* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Lupen » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:56 pm

Been a very long time since I've posted here since I'm not active on the pet side of the site... but wanted to share a bit of an update.

I posted close to a year ago about my bird Zephyr that I brought home, a crimson bellied conure. He's now over a year old and still the best bird I could have asked for... He does everything with me, always makes me laugh and loves to cuddle. Quite the change in appearance since last time he had no red feathers at all.

But roughly two weeks ago I added another bird to the family, a white quaker. :) She's around four months old and decided on the name Lark... unless dna proves her male lol. She's in quarantine still till the 20th which is incredibly difficult; it means I can't introduce them yet or move her to her large, permanent cage. :(

ImageImage

✨ Everything I have on CS is for sale for Flightrising! Desperately looking for the familiars above. ✨
Pet trades accepted as well.

Lupen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby corvus corax » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:49 am

Eyulf wrote:@Corvus, Thank you. I'm being really careful and trying to give as much variety as I can.

Poor Jangle, the fluff is a trooper, the little fluff has broken a few flight feathers so lift and flying is now difficult, I think the fluff gets a bit jealous of Bo who flies about like a humming bird. I'm just hoping the new feathers come though stronger, they're a few days off being about 5 months old, and though going through their first molt, I think it will be a little while until new flight feathers come in, Bo has lost two flight feathers naturally.

I call them 'Feather fluffs' or 'fluffs' because I'm not 100% sure of their gender, Bo I'm thinking is male as the cere has steadily gotten a darker blue, Jangle on the other hand has days where the cere can look pink, and other days a look a very faint pale blue. Bo also tends to bob and "dance" and beak bump Jangle, also why I'm leaning to Bo being male.

I did bedding washing today, my feather fluffs couldn't figure why their toys were on the floor, temporarily, though watched me curiously as I stripped the bed then remade it with fresh sheets, as soon as the cover went on and was all tucked in they flew onto the bed, then down to their toys, then back to the bed as I started setting the toys out on the bed, they then gleefully did their routine of "All toys on the bed belong on the floor!" I mean really how can two little birds toss selected toys of the day onto the floor if they're already there haha.

Okay so a note, I now again have two rooms for myself (family moved home, then moved away again) a big room and a smaller one, I was in progress of moving to the bigger room when I got the birds, which also has a big walk in closet joined to it. So the bigger room though my bedroom as my bed is in there is just that, I sleep in there, the rest of the space is for my birds, they're in the corner that doesn't get hot in summer, the window overlooks the back yard. There's nothing dangerous. The ceiling fan has had some stocking (pantyhose) socks put over the blades as it's old an the paint has started to chip off, they can't get to the paint and stocking socks get a ladder in them and are easy to tell if a hole is forming, if I notice a hole, a new stocking sock gets put on the blade, the ceiling fan will never be used, I have two tower fans for when the weather warms up.

My computer is in the smaller room, I can't have it in the bedroom with the birds, it'd be full of feathers if I did with their molting. I also get ready in the smaller room, brush my hair, use deodorant.
So they're away from anything bad for them.

I've also learnt they're good at undoing knots, I got some twine and tied one of their swings so it would stop unhooking from the cage, a few days later and they've undone the knot :lol:

:oops: I'll stop I've chattered about my birds a bit, I can't help it, they're my joy. I call them "My sunny day." as Jangle is all yellow like sunshine and Bo is blue and white like a sunny lightly cloudy day.

you sound like you're being super careful with your birds and that's awesome! i also have stockings on all the fan blades. he won't touch them if they're moving (even though he's never gotten hurt) so i usually just use those instead of tower/etc fans but he loves to peel the paint off of things so i have to cover them if they're not being used. i'm pretty sure they sell "real" ceiling fan covers, but eh. the stockings work fine. i might replace the blades with metal anyways sometime because the house is old and the current fans are soooo ugly lol.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
i don't bite (unlike half the animals i work with lmao)
bird chat | weird pet stuff | trades | pet site | credit
|
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
corvus corax

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby corvus corax » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:51 am

Lupen wrote:Been a very long time since I've posted here since I'm not active on the pet side of the site... but wanted to share a bit of an update.

I posted close to a year ago about my bird Zephyr that I brought home, a crimson bellied conure. He's now over a year old and still the best bird I could have asked for... He does everything with me, always makes me laugh and loves to cuddle. Quite the change in appearance since last time he had no red feathers at all.

But roughly two weeks ago I added another bird to the family, a white quaker. :) She's around four months old and decided on the name Lark... unless dna proves her male lol. She's in quarantine still till the 20th which is incredibly difficult; it means I can't introduce them yet or move her to her large, permanent cage. :(

do you already have lark's cage ready? it's cool if you don't you have plent of time, i just think seeing people's bird enclosures is super fun. also is she going to be kept inside?
|
corvus corax

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby navybluechilipeppers » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:34 am

Is it okay to keep birds out of it’s cage? Of course, I have a cage, but it’s really small. Can I just let him fly around my room forever?
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▒▒
▒▒
▒▒
░░
░░
░░

SAPPHIRE
─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─
hello ! :)
─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─
░░
░░
░░
▒▒
▒▒
▒▒
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
navybluechilipeppers

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby corvus corax » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:44 am

navybluechilipeppers wrote:Is it okay to keep birds out of it’s cage? Of course, I have a cage, but it’s really small. Can I just let him fly around my room forever?

it depends on the bird and whether or not you are willing to protect and clean up after it. zamir doesn't even have a cage, he's just loose in the house. he has free reign to everything except for a cabinet under the sink where i keep chemicals/etc that might hurt him. he loves to rip/untie/peel anything that's new or even sometimes just things he likes, so that's a lot of work. he also likes to cache food or food-like items in couches, chairs, shelves, etc. to properly answer your question, what kind of bird do you have that you are thinking about letting out? and would it just be in your room?
|
corvus corax

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby navybluechilipeppers » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:02 am

corvus corax wrote:
navybluechilipeppers wrote:Is it okay to keep birds out of it’s cage? Of course, I have a cage, but it’s really small. Can I just let him fly around my room forever?

it depends on the bird and whether or not you are willing to protect and clean up after it. zamir doesn't even have a cage, he's just loose in the house. he has free reign to everything except for a cabinet under the sink where i keep chemicals/etc that might hurt him. he loves to rip/untie/peel anything that's new or even sometimes just things he likes, so that's a lot of work. he also likes to cache food or food-like items in couches, chairs, shelves, etc. to properly answer your question, what kind of bird do you have that you are thinking about letting out? and would it just be in your room?

It's a budgie. She has actually been let our for about 7 months now, I just wanted to make sure. (I kinda forgot to ask before!!)
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▒▒
▒▒
▒▒
░░
░░
░░

SAPPHIRE
─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─
hello ! :)
─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─
░░
░░
░░
▒▒
▒▒
▒▒
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
navybluechilipeppers

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eyulf » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:51 am

navybluechilipeppers wrote:
corvus corax wrote:

It's a budgie. She has actually been let our for about 7 months now, I just wanted to make sure. (I kinda forgot to ask before!!)

My two Budgies are free in their/my bedroom. I open the window drapes each morning around 7.30am, then uncover Bo and Jangle, open the cage door, prop it open, and they have free reign of the room, I pull the doors (bedroom and closet, it's walk through) ajar. Then between 6pm - 6.30pm I say "Time to go to cage." they do, then, I tidy their toys away and clean up their poops. With the poop it's small and any on the bed I just sweep it up with a dust pan because it dries so fast, if their happens to be a wet/slightly runny after some water poop, that gets cleaned up with a wet wipe.
Mostly I'd be aware of the window screens if you have windows open, they can chew a hole at the bottom and escape. I had to run some thick plastic about 5 inches high along the bottom of the window screen to stop them chewing the screen wire, there was a couple of small holes their already from the family members cat, my budgies were "working" on the holes, each one getting that small bit bigger, they'd eventually meet and the fluffs would have had an escape hole.

Also for clean up I made a large spray bottle of 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water and a few drops of lemon dish soap. I also use that mix for their food dishes, though rinse really well.
Sun Dog Litter/Set Auction
My Birthday 7th May

ImageImageImage
Eyulf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby corvus corax » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:22 pm

Eyulf wrote:
navybluechilipeppers wrote:
corvus corax wrote:it depends on the bird and whether or not you are willing to protect and clean up after it. zamir doesn't even have a cage, he's just loose in the house. he has free reign to everything except for a cabinet under the sink where i keep chemicals/etc that might hurt him. he loves to rip/untie/peel anything that's new or even sometimes just things he likes, so that's a lot of work. he also likes to cache food or food-like items in couches, chairs, shelves, etc. to properly answer your question, what kind of bird do you have that you are thinking about letting out? and would it just be in your room?

My two Budgies are free in their/my bedroom. I open the window drapes each morning around 7.30am, then uncover Bo and Jangle, open the cage door, prop it open, and they have free reign of the room, I pull the doors (bedroom and closet, it's walk through) ajar. Then between 6pm - 6.30pm I say "Time to go to cage." they do, then, I tidy their toys away and clean up their poops. With the poop it's small and any on the bed I just sweep it up with a dust pan because it dries so fast, if their happens to be a wet/slightly runny after some water poop, that gets cleaned up with a wet wipe.
Mostly I'd be aware of the window screens if you have windows open, they can chew a hole at the bottom and escape. I had to run some thick plastic about 5 inches high along the bottom of the window screen to stop them chewing the screen wire, there was a couple of small holes their already from the family members cat, my budgies were "working" on the holes, each one getting that small bit bigger, they'd eventually meet and the fluffs would have had an escape hole.

Also for clean up I made a large spray bottle of 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water and a few drops of lemon dish soap. I also use that mix for their food dishes, though rinse really well.

that's about what i do for zamir! except i usually just leave the windows closed because he loves to chew on and rip at everything. he doesn't go in a cage at night, but he doesn't play either. he just kinda shuts down once the lights are off.
|
corvus corax

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lupen » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:41 pm

corvus corax wrote:
do you already have lark's cage ready? it's cool if you don't you have plent of time, i just think seeing people's bird enclosures is super fun. also is she going to be kept inside?

I do :)

Left is Zephyr's, right is Lark's. Excuse the cage cover lol.

Close up of Lark's:

Close up of Zephyr's:

And their play stand area next to my desk;

Big branch is from our apple tree. Zephyr is obsessed with chewing on it... Can't wait to see what Lark thinks. Just a shame she has clipped wings so she won't be able to navigate as freely. Not that I blame the place we got her, with all the people traffic in and out it was for the best. Going to buy some ladders from the floor to the playstand and the same for the cages .. hopefully will help her out a bit.

And do you mean inside the cage? My bird has the run of the house atm, out from the moment I wake up till the moment I go to bed, except for when I have to leave. Might be a bit till Lark is comfortable enough to be able to do the same, but that's the plan.
ImageImage

✨ Everything I have on CS is for sale for Flightrising! Desperately looking for the familiars above. ✨
Pet trades accepted as well.

Lupen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby corvus corax » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:43 am

Lupen wrote:
corvus corax wrote:

I do :)

Left is Zephyr's, right is Lark's. Excuse the cage cover lol.

Close up of Lark's:

Close up of Zephyr's:

And their play stand area next to my desk;

Big branch is from our apple tree. Zephyr is obsessed with chewing on it... Can't wait to see what Lark thinks. Just a shame she has clipped wings so she won't be able to navigate as freely. Not that I blame the place we got her, with all the people traffic in and out it was for the best. Going to buy some ladders from the floor to the playstand and the same for the cages .. hopefully will help her out a bit.

And do you mean inside the cage? My bird has the run of the house atm, out from the moment I wake up till the moment I go to bed, except for when I have to leave. Might be a bit till Lark is comfortable enough to be able to do the same, but that's the plan.

your setup is really cool! the play stand looks like fun. i think that lark is going to love it! also, did you do the taxidermy yourself?
|
corvus corax

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me