Overated Animals?

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Quick Vote: Most Overated Animal?

Cats
12%
Dogs
18%
Lions
7%
Wolves
35%
Bears
2%
Dolphins
7%
Foxes
9%
Deer
2%
Other
8%

Total votes : 797

Re: Overated Animals?

Postby sullivanish » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:18 pm

Mycorrhizae wrote:
ailurophile., wrote:
Mycorrhizae wrote:Owls. They're cool and all, but seriously not what most people think. And of course, no one really appreciates them for the cool stuff. Y'know. Like silent flight and amazing camouflage. It's all "they're smart" (they're not) and "they can turn their head all the way around" (they can't) and "they're so special!" (what?).

owls aren't smart compared to humans, but are one of the smartest species of birds.

Uh... no. They're really not. Corvids are one of the smartest types of birds. Others that are smarter than owls include parrots, falcons, pigeons, vultures, probably every single social bird species... Among raptors, owls are definitely the least intelligent. Looking at all birds, they're maybe in the middle or a bit lower.

I said one, they aren't as high in the rankings as corvids or crows or parrots, but for solitary birds they are pretty smart.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
xImage
x
x
x
x
x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
any pronouns

xx
androgyne

xx
sullivan

xx
adhd/autism
sullivanish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mycorrhizae » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:09 pm

gentle.wav wrote:Even though some birds may have evolutionary differences such as intelligence, I don't believe that's a reason they should be considered overrated ;v; And not only birds, but every other animal as well
These differences are what makes each animal unique, and every animal has their highs and lows.

Just 'cause they're dumb doesn't make them overrated. It's the way every treats them as the absolute coolest birds ever. An animal can be dumb and overrated or smart and overrated. To me, an "overrated" animal is one that people have the absolute wrong idea about. So with owls, it's the idea that they're really intelligent. With something like wolves, I'd say they're overrated because people have the weirdest ideas about their social structure. And their behavior in general.

ailurophile., wrote:
Mycorrhizae wrote:
ailurophile., wrote:owls aren't smart compared to humans, but are one of the smartest species of birds.

Uh... no. They're really not. Corvids are one of the smartest types of birds. Others that are smarter than owls include parrots, falcons, pigeons, vultures, probably every single social bird species... Among raptors, owls are definitely the least intelligent. Looking at all birds, they're maybe in the middle or a bit lower.

I said one, they aren't as high in the rankings as corvids or crows or parrots, but for solitary birds they are pretty smart.

They're not. Falcons, hawks, and eagles can all outsmart them. Herons, kingfishers, woodpeckers, and probably just about every solitary songbird is more intelligent. The only birds off the top of my head that I can think of that are worse in the intelligence department are emus, ostriches, and domestic turkeys.

A quick google search of "are owls smart" will probably tell you all you need to know. Although for the record, I have a degree in biology and work with owls. But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, right?
hi i like birds
Mycorrhizae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rancidram » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:22 am

Pasteli~ wrote:Wolves.

I'm in the furry community and I swear everyone's fursona is a wolf. It's so overused and uncreative. Like yeah they're cool and smart but what is the hype over them. So many people believe that wolves are their "spirit animal" and I truly do not understand it at all. They just feel wayyy too common as favorite animals and things and I've never understood why.

~Some other honorable mentions:~

Pugs. I don't really understand why they're "so cute". I feel bad for them because their face shape makes it hard for them to breathe. It's a breed that comes with so many unfortunate problems.

Llamas. They're depicted really cute in cartoons and stuff but the real life version is really ugly and weird looking in my opinion. Their teeth stick out and their fur is often very dirty. When I was little, I remember one spit on me and it was really gross.

Speaking facts. There are so many wolves in the community. Wish I could see more feline characters.
Llamas and pugs are overrated as well.
╔══════════════════════════════════════╗
r a n c i d r a m
black lives matter • empty the tanks • feminist
most likely inactive
ImageImageImage
╚══════════════════════════════════════╝
rancidram

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sinewuui » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:52 am

Lions, whenever i turn on the tv its just lions killing baby animals. Like, is that supposed to be cool and manly? In real life, lions are lazy animals that just lay around and steal food from hyenas. (Tv says lions are the heroes and hyenas are dumb theives and it makes me sad...)

⇢ ˗ˏˋWHAT YOU LACK... IS THIS! ♡

juno/ulysses - they/it - certified cs "veteran"
every now and then i return to this lawless wasteland of a website out of
curiosity hi everyone. i make arts and stuff. check out my toyhouse. i like dmc,
suda51 games and mgs. that's all you need to know.
sinewuui

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi. » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:55 pm

Green Cheeked Conures

Don't get me wrong, i love them, and i own 2.
But I'm so sick of people commenting "ARI" on every conure picture i come across. It gets real annoying. "I WANT ONE" "Theyre so cute and smart" "its a dog" like, excuse me, you literally know nothing about them or even birds in general. You just saw some videos of them, that tells nothing. They bite, they scream, they need tons of time and attention, they're like toddlers. They can be cute and cuddly and play with toys bla bla bla but every bird is different. Mine dont play with toys, they aren't cuddly, etc. You've only seen the good side. And you shouldn't even try to get one until you do reaserch on them.
Lexi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby anime » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:59 pm

labrador retrievers

can another dog please win best akc dog for the 27th time
other sites wrote:https://savvyster.carrd.co/
info wrote:━━━━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━━━━
【☆】call me sav!
【☆】any pronouns||lesbian
【☆】art shop]
be my friend wrote:
┌──────────────────────────┐

my messages are always open!

i play minecraft, hades, and rdr2

ps2 retro games are special interests

i love dinosaurs, fish, and all reptiles!

i own way way too many critters :3

i love to cook and bake for others!
└──────────────────────────┘‏‏‎

‎‏‏‎ ‎‎Image
hoard pet, will overpay! art by candied bees

┌─────────┐┌─────────┐┌─────────┐┌─────────┐┌──────────┐
└─────────┘└─────────┘└─────────┘└─────────┘└──────────┘
┌─────────┐┌─────────┐┌─────────┐┌─────────┐┌──────────┐
└─────────┘└─────────┘└─────────┘└─────────┘└──────────┘
anime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mycorrhizae » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:33 am

Lexi. wrote:Green Cheeked Conures

Don't get me wrong, i love them, and i own 2.
But I'm so sick of people commenting "ARI" on every conure picture i come across. It gets real annoying. "I WANT ONE" "Theyre so cute and smart" "its a dog" like, excuse me, you literally know nothing about them or even birds in general. You just saw some videos of them, that tells nothing. They bite, they scream, they need tons of time and attention, they're like toddlers. They can be cute and cuddly and play with toys bla bla bla but every bird is different. Mine dont play with toys, they aren't cuddly, etc. You've only seen the good side. And you shouldn't even try to get one until you do reaserch on them.

So true. I mean, just parrots in general. People talk about wanting a pet bird and they're obsessed with the idea of a parrot. I always tell people that bout the massive time commitment and how it's like having a two year old for 20+ years. The only birds I recommend to people are pigeons and chickens. Especially when they want the bird for their kid.
hi i like birds
Mycorrhizae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PixelChan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:49 am

rancid taquito wrote:Speaking facts. There are so many wolves in the community. Wish I could see more feline characters.
Llamas and pugs are overrated as well.

Finally, someone else in the furry community that gets it.

Everyone with a wolf fursona seems to ignore the fact that wolves are smart, respectful pack animals. People with a wolf fursona either depict their character as derpy and silly or "lone wolves" (that don't really exist since wolves will most likely die without a pack) that are super tough and brave. The fact that most people who like wolves can't really get the personality right is also kind of annoying.
PixelChan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Michael's Fan. » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:35 am

le$bian wrote:labrador retrievers

can another dog please win best akc dog for the 27th time

I used to have a labrador retriever, he was the sweetest dog ever! His name was Hershey because of his dark brown, wavy fur.
I wouldn't say their overrated, but I don't watch dog shows, so that may be it *shrugs* c:
Michael's Fan.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wilbursoot » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:35 pm

Wolves. They're pushy, ignorant, and they cross the line too many times!
heyo

i dont come on here (ever)

still, you can message me ig
wilbursoot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me