Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby darkbay » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:12 pm

[/quote]
i would talk to your vet, he will likley suckle on things for the rest of his life as he is away from his mother to early (my 7 month old kitten suckles) only thing i can think of it maybe puting somthing on his brother that wont harm them but isnt very tasty or somthing they dont like the smell of, my girl loved a blanket but after i washed it she refuses to use it.

another thing could be giving him a toy and try to redirect the kitten to it when it starts,[/quote]

You can't really redirect a two week old, they just go back to what they were doing.
The sock doesn't work. The offending kitten pulled it off and almost suffocated himself,even that didn't stop him.
darkbay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ohcrow » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:12 pm

darkbay wrote:Hi, I have 2 two week old foster kittens. One of them is constantly suckling his brothers umm... Nether regions.
It is seriously drying out the kittens skin and starting to cause injuries. How can I stop him from suckling? I don't think that separation is the solution because then they will scream all the time and I have some family members that will literally chuck them out the window. I will separate them if I have no choice.
Anyone have a solution to this problem that will keep them together?

Definitely talk to your vet. Inappropriate suckling can cause permanent damage to the other kittens and needs taken care of quickly as possible. A foster mom that I follow on Instagram used crocheted vests, but you'd probably have to buy them from ebay or something like that. If, as mentioned in the last post, he pulls if off and etc, you probably need to seperate him from the other kittens or see if you can find another foster to take him. Unfortunately, suckling like this can cause serious and life threatening damage. Here's what the foster mom used. If you can't find them online, you may want to contact her directly - this is all the help I can give on the topic ;v; Hope the situation improves! (they're absolutely adorable, btw. I have kitten fever now.)

and all i lov'd -

they/he/ae | EST

- i lov'd alone.

sig decals
ohcrow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby darkbay » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:14 pm

MissHedgehog wrote:
darkbay wrote:Hi, I have 2 two week old foster kittens. One of them is constantly suckling his brothers umm... Nether regions.
It is seriously drying out the kittens skin and starting to cause injuries. How can I stop him from suckling? I don't think that separation is the solution because then they will scream all the time and I have some family members that will literally chuck them out the window. I will separate them if I have no choice.
Anyone have a solution to this problem that will keep them together?

Definitely talk to your vet. Inappropriate suckling can cause permanent damage to the other kittens and needs taken care of quickly as possible. A foster mom that I follow on Instagram used crocheted vests, but you'd probably have to buy them from ebay or something like that. If, as mentioned in the last post, he pulls if off and etc, you probably need to seperate him from the other kittens or see if you can find another foster to take him. Unfortunately, suckling like this can cause serious and life threatening damage. Here's what the foster mom used. If you can't find them online, you may want to contact her directly - this is all the help I can give on the topic ;v; Hope the situation improves! (they're absolutely adorable, btw. I have kitten fever now.)

Haha, sorry about that, didn't mean to infect you.
I live in israel so that means two things:
A) anything I order online will take at least thirty days to get here.
B) there are no other fosters, fun fact: israel is home to two million unwanted street cats. There are a few good people out there that are fostering, but most of them have at least 20 kittens and anymore would turn into hoarding. So no other fosters.
C) there are no rescues that take neonates and about two that take cats- they usually house up to twenty cats and you will need to pay for all their food and treatment. am not fostering through a rescue because there are no rescues, the all say to put neonates to sleep. Cats are treated worse than dirt here. I am also not fostering because I want to, I am doing it because if I didn't these poor kittens would have either died of heatstroke or been run over on the bike path some kids probably dumped them on.

This is the post on facebook:

Basically some guy was riding his bike, saw three kittens one was run over, he moved the other two to a patch of dirt near the path (in the sun on a 40 degree day) and left them.

In the post there was a video of one of them just panting. I tried to ignore it but I just couldn't.

Update: I separated them and they are going to the vet tomorrow.
darkbay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby darkbay » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:51 pm

They were at the vet. She said that they look really strong and healthy and that separating them is the only solution but that they should have dome supervised playtime after they eat. She also gave me a cream for the kitten that was suckled on.

I think that his name should be Dobby. The ears!!
darkbay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby chalant » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:15 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Hello! I've never known for sure what breed my cat was, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what breed she is? If you need any more details just let me know!! Thanks! (:
╔══════════
" why, be as chalant
⤹ hey! I'm chalant.
editing, comics,
art, superheroes ⤴︎

xxxas you like..! "

chalant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ohcrow » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:54 pm

darkbay wrote:They were at the vet. She said that they look really strong and healthy and that separating them is the only solution but that they should have dome supervised playtime after they eat. She also gave me a cream for the kitten that was suckled on.

-snip-
I think that his name should be Dobby. The ears!!
-snip-
-snip-

That's great! keep us updated, i'd love to hear how he's doing.
I love the name, too!

and all i lov'd -

they/he/ae | EST

- i lov'd alone.

sig decals
ohcrow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:20 am

chalant wrote:-snip-
Hello! I've never known for sure what breed my cat was, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what breed she is? If you need any more details just let me know!! Thanks! (:

Like Birb said, she's more than likely a mixed-breed, probably an American shorthair mixed with any number of other breeds. If you want to know what her color pattern is called, though, she seems to be a tabby-tortoiseshell.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Michael's Fan. » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:41 am

Here's my cat named Mr. Wilfred! (Commonly known as Wilfred,).
We named him that because he has a mustache like Wilford Brimley.
He is soooo cute, and he is always purring.
He gets excited everytime I open the fridge because fridge = tuna time or milk ROFL.
Michael's Fan.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rosemoon » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:38 am

Omg so many cute cats...
Here's an odd question. And despite how it might sound it's not actually health related, it's just that the background info is probably needed to avoid concern and confusion.
My eldest cat had a cyst a while back and recently she gave birth to a single kitten who managed to open up the old wound a bit. There was some minor bleeding that I was able to clean up and fix HOWEVER, the kitten was feeding next to the wound and has managed to get a little blood on her cheeks. She's pure white with a single grey spot on top of her head and I haven't seen my cat attempt to clean her face just yet, so if she doesn't eventually... How do I safely and carefully clean her face up? She's about 3 weeks or so now going on to 4 weeks soon and she already looks like a tiny cannibal with her poor little red cheeks ;w;
Her name is Spooks and I'm only guessing that she's a girl for now, I originally thought she was a boy but new evidence is surfacing to reveal that that was probably inaccurate haha.
Rosemoon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rodney » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:46 am

I just thought I'd share a quick pick of my cats first born kitten that came into the world this morning! This morning I woke up to find my sweet cat Clover had given birth right beside me in bed. I had to leave for therapy but I know theres more kittens on the way as I could still feel them in her stomach and she was still having contractions. I am happy to keep y'all posted if you want!

If anyone has any tips for caring for newborn kittens please let me know, as this is my first time. I am aware the mother cat does most of the work :) I've watched many videos and read many things on the internet about this but it helps to hear it from actual people
Attachments
20180720_063809.jpg
20180720_063809.jpg (413.01 KiB) Viewed 105 times

adult • they/them • returning player
rodney

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me