training talk || v.2 open

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: training talk || v.2 open

Postby cornspurrd. » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:05 am

Heyy! Dog agility peeps, my dog deacon has got the weaves down, But hes slow. Is there any way I could speed him up?
dont state the obvious enthusiasm or treats, Tried that.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mycorrhizae » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Keighan. wrote:Heyy! Dog agility peeps, my dog deacon has got the weaves down, But hes slow. Is there any way I could speed him up?

How long has he been doing weaves? I know my dog would sometimes take a new trick slow for a while and once she was more familiar, then she'd go faster.
hi i like birds
Mycorrhizae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:04 am

Mycorrhizae wrote:
Keighan. wrote:Heyy! Dog agility peeps, my dog deacon has got the weaves down, But hes slow. Is there any way I could speed him up?

How long has he been doing weaves? I know my dog would sometimes take a new trick slow for a while and once she was more familiar, then she'd go faster.

2 months now, He's had it mastered for 1 month
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:38 am

@Mycorrhizae
I've never heard of a trained toad, so that sounds pretty neat. Hope all goes well with that!

@Keighan.
For dog agility; I was thinking about doing that with Stella for fun to keep her playing. She loves to run around but she isn't the best listener. Would dog agility help with her attention and training in general? I think she could be really good at it if I kept it up. I set up a makeshift one for her before and she loved it.
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 π–™π–—π–Šπ–†π–˜π–šπ–—π–Š"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"π–Žπ–˜ π–˜π–Žπ–‘π–›π–Šπ–— 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–Œπ–”π–‘π–‰."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:46 am

Astro,. wrote:@Mycorrhizae
I've never heard of a trained toad, so that sounds pretty neat. Hope all goes well with that!

@Keighan.
For dog agility; I was thinking about doing that with Stella for fun to keep her playing. She loves to run around but she isn't the best listener. Would dog agility help with her attention and training in general? I think she could be really good at it if I kept it up. I set up a makeshift one for her before and she loved it.

Yes! Its also great for building a better bond and confidence! My dog turned from a shy, Nervous dog, to a really confident and trusting dog with A little bit of training, And agility! Plus is great for their minds, And it keeps them in good shape,,
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:23 am

Keighan. wrote:
Astro,. wrote:-snip-

[size=79]Alright! Maybe I'll try with Marty. He needs to get off his butt, and he would definitely benefit from it. I'll talk to my Grandparents about it, maybe we can build them a course.
adult

Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:25 am

Pvc pipes are really cheap from hardware stores, Get a couple 10 ft poles and some T's and you're good to go.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:25 am

Keighan. wrote:Pvc pipes are really cheap from hardware stores, Get a couple 10 ft poles and some T's and you're good to go.

that's what I was thinking of. We have some too.

What should I start off with first and any tips?
adult

Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:30 am

Astro,. wrote:
Keighan. wrote:Pvc pipes are really cheap from hardware stores, Get a couple 10 ft poles and some T's and you're good to go.

that's what I was thinking of. We have some too.

What should I start off with first and any tips?

We can carry this chat out in pm's so we don't clog up this thread if thats cool?
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby caf. » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:54 pm

sorry i've been out, everyone! i've been meaning to type up a post, but i've honestly been getting home late and going straight back to bed lmao. welcome to all of the recent joinees, hope you're enjoying the discussion so far!

@Rainbowhorse77 - welcome! what you do with your goats sounds amazing, they're such funny creatures. i've never worked with them personally, but all of my FFA friends love them. that's really neat, all that you've trained your horse to do! i've been meaning to do more trick training with my horse - he can bow and works pretty well at liberty, but i haven't done much else with him. i actually really want to teach him to neck rein (i'd really like him to be confident in both saddles, both for my own fun and in case i ever do need to market him), but i don't really know how myself lol. maybe while i'm off at school i could find a western trainer to give me a few lessons? i started out western, but only very briefly; as soon as i could i jumped ship and moved to english lol. sorry, i'm rambling, aha.

@Astro., - i completely understand what you're saying about Marty; one of my dogs is a sweetheart, bless him, but he really isn't very smart at all when it comes down to it. makes training a bit harder for sure, but as you said, hand gestures and more visual cues certainly help. doing agility with them sounds like a great idea, too!

@Mycorrhizae - training of non-mammals has fascinated me ever since i first heard about it. on my last visit to the zoo, actually, they had this alligator who was trained to "smile", come up on a platform for husbandry tasks (she was albino, so they needed to wash her daily to protect her skin), and follow a target. it fascinated me, since i've never seen a reptile trained in such a manner. if you have any insights, i'd love to hear them!

@Keighan. - welcome! i don't have any insights on the weaves, unfortunately, but i wish you the best of luck!

as for my own stuff, i spent about an hour tonight teaching both of my dogs silly stuff, since i wanted to work on my clicker timing a bit and give them something fun to do. i learned that both my dogs are super touchy about some part of their bodies, moreso than i'd thought - my sheltie about his paws and my pyrenees mix about his haunches. this made teaching them to shake and roll over, respectively, a bit of a challenge, lol. by the end of it, my sheltie was picking up his paw when i touched it and letting me hang on to it, and i got the big dog to let me push him over once and to at least roll onto his side reliably. i think i can get the sheltie picking up his paw pretty quickly here, but i'm not totally sure how to handle the pyrenees. i'm thinking of perhaps asking him to roll onto his side, scooting behind him, and then trying to lure him over from behind instead of from the front like i've been doing? i'll experiment with it a little more tomorrow, lol.

also really glad my horse show got cancelled this weekend - i haven't schooled cross-country in a month, and i don't think either myself or my horse was quite ready. plus, the weather was just going to be horrible. this weekend is probably going to be spent schooling a little more and working on fitness - if it dries up, i'd really like to go galloping on the track again, because i feel that we could both use the stamina buildup (and the horse could use a trail ride - he's been spooky lately). gah, i really do need to ride more this month!
caf - they/them - bi
equestrian - vocalist - student

mostly i hang around here for
RVEC nowadays, though i
roleplay on occasion. chat
with me about horses, music,
math, science, or...anything!
caf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery