Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Postby Star_Bun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:40 am

Luzien wrote:
Star_Bun wrote:-snip-
On a different note some girl posted in a rehoming group on fb saying she needs to “get rid” of her rabbit and she’s been keeping it in a FISH TANK. It boils my blood to think about it, she even lied about it when I asked saying it wasn’t when there are photos of it living in the tank on her page. I called animal control but they can’t do anything without an exact address sadly... all I can do is hope whoever buys the rabbit from her will take better care of the port thing...

was this a big fish tank?
when it was made good for raabbit or such use, then it could be not bad....because i did see some who had a great cage made in them with two or three areas and places to hide and jump up....ramp to the different Level or hut made to stairs....one area mostly for feeding one for sleeping and the othere was playing i think, they where way bigger with much more space then most normal rabbit cages...and they had a rabbit run outside for them so they could run in the grass with a rabbit hut for spring-summer.

It looked to be a 60 gal maybe but the bunny only had room to hop back and forth the long ways once or twice and there was no way he’d have air flow. It’s a respiratory infection waiting to happen because rabbits have very delicate lungs. On top of that they had a dust(or sand??) bath in there???? Everything in the rabbits tank looked like they just decided to use an old tank and supplies for a turtle or bearded dragon. It had nothing for bedding except a towel which looked chewed to pieces and nothing for it to use as a hidey house. Cages are one thing and I understand they can be made really well but a fishtank will never be proper for any small animal(well hamsters and gerbils seem to do well in large enough and properly set up ones) as most can get respiratory infections from it very easily.

███████████████
███████████████
███████████████

Hi ! I'm star_bun, but call me star < 3
I'm always open to PM's and making
new friends !
avi and signature art by
nervousdog

███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
Star_Bun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:56 am

there where no wire build in or holes for air flow...? that all sounds sad and not good at all..hope it found nice new owner and got big cage soon..
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Star_Bun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:11 am

Luzien wrote:there where no wire build in or holes for air flow...? that all sounds sad and not good at all..hope it found nice new owner and got big cage soon..

Nope, just a plain old fishtank. The lid was a wire lid but even then it only had wire in the center and not the whole thing... I do hope the rabbit gets a new and better home since the people are rehoming the rabbit. They were most likely just an Easter bunny which is saddening. I’d take them if I had the money and space for another rabbit but also wouldn’t want to give the person getting rid of her any money for the “rehoming fee”. On the bright side some people are offering to take it so it may not be in that situation for much longer

███████████████
███████████████
███████████████

new friends !
avi and signature art by
nervousdog

███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
Star_Bun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Maniic! » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:16 am

i have this rabbit and he is kinda scared because our neighbours dog broke into our garden and almost killed him,, he's a bit better but clearly still a tad traumatised, also he keeps going under our sofa idek he's an outdoors rabbit but we let him invade sometimes but he just sneaks under the sofa, does a whazz and comes out again to be our friend, anyone got any tips for stopping him going under the sofa. it bothers me. the house smells of rabbit whazz.
Maniic!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raire » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:30 am

Luzien wrote:was this a big fish tank?
when it was made good for raabbit or such use, then it could be not bad....because i did see some who had a great cage made in them with two or three areas and places to hide and jump up....ramp to the different Level or hut made to stairs....one area mostly for feeding one for sleeping and the othere was playing i think, they where way bigger with much more space then most normal rabbit cages...and they had a rabbit run outside for them so they could run in the grass with a rabbit hut for spring-summer.

A fish tank... for bunnies?
Even if it's for huge fishes, that's still... errr... for one, glass is way too slippery for bunnies anyway, why changing a fish tank into something that bunnies could potentially live in? Just... buy something else? Out of wood maybe? ^^;
I'm not very convinced that this is a good idea even though I've never seen what you described. =|
_________ Image

# If you have any question or problem, please send us a help ticket

:: avatar picture by Tanja Askani :: signature by Jayfrost ::
Raire
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:29 am

I'm sure you could make an ok bunny cage out of a tank of it was GIANT and had a fleece blankets on bottom, along with toys, hide houses and such. But the way their tank/cage was described sounds awful!!
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Star_Bun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:20 am

@mapleshade
I think at that point it’d be easier and cheaper to free roam or make a c+c grid cage! Tanks a very expensive, and getting one that’d be even close to okay for a rabbit would be ridiculously overpriced. Jut not a good idea in general.

@Ace!
Bunnies like to hide in and under things! You could always put c+c grid or a play pen around the couch and give him a few boxes with holes the size of his head (at least two holes each on a diff side of the box) so he can be encouraged to hide in them instead.the only way you’ll get him to stop peeing/spray would be to get his neutered and litter trained if he’s not already litter trained. It’s probably a territorial thing and won’t be easily stopped unless he’s fixed.

(Also sorry for posting sooooo much in here, I just have a lot of free time and am borderline obsessed with rabbits)

███████████████
███████████████
███████████████

new friends !
avi and signature art by
nervousdog

███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
Star_Bun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skinklegs » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:34 am

Re: bunny in a fish tank, even big 100+ gal fish tanks tend to be very narrow bc they're meant to go up against a wall and not jut out so far as to be inconvenient to have in the home. Even if it was a big fish tank, I imagine bunny would feel really cramped in such a narrow space, even if they could get a good three or more hops in lengthwise. Ventilation is a whole nother can of worms. Plus price, like @Star_Bun said. I bought my bunnies' two 30" x 60" c&c cages for less than $100 a pop. I work in a pet store, and our 120 gallon tanks (18" x 60") are almost $700.

I guess you could use a fish tank with some heavy modifications if you really wanted to, but like.....why?

trades . . art shop . . buying art

pls check out my art and
ocs on my
toyhouse!

art on the left is mine;
pixels were done by
soteria;
skinkarms!

flight rising . . rp search . . friend
Image....................Image
suh.

call me ollie. i'll respond to whatever
pronouns you feel like using for me!

i tend not to spend a whole lot of time
here nowadays, but i'll still be around
to take care of messages, trades, and
whatever else i might get myself into!

ask for my discord to keep in touch.

Image....................Image
skinklegs

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby acadicus » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:40 am

on the fish tank matter - though someone might be able to pull it off with a ton of changes to the fish tank, but why not just close off a room with a dog fence? anyways, best of luck to the poor bun. i hope they can find a kind home that will take care of them properly ;l
acadicus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Atlas~ » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:56 am

Ace! wrote:i have this rabbit and he is kinda scared because our neighbours dog broke into our garden and almost killed him,, he's a bit better but clearly still a tad traumatised, also he keeps going under our sofa idek he's an outdoors rabbit but we let him invade sometimes but he just sneaks under the sofa, does a whazz and comes out again to be our friend, anyone got any tips for stopping him going under the sofa. it bothers me. the house smells of rabbit whazz.

Aww poor baby! If your neighbor's dog got in once, idk I'd bring him inside from now on. When you keep them outside they're wayyy less friendly and social! Bunnies can be potty trained and the smell isn't bad as long as you keep up with cleaning the litter box. My bunny has never peed outside of his box and he learned really quick!

As for keeping it from under the couch, it might be a safe space for him. Bunnies are crepuscular, so they're most active during the morning and evening -- they usually like to chill, sleep and hide in the afternoon. If you want to interact with him more, try playing with him during those times! Remember to always let him come to you tho, don't force yourself on him bc you could scare him more. If you don't want him going under the couch, you could always block it off! But if you wanna give him a safe place to chill, letting him go under there every now and the is probs a good thing.
..Image
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
thosethosethose
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♥ who..pale ♥
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
inyourinyour
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
╔═════════════════╗