🐦 Falconry 🐦

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: 🐦 Falconry 🐦

Postby Gypaetus Barbatus » Mon May 08, 2017 8:18 pm

That's most-likely not a bird of prey. Sounds like a corvid, possibly crow/raven/rook. Also, not sure where you live, so.
name's alec. legally an adult and thus paying bills. they/them or he/him pronouns have my preference.
Gypaetus Barbatus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby autobot. » Mon May 08, 2017 10:35 pm

I am from Ireland, and I have never seen a corvid (of any kind) fly so high. Sorry if I got my facts wrong. I have never seen them dive either. I assumed it was a bird of prey, due to how they flew so high
autobot.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gypaetus Barbatus » Tue May 09, 2017 2:33 am

Well, there's a few corvids here that fly high and dive, especially when they're pestering other birds.

Maybe it was a falcon, although I'm not there are falcon that darkly coloured. What could make them look darkly coloured/black was lighting. Falcon's do dive.
name's alec. legally an adult and thus paying bills. they/them or he/him pronouns have my preference.
Gypaetus Barbatus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby autobot. » Tue May 09, 2017 8:49 am

Here the other day, I saw a seagull being attacked by two crows in the air (likg they were flying) XP

Hmmm
autobot.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Enyo » Thu May 11, 2017 2:11 pm

Newt Scamander wrote:Well, here are some.

Egyptian vulture.

Harris Hawk.

Hooded vulture.

Saker falcon.

Palm-nut vulture.

Those photos are all mine so please don't use. ^^

Further, I've also worked with: European eagle owl, Siberian eagle owl, barn owl, snowy owl, buzzard. So quite a few. And I'll add more with my internship in September.

I was already jealous at the picture of the Egyptian Vulture.
:)
Enyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Enyo » Thu May 11, 2017 3:04 pm

This is more of a bird-of-prey-identy-question;

I was in the car with my auntie and youngest sister, while my mom, her friend, and my other younger sister went shopping.
They were gone for about 20 minutes.
What i usually do when I wait, I look outside to see if I can spot any birds, and identify them. Usually, there's just rooks, jackdaws, sparrows and other common birds. I saw a dove, which made me quite happy. But something else I saw.

I look to my left, and I see 30+ birds flying in a circle. They are about 1km away from me, and about 50m above the ground. they go higher and higher into the sky. they get about 200m into the air, and at least five dive down into nearby trees. I can tell they were diving because their wings disappeared beside their bodies and they ZOOMED down. The remaining ones, flew about another hundred metres, and then also dived down, at an even faster speed, into the trees. At this point, they look like little black dots. There are about three in the sky, and one dives FASTER than all the others, about 400m down, and then swoops back up. They were gliding around for ages.

Btw, this all happened outside my local supervalu XD
Can anyone help me identify these birds?

-- they were gliding for most of the time
-- they flew about 600m high up into the air- so it's not a rook- they don't fly so high.
-- it looked like they were circling something..
-- they were black, or possibly some sort of brown.
-- incredibly fast. The bird that dived and went back up, for up in about 8 seconds!
-- very good divers!

Help? I would really love to know the species of this bird.
Maybe they aren't a bird of prey..

Maybe not a rook, but a large raven can be pretty impressive, bigger than some bird of preys and can be mistaken for one especially if they fly away from you and quite high. Plus, They do acrobatic figures like those you've described!
Crows (and other corvids) have a similar flight but they are smaller and it would be weirder to mistake them for bird of prey (at least for me who sees some crows everyday). So, if you ask me: Ravens.

You spoke about corvids attacking a seagull. I've seen carrion crows attacking falcons, hawks and owls larger than them. (Most of the time I've seen that was around this time of the year, when the crows have eggs / small babies).

falcon. wrote:My mom was talking about a falconry place. My dad and her are trying to find somewhere cheap.
Recently, it was my confirmation, and I got €495!!!
I want to use my money to pay to go :3
I just reeeeaaaallly hope I can go and handle/fly a bird c:
I will send pics if I can. My bday is in early July.. so... I will inform this thread if I am going!

That great!!! I cross my fingers for you and you can find a place where you can learn how to handle/fly a bird!!! :)
Enyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:28 pm

**thread has been dead for a while**
Okay so I used to be autobot.

It is my birthday! Yaaaaay!
We are going somewhere with 10+ bop (bird of prey XD) species on display! I get to handle a hand-reared owl at the end! I'm so exciteddd
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ

β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
β”–β”β”β”β”β”β”β”β—„β—„β”β”š
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gypaetus Barbatus » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:41 pm

polarbears. wrote:**thread has been dead for a while**
Okay so I used to be autobot.

It is my birthday! Yaaaaay!
We are going somewhere with 10+ bop (bird of prey XD) species on display! I get to handle a hand-reared owl at the end! I'm so exciteddd

Aye that's nice! Have a good day.
Gypaetus Barbatus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:00 am

Okay.
Here is my day so far:

We went off to Rosburagh(probably not correct speling) House and there was a playground, cafe (ect) and the bop area. So first of all, a really nice woman was there. Let's call her C.
so, first of all, she had this cute little bird named Damien. he was a small owl with big, Orange eyes! She asked me what my fav bird was, and I reply, 'peregrine falcon'.
She said I could hold him since it was my birthday. She also said they don't really let people hold him. I was so happy .
There was also a bird show, with a barn owl, two harris hawks, and a mix of a peregrine and some other bird. C was doing her part of the show, which was letting the bird (Harris hawk) Chase after a fluffy training toy on the lead. She said, "there is a special lady who's birthday is today- can she please come here!" I was delighted because she meant me. I went up. she let me race down the grass whilst the bird chased me when I had the toy.
Last but not least- C gave me a free keyring of a peregrine falcon!
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ

β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
β”–β”β”β”β”β”β”β”β—„β—„β”β”š
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:39 pm

@ polarbears:
that sounds like an extrem great day with lots of fun and nice moments :D hope you got many pics of this day^^
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me