Dinosaur Enthusiasts - Dinosaur/Jurassic Chat

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dinosaur Enthusiasts - Dinosaur/Jurassic Chat

Postby Tyrannidae » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:03 am

Username: Xenephos
      Favorite Dinosaur: All Dromaeosaurs, but Dakotaraptor is my favorite. Also, Therizinosaurs are a pretty neat group.
      When did your interest in dinosaurs start: From birth, basically. I'm a huge Paleo nerd & almost went into a Paleontology major program.
      Other:"Keep discussion in the Triassic & Jurassic period." Are we not allowed to talk about the Cretaceous period? That's the one when "everyone's" favorite dinosaurs popped up lol (Think Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, etc.). I'm also a feather-bandit so I draw feathers on everything for fun.

Image Image Image
---
Devouring the world...
One fly at a time.
---
Image Image Image
Tyrannidae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:24 am

Xenephos wrote:
      Favorite Dinosaur: All Dromaeosaurs, but Dakotaraptor is my favorite. Also, Therizinosaurs are a pretty neat group.
      When did your interest in dinosaurs start: From birth, basically. I'm a huge Paleo nerd & almost went into a Paleontology major program.
      Other:"Keep discussion in the Triassic & Jurassic period." Are we not allowed to talk about the Cretaceous period? That's the one when "everyone's" favorite dinosaurs popped up lol (Think Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, etc.). I'm also a feather-bandit so I draw feathers on everything for fun.

The rules just really mean don't discuss anything before the dinosaurs appeared or after they disappeared. Suppose the rules could be changed to "only discuss the Mesozoic era" for clarification, but not everyone really knows the name of the dinosaur era. But yes, discussing cretaceous period if fine! Welcome to the chat!

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ethium » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:45 am

Gamora. wrote:
Xenephos wrote:

The rules just really mean don't discuss anything before the dinosaurs appeared or after they disappeared. Suppose the rules could be changed to "only discuss the Mesozoic era" for clarification, but not everyone really knows the name of the dinosaur era. But yes, discussing cretaceous period if fine! Welcome to the chat!

yep thanks! rules have been modified.
i too am a bit of a feather bandit lol.
i would also like to thank everyone for their cooperation
with answering the short poll at the top of the page. though
it may have appeared unnecessary it helped a ton.
FEEL THE FEAR, AND DO IT ANYWAY
sam - she/her - i write things sometimes
i'm into mythology, literature, & legos ──
───── stars - carrd - th - disc -> ethiium
ethium

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby abandondacc » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:23 am

Username:Zonbitaigā
      Favorite Dinosaur: Spinosaurus
      When did your interest in dinosaurs start: When I was very little I was introduced to them by my cousin and ever since I’ve been obsessed with them. Their my favorite subject to talk about besides drawing and Animals
      Other:I’m a sucker for weird and unusual Dinos. Carnivores are my fav uwu
FR:ZombieTigerLife doesn’t come with instructions socially awkward Image mess-Christian -crazy animal lover-Libra-Sheep-high anxietyThe dream is to keep surprising yourself, never mind the audience. -Tom HiddlestonBest friend on cs I wont be online very often since im super busy. Rip me I’m on mobile most of the time
abandondacc

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ethium » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:00 am

Zonbitaigā wrote:
      Username:Zonbitaigā
      Favorite Dinosaur: Spinosaurus
      When did your interest in dinosaurs start: When I was very little I was introduced to them by my cousin and ever since I’ve been obsessed with them. Their my favorite subject to talk about besides drawing and Animals
      Other:I’m a sucker for weird and unusual Dinos. Carnivores are my fav uwu

ah hello and welcome! prompts to answer are here if you want to pop into the discussion:

ethium wrote:
now i have a question for everyone, just to kinda start another discussion.
why and how did you pick your favorite dinosaur? Is it their supposed appearance? The name?

or an alternative to the question above,
do you think the modern world would be able to handle dinosaurs? or would this turn into a jurassic park style event?
(specifically with our modern technology, if we were to create them would we be able to control/ handle them?
what might they be used for? )

feel free to answer one, or both! thanks everyone <33

well since i've realized i haven't answered either of the prompts yet. here are my answers to them!

Dilophosaurs as i've said, has always been my favorite dinosaur. personally i am a huge fan of their crest which has been noted as similar to a cassowary's. This carnivore was the first dinosaur i was ever really fascinated with. It was also the first one i was introduced to, as i was given a model of it for my birthday one year. Slowly my interest in them piqued when i saw the inaccurate yet exciting version of dilo's in jurassic park. Regardless they're a favorite for many and will remain mine.

Hadrosaurs are also another one of my favorites. Specifically because they're the dinosaurian equivalent of the modern day cow. also called "duck-billed" dinosaurs. These herbivores have caught my interests, specifically when it comes to their defense against predators. There is no obvious way (that i know of) for hadrosaurs to have defended themselves other than their numbers and speed. Though hadrosaurs branch out to ranges with crests to without, i personally favor the hadrosaurs with crests (what surprise i guess i have a thing for that) as opposed to those without. With the immediately recognizable Parasaurolophus being my all time favorite Hadrosaur.

as for the second question

dinosaurs, in my opinion do not belong in civilization. Even if they were created, we definitely wouldn't be able to sustain them. We'd basically be bringing them back only to die once again, it'd be an experimental process. And though i realize it would be cool and entertaining, along with a learning experience. These creatures lived when they did, if they weren't supposed to die off then they wouldn't have died off how they did. Creatures are known for their ways of survival through hardships and fertile times. I also believe it would be far too dangerous. We literally have the jurassic park trilogy and the JW trilogy in the makes to explain why this wouldn't work. (in a fictional, thriller adventure sort of way, it just goes to show that humans shouldn't meddle in things we don't understand) besides those facts, dinosaurs were built for their own time, not ours. their climate was different, their plants were different, the wildlife and prey/predator chain was different. They just don't belong, they can't belong in the civilization we have built. If they did belong then they would be here, and in a way they are. Look at modern birds and reptiles for examples. (Birds are the more primary examples but still you get the idea) Not to mention introducing dinosaurs could bring up a great many issues, if we introduce them to the wild we'd deal with livestock damages, property damage, for all we know they could be an invasive species and there goes all our natural wildlife. Poaching might be another issue, because then we want people wanting them as pets. Lawyers the whole thing. We also wouldn't be at the top of the food chain anymore, dinosaurs wouldn't know how to avoid us they'd just go stomping through our cities. We'd need to adjust our way of life to accommodate dinosaurs. it's just a whole lot of factors and variables and dinosaurs are really just an unnecessary addition.

sorry kinda went off on a tangent there but you somewhat get the idea i suppose.
FEEL THE FEAR, AND DO IT ANYWAY
sam - she/her - i write things sometimes
i'm into mythology, literature, & legos ──
───── stars - carrd - th - disc -> ethiium
ethium

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby librarycat » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:32 am

aside from dinosaurs I really love ammonites - they were the first fossils i actually had and i just have such a special place in my heart for them.
he/him or mew/meow pronouns; autistic
I'm always happy to trade or talk about stuff with people :) I can't read the small text well, so if you PM me, please use normal or larger sizes.
librarycat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby RMS Titanic » Sat May 25, 2019 10:49 am

Username: tulips4me
      Favorite Dinosaur: edmontosaurus and/or carnotaurus
      When did your interest in dinosaurs start: Since I was a child!
      Other: i love dinos, but im in no way an expert on them... i'll try my best to seem well educated for yall lmao c:
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.

RMS Titanic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby abandondacc » Sat May 25, 2019 10:51 am

What’s your guys least favorite dinosaur?
FR:ZombieTigerLife doesn’t come with instructions socially awkward Image mess-Christian -crazy animal lover-Libra-Sheep-high anxietyThe dream is to keep surprising yourself, never mind the audience. -Tom HiddlestonBest friend on cs I wont be online very often since im super busy. Rip me I’m on mobile most of the time
abandondacc

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MozarteanChaos » Sat May 25, 2019 11:03 am

Zonbitaigā wrote:What’s your guys least favorite dinosaur?

honestly, not sure if we have one! if we hadto choose, probably tyrannosaurus rex, since it's become kinda... overpopularized? for lack of a better word??
but that's not entirely accurate, honestly - we still love it, we just don't like how it's one of four or so dinosaurs that average people actually know/care about, and probably the most popular of those four
MozarteanChaos

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby librarycat » Sat May 25, 2019 10:25 pm

canadian goose
he/him or mew/meow pronouns; autistic
I'm always happy to trade or talk about stuff with people :) I can't read the small text well, so if you PM me, please use normal or larger sizes.
librarycat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me