The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread! V2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What type of rodents do you have?

Rats
27%
Hamsters
17%
Gerbils
5%
Mice
11%
Guinea Pigs
15%
Chinchillas
2%
Degus
1%
None :(
15%
None, but getting some soon!
7%

Total votes : 338

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread! V2

Postby eff » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:14 am

not a rodent, but i'm looking for cages for a hedgehog and know
        that a lot of people here like to use IKEA detolfs for hamster cages.
        same concept with hedgehogs, they aren't the best climbers but
        need about 4 square foot of space.

was just wondering if there was any other display cabinet-type
        cages that could be used for something like this as the IKEA detolf
        has an open roof kinda thing, but i need a way to insulate the cage.
        i know i can make a DIY roof that will keep the heat in, but was just
        wondering if there was anything easier.

i've seen some people use the IKEA linnmon for a cage, which is
        another option im looking at.
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lord Apollo » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:59 am

I'm getting my first hamster really soon.
I'm going to make a bin cage because I'm not pleased with any of the cages I've seen at my local pet shop.

Any advice?
Any tips? I've done loads of research on bin cages and what I'll need for my new friend, but I think it's always nice to hear tips from other hamster owners.
Lord Apollo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BunnyBeam » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:20 am

Oh, I did not know about this topic. Omg.

Username: BunnyBeam
      Favorite type of rodent: Rats!
      Tell us about your pets: I have 6 rats at this moment. 4 boys and 2 girls.
      I started in 2018 with 2 boys, Benji and Rico. Sadly enough, Rico passed away in May 2020. Benji would be alone, so I got him 2 friends. Mozart and Fidelio. After about 6 months I wanted 2 more friends for them, bc I have a double crotternation and my boys are incredibly lazy. :')
      So I went to drive an hour for 2 other rats. Once there, I found out those were girls. But they weren't treated right there, so I took em anyways. Got their cage aswell, so that's fine. These are Remi and Abby. (Abby has been renamed by me, since their previous owners thought they were boys, so they were called Remi and Emiel, so obviously I renamed Emiel to Abby)
      And then a month later I found an advertisement of a lonely rat who was depressed and pretty much bald. I got him, his name is Harrie. When I first held him, he was super scared, bald and very thin. I fed him lots of food, gave him lots of love and so far he seems to be growing back his fur and he has gained lots of weight. I have no idea how old he really is, they said around 3 years, but he is really small and idk. Soon he'll be introduced to my other 3 boys and I hope that they'll be one happy rat family.
      Other:
Bunny - adult - art - 24/7 tired
ToyHouse

BunnyBeam

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lord Apollo » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:30 am

Oops! Forgot about this!

Username: Ava The Vampire
      Favorite type of rodent: Syrian hamster
      Tell us about your pets: I used to own a bunny, who passed away a few years ago. Before that, I owned a chicken. I am going to own a hamster really soon and I have been doing loads of research on how to care for a hamster. I'm very excited.
      Other:
My favorite animal is rabbit.
Lord Apollo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hearth » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:20 am

Username: Hearth
Favorite type of rodent: Probably hamsters, though I'm fond of all of them!!
Tell us about your pets: Currently I have a dog, Shiloh, who adores all other animals so I would love to get her a friend. But I also just adopted a hamster named Parsnip who I'm mildly obsessed with. He is incredibly timid and sweet. He started out as a pandemic project because I was bored and love owning small animals, so I spent a lot of time researching how to make a tank into a nice little hamster home. It was a lot of fun and now I get to enjoy watching him!
Other: Over the years I've owned lots of small animals, in order: An English Lop named Grayc, 5 hamsters (starting with an unintentional pregnant mama and her babies): Mykah, Pip, TsuJanou, Stella, and Cato, two frogs: Spick and Span, two guinea pigs: Tobi and Rosi, and briefly a squirrel named Chance who we rehabilitated. Mykah and her babies (Djungarians) were angels who I frequently carried around the house in my shirt pocket, and Stella (also a Djungarian) was very social as well. Cato was an accidental Winter White (I didn't realize she wasn't the same breed at the time) and was straight up evil. They all hold a space in my heart though!

Edit: I'm always down to answer questions or discuss experiences with different pets!! Message me if you're interested (:
xxImage
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
xxxxxx • Musician • Lover of Coffee •
xxxxxxxx • Perpetually Indignant •

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
xxxxxxcoding credit
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██████████████████████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hearth

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby XxanimewolfgirluwuxX » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:28 am

Username: Pleuriglosse
      Favorite type of rodent: Rats
      Tell us about your pets: I've owned three rats in the past, but I just recently got some new rat babies! They're shy right now, but I'm working on socializing with them (still trying to find a treat that they love). My rats are named Bill and Ted, and my sister's rats are Falkor and Artax. Bill is a top ear rat, I'm still not sure what his patterns are, but he has a blue cap with a blaze and a few little blue spots on his back. His brother, Ted, is a dark grey dumbo rat with a little white spot on his forehead. He's also got a white belly that goes under his chin as well and looks like a little mustache- they're so adorable. My sister's rats are a light brownish grey hooded and a blaze.
      Other: My old rats were Ghost and Xerxes, both really incredible rats. My sister's rat was Cricket, and he was amazing too. I got them as feeder rats from a reptile store (it's a mom and pop shop I really love and can vouch for, despite the selling of live feeders which I'm pretty against, so that's how I justified buying them). I got extremely lucky with them, they were very social and trusting of people almost right away, and they lived to be very old as well (especially for feeders).
~THROW ME TO THE WOLVES AND I'LL RETURN LEADING THE PACK~

XxanimewolfgirluwuxX

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lord Apollo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:16 pm

Has anyone here ever adopted a hamster before?
I'm adopting one from my local shelter and I'm surprised at how much information they don't really know about him. Apparently, he is a stray and they don't know his age or anything about him, really.
I'm very excited but very nervous at the same time. I'm worried that he is much older than I'd like him to be and he won't live very long... But the shelter says he's doing well and looks to be very healthy.

I wanted to give a homeless hamster a home, so I am very excited to do so,
But I just wish I had more information on the little guy.
Lord Apollo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Romba » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:49 am

Hello!

Im getting rats! ! I'm so excited! My plan is to get at least a male and a female but I might do one extra :) any males are getting neutered of course. I have done a lot of research and I have a nice cage picked out (and many many toys and hides), its called the Midwest Deluxe Critter Nation single level.

How may rats can that comfortably accommodate? And will my female rat be ok when I take the male to get neutered or should they both visit the vet together?
Romba

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby god » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:08 am

Romba wrote:Hello!

Im getting rats! ! I'm so excited! My plan is to get at least a male and a female but I might do one extra :) any males are getting neutered of course. I have done a lot of research and I have a nice cage picked out (and many many toys and hides), its called the Midwest Deluxe Critter Nation single level.

How may rats can that comfortably accommodate? And will my female rat be ok when I take the male to get neutered or should they both visit the vet together?

I have that exact cage for my two girls and can safely say that it's more than enough room for 2 rats. Looking at it now, it's probably large enough to house up to 5 rats??
There's enough open space to add another DYI deck (from cardboard perhaps) and some hammocks which should keep your ratties entertained.

As for keeping a female and neutered male together, just make sure you keep them separated for over a month after the male has been neutered. They would still try to mate during that time, and pregnancy is a possibility for several weeks after neutering.

god

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Romba » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:47 am

god wrote:
Romba wrote:Hello!

I have that exact cage for my two girls and can safely say that it's more than enough room for 2 rats. Looking at it now, it's probably large enough to house up to 5 rats??
There's enough open space to add another DYI deck (from cardboard perhaps) and some hammocks which should keep your ratties entertained.

As for keeping a female and neutered male together, just make sure you keep them separated for over a month after the male has been neutered. They would still try to mate during that time, and pregnancy is a possibility for several weeks after neutering.

Sure! Thank you so much :) my plan is to try and neuter him before he's sexually matured so maybe I won't need to worry so much about keeping them apart, but I'll for sure talk to my vet too to make sure. Thanks for your response! I really appreciate it :)
Romba

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me