The History Nerds Thread

For topics which don't fit anywhere else! Discuss the weather, your mood, hobbies and interests. Remember, keep it child-friendly :)

Re: The History Nerds Thread

Postby Captain. A. Stark. » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:48 pm

hey! it's been awhile since i've been here --

does anyone want to discuss the history of pride (since it's pride month?)! i don't mind having a small chat here xx
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    fal | she/they | musician | psych major 👁
    - RWC - trades - - hanzo - loki - #MMIW
Captain. A. Stark.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Cas. » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:59 am

I want to learn more about it.

Inform me-
I’m leaving the site. Anything that is unlocked in my trades or items is up for grabs. PM me for locked pets or C$
.Cas.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Cas. » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:47 pm

Bump
I’m leaving the site. Anything that is unlocked in my trades or items is up for grabs. PM me for locked pets or C$
.Cas.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain. A. Stark. » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:45 am

oops its not pride month anymore but uhh
    let's talk anyway (:

so if im right, stonewall is a big staple and started a series of movements between people all over the country
    president clinton eventually and officially declared june pride month in 1999 and 2000 you can fact check me, im going off of my horrible memory here :0

that's really significant to me especially since oppression for the lgbt community has been around for.. well.. ages! the points where it was illegal and where it was punishable makes me so angry, why are people being punished for loving who they want? love is love. im glad that gay marriage and more rights were approved in more recent years, but i feel like our progress is being undone for some reason. our ancestors and veterans fought hard for a country of freedom, and racial and lgbt rights are still under judgement. what did those fights stand for if people can't be respected for their individuality? this is coming out more like a rant so i'm going to stop here oops - but what do you guys think? it's all changed from a national fight for freedom to something.. else that shouldn't even exist. equality MATTERS.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Captain. A. Stark.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LilyHorse » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:47 am

Okay, this is cool. Might just stalk.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

2020: I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 38 people.
I have received 34 gifts.

2021: I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 18 people.
I have received 20 gifts.

I am missing a lot of late '21 and 2022 pets! plz trade i don't bite

____________________________________________________________________________________________

lilyhorse ..................
LilyHorse

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Cas. » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:23 am

Captain. A. Stark. wrote:
    oops its not pride month anymore but uhh
    let's talk anyway (:

so if im right, stonewall is a big staple and started a series of movements between people all over the country
    president clinton eventually and officially declared june pride month in 1999 and 2000 you can fact check me, im going off of my horrible memory here :0

that's really significant to me especially since oppression for the lgbt community has been around for.. well.. ages! the points where it was illegal and where it was punishable makes me so angry, why are people being punished for loving who they want? love is love. im glad that gay marriage and more rights were approved in more recent years, but i feel like our progress is being undone for some reason. our ancestors and veterans fought hard for a country of freedom, and racial and lgbt rights are still under judgement. what did those fights stand for if people can't be respected for their individuality? this is coming out more like a rant so i'm going to stop here oops - but what do you guys think? it's all changed from a national fight for freedom to something.. else that shouldn't even exist. equality MATTERS.

I must admit I have strong political feelings on this matter, so I am quick to blame the POTUS... I just think this is a bad time for everything, just because you can end every statement with “and then there is a pandemic.”
.Cas.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain. A. Stark. » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:00 am

.Cas. wrote:
    Captain. A. Stark. wrote:oops its not pride month anymore but uhh
    let's talk anyway (:

I must admit I have strong political feelings on this matter, so I am quick to blame the POTUS... I just think this is a bad time for everything, just because you can end every statement with “and then there is a pandemic.”

i think the POTUS does play a big part, especially with his administration now treating transgender health care rights differently. And that's right... there is a pandemic and we have people who aren't willing to take the steps to make sure we all make it out safely. sometimes i wonder where they got the idea that's it's fake and that they can't contract it when there are thousands of people dying from it everyday.. i know groups of people throughout history made the same mistakes. like people used to put scrolls or poems on their door believing it would ward away the disease. they were the first to die when the wave came around. as aoc once said "the definition of insanity is choosing to do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Captain. A. Stark.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby reynard » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:19 am

very late to the party here but figured I would love to nerd out with y'all.

I liked history enough I ended up getting a Bachelor's degree in it, it was that interesting. I ended up becoming dual specialized in Medieval English History (specifically War of the Roses and before that kind of era. The Plantagenet dynasty was always super cool to me) and Native American History/Policy. Definitely was not the plan I had going into undergrad, but things happen, here we are, haha.
    I also found a way to make my English degree have a history focus by mainly studying pre-1600 English literature (Shakespeare, Chaucer, etc), and doing most of my work and research on Shakespeare's Histories.

That is my little blurb of background, haha. Otherwise, I filled out the little form:
    Username: bel racat
    Favorite Historical Figure: Richard III
    Favorite type of History: Medieval English, specifically into the propoganda and historiography side of things.
    Favorite War: The Hundred Years War
Image]

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 18 people.
I have received 14 gifts.

IMPORTANT INFO: For the description portion, you have to break up each line to fit within the invisible boundary. Try to fit it within the "page break".
reynard
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rabbit_with_a_fedora » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:29 am

Username: AvalancheTheIcewing
Favorite Historical Figure: Winston Churchill
Favorite type of History: Hrrnnn. ALL OF IT FEED ME HISTORRYYYY (but mostly wars and politics)
Favorite War: WW2 and 1
but also all of them

Heyo!
I'm Vivy, and I'm a TOTAL History nerd. I love all the aspects of history, and I don't really focus on just one part. I usually have phases when it comes to me learning stuff, such as when I was really young I was obsessed with Ancient Egypt, and now I'm kinda obsessed with post-WWII to now (like NATO, the UN, Cold War, stuff like that) My favourite part of learning history is thinking how things happened, especially politically!
I hope u all stay safe!
:3
hi, i'm rabbit!
she/her or any pronouns
canadian (i speak english, canadian french and i'm learning danish! i speak mandarin at home but i'm not super fluent in writing or reading it)

check out my grab bags/trading thread: xx

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

rabbit_with_a_fedora

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Cas. » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:33 am

@Stark

There were also people who thought seatbelts were bad... wow. There’s just those types of people. In short, wear a mask, be safe, and try to love everyone.

@Bel Racat

I’m down to learn some early European History. If you don’t mind teaching me some, that is.

Additionally, I’m trying to convince people there is value to a history major. What do you do with said Major? Help a fellow nut out here (I say nut because I study the antebellum/Civil War era) and I managed to get a five on the AP exam.

Also, I swear I am not here waving my confederate flag in anyone’s face. I actually believe quite strongly in #BML. I look at the Civil War more as the mistake of a young nation. Writing out slavery as many of the other world powers did around the early 1800s was the best move. We could have done better. Even some of the founding father’s agreed, such as Jefferson trying to write an Anti-slavery clause into the Declaration of Independence.

@Vivvy

So, you’re like me! I love studying War. I am not as familiar with WW1 and WW2 as I never had a class that studied them in huge depth. (When referring to WW2, we mostly covered the Holocaust end year after year after year, but not usually the wars. When we did, we did it so quickly it was just spewing things verbatim onto vocabulary tests. I can tell you most of the names, but asked the historical relevance and I can’t do much there. Aside from Pearl Harbor...)

WW1 is a totally different can of worms. I swear my teacher was a communist because the only thing he mentioned was how it spread the ideologies of communism. I managed to learn a little bit about before the war- the Open Door Policy Of China, the spheres of influence in Chia etc... but none of that played into WW1. It was all the Archduke Ferdinand’s (?) assassination in Sarajevo, I know that started it. And that Serbia was in that war, and Russia, and France somehow. I can’t tell you at all how it played out. The United States joined around the time of the sinking of Lusitania (I spelt that wrong and I know it) because the Germans (?) shot it down thinking it was carrying supplies to allies.

As I said to Bel, I’m a little better with the Civil War. My teacher for the Civil War was honestly among the best I ever had. I really should have aid attention more instead of doodling. I’m mad at myself for it all the time. I could've been the real OG at History. Maybe I could’ve somehow landed a 6 on the APUSH exam (my poor excuse of a joke)
.Cas.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me