Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby pizzas and scream » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:31 am

is baking soda and vinager really all I need to use when Gary poops to difuse the oder? his poop is often foul smelling from what could be IBS. everything we have could be dangerous to him.
LF pet to be ||Kimmy Shmit|Roy Mustang||Ban Midou|jason mendoza(the good place)|maes hughes|Krylancelo Finrandi|
-----------------------------
older than an embryo
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
pizzas and scream

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mierose » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:54 pm

Faffy the FauxFox wrote:is baking soda and vinager really all I need to use when Gary poops to difuse the oder? his poop is often foul smelling from what could be IBS. everything we have could be dangerous to him.

I don’t have enough experience with that sort of thing to give any particular advice, but I’ve been on this earth long enough to know that you definitely shouldn’t mix vinegar and baking soda. Separately, I’m not sure.
THE. SECRET. OF. LIFE. IS. TO. KEEP. LOOKING. UP

MickiJayGonny
KiffKnightDimi

Call me mier or rose | She/her | Lesbian | Sagittarius

Buttermilks

. .. .
mierose

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ishnawababa » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:18 am

Have any of you guys watched Kitten Lady (Hannah Shaw) on youtube? She posts tons of educational videos on fostering kittens and they're super cute to watch! She has inspired me to foster when I'm living in a place where I'm able to have pets
Ishnawababa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~ moth ~ » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:29 am

Ishnawababa wrote:Have any of you guys watched Kitten Lady (Hannah Shaw) on youtube? She posts tons of educational videos on fostering kittens and they're super cute to watch! She has inspired me to foster when I'm living in a place where I'm able to have pets

ooh yes! i love her videos. she's also inspired me to foster cats when i'm able to myself

╰ ⋯ how the most dangerous thing . • ⊹ ╮

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⋯ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ◂ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⋯⠀⠀⠀ ⠀ ↼╯
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀╰ is to love -

. • adrien - adult - they / he / she - aroace ⋆ ╮

╰ ⋯ how you will heal and rise above . • ⊹

───────────────────────────────────────────
x▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ╮

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⋮

. - • crowned by an overture ↼╯
bold and beyond . • ⋆

╰ ⋯ ah, it’s more courageous to ⋆
▸ — overcome ⊹ .

──────────────────────────

~ moth ~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mierose » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:05 pm

Ishnawababa wrote:Have any of you guys watched Kitten Lady (Hannah Shaw) on youtube? She posts tons of educational videos on fostering kittens and they're super cute to watch! She has inspired me to foster when I'm living in a place where I'm able to have pets

I do! She inspired me to foster kittens alongside a few other rescue advocates, and it’s now what I spend my time doing. We’ll be cutting down to just a few kittens for the holidays as our guest room won’t be available and we’ll be limited to dog crates, but fostering is fostering and I love it <3

MickiJayGonny
KiffKnightDimi

Buttermilks

. .. .
mierose

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ishnawababa » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:22 pm

I bought her book, it covers everything you could ever need to know. I can't wait to be able to foster kittens. I don't sleep through the night anyways, so I might as well feed some bottle babies and save lives in the process!
Ishnawababa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mierose » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:01 pm

Ishnawababa wrote:I bought her book, it covers everything you could ever need to know. I can't wait to be able to foster kittens. I don't sleep through the night anyways, so I might as well feed some bottle babies and save lives in the process!

Isn’t that book the greatest? I’ve gone to a book signing and meeting her and talking about kitten things was just the best. I refer to that book as my “kitten fostering bible”.

MickiJayGonny
KiffKnightDimi

Buttermilks

. .. .
mierose

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby catful » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:27 am

hello! first time posting here, i would appreciate a little help with my situation.

my family is considering getting me a cat for Christmas, but only if i answer their questions or problems with actually keeping the cat indoors. you see, we can keep it outdoors since we have a backyard, which is what they suggested if they will get me one, but I am completely against that thought.I don't believe it is safe at all, especially if they're not supervised every minute. it's really easy to climb and get out on the street for a cat, and I can't care for it properly if they're always around danger.

would anyone be able to help me answer these questions and possibly find a solution? I absolutely love cats with all my heart, and would do anything to keep one.

the main problem for my family is 'the smell'. basically the litter box smell. is it really that bad? and if it is, would getting a different shaped litter reduce it? or is there anything that can get rid of the smell? this always comes in discussion when talking about pets.

my family says that cats can climb on the table when we're not looking or when we're not home. is this actually true? i've never met someone that said their cat steals food or climbs on the kitchen table. has it happened to anyone, and if it did, is it possible to stop the cat from doing this? i've researched a lot but couldn't find something quite accurate about this.

and lastly, could i get some advice for convincing them? such as telling them something, or things like that.

thanks for any help or advice!

IKEA Chicken Meatballs , served with mashed potatoes, cream sauce, lingonberry jam and green peas for $8
:3
catful

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby coppercanary » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:20 am

catful wrote:hello! first time posting here, i would appreciate a little help with my situation.

my family is considering getting me a cat for Christmas, but only if i answer their questions or problems with actually keeping the cat indoors. you see, we can keep it outdoors since we have a backyard, which is what they suggested if they will get me one, but I am completely against that thought.I don't believe it is safe at all, especially if they're not supervised every minute. it's really easy to climb and get out on the street for a cat, and I can't care for it properly if they're always around danger.

would anyone be able to help me answer these questions and possibly find a solution? I absolutely love cats with all my heart, and would do anything to keep one.

the main problem for my family is 'the smell'. basically the litter box smell. is it really that bad? and if it is, would getting a different shaped litter reduce it? or is there anything that can get rid of the smell? this always comes in discussion when talking about pets.

my family says that cats can climb on the table when we're not looking or when we're not home. is this actually true? i've never met someone that said their cat steals food or climbs on the kitchen table. has it happened to anyone, and if it did, is it possible to stop the cat from doing this? i've researched a lot but couldn't find something quite accurate about this.

and lastly, could i get some advice for convincing them? such as telling them something, or things like that.

For your question about litter, often one of the best solutions is to clean it regularly. Having multiple litter trays can also help them not to get too messy between cleans. I believe there are also certain smell removers and other such products that can be purchased for relatively cheap prices, though in my experience, with one cat using the trays the smell doesn’t get too bad.

Yes, some cats do climb onto tables and other surfaces. Three of our four frequent the table and other kitchen surfaces, and the fourth only doesn’t climb up because she has a permanent limp and cannot jump far. They also will take food at any chance, one was pestering me for my breakfast this morning. It’s probably better for you to get advice from someone else regarding this as all our attempts to stop r have been unsuccessful. (Just a note that the three who climb everywhere are both indoor and outdoor cats who can go where they want when they want to. I’m not sure whether a cat who is always kept indoors would behave differently or respond better to any training not to climb on surfaces.)

For convincing your family, you could always bring up the benefits of having a cat around. They are very good companions and are relatively low maintenance, making them much easier to care for than a dog. For the most part they have long lifespans: an indoor cat could live to around twenty years. They can provide entertainment, especially an indoor cat- if they are inside they’ll have more energy to expend so will be playful more often. More than anything they’re a very good friend for everyone.

Hope this helps, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

// canary // they/them // zoology student //

hey! the name’s canary, i like to draw
things i enjoy are cats (esp genetics),
reading, dragons, and birds
// artfight // toyhouse // click the babas //

coppercanary

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:16 am

catful wrote:hello! first time posting here, i would appreciate a little help with my situation.

About your question about cats getting on counters: my cat, Buddy, does not ever get on the counter, most likely because my dad slapped the counter which scared him for the first few times he got on it. But Buddy hasn't done it again in over 6 years (he's 8) you most definitely can teach them to stay off the table and/or counter if you are consistent. c:

The smell: I put Buddy's litter box in my room away from where my parents are usually so they do not ever smell it. If you scoop the litter everyday or two, you will not smell it at all. But one cat doesn't really make it stink too bad (especially if you put a scent diffuser next to it) c;

As for talking them into a kitty: just tell them you will take care of him/her all by yourself (and fallow through!) and they will never have to do anything for the cat. Also, If you have the money, offer to pay for any of the costs. My dad is really against having furry pets but this worked for me (a few times! Lol). Your parents will also grow to love the kitty and wouldn't want to get rid of him/her even if the litter did stink a little.

Feel free to PM me if you want, Id love to talk about kitties! c:
Last edited by Blue_Aussie on Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me