The Chicken Smoothie Hedgehog Society ♥

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: The Chicken Smoothie Hedgehog Society ♥

Postby leiawolfe » Mon May 22, 2017 8:58 pm

I'd Like to Join!
Username: LeiaWolfe
Are you a hedgehog owner?: No :/
If no, do you want get one?: Yeah! I think hedgehogs are wonderful creatures, and even though I have never had one, it would be a great experience <3
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spiderfish » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:14 am

Hello :)
I know this thread hasn't been posted in for a while, so I'm hoping there's still someone around who will see this!

After searching since before last Christmas, and being let down many times, I finally found the perfect hog breeder, and my lil spiky floof will be coming home next month!
It's not the first time I've considered getting a hog (actually, it's been several years since the first time I considered it, but every time the opportunity arose, something else always came up), so I have literally being doing research for years. There are however a couple of things I'm struggling to find info on.

First thing, my breeder needs a name as soon as so they can register my hog. The problem is, I have never named an animal before bringing it home before. And often struggle (for months sometimes) to find the perfect name after it's come home. So, has anyone else had to name their hog, or any animal, before bringing it home? How do you find the name without having the animal in front of you? Or do I just completely overthink naming animals, and no one else actually agonizes over the decision like I do?
Also, I'm open to suggestions! I do have pictures, but as they're from the breeder, and not my own, I'm not going to post them publicly. I'd be happy to show them through PM'S :) She's a Chocolate Snowflake, with ears like a dumbo rat :P

Second thing, wheel sizes!
The biggest I've been able to find, and the internet recommended size, is 12 inch. I am not convinced this is big enough, for one simple reason; this is the same size a large Syrian hamster needs. I refuse to believe that a hamster and a hedgehog need the same size wheel.
So what size wheels do you recommend?

Third thing, food!
I know their base diet needs to be high quality poultry based dry cat food, the problem I'm having is the specific brands. The only ones I'm overly familiar with is Orijen and Acana, as thats what I feed my ferret (and what she does best on), but all their flavors contain fish. And the recommended brands I'm come across in my research aren't actually high quality. Usually the big-name-brands-that-pretend-to-be-high-quality-but-actually-aren't-that-great.
So, food recommendations? I'm in the UK, so needs to be available over here, and easily available in pet shops (so nothing online only).

Pretty sure thats everything at the minute! Thank you in advance for any replies :)
-wip-
-wip-
-wip-
spiderfish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dia. » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:02 am

I'm always around! I'm so excited for you! Getting your hedgie is so exciting.

Luckily, I had met Thea before I took her home. So I named her before I got her, but also after I had met her. I don't like naming animals before I meet them either. I did have a list of options though! You could make a list of names, choose the one you like the most, give that to the breeder... then call your hedgie whatever you feel like it when you get her. ^^ Just remember what her registered name was.
She sounds really cute. Thea had huge ears for a while too, but she grew into them ahah.

Actually 12" is perfectly fine (I thought syrian hamsters could do something like 9"). The minimum would be 10.5", but some hogs are too fat/long for that. Thea recently upgraded from 10.5" to 11" and it's perfectly fine. This is where I got my upgraded wheel from. They are one of the most knowledgeable breeders in the US. They sell 10.5" inch wheels, and the larger 11."
This is the wheel I upgraded from. I believe that there ARE hedgehog people in the UK who sell bucket wheels, I just don't know where.
Honestly, go with a bucket wheel. They are SILENT aside from the pitter patter of hedgie feet. They are also SMOOTH, so you don't have to scrub poo off of them for hours. Comes right off. The volcano view wheels come with a litter tray, if you order that option, and it is SO helpful at keeping the cage clean since all her waste goes in there from running. (They really mostly go potty while they run lol)
The commercial wheels are pretty crap. I've seen the silent spinner wheels cause bloody messes from the ridges rubbing feet raw, or hedgehogs getting their feet stuck between the pieces. The comfort wheels are safe, but they are thin, wobbly, and really can't withstand the miles and abuse that the hedgehog will inflict lol.

You don't want the food to have higher than 35% protein because it causes kidney problems.(both Orijen and Acana are very quality brands, but their protein is far too high). The sweet spot is 30-33% protein and 10-13% fat.
Scroll down to read about diet. They also have a kibble list. It's a little outdated (they're working on an update), so just double check formulas and percentages. It's a good place to start.
Really, a good hedgehog food is a middle-tier cat food. Cats and ferrets need really high protein percentages. Hedgehogs are harmed by protein percentages that high. You just want to look for appropriate percentages and good ingredients with named meat and named meat meals in the first ingredients. Avoid fillers like wheat, soy, and corn. Grain free is not a necessity, and some healthier grains like whole brown rice and barley can be good for them! They are opportunistic omnivores, not carnivores or insectivores.
Hedgies CAN eat fish, it just might make them smell a little more. They can also eat other meats, it doesn't have to be poultry.
I don't know what food you have in the UK, but I personally feed Solid Gold Winged Tiger and Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck (which I am probably phasing out or decreasing when I go buy more food). Solid Gold recently released some new wonderful formulas that are appropriate.
hiya i'm dia
she/her
INTJ

bookworm
scientist
plant lover
dog mom-->

CS Fanart Archive

Characters

art fight; *team*
CS Help | Site Rules
[avatar] | [signature]
Dia.
FanArt Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raikki » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:56 am

I'd Like to Join!
Username: Raikki
Are you a hedgehog owner?: No, sadly

I'm really interested in getting one. I've been studying for quite an bit now. My worry is that some hedgehogs are so "popular" now that I'll be discredited for actually caring about them, when in fact I'm quite interested in them. Any other non hedgehog owners have this issue?
Also, planning to start a small journal with tabs about eating and such. It's nice to have a paper copy to be able to quickly find information.
Also looking to volunteer with a nearby hedgehog rescue to have some specific handeling. (It's registered with the national hedgehog society!)
Check out my art shop
Raikki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dia. » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:49 pm

Raikki wrote:I'd Like to Join!
Username: Raikki
Are you a hedgehog owner?: No, sadly

I'm really interested in getting one. I've been studying for quite an bit now. My worry is that some hedgehogs are so "popular" now that I'll be discredited for actually caring about them, when in fact I'm quite interested in them. Any other non hedgehog owners have this issue?
Also, planning to start a small journal with tabs about eating and such. It's nice to have a paper copy to be able to quickly find information.
Also looking to volunteer with a nearby hedgehog rescue to have some specific handeling. (It's registered with the national hedgehog society!)

Welcome c:
Are you in the US or UK that you have a hedgehog rescue nearby? o.o

There is a HUGE community of really awesome hedgehog owners. You will not have a problem fitting in there. c: I'm in a facebook group with about 14k members or so right now. It's fabulous.

Once again, I'm going to point you in the direction of Volcano View Hedgehogs for a lot of your research! They know their stuff.
hiya i'm dia
she/her
INTJ

bookworm
scientist
plant lover
dog mom-->

CS Fanart Archive

Characters

art fight; *team*
CS Help | Site Rules
[avatar] | [signature]
Dia.
FanArt Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raikki » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:50 pm

Dia. wrote:
Welcome c:

There is a HUGE community of really awesome hedgehog owners. You will not have a problem fitting in there. c: I'm in a facebook group with about 14k members or so right now. It's fabulous.

Once again, I'm going to point you in the direction of Volcano View Hedgehogs for a lot of your research! They know their stuff.

Us! I'm lucky to have it so close- next major city over ! And I'm super excited. There's so many instagram hedgehog owners?
Also, usually my local zoo does not have hedgehogs. Yet on the day that I went they had a hedgehog from another zoo! My heart melted at seeing them (there were three to reduce stress)
Yet so many kids were screaming and,, you shouldn't be screaming at all in the zoo by next to the small mammals? Seriously control your children smh
Small question to everyone:. How much was your hedgehog? Did you buy locally or did you ship?
Check out my art shop
Raikki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dia. » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:24 pm

Raikki wrote:
Dia. wrote:
Welcome c:

Us! I'm lucky to have it so close- next major city over ! And I'm super excited. There's so many instagram hedgehog owners?
Also, usually my local zoo does not have hedgehogs. Yet on the day that I went they had a hedgehog from another zoo! My heart melted at seeing them (there were three to reduce stress)
Yet so many kids were screaming and,, you shouldn't be screaming at all in the zoo by next to the small mammals? Seriously control your children smh

Yeah, lots of hedgehogs on IG (although not all of them are fantastic in terms of husbandry/responsibility). Thea (my hedgie) has her own account. It's linked in my signature lol. Any time I see hedgehogs, my heart melts <3
I hope they weren't being kept together. They're solitary animals... they don't typically like friends.
I actually really don't like seeing hedgies in zoos. D: Zoos advertise that a hedgehog's lifespan is typically 2ish years... when hedgies can live to be 6 or 7 with proper genetics and care. They feed them insectivore diets, when our little hediges are not insectivores.
I guess don't take your husbandry information from the zoo ahah.
hiya i'm dia
she/her
INTJ

bookworm
scientist
plant lover
dog mom-->

CS Fanart Archive

Characters

art fight; *team*
CS Help | Site Rules
[avatar] | [signature]
Dia.
FanArt Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raikki » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:38 pm

Dia. wrote:
Raikki wrote:
Dia. wrote:
Welcome c:

Yeah, lots of hedgehogs on IG (although not all of them are fantastic in terms of husbandry/responsibility). Thea (my hedgie) has her own account. It's linked in my signature lol. Any time I see hedgehogs, my heart melts <3
I hope they weren't being kept together. They're solitary animals... they don't typically like friends.
I actually really don't like seeing hedgies in zoos. D: Zoos advertise that a hedgehog's lifespan is typically 2ish years... when hedgies can live to be 6 or 7 with proper genetics and care. They feed them insectivore diets, when our little hediges are not insectivores.
I guess don't take your husbandry information from the zoo ahah.

No they weren't together, don't worry! One at a time (thought the """enclosure""" they were one as awful) to prevent stress (even though as stated there were too many kids to ever prevent that)
Yeah no,,, I honestly don't take a lot of info from the zoos on lots of animals. Always double check for me !
Check out my art shop
Raikki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spiderfish » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:25 am

Oops, I thought I'd already posted an update here :P Oh well, better late than never!

I named my little girl Solo! And she's finally coming home next Sunday :D

Dia. wrote:Actually 12" is perfectly fine (I thought syrian hamsters could do something like 9"). The minimum would be 10.5", but some hogs are too fat/long for that. Thea recently upgraded from 10.5" to 11" and it's perfectly fine. This is where I got my upgraded wheel from. They are one of the most knowledgeable breeders in the US. They sell 10.5" inch wheels, and the larger 11."
This is the wheel I upgraded from. I believe that there ARE hedgehog people in the UK who sell bucket wheels, I just don't know where.
Honestly, go with a bucket wheel. They are SILENT aside from the pitter patter of hedgie feet. They are also SMOOTH, so you don't have to scrub poo off of them for hours. Comes right off. The volcano view wheels come with a litter tray, if you order that option, and it is SO helpful at keeping the cage clean since all her waste goes in there from running. (They really mostly go potty while they run lol)

The commercial wheels are pretty crap. I've seen the silent spinner wheels cause bloody messes from the ridges rubbing feet raw, or hedgehogs getting their feet stuck between the pieces. The comfort wheels are safe, but they are thin, wobbly, and really can't withstand the miles and abuse that the hedgehog will inflict lol.

Minimum size for syrians is 8", but most hams will need bigger. The most recommended one over here is the 11" Trixie, which is what mine have, and I find them to be the perfect size for them to run flat. Which is why I can't imagine 12" being suited to a hog- I don't see how a wheel only an inch bigger will allow an animal considerably larger than a hamster to run flat.

There's a few sellers on ebay that sell bucket wheels, Only one is reasonably priced though, and nicer looking than the others :P

I'll do another post about food, as I've been sent a list of what she's on now, but don't have it to hand.
-wip-
-wip-
-wip-
spiderfish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dia. » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:01 am

Nope, 11" is perfectly suitable for even larger hogs. c:
My girl's back didn't even arch in 10.5." I don't think they're as stretchy as hamsters.

Store bought wheels, while cheaper, will end up being more expensive in the long run. You get what you pay for. Hedgehogs inflict A LOT of abuse on their wheels. Typically, they aren't sturdy enough and either fall apart or fall over (potentially injuring the hog). You'll be spending more replacing cheap wheels than you will just biting the bullet and getting a bucket wheel. I've seen this happen a few times in the facebook group I'm in XD
I'd rather have good quality and safe than cheap, unsafe, and pretty lol
hiya i'm dia
she/her
INTJ

bookworm
scientist
plant lover
dog mom-->

CS Fanart Archive

Characters

art fight; *team*
CS Help | Site Rules