* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
36
8%
cucumber
56
12%
strawberry
87
19%
carrot
56
12%
jalapeno
26
6%
sweet peppers
18
4%
corn
43
9%
grapes
65
14%
rice
33
7%
sprouts
35
8%
 
Total votes : 455

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Sparkfire » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:30 pm

I have a bird question in general. I want a new bird. Well prefferably two, since I am used to having two with my finches. Javas fit my needs exactly, but I have looked for a very very long time with no luck even finding a pair to look at. Zebra finches are out of the question. I am in the midst of a zebra finch nightmare where my hen plucks her hubby to use the feathers to make a nest in the feed cup. So my choices are society finches and budgies. Societies I am leaning towards except that their feed is harder to get, and thye make nests. Budgies, I would need two because I am not around to give him the attention he would need all day, so he would need a buddy to keep him happy until I came home from school. That said, provided I cannot find a java finch which do you think would be better for me?
Gryffindor for the WIN
Windclan
I like Twenty Øne Piløts
Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage
Please click them ^^^
Image
mOiStUrIzE mE! If you do not know what this is from look up that phrase because the world needs to know. And no, I do not watch doctor who anymore, this is just something the world needs to see.
User avatar
Sparkfire
 
Posts: 1464
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:12 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby kitana. » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:04 pm

Sparkfire wrote:I have a bird question in general. I want a new bird. Well prefferably two, since I am used to having two with my finches. Javas fit my needs exactly, but I have looked for a very very long time with no luck even finding a pair to look at. Zebra finches are out of the question. I am in the midst of a zebra finch nightmare where my hen plucks her hubby to use the feathers to make a nest in the feed cup. So my choices are society finches and budgies. Societies I am leaning towards except that their feed is harder to get, and thye make nests. Budgies, I would need two because I am not around to give him the attention he would need all day, so he would need a buddy to keep him happy until I came home from school. That said, provided I cannot find a java finch which do you think would be better for me?

    I know next to nothing about finches, but I can tell you that budgies can be a lot of effort, even though they don't really seem like it. But they really are worth it. I guess it just depends what suits you personally better because (as far as I know? like I said I don't know much about finches haha) they're not as much of an observation animal as finches are and require a bit more attention and interaction.
x
x
      Image
kit ♦ she/her ♦ bird lover ♦ bisexual homoromantic ♦ NDN ✊🏽
hey! I'm an actress and I love david
malloy musicals. #cometwasrobbed2k17
───────────────────────────── Image
“I'm singing in the rain, just singing in the rain!”

if you want to talk to somebody, don't hesitate to PM me!
theatre consumes my life so I might
be slow with some things!
my kalonsguppy adoptsmusical theatre enthusiasts
User avatar
kitana.
 
Posts: 7929
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:02 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby frenchee;x » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:51 am

Well- Out of impulse and love for this bird I've seen for months.
I got my bb grill, Happy, a boyfriend!! He's a pineapple green cheek- And his name is Lovey!

(Going on a emotion named roll- So, when they have chicks... More emotions!!)
Ⅰ Ⅱ Ⅲ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ Ⅺ Ⅻ
User avatar
frenchee;x
 
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:28 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Sparkfire » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:26 pm

kitana. wrote:
Sparkfire wrote:I have a bird question in general. I want a new bird. Well prefferably two, since I am used to having two with my finches. Javas fit my needs exactly, but I have looked for a very very long time with no luck even finding a pair to look at. Zebra finches are out of the question. I am in the midst of a zebra finch nightmare where my hen plucks her hubby to use the feathers to make a nest in the feed cup. So my choices are society finches and budgies. Societies I am leaning towards except that their feed is harder to get, and thye make nests. Budgies, I would need two because I am not around to give him the attention he would need all day, so he would need a buddy to keep him happy until I came home from school. That said, provided I cannot find a java finch which do you think would be better for me?

    I know next to nothing about finches, but I can tell you that budgies can be a lot of effort, even though they don't really seem like it. But they really are worth it. I guess it just depends what suits you personally better because (as far as I know? like I said I don't know much about finches haha) they're not as much of an observation animal as finches are and require a bit more attention and interaction.

I know they require a significant amount of attention, but I am not home for most of the day. If I had two, would they be happy entertaining themselves and playing with toys while I was away, or would two just be double the destructive power found in hookbills. And if they will be happy, would they bond with each other but still like to cuddle and play with me, or would they be more like finches if they had a buddy? Also, for work, you just clean the cage, provide fresh food and water and veggies, get them a cuttlebone and make sure they have grit and play with them right? Or are they different from finches in that there are oth things they need?
Gryffindor for the WIN
Windclan
I like Twenty Øne Piløts
Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage
Please click them ^^^
Image
mOiStUrIzE mE! If you do not know what this is from look up that phrase because the world needs to know. And no, I do not watch doctor who anymore, this is just something the world needs to see.
User avatar
Sparkfire
 
Posts: 1464
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:12 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby BudgieLover5000 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:54 pm

Sparkfire wrote:
kitana. wrote:
Sparkfire wrote:I have a bird question in general. I want a new bird. Well prefferably two, since I am used to having two with my finches. Javas fit my needs exactly, but I have looked for a very very long time with no luck even finding a pair to look at. Zebra finches are out of the question. I am in the midst of a zebra finch nightmare where my hen plucks her hubby to use the feathers to make a nest in the feed cup. So my choices are society finches and budgies. Societies I am leaning towards except that their feed is harder to get, and thye make nests. Budgies, I would need two because I am not around to give him the attention he would need all day, so he would need a buddy to keep him happy until I came home from school. That said, provided I cannot find a java finch which do you think would be better for me?

    I know next to nothing about finches, but I can tell you that budgies can be a lot of effort, even though they don't really seem like it. But they really are worth it. I guess it just depends what suits you personally better because (as far as I know? like I said I don't know much about finches haha) they're not as much of an observation animal as finches are and require a bit more attention and interaction.

I know they require a significant amount of attention, but I am not home for most of the day. If I had two, would they be happy entertaining themselves and playing with toys while I was away, or would two just be double the destructive power found in hookbills. And if they will be happy, would they bond with each other but still like to cuddle and play with me, or would they be more like finches if they had a buddy? Also, for work, you just clean the cage, provide fresh food and water and veggies, get them a cuttlebone and make sure they have grit and play with them right? Or are they different from finches in that there are oth things they need?


Speaking from experience -
I have two budgies and they would definitely be happy entertaining themselves with toys while you're away! It really depends on the bird in how destructive they are, but since most budgies like to rip and shred, you should always provide them with new toys to keep them busy. I've don't know much about hookbills but I don't believe they are similar in terms of destruction..? They would bond with each other, but how much they cuddle and play with you depends on how much time you're willing to devote to taming and bonding! Of course, some budgies come already tamed, but normally not ones from a pet store. It might be a tad harder with two budgies, but definitely not impossible! There are many helpful guides and videos that can help you and they generally use the same method.
Yep, basically, in terms of supplies. However, they don't need grit, since most of their food comes dehulled/they remove the hull themselves before eating, so there's no need for grit. It could even cause crop impactions, so I'd just stay away from it. The main thing about budgies is that they love to play with toys, unlike finches.

I hope this helped! My PM's are always open for questions:D
User avatar
BudgieLover5000
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:55 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Sparkfire » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:08 pm

BudgieLover5000 wrote:Speaking from experience -
I have two budgies and they would definitely be happy entertaining themselves with toys while you're away! It really depends on the bird in how destructive they are, but since most budgies like to rip and shred, you should always provide them with new toys to keep them busy. I've don't know much about hookbills but I don't believe they are similar in terms of destruction..? They would bond with each other, but how much they cuddle and play with you depends on how much time you're willing to devote to taming and bonding! Of course, some budgies come already tamed, but normally not ones from a pet store. It might be a tad harder with two budgies, but definitely not impossible! There are many helpful guides and videos that can help you and they generally use the same method.
Yep, basically, in terms of supplies. However, they don't need grit, since most of their food comes dehulled/they remove the hull themselves before eating, so there's no need for grit. It could even cause crop impactions, so I'd just stay away from it. The main thing about budgies is that they love to play with toys, unlike finches.

I hope this helped! My PM's are always open for questions:D

Ok. Yeah I never give grit to my zebs, but my aunt is getting on me about it, but finches do not need grit (Or touch it with a 10-foot pole when it is provided). Also, do they generally pluck themselves/each other? It is a problem I have been having with my zebras and is really annoying.
Gryffindor for the WIN
Windclan
I like Twenty Øne Piløts
Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage
Please click them ^^^
Image
mOiStUrIzE mE! If you do not know what this is from look up that phrase because the world needs to know. And no, I do not watch doctor who anymore, this is just something the world needs to see.
User avatar
Sparkfire
 
Posts: 1464
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:12 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby BudgieLover5000 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:13 pm

Yeah, I think she is wrong about the grit.
What do you mean by that? I don't know much about finches, but budgies will preen each other and take out some of their own feathers/their friend's feathers to help them when they're molting.
User avatar
BudgieLover5000
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:55 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby moosecorgi » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:17 pm

Username: moosecorgi
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): Four! A budgie, parrotlet, cockatiel, and a peach fronted conure.
How long have you had them?: 8 years!
What brings you to the bird chat?: Well, I love talking about birds!
Image
User avatar
moosecorgi
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:00 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Sparkfire » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:32 pm

BudgieLover5000 wrote:Yeah, I think she is wrong about the grit.
What do you mean by that? I don't know much about finches, but budgies will preen each other and take out some of their own feathers/their friend's feathers to help them when they're molting.

Like my hen chases her hubby into the corner of the cage and pulls his feathers out as well as just bickering with him in general all day long. That is a zebra finch problem.
Gryffindor for the WIN
Windclan
I like Twenty Øne Piløts
Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage
Please click them ^^^
Image
mOiStUrIzE mE! If you do not know what this is from look up that phrase because the world needs to know. And no, I do not watch doctor who anymore, this is just something the world needs to see.
User avatar
Sparkfire
 
Posts: 1464
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:12 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:11 pm

moosecorgi wrote:Username: moosecorgi
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): Four! A budgie, parrotlet, cockatiel, and a peach fronted conure.
How long have you had them?: 8 years!
What brings you to the bird chat?: Well, I love talking about birds!
Welcome! c:
xxxxxxxxxxPics and poem are
mine :.) Clicky!xxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxImage
Imagexxxxxxxxxx
X
xxxxxAutumn, when leaves fall from the trees in blazing infernos of red and orange; when the wind grasps your hair and dances away with it over the hills. The days when tending livestock turns into hunts for feijoas and walnuts; when warm sunlight gives way to cosy fires and soft blankets, hot chocolate singeing your fingers while crisp winds carol outdoors.xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxAutumn. The season of cold and warm, light and dark.
X
User avatar
Ranger of the North
 
Posts: 7681
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:27 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dragon Reine and 1 guest