Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby Crossflare » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:20 pm

... removing
Last edited by Crossflare on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:51 am

Captain Thomas Lasky wrote:Seems hypocritical to say there is no consensus on whst a balanced raw diet is and then say feed balanced raw. Seems also a bit irresponsible. Also seems very bias as well. Basically blindly preaching raw is good despite know it's not a balanced diet.

Which is the most irresponsible thing a diet advocate can do. At least I did my research to see if it was,safe or even beneficial i mean vets don't support raw for a reason because there us no science to back it up.

Want more people to support it get people who buy raw food from raw food companies to ask the companies to conduct research ask them to.

zot's up to the consumer to demand of the companies that they research it.

There's no consensus on specifics, such as BARF vs. Prey. There is general consensus that just throwing your dog a bunch of chicken legs isn't balanced. So it's not hypocritical. There is consensus on the general amounts of muscle meat, organ meat, and bones to feed. It's not irresponsible if you understand what balanced raw is as opposed to unbalanced raw.

I did my research too, so did my, and many other, veterinarians and canine nutritionists who support raw feeding. Most vets don't support raw because they are not educated on it, not given a lot of nutritional education in vet school (most of which is sponsored by pet food companies) and the AMVA and the has come out against it.

Again, the trials you mention in regards to corn are not lifetime studies, and are not independent. That is hardly definitive on the subject. I disagree on on natural being irrelevant. Then again I wouldn't feed my human children only fortified cereals and the like either. Their bodies were not designed to absorb and use nutrients in that manner. What shows up in a blood test and what is absorbed and used in the body aren't the same things.

We do not know that " we can make kibble diets that are complete and balanced, safe to consume, and healthy" over a lifetime of a dog compared to whole food based diets whether raw or cooked.

To me it will never make sense to cook food to the point it's digestible (why not feed food that the animal can digest in the first place?) stripping it of nutrients which have to be added in later.

And to me the argument that those experts make of bacteria risk is a moot point when both humans and animals are getting sick from kibble. If you feel comfortable feeding it and trust the pet food companies then fine, not one's stopping you from feeding it. I don't believe the evidence is there proving it is superior to feeding them what nature intended. Just as I don't believe the evidence is there to prove that the vitamin and mineral fortified cereal is superior to eating fruits and vegetables.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:34 am

Having issues with kibble doesn't erase the far greater risk of raw, especially when cooked diets are an option. So no, not a moot point, hence the stance of experts. You can choose to ignore those experts, dismiss them as being biased, but these aren't just your local small animal vets, these are people with experience. To imply that all these organizations are just "uneducated" otherwise they would support raw is wrong. These are groups of people and leaders in their fields with years and years of education behind them. I'd argue that's the opposite of uneducated.

"What shows up in a blood test and what is absorbed and used in the body aren't the same things."

I really implore you to take some basic animal biology courses. Like how the circulatory and digestive system works, how nutrients are broken down, and how cells make and use energy. Maybe even some more in depth stuff on evolution and how it doesn't work towards perfection, just towards what's good enough given the circumstances. I understand why some of my arguments may not make sense if you lack the understanding of the concepts behind them.

Earlier you stated that natural does not automatically mean better, but yet it is still your main argument for feeding raw.

I can only assume you only eat a raw diet too? Given that it makes no sense to cook food in your opinion? And no supplements since that should all be provided in your diet?
Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:10 am

im going to go ahead and say this before a mod does:: yall should stop arguing. you all have different opinions (some more scientific than others) but its only going to get more heated.
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:40 am

i agree with hyde. each of you have your opinions and have made your points but the conversation is going absolutely no where in the sense of a debate versus argumentive and growing heated by the wording. don’t like raw, don’t feed it but don’t push it on someone else but i don’t think anyone was, it was just suggested earlier. to each their own. if information and opinions cannot be posted politely, leave it be from there.
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:43 am

Last edited by Crossflare on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sorroh » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:52 am

We've had our girl Elphaba for about a year now - 4 year old Greyhound - and shes recently become very territorial over where she sleeps. If any of us, or our other pets walk by, she snaps. It's nothing more than growling and snarling, but we'd love to find away to make her tone it down, especially if there's a chance it might escalate. Any suggestions?
𝕷𝖎𝖑𝖎𝖙𝖍 | 𝕾𝖍𝖊/𝕳𝖊𝖗 | 𝕬𝖖𝖚𝖆𝖗𝖎𝖚𝖘
sorroh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:58 am

I mean this whole thing started because another user said that we would all agree to feed raw if we could. Which is false, so I shared my opinion.
There's a difference between a debate and an argument. I don't have any hard feelings against Imzadi83, it's not personal, and I feel the tone between us two had been pretty civil. That said I'm fine with dropping the topic for now, but that doesn't mean I should have to stay silent every time it's implied that raw is the best/ideal diet.
Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:59 am

Last edited by Crossflare on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:04 pm

no one is saying you do agree taiger. i suppose the wording of said comment caused the upbringing of the opinions which is fine. nor should you not be able to voice your opinion which is fine. let’s just leave it at that and find a different topic to prevent the possibility of the mods needing to step in.

@marner ; if this is recent behavior, have you tried to figure out what occurred to cause it? it sounds like she’s uncomfortable with you guys moving around her while she’s sleeping or quite possibility startling her? i would also check with your vet if it’s out of the ordinary.
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me