Overated Animals?

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Quick Vote: Most Overated Animal?

Cats
12%
Dogs
18%
Lions
7%
Wolves
35%
Bears
2%
Dolphins
7%
Foxes
9%
Deer
2%
Other
8%

Total votes : 797

Re: Overated Animals?

Postby Lostfairy » Sun May 13, 2018 11:54 pm

Cats.

Everyone says cats are so amazing and are better then dogs but really? Dogs have your back and can protect you and will comfort you and just be a friend while cats can be sweet but most kinda do their own thing besides getting food and getting pampered and stuff.

I don’t get the hype for cats when dogs are just... better. XDD
Lostfairy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby POSTAL 2 » Mon May 14, 2018 3:50 am

Lostfairy wrote:Cats.

Everyone says cats are so amazing and are better then dogs but really? Dogs have your back and can protect you and will comfort you and just be a friend while cats can be sweet but most kinda do their own thing besides getting food and getting pampered and stuff.

i think cats are better because dogs are just....ugh...
dogs are harder to groom, if you live in an apartment you have to get a breed you don't want because most are like 929382927 times heavier then the amount of weight the actual place can hold, most dogs smell, you have to take dogs outside for them to poop or pee or else they'll do that in your house, they jump up on your legs and scratch up your pants if they love you and in my opinion they're just not that cute. cats are little tiny boyos and they're super fluffy, they have a litter box and you only have to take it out once in a few weeks or once a month, you can keep them in apartments, they meow and kiss you when they love you, most of them don't smell, you can keep any breed in an apartment because they're all the same size or smaller, and they're actually very underrated compared to dogs. and also i own 2 cats, i know what i'm saying.
sorry for this long debate, i just think dogs are overrated in comparison to cats.

Image max any neos/him may 5 big fan of retro fps, bulletstorm, and gianni matragranoImage
mankind is dead, blood is fuel, hell is full.

ImageImageImage

from the river to the sea, palestine will be free! 🇵🇸

random thought otd: rip transgender V1 stamp this robot will always be transgender to me

POSTAL 2

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Attiki Melissa » Mon May 14, 2018 7:59 am

Lostfairy wrote:Cats.

Okay
As you probably know, I love dogs, I mean, I have one and he is one awesome pup I wouldn't trade for any cat. But, in all fairness, dogs can be very dangerous, way more dangerous than cats. Even though he generally is a lovely dog that is far from spoiled, he once bit off the tip of my sister's finger and a small part of my eye (I needed surgery. Thank Goodness I still have my eye). And he is a fairly small dog. When it comes to larger dogs, well... I can see why some people don't like them. Also, cats are far more independent that dogs. Normally, an average dog has to be walked twice a day, washed once a month... Cats wash and walk themselves.
When it comes to loyalty, I have to say that cats tend to be just as sweet as dogs. A trusting cat is one of the best things ever, especially one that is willing to protect you.

Also, all animals are great.

✺☆✺☆✺☆✺☆✺☆Iron Maiden's gonna get you no matter how far✺☆✺☆✺☆✺☆✺☆
🌟🌠🌟🌠🌟🌠🌟🌠🌟🌠🌟🌠IMMORTAL IS MORE THAN A NAME🌟🌠🌟🌠🌟🌠🌟🌠🌟🌠🌟🌠
Attiki Melissa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Enyo » Fri May 18, 2018 10:09 am

All the animals are great or at least fascinating in their own way.
However, I don't like the reasons many people give when they say some domestic animals like cats and dogs are their favorite animal when their only arguments are linked to the way these animals behave with humans (I wish that 'loyalty to humans' was less often used as a criteria, same for 'cuddly with humans' ). And I also dislike when people like animals only because of the way they are pictured in a movies (no, if you like the Lion King does not mean lions should be your favorite animals. It's fiction, the animals are not depicted realistically. And no, knowing My Little Pony does not mean you know about real horses and ponies). But if people have other arguments, I don't mind if cats, dogs, horses or lions are their favorite animals. So, for me no animal is trully overrated, but some constructed ideas we have about animals are.
Enyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ∘Raven∘ » Fri May 18, 2018 10:18 am

No animal is 'overrated.'
To say so is rather prideful. Each and every species is incredibly unique, and each and every individual is absolutely different.

Even if a certain kind of animal shows up more on social media doesn't mean it's overrated. It just means people enjoy seeing them, and as far as cats go, they can be rather entertaining and lighten moods.

Now, just like @Enyo said above, 'ideas' about animals are what's truly overrated.
A dog is 'mans best friend'
Cats are 'always movie villains'
Those two are commonly used and obviously cliched ideas about animals. There are bad cats. There are bad dogs, and saying one species is better than the other is just irritating. I love animals, and I don't believe they can possibly be 'overrated'.
Kindness costs you nothing.
∘Raven∘

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SkywardtheDragon » Mon May 21, 2018 2:02 pm

I voted dog, but specifically Labrador Retrievers. My family’s a giant proponent of them, but I don’t get what’s so special. They bark loudly, act hyper, and don’t even have soft fur. Their fur is bristly and gets everywhere.
Lights off!

ProtectImagePickles

SkywardtheDragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby U wot m8 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:40 pm

Tbh every animal is overrated to some degree so uh.
I voted wolves.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
U wot m8

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FANTASIIIA » Mon May 21, 2018 10:45 pm

∘Raven∘ wrote:No animal is 'overrated.'
To say so is rather prideful. Each and every species is incredibly unique, and each and every individual is absolutely different.

Even if a certain kind of animal shows up more on social media doesn't mean it's overrated. It just means people enjoy seeing them, and as far as cats go, they can be rather entertaining and lighten moods.

Now, just like @Enyo said above, 'ideas' about animals are what's truly overrated.
A dog is 'mans best friend'
Cats are 'always movie villains'
Those two are commonly used and obviously cliched ideas about animals. There are bad cats. There are bad dogs, and saying one species is better than the other is just irritating. I love animals, and I don't believe they can possibly be 'overrated'.

" All it costs is your love!! "
    Welcome! I am quite friendly and I love chatting as well as meeting new friends.
    [she/he/they][INFJ][©]
FANTASIIIA

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby douceur » Mon May 21, 2018 11:14 pm

Why does this thread even exist?
Obviously everyone has their own opinions so there's not even a conclusion to make. Its more like a rant.
Sorry if I'm rude<3
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
douceur|she/her|introvert
like snow beautiful but cold / about||©

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
douceur

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Scottish9 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:14 am

Here's a few I think don't deserve all the hype

Wolves, specifically the gray/timber and Arctic varieties (less for Reds). Last I checked, they were invasive to many states and not even listed as endangered anymore. So all the defending and glorifying as "apex predators" is kind of ridiculous.

Toy breeds of dogs. They have so many health issues, are a bit neurotic (mostly) and don't even look that attractive. Toys are not to be compared with smaller-size functional breeds, like terriers (except Yorkies). Toys were bred to look like they do and be kind of useless.

Most cats. I appreciate working farm cats, but it ends there. Why keep a so-called companion animal around when it's a jerk that destroys things and uses a box that you have to endure and clean? Sure they can be entertaining, but I want a friend, not a weird fuzzy housemate.

Snakes. Not nearly as much as above, but again, I don't get why you'd want a pet reptile that you can't really handle or play with. I know you ca with some, but they are almost too finicky.

Rats. I've had very bad experiences with rodents so rats will never be on my good list
So, I am no longer really playing. I am sticking around to collect pets which I will exchange for art. Please only contact me about art or if you need some advice or a listening ear.
Scottish9

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me