Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Postby triplethesix » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:42 am

hello! i’m a new owner of a lionhead x lop cutie named blu!
    she’s pretty chill and doesn’t mind being held, and i love her already.
    however, she does indeed have the long lionhead fur and i was hoping someone knew a type of bedding that wouldn’t cling to her so much? thanks!

@middy
    what a precious little bun! she’s absolutely adorable <3
triplethesix

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Postby fruity99 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:27 pm

You guys should check this out! https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4004250 it's a super great rabbit site but not a lot of people know about it :)
Image__________________________

Hi! I'm Fruity99, my trading is open.
♚ I LOVE Polaroid!♚
If you like rabbits check here!
https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4004250
fruity99

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby thunderofthedrum » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:38 am

Anyone with a senior bun?

My rabbit is turning 11 this year and I've noticed she sometimes has a little trouble getting her feet underneath her after laying down for a while in her crate (plastic bottom, so I'll hear her little paws sliding as she tries to get them under her). She also seems to have to pay attention more when she jumps into and out of her crate. Does anyone have experience with aging buns? Or suggestions for how to make a ramp (except I don't think she'd want to use a ramp) or other ideas to help her get in and out? She's otherwise in GREAT health and has never been sick or injured aside from a UTI last year that was treated with meds and cleared up smoothly.

Her crate is the typical plastic bottom, wire top cage and is 2' by 4' and 2' high. I'd say the plastic bottom is 6-8" high up the sides. I was considering cutting it down to the bottom below the door so that the ENTIRE side could be on hinges and not just the upper metal part, but I'm reluctant to permanently alter it.

Below is the GENERAL idea of it, except that it's WAY bigger to be a proper size for her.
thunderofthedrum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Burrito Bunny » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:55 am

@drums

Covering the bottom with hay, carpeting, and fabric can help buns get more traction under their paws. If they aren't litter trained you can dump some paper litter in the bottom too. Just make sure any fabrics you put in there aren't hazardous chew on, and make sure it doesn't get too damaged!

As for a ramp/device to help get out, you can build like a little platform in front of the door. It's easier for them to hop up on something and then out than clear the step in one jump.

Burrito Bunny
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nervousdog » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Hi ! I am going on a 14 hour move in a couple days and am wondering what is the best way to keep my rabbit, Volkswagen, comfortable ? I have a plastic carrier for him that I plan to lay a towel in and stuff with some hay, and I also have a harness and leash for him so I have the option to walk him if needed . I am moving from a warm climate into a cold climate, should I put a sweater on him if it’s snowy since he has never seen snow ?? I know he has thick fur, but I just want to make sure he is comfortable . He doesn’t mind car rides but has never been in a car/ held for more than an hour or two . I will attached his water bottle to his carrier, but if worse comes to worse, he knows how to drink when I water him from a straw .
nervousdog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby thunderofthedrum » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Burrito Bunny wrote:@drums

Covering the bottom with hay, carpeting, and fabric can help buns get more traction under their paws. If they aren't litter trained you can dump some paper litter in the bottom too. Just make sure any fabrics you put in there aren't hazardous chew on, and make sure it doesn't get too damaged!

As for a ramp/device to help get out, you can build like a little platform in front of the door. It's easier for them to hop up on something and then out than clear the step in one jump.

Aw, cute little drawing!

Yeah, people who suggest ramps are typically people who have never had a rabbit. xD Walking up a ramp just isn't terribly compatible with their natural gait.

The crate my rabbit lives in is far too large to cover the bottom with anything like litter (it's 8 sq ft) especially as she does have a litterbox. She's had little blankies and cheap, rubber-ish bottomed rugs/mats before and I do keep an eye on the chewing - definitely not my first rodeo there! I've had her for over 10 years and she isn't my first rabbit. Just my first senior!

Here is an actual pic; I only linked it as the image is unedited and therefore large.
https://i.imgur.com/VGabzIP.jpg

On a side note, nice to meet people! It's been a while since I got on CS so I'd like to ask - how many rabbits and what ages do y'all have?
thunderofthedrum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby acadicus » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:49 am

@thunderofthedrum
i currently have one rabbit! sadly, my other has passed away by now. i actually have no idea what ages they are haha, they're adopted and the previous owners didn't specify their ages.
Last edited by acadicus on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
acadicus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:40 pm

Hello everyone! It's been a while. I was in the middle of trying to move out of my parents house the last couple months. I hope everyone is doing well! Sadly, since we've moved, I have been slowly getting rid of my little pets (guinea pigs, tortoise, chinchillas) because there just isn't a good place to put them in the house. We have two small sheds outside though, so I will be able to keep my 3 rabbits! Whoever is left is currently living with my parents, I see them a couple times a week to play help with feeding... it feels so odd to have so many less pets. :/

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian
🐰 Beau . Davey . Juniper . Sorren

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby monsteras. » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:57 am

i'm considering buying a bunny. i have two breeds in mind. french lop and flemish giant.
my question is, how similar are they to guinea pigs? i own three guinea pigs but really want a rabbit as i have wanted one since i wsa young.
monsteras.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:59 am

little.beans wrote:i'm considering buying a bunny. i have two breeds in mind. french lop and flemish giant.
my question is, how similar are they to guinea pigs? i own three guinea pigs but really want a rabbit as i have wanted one since i wsa young.

not alike in any way really....i think^^
they have some different Needs ...need way more bigger cage and large play run...when possible outside :!: lots of healthy leavy Greens an herbs... to move and jump around, they get different food, have differnt health problems....then guinea pigs

https://rabbitpedia.com/french-lop/
https://rabbitpedia.com/flemish-giant/

and flemish giant are realy big ....
wiki: The Flemish Giant rabbit is a very large breed of domestic rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus domesticus), normally considered to be the largest breed of the species. Flemish Giants are a utility breed, and are most commonly bred for fur and meat. The breed is also known for its docile nature and patience in being handled, resulting in the large animals commonly being kept as petsweigh 15 pounds on average, though the biggest ones can weigh up to 22 lb, and the longest one on record (in fact, holding the record for the longest rabbit in the world of any kind), measured about 4 feet 3 inches Long.Flemish Giants can be docile and tolerant of handling; frequent interaction with humans is a requirement for this to occur. Flemish Giants, like all rabbits, can become fearful, and sometimes aggressive, if handled incorrectly or irresponsibly. Their larger frame requires special attention paid to the spine alignment when handling a Flemish Giant, or any rabbit for that matter. Consequently, potential owners should consider these factors in addition to their size, level of food consumption, and substantial waste production before buying.

Due to its large size, the Flemish Giant needs substantial living quarters that provide ample opportunity for physical movement. The House Rabbit Society recommends keeping rabbits inside the home in a very large pen or room(s) in the home. Larger dog crates are often more appropriate than traditional rabbit and small-pet cages, which tend to be smaller and shorter. In the United States Department of Agriculture's standards for animal housing, rabbits over 12 pounds must have at least five square feet of floor space(way more is bether for them and there health!!!). The size of appropriate living quarters increases with size of the rabbit.

Cages with incorrectly sized wire gauge bottoms (as opposed to small gauge wire or solid bottoms) can harm the feet of a Flemish Giant more so than smaller house rabbits due to their increased weight. A resting board may be required to prevent sore hocks for a larger breed rabbit. The Flemish Giant will require larger quantities of food compared to smaller breeds of domestic rabbits. Like some other short hair breeds of rabbits, the Flemish Giant will usually require mild attention to grooming due to its shorter hair. Shedding during the spring and fall transition periods tend to be the most dramatic, with smaller sheds often occurring in between.

Flemish Giants can be fed like other rabbits, with the amount of food increased to match their larger size. ARBA recommendations include hay and occasional treats.

A high protein diet of 16% or more is needed for them to gain bone mass while growing and later when muscle mass develops. Apples, cabbage or broccoli in small amounts can be given as treats and slowly increased. A quarter apple per rabbit every other day for 3 weeks can be increased to a half apple after that. Do not feed the core or seeds to the rabbit. Since Flemish Giants do not reach full size until they are 1.5 years old, they need to be fed a lot until then. When females have babies and during winter, they need to be fed as much as they can eat, and given plenty of water.

In supplementing a commercial diet, care must be taken to avoid excess protein, calories, and minerals such as salt and calcium, which in excess can cause kidney stones. Overfeeding leading to obesity is a major health concern for both commercial and pet rabbits.

The House Rabbit Society recommends 2 cups of chopped leafy vegetables per 6 pounds (3 kg) of body weight and no more than 2 tablespoons of fruit or carrots per 6 pounds of body weight daily

French Lop
4.5 kilograms (9.9 lb), it has an average lifespan of five years,
Due to their relatively larger size in comparison to other breeds, the French Lop may require a large hutch/run to move around freely. They fare well in both outdoor and indoor cages but keep in mind they are still rabbits and not dogs; they will chew and you need to bunny proof. They are known to have a placid and relaxed temperament, and can tolerate other species. When socialized well at a young age they are a wonderful family pet, and are very gentle with children. However, French Lops are not for the first-time rabbit owner because they are very large and can be hard to handle. They have very strong back legs, and can cause injury without meaning to, so care should be taken.
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me