Your best animal sightings?

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Your best animal sightings?

Postby Tyrannidae » Mon May 13, 2019 10:14 am

In 8th grade, I went on a trip to the boundary waters up in Minnesota. I saw plenty of the usual stuff: raptors, waterfowl, fish, etc. But, aside from the STELLAR view I got of a bald eagle, the best animal sighting I saw on that trip felt a bit magical. A small group of us were exploring a small and peculiarly-made beaver dam pond**, obviously looking out for the beavers, when I saw something moving out of the brush across the pond. It was a female moose.
That thing was huge and it was so close. It was terrifying to be within 200ft of one of the largest animals on the continent, but also extremely cool. I'm pretty sure I'll never experience that again without being at a zoo.

**Think an infinity pool, kind of, but with the sides being made of grass. It's hard to explain, but we were standing on a dry patch next to the pond and the water's surface was around chest level compared to our heights. It was weird, like the beavers had woven the grass together to hold the water back or something. I'm honestly not sure how it worked.

On another less exciting note, I spotted a Lifer today. There was a red-breasted nuthatch on my feeder this morning. I didn't ever think I'd see one in my backyard because we have only 2 trees lol. And there's also a juvenile cottontail rabbit chilling under our porch steps. It's a cute little thing but we have SO MANY raptors around here that I'm afraid it'll be nabbed by something eventually.

Image Image Image
---
Devouring the world...
One fly at a time.
---
Image Image Image
Tyrannidae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Enyo » Wed May 15, 2019 10:33 am

Two weeks ago, I saw a whole family of foxes while I was walking near some woods at nightfall. They were not shy at all, (I would even say that they were as curious as I was) and I got to observe them very well. I wish I had my camera with me.

Recently, I also saw a beautiful barn owl, a tawny owl, and two voles (they were building their nest, jumping and running with grass stems in their mouth, it was funny to look at them).

In February, while I was in Egypt, I got to see some dolphins and a humphead wrasse (an impressive endangered fish) while snorkeling in the red sea, and also three jackals in the desert. Some of the best animal sightings of my life.
Enyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 「。Stars-Abøve 。」 » Mon May 20, 2019 6:49 pm

I saw an owl nested in the tree trunk. It was wild!
ImageMessage me or trade me!Image

Image Image Image Image

ImagePlease click on my eggs and hatchlings~PM me for clickbacks:) Thank you!!Image
「。Stars-Abøve 。」

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Diabrona » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:18 pm

When I was young, I lived out in the middle of nowhere. Literally in a desert town.
It was Thanksgiving, and we were all just doing our after dinner business, and my mom calls, "Lizzie! Come here, hurry!" Well, as fast as I could get out of doing whatever I was doing, I run back to the kitchen, and my mother picks me up to look out the window, and there before us are a group of turkeys walking through the brush.
I don't think we ever saw them again after that, but it was definitely cool!
Diabrona

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby grubgroove » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:21 pm

One time me and my family were driving in oregon(?) on a road trip, when we see that a bunch of people have stopped on the road and were taking pictures of something. once we got out of the car, we found out there was a herd of elk laying down next to the road!! There had to have been around six elk there. It was crazy, and we ended up getting some pretty cool photos of them :)

this one is not really as cool as the first one, but one time we found out that a stray cat had kittens in our attic! we had heard some meowing, then we looked up on the roof and found a hole. after that we checked the attic and sure enough, there were three little kittens! We gave them some food and eventually the mama cat moved them elsewhere.
ya
ya

yeehaw
Imagehehe
grubgroove

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby retro » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:51 pm

my family and i saw a bison give birth at yellowstone national park
tbh though it was so sudden i was like wth
retro / cosimo / chloe
she / her | listo | insta
retro

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Johto » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:00 pm

On a bird watch trip, I had seen multiple golden eagles, some of them could've been young bald eagles, but I got a nice photo of a golden that I could zoom in on and see the golden eagle features.

One of my other great sightings was coming up close with an oystercatcher and their eggs! They made their nest close to the path, which let me get wonderful pictures. Here's one:
Anna | She/her | Nonbinary
Fictional middle aged
man Enthusiast | I love
Zelda, Pokemon, Sonic,
FFXIV, No More Heroes,
MGR, Okami and Devil May Cry

I love animals in general, I
think marine life is really cool

Fandoms on my Carrd
Carrd | Toyhouse | Click if you dare
Funny video that I change sometimes

(I go by TwilightBard on most platforms)
Johto

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bitters » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:36 am

Spotted an albino whitetail doe with twin fawns. One was piebald, the other had a regular coat.

I really wish I had snapped a photo, but I kind of just enjoyed seeing them pass by my parents' backyard. When I told my parents I saw them, I didn't think they would believe me, but they had seen them before, too!
v Help me with my hoard? ♡ v
Bitters

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cswolf. » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:16 am

I saw a cute squirrel bounding through the snow. It may be a common Canada sighting but it's still one of the best c:
lurkin!

CATCHING UP MY REMAINING LOLO MESSAGES <3
THANKS ALL FOR VISITING ME :)
cswolf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eli Clark » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:19 am

I mean squirrels are very hard to find in my area I was walking around a tree I think and a squirrel fell out scared the living daylight out of me, Very cute though! <3
Eli Clark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me