Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Postby Burrito Bunny » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:35 pm

ToxicHeaven wrote:I have a question for anyone who can offer some help.

After getting him I regularly go into his area and pet him and once every day or few I give him a treat so he is not spoiled. But lately when I go up to him he sniffs at my hand dodging pets and If I don't have a treat he bites, claws or kicks at me. I don't know what could have started the tantrums he even runs around kicking things if he doesn't get a treat.

tips? anything?

How old is the bun? Sometimes young rabbits will go through a "rebellious teen" phase where they become less cuddly. The moody behavior goes away when they mature. My little girl had her phase at around 5 or 6 months if I remember right.

If possible, getting the rabbit fixed if you haven't done so already may help these behaviors die down. Additionally, I would recommend more socializing than a pet once a day, especially if it's young. More contact helps form a better bond and makes the bunny more confident around humans.

It may also be how you are approaching the rabbit. Coming straight down on it while looming above the bun can be scary, since it's like an attack from above. Also, putting your hand down on the floor under its nose (like you would to a dog) can be misinterpreted as you trying to show dominance over the rabbit, since in their own little rabbit language placing the head down bellow another rabbit is a request to be groomed. This may offend them, and cause them to show you that you are not the boss bunny (Which is fine; you are in fact not a bunny, and the relationship you have is not dominate>subordinate. Later on you may find your rabbit may lick your hand in respect though, if your bond is strong.)

Also, do you pick the rabbit up a lot? Rabbits usually don't like being lifted so if you do that all the time it might think you're a little scary, and try to run away to avoid the disliked experience. Perhaps just try sitting with the rabbit in an enclosure and wait for its curious nature to cause your bunny to hop over to you. I find the like best being pet on the forehead.
Burrito Bunny
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ToxicHeaven » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:44 pm

He is 4 months old not fixed yet but planning to get it done soon normally when I go in with him I sit on my knees and spend an hour or so just sitting with him tho I can't do that currently with him biting and kicking at me. I don't pick him up tho when I could pet him he didn't mind me putting my hand under his belly as I wanted him to get used to me before trying to.

He is nice to my fiancé and my cats(he actually really loves my youngest cat) it seems to be me he has a problem with while I am the one spending the most time with him. I am not sure what I could have done I have never hit him or anything.
ToxicHeaven

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sir stingray. » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:47 pm

I have a question

So, I've had this lop for about a year maybe a year and a half, and she's been vibrating her leg. I have no clue what it means and would like some help
sir stingray.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FayrinPhoenix » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:48 pm

So today I had just upgraded my rabbit's cage. She's a giant checkered rabbit, about a year old. Her name is Uno! Her old cage was fairly big and I could see what she was doing from my bed. The thing is, with this cage I can't exactly always see her because one of the walls of the cage is wooden and not bars or anything. I would always watch her do whatever bunnies do, and she would also sit there and watch me. I can't turn the cage because it wouldn't fit properly if I did. I'm just a bit bummed out because I can't see her with the wooden wall. But the good side of this is that she has a nice place to hide, which I'm quite happy about. Uno is a pretty big girl, even though the pet owner said she was mixed, and would only get about half the size that she is now. (I bet they lied to get me to adopt her to be completely honest) But I'm very glad that we did adopt her c: she may be troublesome but she can be the sweetest thing when you pet her in the right spot. She doesn't lick or 'groom' any of my family besides me, which makes me feel kinda special haha. Uno is my child, so I of course want the best for her. When we first got her settled into the cage she seemed a little iffy about it, but after like 20 minutes I finally managed to get her to lay down and eat some hay. I swear she can act like a puppy sometimes.

━━━━━
    flightrising
    the name's fay!
    i'm a very friendly
    girl with a love for
    pokemon, drawing, and
    games.
    i'm a trombone player.
    i also love ramen.
    credit

━━━━━

FayrinPhoenix

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yetzali » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:59 am

x
      i think my rabbit is either deaf or just a really extremely deep sleeper, maybe both! he looks dead when he sleeps, you can bang on the side of his cage (it's made of steel, so it's pretty loud) and it won't even wake him up. one time he looked more dead than usual, so my mom poked him to see if he was okay and he didn't move. but the second time she did it he woke up and was extremely clueless to what's going on !! that happens all the time, he's awful.

anyway, i was wondering what any of you give your rabbit/s to chew on to help wear their teeth down? i've heard that branches from apple trees are a nice option, but i'm just looking for more ideas. thanks!
yetzali

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:26 pm

방탄소년단 wrote:
      x
      i think my rabbit is either deaf or just a really extremely deep sleeper, maybe both! he looks dead when he sleeps, you can bang on the side of his cage (it's made of steel, so it's pretty loud) and it won't even wake him up. one time he looked more dead than usual, so my mom poked him to see if he was okay and he didn't move. but the second time she did it he woke up and was extremely clueless to what's going on !! that happens all the time, he's awful.

anyway, i was wondering what any of you give your rabbit/s to chew on to help wear their teeth down? i've heard that branches from apple trees are a nice option, but i'm just looking for more ideas. thanks!

Welp, to the question, small branches are good too c:. Also wooden bird toys, they're nice :D
Hay also wears their teeth down if you give enough of it to him a day. :| ;) :)
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Mean Kitty » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:24 pm

Eyyyy I ain't been here in forever. But I wanted to pop in and say I got a new breed today! Continental Giants! Honestly the sweetest rabbits out of the thousands I've encountered. I want 50 now. Okay not really but you know. 😂

On another note. Thought I'd share a picture of one of the newest keepers from a Harlequin litter! Meet this sassy boy, known as Rootbeer Float!
cs.jpg
cs.jpg (157.68 KiB) Viewed 34 times

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mods: My nieces are Kaylee197 and Rosie197. We sometimes share an IP.
The Mean Kitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Burrito Bunny » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:20 pm

@The Mean Kitty

What a pretty bun omg! Super super cute ^^
Burrito Bunny
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:11 am

Hello rabbit owners.

I've been debating whether or not I want to get a bun.
      I know they require a lot of space and I've done my research, but the smell is what I'm worried about. I've been told that they are one of the most stinky pets to own. Is this true?

I own rats and they only get stinky when a cage clean is needed. Other than that, there is no smell. I have severe allergies and the stickiness does not bode well with me. I also cannot use Aspen or any wood shavings, but I would want to have my bunny free ranged in a room anyway.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:09 am

King Kakashi wrote:
      Hello rabbit owners.

I've been debating whether or not I want to get a bun.
      I know they require a lot of space and I've done my research, but the smell is what I'm worried about. I've been told that they are one of the most stinky pets to own. Is this true?

I own rats and they only get stinky when a cage clean is needed. Other than that, there is no smell. I have severe allergies and the stickiness does not bode well with me. I also cannot use Aspen or any wood shavings, but I would want to have my bunny free ranged in a room anyway.

well to start I'll address the stink - I clean out my 2 cages (in the same room) at least once a week, sometimes two. One good clean on Sunday and then another quick one on Thursday.
To be frank I've never noticed my rabbits stink? And yes I own two rats and when their cage needs cleaned it does emit an odor.
I don't know if it's maybe just the way I house my Rex kiddos
But I've never had issues with smell. They have my whole room, without a bed or anything, just a plain room filled half with fleece blanket and two separate sleeping areas and two litter boxes- oh yes, litter boxes with proper litter(preferably not cat) because some buns try to eat it and it expands in their stomach, really reduce smell. I also wash their blankets weekly to get rid of any 'accidents' that could've happened on them.

I also understand that if your male rabbit is not fixed he can be a bit smellier.
Understand most rabbit, unless there is a medical condition-
have odorless fur and they fastidiously groom themselves all day. Only their urine smells so as long as you keep their living area clean you really should t have any smell issues.
Overall I would say it's not very true, in fact I'd say my dog smells worse than my three rabbits put together
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me