AP Classes + SAT

For topics which don't fit anywhere else! Discuss the weather, your mood, hobbies and interests. Remember, keep it child-friendly :)

Re: AP Classes

Postby The Score » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:58 pm

Thank you so much for this! For AP Calc, when are you allowed to use pens? Also, how did you manage all your AP classes?
The Score
The Score

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stoatkiss » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:01 pm

thereallps121 wrote:Thank you so much for this! For AP Calc, when are you allowed to use pens? Also, how did you manage all your AP classes?

for AP Calc, I believe you can use a pen on the free response (but I used a pencil). Do not use a pencil on the bubble answer sheet!!
I didn't have a huge AP courseload this year, but I tend not to get stressed very easily so it wasn't too much of a struggle for me, so there's not much advice I can offer. Sorry about that!
Rhea / it/they/she / adult

formerly Ejecta

TH
x
stoatkiss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Score » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:13 am

shrillkrill wrote:
thereallps121 wrote:Thank you so much for this! For AP Calc, when are you allowed to use pens? Also, how did you manage all your AP classes?

for AP Calc, I believe you can use a pen on the free response (but I used a pencil). Do not use a pencil on the bubble answer sheet!!
I didn't have a huge AP courseload this year, but I tend not to get stressed very easily so it wasn't too much of a struggle for me, so there's not much advice I can offer. Sorry about that!

Ahh, Ok. That's really interesting that they let you do math in pen. I really wanna take AP Calc AB, is it a hard course?
The Score
The Score

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stoatkiss » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:00 am

thereallps121 wrote:Ahh, Ok. That's really interesting that they let you do math in pen. I really wanna take AP Calc AB, is it a hard course?

I didn't find Calc AB to be too difficult (I ended the course with a 94), but I'm quite good at math. Practise everything as much as you can, it will get easier with time and use!
Rhea / it/they/she / adult

formerly Ejecta

TH
x
stoatkiss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Score » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:32 am

shrillkrill wrote:
thereallps121 wrote:Ahh, Ok. That's really interesting that they let you do math in pen. I really wanna take AP Calc AB, is it a hard course?

I didn't find Calc AB to be too difficult (I ended the course with a 94), but I'm quite good at math. Practise everything as much as you can, it will get easier with time and use!

I really liked math until this year where it was totally killed off.
I'm trying to fall in love with math against by going into Calc AB by skipping a year of Precalc over the summer. Any tips?
The Score
The Score

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 心裡學 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:12 pm

thereallps121 wrote:
shrillkrill wrote:

I really liked math until this year where it was totally killed off.
I'm trying to fall in love with math against by going into Calc AB by skipping a year of Precalc over the summer. Any tips?

Wow, getting into math by taking a math AP course? I like your spirit. Pay attention in class and understand the concepts. If there are any Precalc concepts you aren't familiar with, take time to learn (or relearn) until you get it.

On regards of the AP Calc exam, this is a rather lame generic response, but make sure to study. If FRQs are your weak point, then focus on that more than the multiple choice. Any topics you struggle with, put more attention on that.

Also, you may have AP test practice/prep-related stuff in class. Take those seriously and work with how well you do.

Last year I took AP Biology. This year I took AP Chemistry, AP Language, AP Calc AB, and AP Psych. Last year I didn't study enough and just "winged" it. This year the most I did with studying (outside of class) was a few hours of studying the day before each exam. Some exams I didn't study outside of school because of (over?)confidence and lack of time management. If it wasn't for my focusing and keeping up with classwork and such, I probably wouldn't do so hot on some of them.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
• cpop, kpop & idol survival show enthusiast •
• 別再怕我受傷害 / 心理戰用在這未免太見外 --

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
心裡學

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Score » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:24 pm

Can you give me more insight about AP Biology, I really want to take that class. What are some things I should pay attention to, what are some effective study tips? How are you handling taking 4 AP classes all at once? I want to take AP Calc AB because of the social aspect of the previous math class I took >-<
The Score
The Score

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 心裡學 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:53 pm

thereallps121 wrote:Can you give me more insight about AP Biology, I really want to take that class. What are some things I should pay attention to, what are some effective study tips? How are you handling taking 4 AP classes all at once? I want to take AP Calc AB because of the social aspect of the previous math class I took >-<

AP Bio was my hardest class that year, but it partially had to do with my study habits:
- Other than the first two units, my book was left unread and collecting dust. I just learned the material from what was given in class
- Didn't do a lot of extra practice outside of class

So pretty much, as long as you can budget your time well enough to allocate room for studying the given material and actually read the book + do any resources that would help you for that class, then you're good. Unfortunately, I'm not quite the person you should be asking for study tips from, ahahah.... I guess put a lot of focus on the ecology (because there can be a good chance that it'll come up. Not always, but I remember there was one year where a lot of the FRQs were on ecology) and evolution unit (only because it's the basis of everything).

My parents insisted I take AP Chem and AP Calc. I decided to take AP Lang because it would really help me with writing timed essays on other standardized tests (ACT, SAT) and AP Psych to finish a Social Studies requirement (because the class was put under that branch and was the only one that interested me). So voila, 4 APs.

Math has always been my strongest subject, so AP Calc wasn't bad. It's pretty nice when you take an advanced math class (or any advanced class, really) because there wouldn't be anyone who slacks off out of lack of interest in the class.

Most of my focus went towards my other three AP classes, especially AP Chem. It's regarded as one of the harder AP courses (and I agree), and the class I took... was rather messy. It's more of a thing going on in my school, so it hopefully won't be applicable to you if you were to take the class (assuming you haven't already).

I can't comment much on AP Lang other than it had a lot of writing and I've burned out in the last quarter of the school year. (I'm tired, school's almost over, what can I say?)

I liked learning about the material covered in AP Psych and had a teacher who made the class enjoyable. It was a class that required a lot of reading outside of class though.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
心裡學

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Score » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:21 pm

Hmmm, I really wanna take AP Calc AB. Do you think that if you studied for AP Bio, it would have been interesting? Also, what was your favorite AP class? Was it AP Psych
The Score
The Score

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 心裡學 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:59 pm

@thereallps121
I'm overall pretty neutral towards the biological sciences (some units I like more than others, some units I ended up not liking because I did bad oops so I guess studying would've boosted a bit). If biology is a subject that really interests you, then by all means take it. Just make sure you keep up with your work and study, haha.

Yeah, AP Psych is probably my favorite AP class. AP Calc AB would be my second, although I suppose part of it is because the subject comes a bit more naturally for me compared to the other AP courses.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
心裡學

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me