Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby eleutheromania » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:04 pm

For Piper i made some cupcakes, Loki got a dog cake, and Kasper got ice cream. Depending on the weather we
    also took them to the trail and did some fun training or just played in the yard.
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:14 pm

Sorry I was rude, I'm so tired lol.
Mazie is training for agility, only things a 7 month old can do, she has taken two obedience classes and is training for the Canine Good Citizen test currently.

I don't have any photos at the moment but she is a well built blue merle aussie with one blue and one brown eye. She has a natural bobbed tail and is standard sized.
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shadow~wolf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:17 pm

^ do you plan on breeding her with another merle dog/ do you know who the male will be?

edit: i'll probably be using a dog safe meatloaf/cake recipe i found
for lucky's bday! it says to use mashed potatoes as icing and peas on top
for decoration but i'll probably replace the "icing" with sweet potato or coconut oil
and decorated with dried minnows
Last edited by shadow~wolf on Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadow~wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Perro » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:19 pm

Any fellow Great Dane owners or enthusiasts out there?
Perro

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:25 pm

Also, my veterinarian (also the clinic owner) said that at this time Mazie has absolutely no health issues and will make a perfect breeding dog once she's old enough. Of course I'm not going to just breed her at two years unless I'm sure she's ready and healthy, that's why I said two ish.

I do have a stud dog that I'm interested in so far, Bentley is a red aussie, only one so I will have to make sure he is fit to be bred when the time comes. I know his owner because she is the breeder I got Mazie from, her daughter wanted to get a stud dog so they got Bentley and stopped breeding.
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:29 pm

Its good that you've got her started in agility and obedience, are you planning to start conformation puppy shows?. Did her breeder genetically test her for MDR1 etc? Or will you have to send it in yourself to make sure she's clear of everything genetically? Does Bentley have his health clearances or is he a puppy too at the moment?
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:38 pm

Shadow~Wolf wrote:super excited for lucky's birthday, i'm planning it a week ahead. what do you all do for your dog's birthdays?

I have a pupcake recipe that Chloe loves I always make for her birthday. We give her presents and have a little party for her. I usually dress her up and put on her party hat, which never stays on but is fun for photos, lol.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:20 pm

Her kennel name is Schattenhaus. When I get on my laptop I’ll grab pictures. Lord knows she has a lot of pictures of her dogs on Facebook. 😂

About the Von thing, she’s explained it to me at some point, I honestly can’t remember it right now.
Schattenhaus means Shadow House though, apparently.

She’s breeding solid black, working line shepherds.
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Transkitty » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:30 pm

M A P L E S H A D E wrote:Also, my veterinarian (also the clinic owner) said that at this time Mazie has absolutely no health issues and will make a perfect breeding dog once she's old enough. Of course I'm not going to just breed her at two years unless I'm sure she's ready and healthy, that's why I said two ish.

I do have a stud dog that I'm interested in so far, Bentley is a red aussie, only one so I will have to make sure he is fit to be bred when the time comes. I know his owner because she is the breeder I got Mazie from, her daughter wanted to get a stud dog so they got Bentley and stopped breeding.

When I talk about health testing, I'm not talking about your vet giving your dog an all clear on their general health. I'm talking about genetic testing to find diseases and other issues that are common in your specific breed. Here are the tests suggested by the breed club for Aussies. Have her parents had any of this testing? Her grandparents?

There are also more check marks to hit before breeding in my opinion. Meeting the breed standard is the minimum, what else makes your dog a good breeding dog? Titles are proof that your dog is functional and has proven so to unbiased judges. Sports titles or conformation titles, a lot of breeders like to put both on their dogs!

I also agree that 7 months is too young to determine that your dog is good breeding stock. At that age, you can't even be sure she will meet the breed standard when she matures. A lot changes between 7 months and 2 years, which is when most reproductive veterinarians suggest a bitch first be bred.

I will second the suggestion I saw above for puppy culture! It's an amazing program that helps produce stable puppies that adapt very well to changes and life in general.
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Faybell » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:59 pm

Shadow~Wolf wrote:super excited for lucky's birthday, i'm planning it a week ahead. what do you all do for your dog's birthdays?

I bake him a cupcake and he gets a frozen treat. Last year I brought him to get a pupcup from Starbucks but this year I’m making dog ice cream. He gets a present from me, my boyfriend, and my boyfriend’s parents. My grandma gave him something last year but idk if she’ll make a habit of it. We also bring him for a long car ride since that’s his favorite thing ever.

This year I’m making his birthday gift, a snuffle mat. You just get a mat with holes that you tie long strips of fabric everywhere. You put treats or kibble in it for them to find.

Anyone else make a homemade toy? I’d love to know for future things I can make for him.
Faybell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me