Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby Imzadi83 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:10 am

What is a “never again breed” for you?
A breed you may have struggled with and have decided will never fit your lifestyle kind of thing.

Probably an Akita, just because I had trouble restraining one when I volunteered at the pound, only dog I ever needed help holding onto. She wasn't aggressive (towards me though she got put down when a vet tech claimed she growled at her) she just had too much pulling power for me to handle.

I don't care for Labs or Goldens either just because I've met so many irresponsible owners who think it's okay to not train or socialize their dog or ignore warning signs of aggression because they are a "family" breed.

I don't care for really drooling dogs either. And I can't imagine a time when anything high energy (must have long hike every day) will fit my lifestyle. And I'm not inclined towards Pugs, Bostons, Bulldogs, or French Bulldogs, between the snoring, gassiness, and looks their just not something I'm drawn towards.

Honestly though as long as I could handle the individual dogs need, if I was ever to be able to foster, I wouldn't reject a dog because of the breed.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BananaBean » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:15 am

A breed you may have struggled with and have decided will never fit your lifestyle kind of thing.

i would never own a yorkie again. It might just be because he was trained horribly by a family member, but i just dont care for the yapping and overall i just really dont like them. the one i had would act out for attention and was super aggressive.
BananaBean

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:20 am

leyendecker wrote:
Imzadi83 wrote:Honestly unless you're home all day a puppy/young herding breeds (like a collie) may be too much for your current situation. Do you have a lot of time/ability to exercise, because it will need it especially if you're in an apartment. Though an adult might be an option though. I recommend talking to some Collie rescues and fostering if you can to give you an idea of if it's possible. It's good you're looking into the club meetups.

Define good in winter? Dogs that do better in winter are going to be more difficult in the grooming department and if you have long/hot summers where you are might not be a good choice if you're wanting to do a lot of high energy sports. That doesn't mean it can't work but it's something to take into consideration. Also most dogs can do okay in winter if they're in the house most of the time and protected (coat, boots, etc.) when they're out.

Personally I would look into sight hounds (Greyhounds, Whippits, Gaglos, Saluki, etc.. They come in various sizes and seem to fit the bill with what you are looking for. Some scent hounds might be a good fit too.

yeah puppy energy is one of the biggest points of hesitation i've had with getting a new dog, i've heard collies tend to be a little less intense than other herders but meeting some should give me a better idea, if not i'll ask around for rescues to find an older dog who may fit better
      also before i get my puppy i'll be living in a house with a yard and three other people, at least one of whom will be home at any given time, so keeping up when i'm working won't be a giant issue, again the real issue is finding all the energy to keep up with a puppy (i just plan on moving out on my own at some point with the dog)

i just want something who can go out in the snow, weather they need extra gear or not. my chi can't handle anything under 50 so that's my litmus right now. i'm not huge about being in the snow so i'm not looking for like a northern breed, just something that can handle it a little better.

i love sighthounds, they're just larger than i was looking at by and large, and hard to come by here (so i would likely need to drive halfway across the country for one), and i've heard from a zoi breeder that most sighthound puppies need big yards to grow right (and the larger ones mature much slower so i likely won't have a yard before they mature) so again i'd have to find an older dog.
      i was also looking into coonhounds (black and tan specifically) i've just heard so much conflicting info on if they're high energy or not :\ i also live in an area that mainly uses hounds for hunting so i'd be looking at another long search to find a conformation breeder, they also tend to run a little more stubborn than i'd like but that just be a case of finding the right dog.

thank you for the info though, i'll look into a few more options and see if i can't find more resources for some of the dogs you suggested

If you're in the US I know http://www.sighthoundunderground.org adopts all over the country and will ship dogs. There also always looking for fosters if you want to try a specific breed out. In some countries Lurchers may be more common and are a bit smaller. I've never heard of needing a big yard for a sighthound puppy to grow right. That doesn't make sense to me since it would be more about how much they get to stretch their legs as opposed to where they were doing it. After all someone could have a huge yard but keep the dog in a crate indoors for 12 hours a day where as someone could have no yard but take it out, walk, and have some place to let it run off leash multiple times a day.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:24 am

Chihuahuas.
My brother has failed to train hi and it won't stop yapping and has recently started biting at peoples heels as they walk out the door.

This chihuahua has been accidentally kicked so many times now and it's his own fault at this point. My brother won't let me get my hand on training this dog, and he won't out his foot down with said dog. 7 years of bad experiences with a breed? It's ruined the breed for me tbh.
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:36 am

Chows. I have met a lot of chows, even gone to dog shows and interacted with them and I can personally say that I have never met one that is mentally stable. Every single one I have met has had multiple forms of aggression, anxiety, fear biting, the list goes on.

Goldens and Labs are all the same to me, same old happy go lucky forgettable dogs. Too happy and not enough dog for me.

I love small dogs, and if life was perfect, I wouldn’t own a dog over 20lbs but I hate how small dog owners don’t train them.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marley.&.Me » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:37 am

Honestly a Lab.

They’re so common here and are very aggressive because owners of them are careless.

I had a Lab/Chow mix and he was friendly, but he was aggressive even when trained..

He bit the vet and they recommended putting him down.

I had no say as I was young.
Marley.&.Me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ru. » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:25 am

Out of dogs that I've lived with?
Beagle (/scent hound in general) and a Shiba Inu.
While beagles and shibas are both insanely cute they simply are not my types otherwise.

The fact that Beagles and hounds generally cannot be trusted off-leash is enough to deter me from ever owning one. Combine that with a Beagle's stubbornness, not being very eager to please, following their nose to a fault (better chain the garbage can down when you leave the house! 😂), and oh goodness the baying! The endless baying! I'd rather not own a beagle. Even though they have redeeming qualities.

Shibas are simply too independent and on-their-own-terms for me. They are loyal to a fault but it's still difficult to get a solid recall on them. They are the farthest thing from eager to please and will only work if they see that it benefits them enough for it to be worth it in their mind. (i.e. my parent's dog will do anything for treats but will only listen to commands 50/50 otherwise). I like dog-like cats but I do not like cat-like dogs.

Out of dogs I never lived with but know that I'll never own?

Most breeds under 10-12 lbs due to housetraining difficulty and everyone else's propensity to treat them like puppies forever.

Border Collies for reasons I list below.

Sighthounds, much to my dismay. :( They are the most beautiful dogs imo, but they are not a good match for me.(Too independent, not eager to please enough, can't be trusted off-leash, etc.)

Most terriers.

Flossie wrote:Never owned them, but I’d never get a border collie. They’re one of the most popular breeds here, and I just, personally, find them so plain. They all kinda seem the same to me, never met one with a ‘unique’ personality, if you get what I mean? Same with Golden Retrievers and Labradors, there just doesn’t seem to be much variation within the breed themselves, well the large amount I’ve encountered, anyway.

I am in your boat regarding border collies, haha! They are the most common breed in my area (followed by ACDs/Heelers & Australian Shepherds) and it seems like everyone has one or a "cowdog" mix around here. Granted, I live in a ranching community so of course that would be the most widely available dog. Still. Though I can appreciate how great they are at their jobs, I will never own one. I just personally find them a little bit bland since that's what I've grown up seeing my entire life. That and I know they would be just a little too "much" for me.
Everyone I know who has a border collie or mix and it isn't a ranch dog, is in over their heads. Their dogs are neurotic and/or just bored to death and end up driving everyone nuts who isn't their owner.

(I own a Golden but I know they are seen as too "vanilla" for a lot of more serious dog folks, haha! Although it's funny because in my community there is only one other Golden Retriever. So I never thought they were boring. There are a few black labs though. 🤷)
| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bloodredsheep » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:17 am

Imzadi83 wrote:If you're in the US I know http://www.sighthoundunderground.org adopts all over the country and will ship dogs. There also always looking for fosters if you want to try a specific breed out. In some countries Lurchers may be more common and are a bit smaller. I've never heard of needing a big yard for a sighthound puppy to grow right. That doesn't make sense to me since it would be more about how much they get to stretch their legs as opposed to where they were doing it. After all someone could have a huge yard but keep the dog in a crate indoors for 12 hours a day where as someone could have no yard but take it out, walk, and have some place to let it run off leash multiple times a day.

some sighthound breeders more prefer a potential owner that has a backyard and some breeders do make it a requirement to have a yard. But I think if the potential owner was honest and called the breeder and explained that while they don't have a yard they will be willing to hike, walk, or even find an enclosed area to take the dog to stretch their legs they might be ok with it. but yes some Sighthound breeders pick people with yards over people who don't.

forgot to add this part

ok breed I'll never own it's more type/group of dogs it would be herding dogs. I'm just not that big a fan of them. Most of them just have way to much energy. I guess if I had to pick a breed I owned before or have it would be an Australian cattle dog mine's great and does his work perfectly but just he's a handful. Love him though great dog. just I'm not getting another maybe once he can't work anymore might get another but I think i'll always just have one herding dog unless I need more because I have to many goats/sheep but as of now 1 herding dog is good enough. Pretty much if it was possible for me to do my work without them I would.

Pitbulls and BBMs are one's I don't ever plan to own ever but have in the past. Its not that I don't like them just that they aren't my type of dog.
bloodredsheep

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:39 am

bloodredsheep wrote:
Imzadi83 wrote:If you're in the US I know http://www.sighthoundunderground.org adopts all over the country and will ship dogs. There also always looking for fosters if you want to try a specific breed out. In some countries Lurchers may be more common and are a bit smaller. I've never heard of needing a big yard for a sighthound puppy to grow right. That doesn't make sense to me since it would be more about how much they get to stretch their legs as opposed to where they were doing it. After all someone could have a huge yard but keep the dog in a crate indoors for 12 hours a day where as someone could have no yard but take it out, walk, and have some place to let it run off leash multiple times a day.

some sighthound breeders more prefer a potential owner that has a backyard and some breeders do make it a requirement to have a yard. But I think if the potential owner was honest and called the breeder and explained that while they don't have a yard they will be willing to hike, walk, or even find an enclosed area to take the dog to stretch their legs they might be ok with it. but yes some Sighthound breeders pick people with yards over people who don't.

I get having it as a requirement if that is what the breeder perfers, but saying that a puppy can't grow properly unless the owner has a yard just isn't factual. Who owns the property that exercise is being done on doesn't make a difference in the outcome. It would be like saying that going to the gym doesn't count as exercise, you have to own your own gym for it to count.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bloodredsheep » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:56 am

Imzadi83 wrote:
bloodredsheep wrote:

I get having it as a requirement if that is what the breeder perfers, but saying that a puppy can't grow properly unless the owner has a yard just isn't factual. Who owns the property that exercise is being done on doesn't make a difference in the outcome. It would be like saying that going to the gym doesn't count as exercise, you have to own your own gym for it to count.

yeah usually its a requirement like you said and not because it will affect the growth or health of the puppy.
miss read your comment sorry about that. I agree.
bloodredsheep

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me