* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Luzien » Sun May 19, 2019 10:23 pm

Eyulf wrote:I baked Birdie Bread the other day, Snow loves it, I break off a small piece for Snow to pick at, it's kind of like a forage food, Snow will eat it to find the tasty bits. I only had plain flour, but I solved that, as I've got plenty of well, parrot fruit, nut and seed mix left from Rio, it's too big for Snow, so I put it through an old unused coffee grinder (no trace of coffee it was never used) grind it to a rough powder, then I had grain flour.
(Disclaimer, I know an all seed diet isn't good, but where I am it's hard and expensive for pellets, and my carer (Mom) says where the $$$ are spent. I have not fed either bird Rio and now Snow on just seeds, they get offered all sorts of fresh foods, and of course Birdie Bread with assorted goodness.)

So also into the mix went
chopped almonds, pipitas, blueberries, coconut, cranberries, grated carrot, grated apple, a table spoon of orange juice (natural), one egg, and some water, then mixed the lot and baked it for 20 -30 minutes.

The other day I decided to try Snow on some Baby Spinach, a little corn and some carrot (which I already know Snow likes) I cut the spinach leaves up so it was smaller for Snow to pick up, all 3 things were a hit!
It was an open dish no hood.....I ended up with a green bird, the lil fluff decided to roll in the dish after eating some :lol: The day AFTER getting a bath. :what: :lol:
Snow is albino so I guess the fluff wanted some color. :lol: What if it had of been a berries of some sort! :shock: :what: :? :lol:

great that you found treat that work, and new food he likes :D

The birdie bread does sound nice, did you find it in a book or made on your own? :)
May i ask how much you take from everything for the birdie bread? how high is the temp? and how big will it be?
how long will it last? where to Keep it( dry or cool)? and how much can one give?

My mom did buy me a foraging ball that is closed with magnets.... put some dandelion leaves and flowers inside to pull out ...the silly boy found out how to open it after one day....
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eyulf » Mon May 20, 2019 11:24 pm

Luzien wrote:
Eyulf wrote:-snip-

great that you found treat that work, and new food he likes :D

The birdie bread does sound nice, did you find it in a book or made on your own? :)
May i ask how much you take from everything for the birdie bread? how high is the temp? and how big will it be?
how long will it last? where to Keep it( dry or cool)? and how much can one give?

My mom did buy me a foraging ball that is closed with magnets.... put some dandelion leaves and flowers inside to pull out ...the silly boy found out how to open it after one day....

Snow was playing on the floor yesterday, with some toys and beads, the beads are assorted shapes, there's hearts, Snow picked up a heart bead, ran over to me and dropped it at my feet then went back to playing ♥♥♥♥ the cuteness of that... *melts*.

Snow also tried and ate some Kale today with some baby spinach. At least the fluff didn't roll around in it this time and end up green again.

As for the Birdie Bread, I've been looking over recipes and how to's for a few months now and finally as I needed to find away to use the parrot food, I went with my own with what I had on hand so there were no real measurements, I'll do my best to describe.
I only had plain flour so...
I started with the dry ingredients
1/2 a cup of parrot food (seed blend), I blended it until it was mostly a powder, mixed it into about 1/2 a cup of plain flour.(If I had it I would have used wheat flour)
2 teaspoons of budgie seed mix
2 teaspoons of grass seeds (family friend picked a bunch fresh off their property)
2 teaspoons of a dried Vegetable mix (for birds)
1 teaspoon of chopped pipitas
1 teaspoon of coconut flakes (unsweetened) (I cut some of the bigger flakes up so it spread through a bit more)
4 Almonds chopped up
4 dried blueberries chopped up
4 dried cranberries chopped up
(Dried fruits are sugary so I didn't want too much, just a bonus if it's found)
1/2 a carrot grated (uncooked)
1/4 of an apple grated (make sure you remove any core and seeds)
1 table spoon of orange juice (fresh squeezed)
1 egg
I didn't measure the water, I just added a little, mixed, then added a little more until I got a wet sticky dough.

I had a 12 inch (long), 6 inch (wide) 2 inch (deep) ceramic dish I baked in.
I lined the dish with Parchment paper and poured in the mix, spreading it so it was even it filled the dish about halfway up.
Oven temp was 257F (125C) (My oven is fan forced electric)
I baked it for 20 - 30 minutes (I kept checking on it as it got to 20 minutes making sure the top didn't get too brown/burnt.)

I let it cool a little lifted it out of the dish and carefully peeled the parchment paper off. Then cut it across the width into slices about 1 inch wide. I break a piece off a slice I'd say it's 1/2 an inch to an inch in size. Put it on top of Snows seed and Snow eats what he/she wants of it, and I remove what's left, if any, if it's gone hard and stale.
I've got it in an air tight lunch box and I'm keeping it in the fridge. Because where I am it can be humid and bread items can go mouldy. I don't know how long it will last, so far it's still fairing well, I made it near a week ago now.

If you don't have a small enough baking dish, use cupcake or muffin pans and bake, well, Birdie Bread cupcake or muffins, won't need to cut it into slices then.
My Birthday 7th May

ImageImageImage
Eyulf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Wed May 22, 2019 12:56 am

aww thank you, that really will help, you realy did explain it very well :D
Now i need to look what i have or need :) that with the muffin pan is great idea...little parrot muffin/cupcake ...the fun thing is i got me some tiny Muffin/cupcake pans some month ago for fun...so that would be great :lol:
Thank you for sharing this recipe :mrgreen:
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kaizoku » Thu May 23, 2019 4:32 pm

Hey vist! Budgies are a great starter bird. They are funny, and very sweet. They're usually very affectionate and playful, as well as good eaters. I've never personally had experience with a smaller bird, so I'll only advise you on what I've learned from my girl and leave that up to someone else!

Two hours a day isn't a lot, as ideally a bird should be out of the cage for longer portions of a day. If you only want a single budgie, it would really be ideal to try to fit in some more time for them, otherwise two budgies would be a better option. Birds are a flock animal, so ensuring they are not lonely is paramount! From what I've heard, M/F pairings are best, but if someone could offer a second opinion that'd be great.

As for the cage requirements, they need a cage big enough to stretch their wings fully. The tiny cages pet shops usually recommend, such as these, are not ideal unfortunately! Personally, the cage I use for my girl is very similar to this one. You'll want plenty of safe toys as well so they don't get bored. If you're getting any toys containing fabric, make sure to do some research on ones that are bird safe, as some materials, if swallowed, cannot be broken down and can lead to severe health issues.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions.

nix ♡ he/him
gaming + anime
medical scientist
need help?
newbie guide & index
Kaizoku

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu May 23, 2019 8:35 pm

Male budgies get along well together too, but I believe females together can get scratchy (especially during breeding season) c:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Corviknight » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:50 am

also birds have a tendency to buddy up when kept together which can be a good and bad thing. bad as in they will often stop caring about you/become aggressive towards you/more difficult to handle. i dont know how bad this is with budgies specifically but its something to keep in mind. birds will often cold shoulder human companions if another bird is an option instead.
Corviknight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:34 am

Username: drift.
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): 2 budgies
How long have you had them?: 8 years
What brings you to the bird chat?: I want to know everything about Cockatiels and their care, if I'm confident enough I may purchase one in the next year or so. Also fellow budgie owners :>
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby amsie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:15 am

not quite pets, but im unsure of where else to post this.
      earlier today, my parents (living with them) saw a couple
      baby magpies. one was dead and one was staying near it,
      mourning it i suppose.
      they must of fallen out of the nest - they couldn't fly and
      were very fluffy. we had a bonfire tonight and burnt the
      dead bird as we were cleaning the garden.
      if we find the other one (we have a lot of stray cats, pet
      cats *not ours*, foxes, seagulls, etc. so i have my doubts
      it will survive), what do we do with it?
      i've heard people keeping them as pets, and whilst we
      can definitely do that, is that the right thing to do?
      many thanks
amsie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby amsie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:15 am

mourning it i suppose.
      many thanks
amsie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:00 pm

amsie wrote:
      mourning it i suppose.
      many thanks

If you find him, the best thing to do would be to contact your local animal control or a wildlife center if you have one. That way he can be taken care of by someone who is experienced with birds and will have a better chance at making it. It is very hard to take care of baby birds, and they very rarely make it, so it is best to leave it to the experts to help him.
Also, hookbill owners, I have been thinking about maybe getting a bigger, more social bird when I move out in a few years. I kind of want to start researching different species of parrots soon so that I am as prepared as possible when I do decide to get that kind of bird. I have finches right now, but I was hoping to get something that is about conure-eclectus sized. What birds would you guys recommend for beginners so that I can start researching? I am interested in Indian ringnecks and conures, but I want to consider other species as well and I have no idea where to start.

╔══════════════════════════════╗
Ace | He/him| INFP | Avatar FAQ | Carrd
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
My head is filled with bees and all of
them are playing the trombone feature
from Phantom Regiment's 2023 show
|Thanks for coming to my TED talk|

╚═════════════════════════╝

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items