurgeFire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Hunter's Woods #200 - winged cat

Postby denja » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:39 am

res!
denja

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Firedancer77 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:39 am

mark mark mark!!!

Isle of Roses | Valley of Kings

One of these days a-coming, I'm gonna take that boy's crown

Cause I am, I am a little wicked
I am, I am
Hands red, hands red just like he said

I am a little wicked

No one calls you honey when you're sitting on a throne
Firedancer77

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hawkfire102 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:39 am

Res!

Th: hawkfire102
Art Shop | Character Design Shop
hawkfire102

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Syn_cat » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:39 am

Mark
Syn_cat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby viridxty » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:40 am

Huge Res!
viridxty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby strawberryjelly » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:52 am

res!
val | she/her | Fallen Light | hi ! call me valerie :) an animal lover, farming game enthusiast. i'm not on here much anymore but feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any questions.

<- click for image credit
strawberryjelly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hypnowave » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:56 am

────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

username: reyligion
    name: Soseki
    link to thread: n/a - will make if won
    prompt:

────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

i - origin
"My earliest days were spent in a box, wriggling against my three littermates atop a damp towel. I heard roaring every few hours; a pounding, rushing noise that made my feeble body quiver. I still remember how it felt to this day. When I first opened my eyes, I saw slivers of light filtering from the five holes punched haphazardly into the lid."

The cat gave you a sheepish grin. " 'Course, I could have spent the rest of my life there in that box. It was cold, damp, and... we were hungry. Our only windows to the outside world were those breathing holes. If that box had never been opened, that would have been the end of it for us."

ii - childhood
"Evan was a nice man; I suppose that's what you'd expect from a veterinarian, though. He was the closest I ever had to a father, and he was an exceptional one. He raised me and my siblings in his small, porcelain-white bathroom; he fed us and kept us warm, and in return we trashed his rug." He paused for a moment to flex his claws, dryly emphasizing his words. "We loved him dearly, even on the day he took us to the shelter."

His sour voice betrayed a hint of bittersweetness. "I do understand that he wanted us to go to good homes. Sometimes, though, I wish I could have stayed in touch with my siblings. We didn't even have real names yet."

iii - separation
A short pause followed, as the cat appeared lost in thought. "I can remember them," he murmured. "I remember precisely what they looked like, but I never knew their names. I miss my only brother. His fur was as white as the bubbles atop ocean waves. He was the last of my siblings to get adopted." He looked down at his own paws. "The last before me."

"When they took him away, I learned what loneliness felt like. Not only was Evan gone, so were all my siblings. My claustrophobic little enclosure was all that was left." The cat then straightened up, ruffling his wings. "But then came Annie."

iv - family
"Annie was short and chubby with a face full of freckles and a gap between her front teeth." The cat chuckled. "I don't think I could ever forget her. Her hugs were soft as feathers, and her warmth enveloped me like a blanket. You could tell that I was her first cat, because she was curious but cautious, loving but reckless. She was everything to me."

"I remember what her mother said. 'You picked the cat, so I get to pick the name.' That's where I got the name Soseki, from a book she was reading." Soseki held a paw up to his chest. "Me. From that point on, I had a name. A name that Annie would call me by whenever she wanted to play. A name that her mother would say when it was mealtime. A name," he said, beaming, "for me to just be me."

v - wandering
"I must have spent over a year with that family; over a year filled to the brim with catnip, snuggles and claw trimming." His eyes grew misty. "But I suppose all good things must come to an end. It was a confusing whirlwind of events for little Soseki. I didn't understand why the house was suddenly so barren and empty until they put me in my carrier and took me across the country on the way to their new house."

"At one point, they stopped the car at a rest area, and Annie's father opened the door. He didn't realize that she had let me out of the carrier, and when I saw the way out, I... I bolted." His voice was solemn. "Looking back, I can still feel how disoriented I was at the time. Everything felt so sudden, I was overwhelmed. I'd love to say that things could have been different, but truthfully, they wouldn't have." He pawed at the earth. "I ran and ran until my legs gave out, never looking back. When I realized I was lost, I had to fend for myself. I hated being so alone."

vi - fields
"I don't like to talk about the month I spent on the road, all alone like that. So I'll just talk about the next turn my life took," he declared, fiddling with his own claws. "You see, I never really learned to hunt. I doubt chasing after my siblings' tails counts, anyway. I'm sure you can imagine how scrawny I was when I first met Genki."

"Genki had white fur with black patches. He was a round and pudgy cat whose muzzle was graying with age. He had a voice that was rough like sand beneath your paws, but his heart was made of gold. When he found me in the corn fields, dazed and frightened, he led me to the barn where he lived." A smile tugged at Soseki's lips. "Now I always associate the fields with his voice. He taught me how to hunt, weaving his way through the grass in search of unsuspecting rats. Even the middle-aged farmer and his eldest son took notice of how he looked out for me. I think they were just happy that he found someone to care for."

vii - waters
"Although Genki didn't mind the humans, he was always wary of them. Me?" Soseki let out a soft chuckle. "I've lived with them all my life. When rats reached the farmer's house, I was the one to take care of them. Thomas, the son, basically claimed me as his own. Let me sleep on his ragged quilt and everything, snuggled right up against his pillow. When he left the farm to start fishing down the river, I tagged along."

"Though I loved Thomas dearly, I feared I would not be able to adjust. The metal flooring was cold and unfamiliar after my days on the farmlands, and I missed the crowing of chickens in the distance and the baying of the cows, and... I missed Genki too. But as I lay there, the great machine below me roared to life. A thrumming that took me back to the days at the train station." He looked embarrassed. "I could never explain it, but it always brought me peace."

viii - lighthouse
"I learned that Thomas loved the open waters more than he loved the rolling hills of the farmlands. I spent years with him." He looked wistful. "But trip after trip, my joints began to ache. I was growing old, and he was aware of it. He took me on our last boat ride one day. I can never forget the humid breeze batting away at my fur and whiskers. The engine's low hum drowned out Thomas' gruff voice, but I could remember his words: we're going someplace new."

"Down the river we went, until we reached the open sea. I don't think I've ever seen a place so beautiful before. From that day on, we lived beside the cliffs. Thomas tended to the lighthouse while I kept him company. The waves would chase each other to and fro, their echoes once again reminding me of my childhood.

ix - the fall
"Life there was peaceful." Soseki drew a breath. "The fresh air was good for my lungs, and there was always fish aplenty. I even loved chasing the seagulls, even if I never got to them, heh. Genki would have been disappointed in me. But in retrospect, perhaps the cliffs weren't the best place for a rickety old cat."

"I don't remember much of that day. I remember the clouds on the horizon growing ever larger, ever darker. I remember the thunder, the howling winds and the rain that came down in heaps. I remember running down the cliff, trying to reach home, safety, Thomas. The last thing I remember was my paws slipping, and the beat that my heart skipped. The last thing I remember was the fall."

x - epilogue

The winged tom fell silent for a moment. He looked shaken. "To be honest," he murmured gravely, "I often wonder whether I'm dead or alive." Birds chirp in the distance, and he welcomes nature's quiet interruption. "I woke up with these wings and a memory that almost never fails me. I remember every word, every face, every moment."

"I look back and I remember each of my nine lives. I learned so much. I learned about kindness, loss, fear... and of course, I learned about love." He smiled. "I was a lucky cat. I don't know what happened when I fell, but that doesn't really matter, now, does it?"

"Besides," he laughs, "I'm still here, and still telling you this story. I've learned so much throughout my years. The least I could do is pass it on to others. If even one part of my life resonates with you, then I'm happy. No one deserves to feel unwelcome."

[ 1500 / 1500 ]

credits:
    chapter 4 "family" art by goddess sword, background by shaun montero
    chapter 6 "fields" art and chapter 8 "lighthouse" art by mistcat
    all other art pieces featured in this form were done by me

Last edited by hypnowave on Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
hypnowave

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wet Bread » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:02 am

username: Wet Bread
name: Peryton (Pery)
Link to thread: Rusted Daemons
prompt:
"And why would you want to stay with us, the cats responsible for destroying every cat you once called family?" The sleek black cat asked him, her bright red eyes bore into Peryton, as if she were glancing at every secret of his past, carefully sifting through them. In fact, maybe she was. Bael, the leader of Rusted Daemons, the group responsible for Peryton's own tribe's demise, stood above him as if passing divine judgement. Flanked around her were two equally frightening cats, one that used their magic to keep Peryton frozen in place. The other, using their magic to force words of truth out of Peryton's mouth. One would think he had no control in this situation, but Peryton came here only to speak the truth, nothing less.

"To explain that, I have quite a story to tell." Peryton told her, feeling just an ounce of satisfaction at the flicker of impatience in Bael's eyes.

The story begins in a small nomadic tribe. I was born there, and I was born quite unusual, with my little wings. Now our tribe had quite the oracle. She was known for having the most accurate prophecies, especially considering disasters. Shortly before I was born she delivered the prophecy to the tribe: A cat that can fly with the birds will bring about our destruction.

Naturally, cats were fearful of what my birth meant for the tribe, but my family's love for me beat out their apprehension. That was, until I reached adulthood. As I grew older and older, small bad things began happening to the tribe and, to my great misfortune, they always seemed to happen when I was around. Food stores would go bad, cats would get injured or sick, and so on. So finally, when I reached maturity, the tribe gathered up the courage to ask me to leave. I wasn't mad at them, not really. They were just scared of what might happen.

The best solution for everyone was for me to leave. I said my goodbyes with no bitterness. Even my tribe seemed forlorn to see me go despite their fear. I soared off to new lands, seeking someplace I could call home.

My wings took me many places, and some were harder to traverse than others.

There was a cave system I visited that was incredible. The deeper I got, the more I realized it was a source of magic. There were carvings on the walls and a subtle glow. It finally released me into what looked like the ocean. However, I still stood on solid ground and could breathe the air. It was actually the furthest and largest chamber, made of a crystal so light and clear that I could see the water beyond. I had no access to magic, yet I could still feel it flowing through me somehow. I knew I was in a sacred place and it wasn't meant for my paws, so I moved on, feeling as though there were eyes watching me closely the whole time. As I retraced my steps, I found myself lost in the caves with a feeling of dread creeping in on me. Shadows followed me along the walls, but they never attacked me.

It took me days to escape, and when I did, I soon ended up trapped in a place that felt equally as isolating. I landed in the forest, just for a drink of water, only to find that the branches had twisted behind me, obscuring any way out. Trees were constantly shifting around me, preventing me from getting any real sense of where I was. I came across other cats in this forest, but none of them were friendly. They were all hostile and many of them were changed by the forest, partly overtaken by the trees. I swore I saw some trees in the shape of a cat lurking in the forest as well. It was as if the forest itself had claimed them.

I tried a couple times to just fly out, but even the canopy was blocked and sent me spiraling back to the ground. After a while, I started to lose any sense of time or place.When I noticed a bit of moss growing from my fur, I began to worry. Was my fate to become one of those creatures that attacked me?

I got lucky and stumbled upon the clearing in the middle of the forest. By the time I reached it, I was exhausted from walking. I would have collapsed but the strange magic here seemed to energize and revive me. The creatures that were trailing me didn't dare step into the clearing and the lichen and leaves that had sprouted on my fur fell away. There was a stump in the center of the clearing with only a small carving in it. With a start, I realized I recognized the symbol. I thought it was just another runic carving in the caves I traversed but I now realized this symbol must mean something. It had to be an insignia of some sorts, claiming ownership of this forest.

I left the forest as quickly as possible. The clearing gave me an opportunity to fly straight up and out of the clearing. I flew until I was well away from the forest. I still wasn't sure where I was headed, but fate was leading me to the group that placed claim on so many centers of magic. I was being led towards something for a purpose.

Finally, upon reaching the outskirts of a small woodland, I found what I was looking for. As I stood atop the highest branch of a tree, I could see the scrapyard a ways away. I could also sense the magic barrier that surrounded it, preventing me from entering. The magic felt exactly the same as in that forest and that cave. This was definitely the place. I still couldn't figure out why my wings led me here, but I'd finally made it. I slept in that tree peacefully, but what I awoke to was not peace. I must not have noticed in all my exhaustion the night before, but a group of cats had encroached on this magic holding group's territory. Now, I had awoken to a terrible battle below me. I realized two things with a sense of terror: the first was that this, "invading group" hold no magic and were all fighting with just their teeth and claws, second was that this group had been the same group I was raised in.

Immediately I flew down, seeking to help my old friends and family, however I was no match for these magic using cats. One cat hit me with a spell that made my vision go blurry and I fell to the ground, becoming very sleepy. Before I lost consciousness, I thought that my travels had been wasted, I still brought about destruction to my tribe. However, just as the lights faded out around me, I saw something soaring above us in the sky. Something shaped like a cat.

"And then I woke up here, a prisoner, with my whole tribe wiped out." Peryton added, finishing his story.

"So, you seek revenge?" Bael asked, something sharp glittering in her eyes.

"No." Peryton answered quickly. "It's true that I hold anger towards you for their destruction, but I still think I was lead here for a reason. I think there's good left in this group, and I might be able to bring it out." Bael burst out in what may be the most horrible laughter Peryton had ever heard.

"Fine." Bael said finally, as she calmed her chuckles. "Since you've made such a ridiculous notion, and I think it'll be funny to watch it play out, I'll allow you to join Rusted Daemons. If you can prove yourself as a peasant, perhaps I'll allow you to train as a student someday."

"Thank you very much." Peryton replied with a polite dip of his head. Despite his grief, he was looking forward to the future. One of the cats led Peryton out of Bael's den and he could hardly contain his grin. It was true, there was good in this group he could bring out, he felt it. That good wasn't the cats themselves though. It was the magic they'd stolen from countless sacred sites. Peryton wasn't sure how, but he was going to take that magic himself. He'd been so close, nearly tasted it so many times in his hunt for Rusted Daemons, but now he had a real opportunity to get his paws on it. When he did, the bad in this group would be entirely wiped out.

[1,448 words]
Last edited by Wet Bread on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[center]
She/they | feel free to call me Wet or Save | Just quietly existing
eternal favorite person
Wet Bread

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me