Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Postby Raire » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:01 am

skinklegs wrote:
    @Jun. My rabbits are conditioned to expect treats at bedtime and will run to one specific part of their cage to receive them. Using a treat would probably work really well, but it might take some time to get him to expect the treat at a certain time. If you put him to bed at the same time you go to bed, it's easier. He'll learn to recognize your nighttime routine (like changing clothes) and figure out that that means it's treat time, and he'll go to the spot where he knows he gets the treat.

That's how my rabbits are, anyway! They know when I put my pajamas on, it's time for papaya.

Same for mine, they judge me very hard when I'm too late for their dinner. Sometimes they try to trick me by sitting in their spot earlier than usual... fools, I have a clock, I know it's not dinner time yet!!

They also know which spot and/or which sound is for treats.
Instead of a command, I just make a certain sound which tells them it is t r e a t t i m e.

That watermelon treat is a good idea, I'm too lazy for that though *lol* Just put watermelon in the fridge, it's cool enough and then i put a few pieces on top of their food. :3
_________ Image

# If you have any question or problem, please send us a help ticket

:: avatar picture by Tanja Askani :: signature by Jayfrost ::
Raire
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Star_Bun » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:43 am

Ugh having a toddler and a rabbit is a nightmare!! My son decided to bring his bowl of cereal (luckily it was just cereal with no milk) and dump it in front of the door of the rabbits room so Curie could munch on some rice chex πŸ˜‚πŸ™„ I’m glad he likes to share and loves the bun bun but I wish they didn’t conspire against me to share snacks!!!!
I’ve also recently had a problem with Curie peeing on my bed. It’s happened three days in a row now and it’s only ever when I’m sitting on my bed with her. She’s normally very good with her litter training and never has accidents so I think she’s peeing on the bed on purpose. Again, she doesn’t pee any where but her litter box when I’m not in the room but once I’m in the and on the bed she’ll eventually get up and try to pee on it after a little.
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ

Hi ! I'm star_bun, but call me star < 3
I'm always open to PM's and making
new friends !
avi and signature art by
nervousdog

Star_Bun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jun. » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:14 am

these two are so freaking adorable
Yo, I'm Jun--I'm into cats
pomeranians and kpop
β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬
β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘
β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬β–¬
DA
Currently listening to:
DPR Ian
Jun.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fluffycat6 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:40 am

There’s a stray domestic rabbit that lives by my house. He’s been there for a couple months and seems to be doing fine. I’ve tried to catch him many times and she’s too clever, so I’m thinking of getting a live trap. But my family says I should leave him because he’s happy out there and would be sad confined to a house, and now I’m not to sure if I should. What do you guys think?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image please click!
fluffycat6

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:51 am

fluffycat6 wrote:There’s a stray domestic rabbit that lives by my house. He’s been there for a couple months and seems to be doing fine. I’ve tried to catch him many times and she’s too clever, so I’m thinking of getting a live trap. But my family says I should leave him because he’s happy out there and would be sad confined to a house, and now I’m not to sure if I should. What do you guys think?

If your sure he's a pet, I don't think he should be living on her own. I would try catching him but maybe make an outdoor pen, just so he's not eaten... But, on the other hand, because he's been there for months he is used to being in the wilderness. I think it's up to you whatever feels right considering everything. Sorry I couldn't help much!
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Star_Bun » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:05 pm

M A P L E S H A D E wrote:
fluffycat6 wrote:There’s a stray domestic rabbit that lives by my house. He’s been there for a couple months and seems to be doing fine. I’ve tried to catch him many times and she’s too clever, so I’m thinking of getting a live trap. But my family says I should leave him because he’s happy out there and would be sad confined to a house, and now I’m not to sure if I should. What do you guys think?

If your sure he's a pet, I don't think he should be living on her own. I would try catching him but maybe make an outdoor pen, just so he's not eaten... But, on the other hand, because he's been there for months he is used to being in the wilderness. I think it's up to you whatever feels right considering everything. Sorry I couldn't help much!

The rabbit definitely NEEDS to be caught! If you can’t catch it then please call a near by rabbit rescue or animal control. It may look happy but I can guarantee you it is suffering. Without hay it cannot properly ground it’s teeth down and they must be overgrown. They are prone to mites especially in the ears, and fleas can kill them! The rabbit is not happy, it’s scared and hungry. Think of it as if it were a stray dog, it may be surviving but it’d actually be much happier in a warm, dry, and safe home.
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ

Hi ! I'm star_bun, but call me star < 3
I'm always open to PM's and making
new friends !
avi and signature art by
nervousdog

Star_Bun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby acadicus » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:25 pm

domesticated rabbits are not wild rabbits or hares. it could get things like flystrike, a dangerous condition that can kill a rabbit, and it's pretty much not going to be getting the right foods to live a healthy, happy life. what @Star_Bun said is right too. so please do try to catch it, or get someone to catch it for you!
acadicus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fluffycat6 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:16 pm

Thanks guys I’m gonna pick up a used box trap tomorrow and hope for the best. Stray bunnies are a big problem in many neighbourhoods in my city, but I’ve never seen one in my neighbourhood before. Because there are so many of them the humane society doesn’t have the resources to catch them unless they’re injured. He doesn’t seem hungry at all, when I try to lure him over with food he’s not overly interested which makes sense because there’s so much grass and dandelions out there to eat lol.

I think the hares kicked him out of the field he used to live in so he now seems to have moved to the park right across the street which is very convenient for me haha.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image please click!
fluffycat6

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby acadicus » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:04 pm

fluffycat6 wrote:Thanks guys I’m gonna pick up a used box trap tomorrow and hope for the best. Stray bunnies are a big problem in many neighbourhoods in my city, but I’ve never seen one in my neighbourhood before. Because there are so many of them the humane society doesn’t have the resources to catch them unless they’re injured. He doesn’t seem hungry at all, when I try to lure him over with food he’s not overly interested which makes sense because there’s so much grass and dandelions out there to eat lol.

I think the hares kicked him out of the field he used to live in so he now seems to have moved to the park right across the street which is very convenient for me haha.

good luck!! ^^
acadicus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nervousdog » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:51 am

Volkswagen is literally the biggest pest in the world omg
First off, he has an iron stomach or something- and I thought rabbits were supposed to be delicate .
He is constantly sneaking around and eating things he shouldn't and making a mess ???
From tv remote buttons to freaking jolly ranchers, anything he can get away with grabbing is ingested and its SOOOO frustrating . Like, little dude, you CAN NOT DIGEST THESE THINGS STOP IT .
Just two minutes ago I was chilling in the living room and heard some noise in the kitchen, I eventually got up only to get coffee ( I assumed my boyfriend was the one making noise in the kitchen ) and what do I see ? My dumb butt rabbit had torn open a PACKET OF RAMEN and was eating it .

He also eats cat food which I absolutely hate him doing . Its to the point where the cat only gets fed when VW goes into his cage and she is conditioned to know that when I lock him up she gets food .

He has also never been sick though ? But fter we get our cat into the vet for her teeth I definitely want to get Volkswagen in for aa good checkup, since I dont have a vet where I currently live and he hasn't been to one since he was neutered .

Okay rant over lol

EDIT : So I had just chased him out of the kitchen and not even five minutes later I go back in and HE HAS GOTTEN INTO A HOT COCOA PACKET . With wet feet from stepping in the water dish . So now his feet are chocolaty .
I am so done . He has just recently started to act up really really bad with getting into things .
I've blocked off the kitchen so he can't get in to it anymore .
aquarius β™‘ 3oh!3 stan β™‘ dog trainer β™‘ 5 . 10 . 20
nervousdog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me