* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby souldier » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Azruens wrote:Username:
How many birds do you own?: 7 Budgies, 2 Cockatiels!
How long have you had them?: The longest one is around 2 years.
What brings you to the bird chat?: I want to talk about my babies!
The quality is bad but the Lutino is Sunshine and the Gray is Pika! (She was found in the woods? Very mysterious girl)
Anyways I love them!!

Ohh my goodness what cuties!! They look just like my cockatiels, I have a Lutino hen called pikachu and a grey baby boy called Elmo :)
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxMy kalons

x Best friend
xxx
xxxxxxxxxxx

souldier

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby still » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:09 pm

Skyfox wrote:-snip-
3. Can a bird or one of the birds listed above be left caged during the day for 6 hours a day? (Since I work an 9 hour job, but my wife would be at home)

4. What do you do when you go on vacation and leave your birds at home?

Thank you in advance for any answer:)

I'm not sure about all your questions, but I do have experience with the last two! I'm also gone for the majority of the day, so my bird is in her cage for about 5 hours each day. I find that what really helps is talking and generally socializing with the bird even while it's in its cage. My bird loves it when I sing to her, but putting on the radio or even a television show for part of the day also is good. Another option is putting your bird's cage in front of a window or fish tank that would keep them from getting bored. You should also buy your parrot a variety of toys and rotate them out. When I'm on vacation, I usually leave my bird with a trusted relative who knows how to take care of her. You could potentially also hire a pet sitter to come by and take care of the bird. If you're lucky and have a friend or relative who's willing to come over and socialize with your bird while you're gone, that would probably be cheapest.
Hopefully that helped a bit! Good luck c:

C A R P Exx D I E M
xxx
lia • she/her • lights off
xxx
and time one livid final flame
xxx
source
still

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Romba » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:26 pm

shush wrote:
-I'm not sure about all your questions, but I do have experience with the last two!-

-Hopefully that helped a bit! Good luck c:-

Thank you so much:) that helps a lot
Romba

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby laika. » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:35 pm

Heya all! Just wanted to ask for some advice, and give a little update! We’ve named my smol birb Rex, and he’s fitting in very nicely! I wanted to ask the best types of games to play with him? He’s a quaker, who is scared of almost everything. We have to slowly introduce him to toys, and reward him with treats whenever he goes near a toy. He really likes to always be by people, but I’ve got to go to school almost daily, my mom has her work, and my dad has his work (he works at home, but not on the same floor Rex is on). Any suggestions on how to keep him friendly and not bored? He also has a small problem with trying to bite my ears, so any help there would be good too!
laika.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woospuss » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:38 pm

Wanting some advice on my very stubborn cockatiel Storm. I have posted about her before, so long story short I found her on someones driveway, kept her and now she lives in a cage with my budgie Frosty, and they both get along well.

I have had Storm since late last year, and have been trying to get her finger tame. She is very stubborn, she won't step up for treats, and if she does step up she jumps straight off my fingers. This isn't bothering me too much, I am happy to persist. My main issue is getting her to come out of her cage!

I have a large-ish cage, with a large door that opens on the front. I will get Frosty out and she will fly off, which Storm sees and gets very excited and jumps around the cage chirping to the budgie. But if I offer my hand or a bird bar for her to step up on she refuses and continues her jumping around. I bought a ladder to lead out of the cage for her to get on but she doesn't want to, she just doen't seem to understand she can come out on her own. If I do manage to get her out of the cage she will happily sit on top of it eating a bird seed bar on on the play gym.

Any suggestions on other ways to encourage her out of the cage? I was thinking in buying one of those rope perches you can bend and have it lead out of the cage onto the top of the cage? Sadly the top doesn't open up as I needed a cage that could hang outside as they love being outside during the day. I mean she is very happy being in the cage, has lots of toys and whistles all the time when there is noise around her, I just feel she needs time out of the cage with Frosty!
woospuss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:53 am

@ woospuss
you could put a bird perch outside next to the door...maybe a thick rope leading from the inside perch to the outside one...a toy hanging at the door that the bird likes or the seed bar...maybe a bird play-gym-tree sitting in front of the cage, there your bird can more easy step out when a part of it touches the cage door....i know this problem often happen with the bigger birds when cage and door are not large enough for it and it is still shy or unsure. ...we had something like this when we got my girl and we had the old to small cage from former owner... bevor the new one of this time, did come, she also did not want to come outside...or only when i surprised her...till one day with the bigger new cage she started to come out while we did sit there and talked, and then she was out without us seeing it and sitting nose to nose with the dog...talkin as it looked, from then on she did go out on her own after the door was opened for some mins to half an hour^^....just try to make the outside interesting and fun...this large Play gym-tree you can make gret and interesting with Food and ropes, and she can destroy the natural Wood and fresh tree greens-...not sure if this can help you^^^good luck, hope you tell how it goes :)

@
Skyfox » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:13 am

Hello! I've been doing a lot of research on owning a parrot or bird and I've never had birds in the past. This is something I have not researched completely and don't plan on adopting a bird until I am completely comfortable with the idea because I know this is a life long commitment. I have heard parrots or certain species being compared to owning a toddler, so I want to be 100% sure this is something I can handle.

My questions (if anyone cam answer them)
1. What is a good beginner bird that has been known to form a strong bond with their owner?
2. Would a moustached Parakeet or a sun conure be a good starter bird? And are they common birds to find?
3. Can a bird or one of the birds listed above be left caged during the day for 6 hours a day? (Since I work an 9 hour job, but my wife would be at home)

1. not easy to say...maybe doves and pigeon....when i did read it right here, from those who own them^^
2. really dont know this birds myself ,sorry...
3. the cage must be large as large as only poossible...a indoor aviary is best when you Keep the bird inside all day...it must be 2 birds (atleast or 4 when the breed askes for it) ...NEVER 1 only bird....that is not right when you are not together with them 24/7 :!: ....the best cage starts around 1x2x2m...when tiny bird you can go with 80x1x1.50/1.80m (when you only find medium large Cages you can put two together to get a good large cage^^)

4. there should be always one of the family with the birds, or you have to take them with you....or a trusted family friend who lives in your home for the time of holliay. you cant keep them alone, when you dont have a large outside aviary with a special feeder and water bowl, and someone who looks once a day if all is alright.....
--> any animal Needs care an watch, you must be ready for this, a dog or eve cat you could give to a good nice dog-cat holliday care where they have a room on there own and when a dog playtime and Training with other Dogs....but a bird is not so easy, they are most often homebound as not many like to travel around....
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sinensys » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:50 am

@Romba, late, but I thought to put my two cents in.
    1. I'd honestly stick with budgies or maybe cockatiels. I've had those for years [and still do] and they are lovely beings in my opinion and are easily found in pet stores. c:

2. they're not very common and can be quite expensive, I've found. I've never owned them myself, but when I've looked at them, they were pretty pricey or not to be found. might depend on your region though. if you're keen on having one of those, I recommend finding a rescue or using sites like craigslist.

3. it depends on whether she'd be interacting with them or not. my 'tiels and one of my budgies were happy to quietly sit on my shoulder even when I'm on phone calls, so if she's comfortable with having them with her, I'd recommend cockatiels. if she's not, I encourage you to get a pair of budgies, since [as Lucien said above] it's not healthy for them to be alone for long periods of time.

4. I try not to go on vacations for log times anymore because of them, honestly. >.< but when I have to, I have relatives who can come and interact with them, change food and water, and check on them in general. I don't really have more insight, honestly, sorry.

@woospuss, maybe try to show Storm that the door is open?? or have Frosty on your hand and show Storm that Frosty can move in and out [if it's possible to keep Frosty on our hand to do that lol]. otherwise, try the bendy rope branches.

my newly rescued 'tiel Kesha has finally started to chatter some!!
    he lived with someone and then flew out somehow and landed on another lady's shoulder, who brought him to another 'tiel owner. they looked for his original family and couldn't find them, unfortunately. so said owner kept him in a room that was "his" as in she would only come in to change food/water and hold him on her finger for a minute or two and then leave for the rest of the day. :'c
    he lived like this for a year, and she honestly thought he was a girl bc he was so quiet.

and now he's like interested in stuff?? and starting to mumble/squeak?? his tattered feathers are falling out and he's molting now!! c:
    ignore my ramblings, I'm just honestly so relieved and I'm just,,,
sinensys

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woospuss » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:21 pm

Luzien wrote:@ woospuss
you could put a bird perch outside next to the door...maybe a thick rope leading from the inside perch to the outside one...a toy hanging at the door that the bird likes or the seed bar...maybe a bird play-gym-tree sitting in front of the cage, there your bird can more easy step out when a part of it touches the cage door....i know this problem often happen with the bigger birds when cage and door are not large enough for it and it is still shy or unsure. ...we had something like this when we got my girl and we had the old to small cage from former owner... bevor the new one of this time, did come, she also did not want to come outside...or only when i surprised her...till one day with the bigger new cage she started to come out while we did sit there and talked, and then she was out without us seeing it and sitting nose to nose with the dog...talkin as it looked, from then on she did go out on her own after the door was opened for some mins to half an hour^^....just try to make the outside interesting and fun...this large Play gym-tree you can make gret and interesting with Food and ropes, and she can destroy the natural Wood and fresh tree greens-...not sure if this can help you^^^good luck, hope you tell how it goes :)

Thanks for the advice, might give the perch outside of the cage a go! Or even one of those rope perches. Would love a stand she can perch on but the cage is in my room and I am restricted on space in there, and I have two cats so limited to where I can let her out within the house as well. Sure I could lock the cats away for a while but they get upset eventually! The cage is an Avi One bird cage arch top without the opening top, so it has this massive door she can easily get out of :lol: . I do take my other bird out of the cage on my finger so Storm can see the door is open.
woospuss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysuits » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:28 am

Hi everyone! I don't have a bird yet but I will be getting a Green Cheeked Conure soon!🐦

I wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions on toys, treats, cage items or any other things I should get for my bird! Also what kind of fruit and veggies should I try giving to them?

Thanks!
Skysuits

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysuits » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:36 am

Romba wrote:Hello! I've been doing a lot of research on owning a parrot or bird and I've never had birds in the past. This is something I have not researched completely and don't plan on adopting a bird until I am completely comfortable with the idea because I know this is a life long commitment. I have heard parrots or certain species being compared to owning a toddler, so I want to be 100% sure this is something I can handle.

My questions (if anyone cam answer them)

1. What is a good beginner bird that has been known to form a strong bond with their owner?

2. Would a moustached Parakeet or a sun conure be a good starter bird? And are they common birds to find?

Thank you in advance for any answer:)

The only one I can answer is #2! Those are about medium level birds I would say, I know a lot of people who start off with conures and get used to it quite quickly! But they can be a bit harder to handle than lets say parakeets. They can be a bit harder to find unless you have a breeder or bird store near you but sometimes you can find them in pet stores (but not often). I would say look up bird stores and bird breeders near you to see if you can drive to one so that you don't have to pay a $100 fee for the bird to be shipped to you! You also might be lucky and find a shelter that has a bird that someone gave up and you could give it a good home (a good website is petfinder!). I will be getting a conure myself and hope to get a sun conure in the future!
Skysuits

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me