🐦 Falconry 🐦

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: 🐦 Falconry 🐦

Postby Enyo » Sat May 06, 2017 11:54 am

Newt Scamander wrote:an edit to my last post: you're allowed to keep birds of prey here in the Netherlands without being a falconer, as long as they are captive bred and have the right papers.

anyway, i earned my falconers glove the other day. now i have my own. gotta let it engrave or something, make it special for me.

Congratulation!!!! :)

No, here (tough it's in the European union as well) the only way to have a bird of prey if you're not a offcicial falconer is by passing a hunting licence. And as I already said even if I don'tmind at all hunting with bird of preys, I don't really like shooting animals with guns and you have to do that in order to obtain the licence :/

I went to a parc this evening with my father, where there is a small farm/zoo... They have a couple of eagle owl in this small zoo, and these eagle owls have newborn babies!
I knew the owls had eggs, because last time I've been there one of the bird was brooding. The first time we've walked closed to their enclosure/aviary tonight, we thought the eggs were not oppened yet, because one of the bird was still on the nest and no baby could be seen ( heard a little high-pitched call though , so I said than some of the eggs may have hatched, but their was no way to prove it). The second time we walked to the enclosure, some of the bird had a prey (a chick I think) in its beak. The bird look at us, before calling the second bird and flying to the nest. The second bird stand up, letting us see the white/grey owlets for a long time. Acccording to their size and color, all of them are less than one week old, some of them may be less than a day old! This made my day :mrgreen:
Enyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gypaetus Barbatus » Sat May 06, 2017 7:36 pm

Oh that's cool! Baby birds always look so funny, haha.
Last edited by Gypaetus Barbatus on Sat May 06, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gypaetus Barbatus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby autobot. » Sat May 06, 2017 9:37 pm

Newt Scamander wrote:an edit to my last post: you're allowed to keep birds of prey here in the Netherlands without being a falconer, as long as they are captive bred and have the right papers.

anyway, i earned my falconers glove the other day. now i have my own. gotta let it engrave or something, make it special for me.

Ahh, so lucky AGAIN :3
please post a picture of a bird (if you get one)
I say the thread will be amused
autobot.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gypaetus Barbatus » Sat May 06, 2017 10:16 pm

Oh man, I'm not going to get a bird for another several years. Not untill I'm fully settled. But I can show some pictures of some of the birds I've worked with so far.
Gypaetus Barbatus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby autobot. » Sun May 07, 2017 8:11 pm

Yes, if u can :3

My mom was talking about a falxonry place. My dad and her are trying to find somewhere cheap.
Recently, it was my confirmation, and I got €495!!!
I want to use my money to pay to go :3
I just reeeeaaaallly hope I can go and handle/fly a bird c:
I will send pics if I can. My bday is in early July.. so... I will inform this thread if I am going!
autobot.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gypaetus Barbatus » Sun May 07, 2017 8:26 pm

Well, here are some.

Egyptian vulture.

Harris Hawk.

Hooded vulture.

Saker falcon.

Palm-nut vulture.

Those photos are all mine so please don't use. ^^

Further, I've also worked with: European eagle owl, Siberian eagle owl, barn owl, snowy owl, buzzard. So quite a few. And I'll add more with my internship in September.
name's alec. legally an adult and thus paying bills. they/them or he/him pronouns have my preference.
Gypaetus Barbatus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby autobot. » Sun May 07, 2017 9:50 pm

ahh, so lucky :3

i haven't even worked with one XP

i had a dream last night that i was out on a walk in the forest, and i felt something land on my shoulder. it was a peregrine!
lol
autobot.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gypaetus Barbatus » Sun May 07, 2017 9:58 pm

well i guess i'm just lucky that people around me have always been involved with birds of prey, giving me an advantage. it's been really cool.
name's alec. legally an adult and thus paying bills. they/them or he/him pronouns have my preference.
Gypaetus Barbatus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby autobot. » Sun May 07, 2017 10:05 pm

i have never met anyone irl that is interested in falconry.
i am going to a new school soon-- secondary to be exact.
my first question; "do u know what falconry is?" X3
autobot.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby autobot. » Mon May 08, 2017 9:33 am

This is more of a bird-of-prey-identy-question;

I was in the car with my auntie and youngest sister, while my mom, her friend, and my other younger sister went shopping.
They were gone for about 20 minutes.
What i usually do when I wait, I look outside to see if I can spot any birds, and identify them. Usually, there's just rooks, jackdaws, sparrows and other common birds. I saw a dove, which made me quite happy. But something else I saw.

I look to my left, and I see 30+ birds flying in a circle. They are about 1km away from me, and about 50m above the ground. they go higher and higher into the sky. they get about 200m into the air, and at least five dive down into nearby trees. I can tell they were diving because their wings disappeared beside their bodies and they ZOOMED down. The remaining ones, flew about another hundred metres, and then also dived down, at an even faster speed, into the trees. At this point, they look like little black dots. There are about three in the sky, and one dives FASTER than all the others, about 400m down, and then swoops back up. They were gliding around for ages.

Btw, this all happened outside my local supervalu XD
Can anyone help me identify these birds?

-- they were gliding for most of the time
-- they flew about 600m high up into the air- so it's not a rook- they don't fly so high.
-- it looked like they were circling something..
-- they were black, or possibly some sort of brown.
-- incredibly fast. The bird that dived and went back up, for up in about 8 seconds!
-- very good divers!

Help? I would really love to know the species of this bird.
Maybe they aren't a bird of prey..
autobot.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me