🐚 Crustacean Talk!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: 🐚 Crustacean Talk!

Postby Autumnlp99 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:01 pm

PeachFuzz wrote:
If they're always underground I'd be concerned that there's something not right in the tank environment. Hermit crabs will often bury themselves if the temperature or humidity isn't right.

Mine are Halloween Moon crabs, a bit different, but still similar, so you could be possibly right.
My temp is always around 80 degrees fahrenheit, and my humidity is usually around 90.
They have over half of the tank which is a 45 gallon filled with a half eco earth and half sand mixture, along with both a salt water and freshwater pools, with bamboo growing in the freshwater one.
Both are deep enough to where they can be completely submerged with a way to climb out.
I'm not sure what could be wrong with my setup, but if you have any critiques I'd love to hear them so I can change things!
I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 11 people.
I have received 11 gifts.

Autumnlp99

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Autumnlp99 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:48 pm

Well, I'm upset >~<
I just got home and walked into my bedroom, first thing I see is that both my crabs are out, I look closer, and one was eating the other.
I literally have no idea why my other crab would do this, they have more then enough room, proper temps and humidity, plus, I literally give them a bowl of fresh food every day.
Now I only have one crab as the other one is clearly dead, and I don't know what to do, if the other really did kill the other then it probably wouldn't be a good idea to get it more friends, even though they're social, but, for all I know the other could have passed before then the other decided it's dead corpse would be a good snack.
Any advice?
I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 11 people.

Autumnlp99

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pinkie gal » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Hello... I'm thinking about getting a hermit crab! How big must the tank be? I want small hermit crabs <3
< Adoptables! >

-= My Babies Down Below <3 =-

pinkie gal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:18 pm

GALAXEH wrote:Hello... I'm thinking about getting a hermit crab! How big must the tank be? I want small hermit crabs <3

I would recommend 20 gallons as a starting size. I had my crabs in a 10 gallon when I first got them and they did alright but it didn't give them much space to explore and dig. 20 gallons gives you room for lots of substrate, some cool climbing toys, and a small group of crabs.
Small hermit crabs grow into big hermit crabs! If your hermit crabs thrive you'll eventually be looking at 50+ gallons so keep that in mind. Starting with the largest tank you can get now will reduce the possibility of problems down the road where you may not be able to afford a tank upgrade when it's needed.
I suggest checking out the Hermit Crab Association forum for care guides and advice c:
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pinkie gal » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:23 pm

I just wanted a 10 gallon, I know that its enough, but how much is a 10 gallon and how long is it in centermetres?
< Adoptables! >

pinkie gal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:43 pm

GALAXEH wrote:I just wanted a 10 gallon, I know that its enough, but how much is a 10 gallon and how long is it in centermetres?

I have to ask, if you're going to get a 10 gallon no matter what why did you ask what the tank size requirement is?
A 10 gallon tank is 50.8 cm in length.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pinkie gal » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:52 pm

I wanted see if I had valid information, since I watch videos that always conflict each other, and with having no help from friends, who just give me random videos to watch.
< Adoptables! >

pinkie gal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:06 pm

GALAXEH wrote:I wanted see if I had valid information, since I watch videos that always conflict each other, and with having no help from friends, who just give me random videos to watch.

Well like I said, I really do recommend starting with a 20 gallon. And think about where you'll be and what your financial and living situation may be ten or twenty years down the line. Hermit crabs, like any pet, are a large commitment and you just want to make sure you're prepared for that.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:39 pm

My sister once got a hermit crab for her birthday, something like Campbell or Archie or something, but he/she died... It was while he had no shell, and was gwtting into his new one.. :(

We still have everything FOR a hermit crab, though :3
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Autumnlp99 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Heyo guys
Haven't posted here in a bit
Still have the one moon crab, moved him out of his 50g to a 20g until I get him more friends, I've been meaning to, but everywhere I go has quite tiny moon crabs, while he's about the size of my hand and I don't trust him to not eat them at that size.
I do have some more crabs though, just got a trio of purple pincher hermit crabs, actually got them at the last expo I went to, I impulse bought them since they were both incredibly cheap and were in a bone dry container with purple calcium sand (yuck)
Right now they're in a 10g, but I'm going to move them into a rather large storage bin soon.
I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 11 people.

Autumnlp99

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me