Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby DrinaLestrange » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:39 am

Rick Astley. wrote:so uh

my two cats brought in a dead rat last night...
the cat sort of dug its claws in the rats neck
our cats are indoor cats and we have no idea what to do as we have never had this happen before
they brought the dead rat out to show us (atleast we think)

@fruitypieq butterball is adorable OwO what gender are they?

This is basically a sign of love lol. They're trying to feed you. My boy left a dead mouse UNDER my mom's pillow once. She was not pleased.
I'm happy to announce that I am the mommy of a little girl named Chloe! Born June 2nd 2015!
Anastasia born April 23 2019!
Monroe born September 28 2023!
My birthday is Feb 9th!
DrinaLestrange

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 72027 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:55 pm

i rescued a 3 month old kitten from a shelter a few weeks ago! this is my first time ive owned & cared for a cat. it feels kinda weird because im such a dog person but i love cats as well. her name is Olive & she is a grey tabby! its interesting though because her stripes are so faint & she has no white on her body? people keep thinking shes a russian blue, haha!

im actually a minor,, its not my parents cat. i paid for everything. literally. paid for the adoption fee, vet bills, and supplies. when i move out Olive will be coming with me. believe it or not, ive spent more on my gecko than my kitten so far. :,)
'

╔══ •❀°•°❀°•°❀• ══╗

emmy | she/her
hi! i am a furry artist,
taxidermist, and zoology'''''''''
student. (´・ω・ `)

╚═════════════╝

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''my socials

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lemon Tea Rain » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:41 pm

I was wondering - when introducing a kitten to an established cat, will a kitten pen function as well as having them in a separate room on their arrival? My cat (soon to be cats) are only allowed downstairs not upstairs, and because of the limited number of rooms down there it would be incredibly difficult to find a way to have the kitten in one room without cutting off a big part of my cat's space/routine. Would a kitten pen work just as well, or is a separate room the only way?
Image⦅Lemon⦆Image
◤~ ImageLemon • any • <3! ~ ◥
Image Image Image
◣ ~ ImageFeel free to pm :D~ ◢
Lemon Tea Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BoopoThyDrago » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:46 pm

Daisyfang Weirdo wrote:I was wondering - when introducing a kitten to an established cat, will a kitten pen function as well as having them in a separate room on their arrival? My cat (soon to be cats) are only allowed downstairs not upstairs, and because of the limited number of rooms down there it would be incredibly difficult to find a way to have the kitten in one room without cutting off a big part of my cat's space/routine. Would a kitten pen work just as well, or is a separate room the only way?

When my family was fostering cats (we kept 3 of them), we kept them in a crate surrounded by a kitten pen. It worked fine, and our cats get along with each other. We didn't have the option of another room as well, lol.
Find The Culprit! wrote:BoopoThyDrago dropped their ice cream on the ground and reasonably has been pretty down about it since.

fika. wrote:
      banned for dropping the ice cream ya silly billy

Please click my pokemon! Image
ImageImageImage
Other Sites: FR
BoopoThyDrago

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:10 am

Daisyfang Weirdo wrote:I was wondering - when introducing a kitten to an established cat, will a kitten pen function as well as having them in a separate room on their arrival? My cat (soon to be cats) are only allowed downstairs not upstairs, and because of the limited number of rooms down there it would be incredibly difficult to find a way to have the kitten in one room without cutting off a big part of my cat's space/routine. Would a kitten pen work just as well, or is a separate room the only way?

Part of the readoson behind separating cats when you first get a new one, is to limit their exposure to one another and let them get introduced gradually. You'll have to be careful with that, as it might be too much of a sudden change for both of them. And remember that a kitten needs to be active and needs to explore its surroundings in order to feel comfortable in them, so being in a kitten pen could be very restricting depending on how old they are. So you should make sure to lock your cat out of the room to allow the kitten time to roam around and familiarize themselves with their new home. On the other hand, your first cat might have too much access to the kitten in the kitten pen, and could treat them basically like prey or an intruder, which is what you try to avoid when you first separate the cats.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby minimire » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:14 am

mark

minimire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yuwa » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:53 pm

Hihi! I'm going to visit a Cat Cafe in three days and I really need some questions answered before I go! I've never been very close to cats.. I've always owned dogs but I absolutely adore cats and what they are~ I need to ask:

How do i be as respectful as i can be to the cats? Is petting them too much a bad thing?
I'm only good with keeping dogs calm and I'm not sure how to go about it with cats.. I heard they love lower back scratches and head rubs, sometimes under the chin scratches.
┌──────────────┐

Imagex

└──────────────┘
┌──────────────┐

DeviantArt | ©[/size][/center][/right]

└──────────────┘
┌───────────────┐

<3
My name is Ayuwa! ^~^)/
I play mostly MMO RPGs
Happy to meet you~
────────
I am GMT/BST timezone
I have two rats Lola and Molly
I love art & drawing
Call me Bunny or Ayu
────────
Adult ~ She/Her ~ British
I draw chibi and cute anime girls
Ambivert & Open to new friends

└───────────────┘
Yuwa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lemon Tea Rain » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:50 pm

Lady_Panda wrote:Hihi! I'm going to visit a Cat Cafe in three days and I really need some questions answered before I go! I've never been very close to cats.. I've always owned dogs but I absolutely adore cats and what they are~ I need to ask:

How do i be as respectful as i can be to the cats? Is petting them too much a bad thing?
I'm only good with keeping dogs calm and I'm not sure how to go about it with cats.. I heard they love lower back scratches and head rubs, sometimes under the chin scratches.

Hey, I've been to a cat cafe before! The one I went to was really helpful and laid out the rules for you when you went in, but the firmest rule that was there was: if the cat is sleeping, do not pet it and wake it up. Otherwise, if the cat doesn't like it, you'll know about it. If the cat seems a little bothered with the stroking it's totally fine to leave them be and go to another cat :) (oh, and protect your food, pffft-) I had a great time the last time I went to a cat cafe, so I hope you enjoy yourself!
Lemon Tea Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:23 pm

Lady_Panda wrote:Hihi! I'm going to visit a Cat Cafe in three days and I really need some questions answered before I go! I've never been very close to cats.. I've always owned dogs but I absolutely adore cats and what they are~ I need to ask:

I think the biggest difference between dogs and cats is that cats are a lot more independent. To make them feel safe and confident, it's better to wait until one approaches you (or yknow, lure them in with treats or maybe a toy), and then let them sniff you as a greeting. Some will immediately start rubbing against you, which means that you can pet them on the head and probably on the back. Some can be a bit more careful, but you can still try to pet them! It's important to watch their body language, and try to notice if they seem to pull back or not respond to you petting them. It's unlikely that a cat cafe would have truly antisocial cats, or ones that are very prone to biting or scratching, but some cats might slap you with their paw if they've had enough of attention - that can definitely happen when a cat is pet too much, but it depends a lot on their personality. Chin scratches are often a favorite, but again try to notice if the cat is into it (stretching out their neck and bringing their whiskers forward) or if they try to pull back or in general don't react to the scratches. Typically the parts they don't like being touched are their legs (though some cats don't mind their feet being touched when they are laying down), tail and belly (even if one rolls on their back to show you their belly, they are likely to kick and scratch if you try to touch it).
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yuwa » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:07 pm

Thalassic wrote:

I think the biggest difference between dogs and cats is that cats are a lot more independent. To make them feel safe and confident, it's better to wait until one approaches you (or yknow, lure them in with treats or maybe a toy), and then let them sniff you as a greeting. Some will immediately start rubbing against you, which means that you can pet them on the head and probably on the back. Some can be a bit more careful, but you can still try to pet them! It's important to watch their body language, and try to notice if they seem to pull back or not respond to you petting them. It's unlikely that a cat cafe would have truly antisocial cats, or ones that are very prone to biting or scratching, but some cats might slap you with their paw if they've had enough of attention - that can definitely happen when a cat is pet too much, but it depends a lot on their personality. Chin scratches are often a favorite, but again try to notice if the cat is into it (stretching out their neck and bringing their whiskers forward) or if they try to pull back or in general don't react to the scratches. Typically the parts they don't like being touched are their legs (though some cats don't mind their feet being touched when they are laying down), tail and belly (even if one rolls on their back to show you their belly, they are likely to kick and scratch if you try to touch it).

Thank you both!! >w< Your answers are very helpful to me even if I don't know how to quote the both of you hehe.. I'm glad there isn't too much needed thought going into this, mostly an understanding of body language~ I'll try my best to be respectful to their actions, and understand when they don't want the attention. Thank you so much again for replies <3
┌──────────────┐

Imagex

└──────────────┘
┌──────────────┐

DeviantArt | ©[/size][/center][/right]

└──────────────┘
┌───────────────┐

<3
My name is Ayuwa! ^~^)/
I play mostly MMO RPGs
Happy to meet you~
────────