NEW THREAD PG 7

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: training talk || v.1 open

Postby cornspurrd. » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:03 am

Does Anybody Know How To Train A dog To Stay No Matter What?

Mine Is very very close but some times gets distracted.. I keep him on a 15 foot leash thats not attatched to anything so He has some freedom to move so i can correct him but if he does decide to run i can step on his leash very easy.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:22 am

Rattielover0709 wrote:Does Anybody Know How To Train A dog To Stay No Matter What?
Mine Is very very close but some times gets distracted.. I keep him on a 15 foot leash thats not attatched to anything so He has some freedom to move so i can correct him but if he does decide to run i can step on his leash very easy.

when it is near perfect....nut still Needs some more work....
maybe...
use a second long leash on his harness, put it around something ,but so that you can give some or all of the leash (like when you call your dog) when you need to...
when your dog trys to stand up or run...simply pull the second leash and stop your dog^^

Train your dog at different places, different situations with dogs cats or whatever as distruction near...

@
WastedSpace
Does anybody have any advice or ideas for an anxiety-ridden dog during monsoon season?

We can't leave her alone because she destroys anything and everything if it's storming outside. She's scratched up our doors (which have specific patterns carved into them, so it's important we keep her from doing this more as we plan on moving in a few years), eaten a whole cabinet door, torn up carpet, eaten any food she can reach, eaten rugs, etc. Even if we close all the doors to side rooms, she still rips stuff up.

im not so sure....
how much Training do you do with your dog?
what sport do you do with her? do you teach new things and so on...
it sounds as if she has not enough to do....when you cant go out much when weather is bad...maybe buy a new or used treadmill for your dog...you could try if this helps^^
give bones and rawhide bones to chew..
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby caf. » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:49 am

caf. wrote:as an addition to what @Luzien said, once you have a crate cue established, bombproof it. at first, leave a toy/treat your pet likes and tell them to ignore it and crate. praise big time - you want the crate to be as positive as possible, so big rewards. then you can up the ante: having a friend/family member be loud and distracting while you crate; crating outside; crating at a dog park; crating in all rooms of the house; crating in the car; the possibilities are endless. your goal is that no matter how scary and chaotic the situation is, the command is always followed.
you might also want to establish a really solid 'come' cue; teach your animals to come when called and bombproof it the same way, so that no matter where your animals are they'll come running when they hear you call.
too many owners train their animals in the same place every time, so the cue becomes useless in other areas. make sure your animals know that if they listen to you no matter what else is happening, they'll be rewarded.

@rattie - this applies to a lot of cues! your goal is to make yourself more reinforcing than the rest of the environment. if they ignore you, they get a reward from the environment, so make sure that if they listen the reward you give them is even better.
i did therapy dog training for awhile and one of the exercises we did was known as "puppy torture time" - we set up a ton of toys, snacks (and by snacks i mean cupcakes, cat food, the whole bit), and occasionally a class of kids from the local kindergarten. We then traded dogs and called our dogs to run down the aisle to us without touching anything. it was hard - that's the point! but when they succeeded and came to us, we gave them HUGE rewards to make sure they knew that the right answer is always coming when called.
of course, starting with that would set you up for failure, so start small. little distractions. and each time you fail, take a step back. there's nothing wrong with having to go down a level every now and again.
caf - they/them - bi
equestrian - vocalist - student

mostly i hang around here for
RVEC nowadays, though i
roleplay on occasion. chat
with me about horses, music,
math, science, or...anything!
caf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:17 pm

I'd like to be added as a
member!

Username: Maninkari
Species: Dog.

Is training a goat about the same as training a dog? I ended up with a goat, and I want to find her a new home but while she's with me I'm going to train her and get her on a diet.

What do I use as motivation? I almost exclusively use toys with my dogs, only treats if I'm teaching them something new and difficult. What treats would you even use with a goat???
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:36 pm

maninkari wrote:
member!

Username: Maninkari
Species: Dog.

Is training a goat about the same as training a dog? I ended up with a goat, and I want to find her a new home but while she's with me I'm going to train her and get her on a diet.

What do I use as motivation? I almost exclusively use toys with my dogs, only treats if I'm teaching them something new and difficult. What treats would you even use with a goat???

yes it can be the same, most goat are really funny and learn fast :lol: some say they learn bether than a dog...

but...i hope you have a good electric fence they are good wih getting away when fence is not high enough :!: :!: ;)
they like to jump an climb on things...so put something in the goats paddock (not near the fence^^), maybe a ball to play with....also enough hay all day.. .

you can train them with a collar or harness, and lead them around too, target, clicker and trick training, and such...i did see one who did some sort of dog agility with there goat...sign language too....when big enough they can pull a small cart..

most are grazy for food so that makes it more easy ....grain or fresh grass, pellets for goats work too.... but most need there rest in midday...dont know why...but it may depend on the pet.

and a second goat may help too with her diet and as companion, as they are herd animal, and will be more happy atleast with a second friend...so they will move aroun more , when you dont have two already.^^

do you have some goat mineral salt in her stall?

i wish you fun :D maybe you will keep her when all things work out ...they are fun as im told and did see at a farm i did help...maybe one day when i have some acres i will look into some goat too;)
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sadies » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:03 am

I'd like to be added as a member!

Username: Sadies
Species:
Mostly experienced with dogs; Behavioural and general training (Agility, Canine Musical Freestyle, Obedience etc.); Positive reinforcement.
Have also trained; Cats, Rats, a Hamster and a Guinea Pig. All with positive reinforcement training.
Sorry for my slow response time on RP's. My new job steals ALL my time. :(

xxxxx

Sadies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Greggory Lee; » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:58 am

member!

Username: Greggory lee;
Species: (can be multiple)
Im mainly experienced with birds, I can also inform with dogs however most of the tactics i can teach is clicker training.
Greggory Lee;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:17 am

member!

Username:Rattielover0709
Species: (can be multiple)Rats, And Dogs.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby caf. » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:49 am

all accepted, thanks so much for joining!
so sorry for my recent absence, it's been quite a busy month for me. to spark some conversation, however, how many of y'all have worked with animals on body awareness?
it's been awhile since i've done any with dogs, but since half my equestrian training regards dressage i do a lot with my horse. mostly we do pivots on the fore and hind legs, leg-yielding (diagonal motion), and we're just beginning shoulder-in (in which the horse displaces its front end from the track while keeping the hind end in forward motion). all of this to strengthen the hindquarters and improve general locomotion. anyone else have experience? thoughts?
caf - they/them - bi
equestrian - vocalist - student

mostly i hang around here for
RVEC nowadays, though i
roleplay on occasion. chat
with me about horses, music,
math, science, or...anything!
caf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery