Snakes

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Snakes

Postby Circean » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:57 pm

Hello everybody!~
I am new here, but just wanted to talk about my girlie.
I have a young red tailed boa, she is probably around 4-5 months old (maybe 1.5 feet longish) and suuuuper sweet!
She has tried striking at me before, but that is kind of a boa's temperament when they are in a touchy mood (shedding/eating/still digesting). She has bitten one of my friends before, although she was about to shed (her eyes were blue and fogged out) so i figured that is was because she was scared and he grabbed her a little too quickly and aggressively. When she isn't shedding\eating she is an absolute angel.
ImageImageImage

ImageImage

~ƇӇЄЄƦƧ ԼƠƔЄ!~
Circean

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Tornado~ » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:39 am

aww she sounds awesome!
Sorry I've been super busy!

Hi I'm Tornado, I like animals, drawing, and The Elder Scrolls. Ive been on this site for years and am pretty friendly so im always up to chat!

Selina ref guide
Red Meat Enthusiest
Don't do Skooma kids
Kids these days
Angel on earth
Note: Finish Cp's request At with PD

~Tornado~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tooweirdtolive » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:25 pm

I am writing a snake book, where i list down statistics about snakes, and i am needing some help. pm me for more info
Used to be Tokyo Lights

ImageImage

My cat ran away today. Still don't know if he will come back
*edit* He's back!!!!
Tooweirdtolive

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CanineHaywire » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:50 pm

I live in a desert and see kings and rattlesnakes a lot. I myself have owned snakes and lizards of all kinds. However, due to space, I just have my two beardeds and a ball python. My Snicker Noodle does great in this weather (his tank keeps his temps at a steady 84 with 50% humidity). I also like him because he is just there. I don't need to worry about handling him as you would with an iguana. He eats his f/t medium rats every two weeks and can differentiate between tongs and hands. He's about 3ft now and he's just a gem, I love him. I plan on getting a rack with my taxes to buy a couple more bp's. Pic attached is of him when he was 6-7 months old.

CanineHaywire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blumenkranz » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:17 pm

Oh he’s beautiful!! I want a ball python so badly but currently don’t have the room for one ;_;
wip
Blumenkranz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Tornado~ » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Ah he's so cute!

Hi I'm Tornado, I like animals, drawing, and The Elder Scrolls. Ive been on this site for years and am pretty friendly so im always up to chat!

Selina ref guide
Red Meat Enthusiest
Don't do Skooma kids
Kids these days
Angel on earth

~Tornado~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jones. » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:05 am

Hi guys! So I've decided to take the plunge and buy my first ever snake! I've always wanted one but never really had the guts to commit but now is a perfect time for me. I've spoke to a few people and done some research and a corn snake was recommended to me, which is the breed I wanted anyway. I just wanted to know if you had any tips for a beginner? I've owned lizards before but they're obviously not the same thing.
Jones.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Tornado~ » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:21 am

First of all a corn snake is a perfect choice
I'm actually going to copy paste some tips I was giving someone earlier and edit and go off them

My tips are
Don't feed it too often once a week is good if you're feeding it the right size I'm sure you've been told it's feeding schedule

Glass cages aren't always the best, they release a lot of heat so you have to be careful my milk snake is in a glass terrarium and her heat and humidity escapes a lot compared to my ball pythons' plastic cages

Make sure the humidity is high enough especially when the snake is in shed! Because we've had some stuck shed with our milkie and had to remove it be hand because it was to dry for her to shed properly
We try to keep her humidity between 40-60% all the time now I'd look up Corn snake humidity they're probably very similar

Give the snake a few days without handling it when you first get it, I've heard as low as 3 days and up to a week

Feed with tongs they're docile snakes but you don't want to get accidentally bit when feeding

Make sure it has atleast one hide!

If you're getting it from any old pet store check for mites and respiratory issues It should be fine, but you never know with big pet stores, if you're getting it from a trusted store or breeder you should be good to go

Random fact, when you're holding them if they get up to your body temperature it can be really hard to feel them and they might slither off of you so keep track of them if you're holding it! I've had my milk snake Azula slide off and hide in the couch because I didn't feel her crawl out of my shirt

Feeding in cage vs out of cage doesn't actually matter, a lot of people including me thought it did but apparently it doesn't effect the temperament of the snake and it's actually less stressful to eat in their cage

I'm guessing you a lot of these things since you've owned lizards but good luck with your first snake!

Selina ref guide
Red Meat Enthusiest
Don't do Skooma kids
Kids these days
Angel on earth

~Tornado~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jones. » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:09 pm

Thank you! I haven't actually bought the snake yet as I wanted to be sure I know how to look after it correctly, I've had a look around at some places and at the equipment it needs. I found a hatchling corn snake starter kit which seems to have the basics, I'll obviously buy another hide for it so it has one in the heat and one in the cold as well as some branches for it to climb on. I held a couple snakes and I'm aware I need their eating and shedding record. I've also looked at how to identify mites and respiratory problems and none of the snakes I looked at appeared to have any. The advice given as helped a lot so thank you. Im a little confused about the humidity, how would I maintain the perfect one? Especially as it is supposed to help with shedding.

I've also read multiple things about feeding it outside the vivarium so to remove the chance of the snake ingesting substrate, is this necessary?

Are there also any tips you can give me on how to be sure my snake wont escape? My roommate is terrified of them and I dont really want a snake travelling around the house, for its health and mine.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be the best snake owner I can be haha
Jones.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Tornado~ » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Oh yeah logs are really good we have them too

The substrate thing is true so you can feed outside snakes like Corn and Milk snakes don't usually mind and I've done it before and she did fine both ways. But yeah sometimes they do get a bit of bedding in their mouths
For humidity we've found that damp rags work the best for the glass tanks you put them over the top, making sure they don't drip and they work really well, they're a bit to effective for the in the plastic pythons so I just put an extra water dish, spraying sometimes works for me but not as much and it barely does anything in the glass terrarium, I've also heard there is really good reptile humidity spray but I myself have never used it

As for not escaping, depending on the size of the snake you might have to do more, I'd just put heavy things on the lid of the enclosure so it cant open it

Selina ref guide
Red Meat Enthusiest
Don't do Skooma kids
Kids these days
Angel on earth

~Tornado~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes