Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby cornspurrd. » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:58 am

This dog never fails to kill me lmao

Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Temper » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:31 pm

Totally disagree about the border collies!
I absolutely love them. They’re fantastic dogs, but not for everyone I guess.
I’m fortunate enough to be surrounded by a large community of BC owners and their dogs, and the ones I get to work with have vastly different personalities and temperaments. Their work ethic and drive never fails to astound me. Definitely a breed I will own in the near future!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I personally LOVE the breed. :)

.......... Image Krasivi Collies
...........Image Krasivi Trotters
...........Image Krasivi Euphorians
...........Image Krasivi Wolfhounds
...........Image Lone Bashkir Curlies
...........Image Andaluz Sport Horses

....................Image
Temper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:39 pm

This girl gave me the biggest scare of my life today. We had our first puppy class this morning, and she got car sick on the way there then refused every treat I offered. Not my normal pup at all, so we went right to the vet after class.

They thought she had a blockage at first, but X-rays cleared that. Then they realized she had a infection but weren’t sure why. We figured out where it came from, so she got some IV fluids, meds, and I have to monitor her of course. Luckily she’s perked up after a few hours of rest, and even ate finally! I am so thankful to have my normal happy girl back, the slight lethargic attitude from this morning worried me.

She really did impress me with how nicely she behaved at the vet, even feeling bad she was very polite and amazing with the X-rays, shots and even the IV that they had to stick her with three times. I’m just so glad we got it figured out and she’s feeling better!

Temper- Agreed, I adore border collies! (Clearly lol) Octavia has the most amazing personality, Kota is totally different and just cracks me up, and Miya is the sweetest dog I know. All the borders I know have lots of personality and are all different.

You couldn’t pay me to own a lab, or most small breeds. Or a doodle (not a real breed but still)
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Almond Bark » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:51 pm

IOwnAZoo wrote:Just got some samples in for Diego!

He has a few favorites, but I'm happy to say he likes pretty much everything included except for some cranberry treats (which makes sense, he doesn't like any fruit besides apples).

As for the discussion at hand (the "never again" breed one), I don't feel there are any breeds I wouldn't personally share my home with, actually. I prefer the rescue/rehoming route, so the perfect dog for me could be nearly any breed.

Hey, I realized that you're feeding your dog Amì, which is a vegan pet food brand? I'm pretty sure dog's are carnivores, hence their pointed teeth and descending from wolves..I don't mean to come off rude, but dogs can't thrive on a vegan diet even if they do survive. It's unhealthy for them and grains, which vegan foods are based off of can cause allergies for your dog. I'm concerned for the safety and health of your dog since its technically abuse...?
Almond Bark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ru. » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:02 pm

Temper wrote:
Totally disagree about the border collies!
I absolutely love them. They’re fantastic dogs, but not for everyone I guess.
I’m fortunate enough to be surrounded by a large community of BC owners and their dogs, and the ones I get to work with have vastly different personalities and temperaments. Their work ethic and drive never fails to astound me. Definitely a breed I will own in the near future!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I personally LOVE the breed. :)

Haha, that's how I feel about everyone talkin' smack about Goldens! lol
It's hard not to get defensive when it's one of "your" breeds but to each their own ultimately! We can't please 'em all (;

You should be glad that not everyone wants a BC because everyone certainly can't handle them. They are on a whole other level from most dogs and what most "pet" homes are able to manage.
Goldens & Labs have been damaged as breeds due to everyone wanting them, sadly. A lot more aggression, neuroticism & anxiety, and physical health issues in the breeds (like hip dysplasia) then there should ever be.

There is always variety in temperament within any breed. (: So I understand that they can all be a little bit different, but there is still a standard that most dogs of any breed fall within. Many BC's are different from one another just like Goldens, Chihuahuas, etc. I think some people don't notice the individual personalities within breeds when they haven't had a ton of first-hand experience and extended time with them. (i.e. for a long time all Chi's felt the same to me. Still wouldn't want one {or anything under 15 lbs} but I recognize and respect that they are not all the same and some are incredible little dogs)

My Golden boy is from field lines so he's a little bit of a different "flavor" from your usual/basic "vanilla" (haha). Appearance-wise alone he's much darker, thinner fur, longer legs, etc. But he's still a Golden at the end of the day and anyone who wouldn't want a Golden wouldn't want him either, lol!

My beef with BC's mostly just lies in over-exposure. They have been the breed in my area (rural ranching community) for so long that now they feel sort of bland to me (appearance-wise). In regards to temperament, I have met too many neurotic ones that were that way from backyard breeding, insufficient mental & physical stimulation - or, in most cases both.

There is no better herder though. Most of the best ones out here are BC's or BC/ACD mixes. If needed a ranch dog I would look no further. Or if I was incredibly serious about agility. But I am not either of those things so I know that a BC would never be a good fit for me, personally.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that I will ever own another Golden either unless I have a family in the future and my partner wants one. I love my boy to death and would never replace him, but the "love everyone" attitude can be a bit disheartening at times. Goldens are not very loyal and he would jump right into a stranger's car and be happy with a new family after a couple of weeks, I'm sure. My next dog needs to be more loyal, one-person, and more of a "velcro" dog. Also it's important to me that my next dog is more serious and focused. Goldens are eager to please but generally very goofy.

Almond Bark wrote:
Hey, I realized that you're feeding your dog Amì, which is a vegan pet food brand? I'm pretty sure dog's are carnivores, hence their pointed teeth and descending from wolves..I don't mean to come off rude, but dogs can't thrive on a vegan diet even if they do survive. It's unhealthy for them and grains, which vegan foods are based off of can cause allergies for your dog. I'm concerned for the safety and health of your dog since its technically abuse...?

Let's please not beat this dead horse again 😂
What one chooses to feed their dog is their business as long as they are getting adequate protein & balanced nutrition and the dog is healthy.
Since dogs are technically more omnivorous (then, say, cats) and they can live off of plant proteins then ultimately it is the owner's choice. Albeit a very controversial one.
Whether someone chooses to feed raw, kibble, home-made,
or prepared vegan is entirely their decision. Prepared vegan dog foods at least have protein, added nutrients and attempt to be balanced. It isn't like they are feeding their dog a diet of carrots and white rice. It should be okay. (:
So we shouldn't force our views on each other and we should do our best to be open minded and respect one-another's choices as long as the dog in question isn't suffering because of them (in this case they are not. The diet might not be optimal, but the dog can live likely just as well as it would any most low-budget kibble.)
Last edited by ru. on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marley.&.Me » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:09 pm

Marley.&.Me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yetzali » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:17 pm

Almond Bark wrote:
IOwnAZoo wrote:Just got some samples in for Diego!

He has a few favorites, but I'm happy to say he likes pretty much everything included except for some cranberry treats (which makes sense, he doesn't like any fruit besides apples).

As for the discussion at hand (the "never again" breed one), I don't feel there are any breeds I wouldn't personally share my home with, actually. I prefer the rescue/rehoming route, so the perfect dog for me could be nearly any breed.

x
      dogs can do well on a vegan diet, as long as it's done correctly, they can even thrive on it. meat isn't a nutritional requirement for them, but i personally wouldn't stop feeding my dog meat or recommend that anyone else does. they aren't exactly carnivores, they have a lot of omnivorous qualities.

if you do a lot of research and carefully prepare their meals, you can give them all the nutrients that they need without feeding animal-based products, as long as the dog is able to digest alternatives like legumes, beans, etc. a vegan diet for dogs that isn't correctly balanced can lead to inadequate protein intake, amino acid imbalance, and vitamin and/or mineral deficiency.

obviously, it's best to serve them an omnivorous diet. but a properly balanced vegan diet isn't abuse haha, it can even be life-saving to some dogs with a lot of serious allergies.
xImage
sarah
infj
she/they
pm me for dog pictures
yetzali

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NeverLand. » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:24 pm

♥ ♡ ♥
|| rosé || she/they || female ||
╔══════════════════╗
A boring lesbian with an
unfortunate obsession of
dogs & digital drawing.
╚══════════════════╝
|| storage || BR || bonded ||
♥ ♡ ♥
NeverLand.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ru. » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:38 pm

NeverLand. wrote:https://www.instagram.com/apollo.2004/

check it out :3

Now that's a good looking​ Border Collie! Working lines?
(I just followed by the way with my dog's account. :3)
| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Flossie » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:16 pm

@ru. Completely agree! I know I won’t own a collie or Labrador, but I definitely wouldn’t mind owning one of those show Golden’s, haha. Just absolutely love the appearance of them. I’ve seen one before, and you can automatically tell the good lines with the way they carry themselves in such a regal form.
Flossie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me