Snakes

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Snakes

Postby *MamaBear* » Sun May 05, 2019 12:20 pm

winter & fireflii wrote:A red heat lamp is the same thing as a normal one if it still gives off light. They can see color, and they can still see light. I know I said some of this earlier, but now that I've seen your enclosure, just going to go over the basics of what could be changed: would look into replacing your heat lamp with a ceramic heat emitter. I would also switch the aspen with something that holds moisture better (like reptichip), and for the lid issue, you can cover the top (except where the heater will be) with aluminum foil. Another hide on the other side (so she can choose between warm and cool side) and some vines or something wouldn't go a miss either. :) Open space can stress ball pythons out into not eating.
-fireflii

Thanks so much for the advice!! Luckily I don't have a problem with her eating. She eats 2 medium rats every 2 weeks and she let's me know when it's getting close to time to eat lol she doesn't get aggressive, just stays out of her hide a lot! I'm gonna change out the bedding to something better within the next week and get her a new hide. I had been planning on a second hide but there wasn't big enough ones last time I went to the pet store. Hopefully I can find one or make her something nice.
*MamaBear*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ArcticWaterDrake » Sun May 05, 2019 11:46 pm

Once, I was hiking with some friends, and right as one of them were stepping, I noticed a worm snake below their foot. I yelled "STOP!" and they did, and I picked up the smol bean snek and put him down somewhere else ^^ I also saw a fairly large black rat snake that day. I really want a pet snake, but my cat would eat it :(
====Maria
=
=
=
=
=

Just remember, you are loved! <3
╔═════════════════════════════════════╗
Manga reader - Artist - Fanfiction Reader
Jpop - Modern rock - Sewing - Private Pilot

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Let's Trade!Support your local pet shelter! TH
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
notes:
She/her
Trade me cats and giraffes please!
English + Spanish (non-native)

╚═════════════════════════════════════╝
I'm feeling lucky

ArcticWaterDrake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Tornado~ » Wed May 15, 2019 1:15 pm

I don't really use CS for snake stuff I'm more on discord and facebook and stuff (I'm a moderator on the goherping discord go check it out!) But I want to share some pictures of my snakes, since it's been awhile since I've posted here
Bug
Bumble
Aurora
Minerva
Azula
Atticus
Claudia
Her older half sister Persephone
Eleanor
Nina
Pepper
Horace
Vera
Gilan
and Roku!
Birds, Reptiles, and The Elder Scrolls, and my drawing tablet, basically are all I need in life.

Hi I'm Tornado, I like animals, drawing, and The Elder Scrolls. Ive been on this site for years and am pretty friendly so im always up to chat!

Selina ref guide
Best thing since sliced cheese.
Don't do Skooma kids
Kids these days
Angel on earth
Note: Finish Cp's request At with PD

~Tornado~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby *MamaBear* » Wed May 22, 2019 4:09 pm

~Tornado~
You're snakes are beautiful!! 😍 How long have you owned snakes for?
*MamaBear*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Tornado~ » Thu May 23, 2019 2:34 pm

*MamaBear* wrote:~Tornado~
You're snakes are beautiful!! 😍 How long have you owned snakes for?

not that long oof I'm bad we got Azula our first snake in September of 2017. But I've soaked up a insane amount of knowledge in the short amount of time and continue to learn every day

vist wrote:
      oh gosh , tornado , your snakes are absolutely
      stunning ?? ;0;

i absolutely adore all your photos , too , the
      flowers are really lovely as well ,, ;w;

Thank you!
Birds, Reptiles, and The Elder Scrolls, and my drawing tablet, basically are all I need in life.

Hi I'm Tornado, I like animals, drawing, and The Elder Scrolls. Ive been on this site for years and am pretty friendly so im always up to chat!

Selina ref guide
Best thing since sliced cheese.
Don't do Skooma kids
Kids these days
Angel on earth
Note: Finish Cp's request At with PD

~Tornado~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Sat May 25, 2019 3:20 am

I'm hoping to get a snake within the next year, but I'm tossing between a ball python and a corn snake. Thoughts on what would be best? I've done a decent amount of research, and have been watching snake care videos for years, and I'm pretty set on those two types. Just wanted to hear what experienced Owners think.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Sat May 25, 2019 4:04 am

Gamora. wrote:
      I'm hoping to get a snake within the next year, but I'm tossing between a ball python and a corn snake. Thoughts on what would be best? I've done a decent amount of research, and have been watching snake care videos for years, and I'm pretty set on those two types. Just wanted to hear what experienced Owners think.

Corns are technically easier and more beginner friendly. If you aren't drawn to one either way I'd go with a corn, since chances are they'll be less likely to stress you out with a hunger strike and (depending on your climate and setup)their humidity requirements are likely easier to meet as well.

If you really prefer a ball python over a corn snake though, I'd say go for it. They aren't that much harder to keep most of the time.

I've had Buttercup since 2012 .
Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby miss_skye » Sun May 26, 2019 1:18 am

Gamora. wrote:

Definitely handle both before making a decision- maybe you can find a reptile exo near you. Corn snakes are thinner and move faster. Ball pythons are thicker and move slower. Both make excellent choices and are less likely to bite than other species. Whichever one you decide on do LOTS of research and have your enclosure 100% set up before bringing your new snake home. Be sure to buy from a reputable breeder instead of a pet shop.

Keep in mind that all heat sources (especially under tank heaters aka UTH) MUST be regulated with a thermoSTAT (not to be confused with a thermoMETER). Unregulated heat sources can cause some pretty horrific burns.

Corn Snake care sheet:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthr ... ta-guttata)

Ball Python care sheet:
https://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthr ... hon-regius)-Caresheet

I've had my ball python Winry for over 2 years and she has never bitten anyone and is very chill. Snakes make great pets as long as you are well prepared ahead of time :)
miss_skye

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Mon May 27, 2019 2:26 am

@Taiger Lilly - Thank you for the advice and input, I appreciate it and will keep that in mind when coming to a decision. It likely won't be anytime soon, but I'm hoping within the next year I'll be able to get one.

@miss_skye - Thank you for your input!! I have friends that own ball pythons and they told me pretty much the same thing. Corn snakes are slightly easier care wise, but more difficult to hold. I'm just tiptoeing between the two options unsure of where to go! I definitely plan to do a ton more research, but I've already have leopard gecko care knowledge under my belt as I looked after six of them for someone when they went away for five weeks, so I'm super aware of the importance of a thermostat!

And yes, I'd buy from a reputable breeder. There are great ones in my area, plus my friends have some good connections!

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby miss_skye » Mon May 27, 2019 2:51 am

Gamora. wrote:
      @Taiger Lilly - Thank you for the advice and input, I appreciate it and will keep that in mind when coming to a decision. It likely won't be anytime soon, but I'm hoping within the next year I'll be able to get one.

@miss_skye - Thank you for your input!! I have friends that own ball pythons and they told me pretty much the same thing. Corn snakes are slightly easier care wise, but more difficult to hold. I'm just tiptoeing between the two options unsure of where to go! I definitely plan to do a ton more research, but I've already have leopard gecko care knowledge under my belt as I looked after six of them for someone when they went away for five weeks, so I'm super aware of the importance of a thermostat!

And yes, I'd buy from a reputable breeder. There are great ones in my area, plus my friends have some good connections!

I think getting a chance to hold a ball python and a corn snake might give a good idea on which you would prefer :) After holding a BCI I know that is probably going to be my next species eventually. Oh and feel free to ask if you have any questions~
miss_skye

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me