The Rat Thread

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: The Rat Thread

Postby eff » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:04 am

Is your male with both females? If so, you could be looking at 24 pups in less than a month! And then you'd want to neuter him asap. But I am not giving breeding advice or anything of the sort, or at least not being asked to help. Fighting is common with rats - as long as there is no blood, which you already clarified, then it's about dominance. I'd suggest just keeping an eye on making sure there are no signs of blood or serious damage as you may have to part the rats.
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby darkwater » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:01 am

Yup we have a weaning and nursing cages amount wise for the pups doesn't matter might seem morbid but we got them as pets and most of the offspring is for our snakes to save money so the more the marrier. We will control pup outflow though via seperating who we do not want to reproduce.

That being said we love our rats and they are very well maintained. The stinkers just aren't reproducing could the female be overbearing or is our male sterile? Just do not know that issue.

Thank you for the feed back we take Robin out (the younger of the females) and check her daily. Glad to hear tustling and loud squeeking is normal though :) definitely keeping an eye out.
Love LGBTQ+ or Rainbow themes click the dog below link is another safe webpage :D

darkwater

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby seragnn44 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:41 am

hyde wrote:Is your male with both females? If so, you could be looking at 24 pups in less than a month! And then you'd want to CCleaner Happy Wheels VLCneuter him asap. But I am not giving breeding advice or anything of the sort, or at least not being asked to help. Fighting is common with rats - as long as there is no blood, which you already clarified, then it's about dominance. I'd suggest just keeping an eye on making sure there are no signs of blood or serious damage as you may have to part the rats.

plan on getting females or young rats in the future i do not recommend it.[
seragnn44

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby darkwater » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:28 am

Just checking back in.

One of our females delivered a healthy litter of 11 pups all are happy and healthy. It's really exciting though and it was a shock to say the least. We took her or of the large enclosure about 4 days prior because I was noticing she was getting bigger each day. Sure enough it was the best move we took her out and let her roam plus gave her a ton of attention since they are very social. Next we had the smaller cage by the larger cage and even put a ferret bed in the smaller enclosure so she would have a second level. She is super happy^^ we look forward to seeing them grow and thrive right now they are in a nursing pen which though small it fits her needs perfectly and she still has space to move around :).

Can't wait to see them all grow though I tibia they will all be black hooded rats since that's what mom and dad is.. ^^ time will tell though currently just stoked about it.
Love LGBTQ+ or Rainbow themes click the dog below link is another safe webpage :D

darkwater

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:45 am

darkwater wrote:Just checking back in.

One of our females delivered a healthy litter of 11 pups all are happy and healthy. It's really exciting though and it was a shock to say the least. We took her or of the large enclosure about 4 days prior because I was noticing she was getting bigger each day. Sure enough it was the best move we took her out and let her roam plus gave her a ton of attention since they are very social. Next we had the smaller cage by the larger cage and even put a ferret bed in the smaller enclosure so she would have a second level. She is super happy^^ we look forward to seeing them grow and thrive right now they are in a nursing pen which though small it fits her needs perfectly and she still has space to move around :).

Can't wait to see them all grow though I tibia they will all be black hooded rats since that's what mom and dad is.. ^^ time will tell though currently just stoked about it.

thats great, eleven health rat pups! i forgot to mention in my earlier post that perhaps you'll find more luck on the snake thread in regards to feed as i don't think many people on the rat thread/brodents thread are keen live-feeders.
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DragonReaper13 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:36 pm

How many rats do you own;; 2 Females (Willow and Domino)
What brought you to the rat thread;; I love rats
Do your rats know any tricks;; nope
Hello ^-^
DragonReaper13

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby aesop carl » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:08 pm

❧ angel dust wrote:How many rats do you own;; None but I'm going to be getting a few soon. (I also half-own my friends 4 rats lol)
What brought you to the rat thread;; I was curious to see if there was an active rat thread on CS.
Do your rats know any tricks;; n/a

im redoing my forum!

How many rats do you own;; 3 now! Cosmo, Lars, and Chaser!
What brought you to the rat thread;; I thought about this forum and thought I'd come back :)
Do your rats know any tricks;; not yet, but i'm trying to train them. it's kind of hard, though.
pax he/they/myu/kon ✦ mlm ✦ autistic ✦ 6/22

dreamies
aesop carl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stag » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:53 am

How many rats do you own;; one
What brought you to the rat thread;; i love rats
Do your rats know any tricks;; he knows a few
xxxx S T A Gx/ L U X

xxrat and bone lover •ᴗ• he/they, nblw
xxcs rat collection complete 12.26.22 ♡
xxImage Image Image
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXxx

xxx3.9.21 ♡ | pixel | vermin#7777 | ©
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXxx
stag

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby I♫dream♪in♬harmonies » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:01 pm

Hi there! I was hoping someone here might be able to offer some advice. I've had pet rats for the past 12 years or so, and I absolutely love them. I adopted two sisters (we think) about a year and a half ago--Rena and Poppy. At the time, we had two other rats as well, Carney and Jule. Sadly, Carney, Jule, and Poppy have all since passed away, Poppy just a few days ago. It was really hard. I don't think we will be able to adopt any more rats to keep Rena company, as I'm leaving for college before too long. I've never had a single rat for an extended period before, and I'm worried about her and looking for advice to keep her happy. I have a large cage with two main "stories" and two additional smaller ones. She has igloos as well as cardboard boxes and hammocks made from t-shirts that I change up regularly. I give her newspaper as bedding, and she stuffs it where she likes. I give her a treat (fresh fruit or vegetable, or Cheerios) every day in addition to her regular kibble. I'm trying to spend extra time taking her out to play, but she has never been one to run around a ton. Any tips for other items I can add to her cage or other ways to keep her engaged and happy, short of adopting another rat? Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by Agent Mulder on July 15, 1947 10:13, edited 1 time in total
Reason: I want to believe.

Quitting! Click for free stuff!
I♫dream♪in♬harmonies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pin854 » Wed May 08, 2019 3:03 am

Rat mom here, hoping someone can help me find CS rats that look like my babies
I had a girl Rose, who was rex and light caramel colored
A girl Jackie who was rex and hooded white body with roses color for the hood. And a splotch on her bottom.
I'm left with my big Chunker Gizmo but I found a few that match him already :)

(yes I know I have a single rat but he's the last one and i'm going to get a cat once my old man passes over the rainbow bridge some day <3)
pin854

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me