* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby quisvy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:52 am

(Frenchee;x)
it’s like head banging but backwards

The only time he does it with his whole body is when he climbs to the top of his cage
pee
quisvy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby puppiiteef » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:54 am

quisvy ! wrote:(Frenchee;x)
it’s like head banging but backwards

The only time he does it with his whole body is when he climbs to the top of his cage

Aa! Im not much on bird behavior. Yet, could be the cockatiel upside down thingy. I'll try and find a safe link about it

Edit: Link to one that seems safe and a little helpful!
RELEASE ENERGY !!!!!!!!!

[★★★★]
it/they/he | autistic adult | pretty timid and awkward sorry ;;
puppiiteef

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby puppiiteef » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:58 am

Though- You could always call your local bird breeder/store/vet and ask them!
RELEASE ENERGY !!!!!!!!!

[★★★★]
puppiiteef

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wylliam&pepper. » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:34 pm

Username: Parakeet
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): 3 budgies, one female (Cove) and two males (Jack and Pablo)
How long have you had them?: Two years for Cove and Jack, Three for Pablo
What brings you to the bird chat?: I dunno, I just really love birbs a lot <33
✧wylliam✧pepper is my cat daughter✧calicos best cats, jolteon best pokémon.✧your friend✧

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

there's no time

ImageImage Image Image Image
✧like green corgi time.✧
wylliam&pepper.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:30 pm

I have a bird question in general. I want a new bird. Well prefferably two, since I am used to having two with my finches. Javas fit my needs exactly, but I have looked for a very very long time with no luck even finding a pair to look at. Zebra finches are out of the question. I am in the midst of a zebra finch nightmare where my hen plucks her hubby to use the feathers to make a nest in the feed cup. So my choices are society finches and budgies. Societies I am leaning towards except that their feed is harder to get, and thye make nests. Budgies, I would need two because I am not around to give him the attention he would need all day, so he would need a buddy to keep him happy until I came home from school. That said, provided I cannot find a java finch which do you think would be better for me?

╔══════════════════════════════╗
Ace | He/him| INFP | Avatar FAQ | Carrd
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
My head is filled with bees and all of
them are playing the trombone feature
from Phantom Regiment's 2023 show
|Thanks for coming to my TED talk|

╚═════════════════════════╝

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zaz » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:04 pm

Sparkfire wrote:I have a bird question in general. I want a new bird. Well prefferably two, since I am used to having two with my finches. Javas fit my needs exactly, but I have looked for a very very long time with no luck even finding a pair to look at. Zebra finches are out of the question. I am in the midst of a zebra finch nightmare where my hen plucks her hubby to use the feathers to make a nest in the feed cup. So my choices are society finches and budgies. Societies I am leaning towards except that their feed is harder to get, and thye make nests. Budgies, I would need two because I am not around to give him the attention he would need all day, so he would need a buddy to keep him happy until I came home from school. That said, provided I cannot find a java finch which do you think would be better for me?

I know next to nothing about finches, but I can tell you that budgies can be a lot of effort, even though they don't really seem like it. But they really are worth it. I guess it just depends what suits you personally better because (as far as I know? like I said I don't know much about finches haha) they're not as much of an observation animal as finches are and require a bit more attention and interaction.
zaz ♦ she/they ♦ <3

buttermilks
ImageImageImage
zaz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby puppiiteef » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:51 am

Well- Out of impulse and love for this bird I've seen for months.
I got my bb grill, Happy, a boyfriend!! He's a pineapple green cheek- And his name is Lovey!

(Going on a emotion named roll- So, when they have chicks... More emotions!!)
RELEASE ENERGY !!!!!!!!!

[★★★★]
puppiiteef

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:26 pm

kitana. wrote:
Sparkfire wrote:I have a bird question in general. I want a new bird. Well prefferably two, since I am used to having two with my finches. Javas fit my needs exactly, but I have looked for a very very long time with no luck even finding a pair to look at. Zebra finches are out of the question. I am in the midst of a zebra finch nightmare where my hen plucks her hubby to use the feathers to make a nest in the feed cup. So my choices are society finches and budgies. Societies I am leaning towards except that their feed is harder to get, and thye make nests. Budgies, I would need two because I am not around to give him the attention he would need all day, so he would need a buddy to keep him happy until I came home from school. That said, provided I cannot find a java finch which do you think would be better for me?

I know next to nothing about finches, but I can tell you that budgies can be a lot of effort, even though they don't really seem like it. But they really are worth it. I guess it just depends what suits you personally better because (as far as I know? like I said I don't know much about finches haha) they're not as much of an observation animal as finches are and require a bit more attention and interaction.

I know they require a significant amount of attention, but I am not home for most of the day. If I had two, would they be happy entertaining themselves and playing with toys while I was away, or would two just be double the destructive power found in hookbills. And if they will be happy, would they bond with each other but still like to cuddle and play with me, or would they be more like finches if they had a buddy? Also, for work, you just clean the cage, provide fresh food and water and veggies, get them a cuttlebone and make sure they have grit and play with them right? Or are they different from finches in that there are oth things they need?

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BudgieLover5000 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:54 pm

Sparkfire wrote:
kitana. wrote:

I know they require a significant amount of attention, but I am not home for most of the day. If I had two, would they be happy entertaining themselves and playing with toys while I was away, or would two just be double the destructive power found in hookbills. And if they will be happy, would they bond with each other but still like to cuddle and play with me, or would they be more like finches if they had a buddy? Also, for work, you just clean the cage, provide fresh food and water and veggies, get them a cuttlebone and make sure they have grit and play with them right? Or are they different from finches in that there are oth things they need?

Speaking from experience -
I have two budgies and they would definitely be happy entertaining themselves with toys while you're away! It really depends on the bird in how destructive they are, but since most budgies like to rip and shred, you should always provide them with new toys to keep them busy. I've don't know much about hookbills but I don't believe they are similar in terms of destruction..? They would bond with each other, but how much they cuddle and play with you depends on how much time you're willing to devote to taming and bonding! Of course, some budgies come already tamed, but normally not ones from a pet store. It might be a tad harder with two budgies, but definitely not impossible! There are many helpful guides and videos that can help you and they generally use the same method.
Yep, basically, in terms of supplies. However, they don't need grit, since most of their food comes dehulled/they remove the hull themselves before eating, so there's no need for grit. It could even cause crop impactions, so I'd just stay away from it. The main thing about budgies is that they love to play with toys, unlike finches.

I hope this helped! My PM's are always open for questions:D
BudgieLover5000

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:08 pm

BudgieLover5000 wrote:Speaking from experience -
I have two budgies and they would definitely be happy entertaining themselves with toys while you're away! It really depends on the bird in how destructive they are, but since most budgies like to rip and shred, you should always provide them with new toys to keep them busy. I've don't know much about hookbills but I don't believe they are similar in terms of destruction..? They would bond with each other, but how much they cuddle and play with you depends on how much time you're willing to devote to taming and bonding! Of course, some budgies come already tamed, but normally not ones from a pet store. It might be a tad harder with two budgies, but definitely not impossible! There are many helpful guides and videos that can help you and they generally use the same method.
Yep, basically, in terms of supplies. However, they don't need grit, since most of their food comes dehulled/they remove the hull themselves before eating, so there's no need for grit. It could even cause crop impactions, so I'd just stay away from it. The main thing about budgies is that they love to play with toys, unlike finches.

I hope this helped! My PM's are always open for questions:D

Ok. Yeah I never give grit to my zebs, but my aunt is getting on me about it, but finches do not need grit (Or touch it with a 10-foot pole when it is provided). Also, do they generally pluck themselves/each other? It is a problem I have been having with my zebras and is really annoying.

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items