HELP, MY RAT IS EATING HER BABIES!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: HELP, MY RAT IS EATING HER BABIES!

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:13 pm

Music lover, I'm going to politely request you try not to give advice ont hings you don't know a whole lot about. For any rat stuff, I suggest TRF,

Linked here-

http://www.ratforum.com/index.php

Great site, I moderate there, and they know a lot about rats and can help you. Also..this is an old old OLD post let's not grave-dig.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BassKitten » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:43 pm

MoonfallTheFox wrote:Music lover, I'm going to politely request you try not to give advice ont hings you don't know a whole lot about. For any rat stuff, I suggest TRF,

Linked here-

http://www.ratforum.com/index.php

Great site, I moderate there, and they know a lot about rats and can help you. Also..this is an old old OLD post let's not grave-dig.

why do you say that? I am slightly offended. I know quite a bit about rats infact there is one sitting on my shoulder right now! I've had 2 litters of rats and learn a lot from them by watching them.
BassKitten

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:00 am

There is one on my shoulder as well.

The first thing that you just said that made me think that was that you've BRED them. Did you know the extended pegidree of both parents? Did you have homes lined up before even conceiving the litter? Did you think about all those unwanted rat babies who are mutts with no pedigree and bad health issues because of it?

I doubt you did.

Watching isn't enough. Do you know how to lance an abscess? Can you diagnose a resperatory infection? Can you tell me what antibiotics are used most often for URIs and which is stronger of those two? Can you inform me of what should be done in the case of a degloved tail? Can you tell me how to rehydrate a rat? Can you tell me how to help a skinny one gain weight? What should a mother rat be fed while she's pregnant?

Until you can answer all of those and more about rats without help, you don't know rats. I can answer those, every one of them.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angel.Eva » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:19 am

Did you hold them often? like: ALOT? because if so, thats probably the main reason why the rat started to eat her babies, if they have human scent on them she will eat them because of the human scent thing.
"Rachel Alexandra; 2009 Horse Of The Year"

ImageImage
Angel.Eva

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gemini_girl » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:22 am

Dakota-san wrote:Did you hold them often? like: ALOT? because if so, thats probably the main reason why the rat started to eat her babies, if they have human scent on them she will eat them because of the human scent thing.

First of all this is an old thread....it was dug up. Second no you can handle newborn rats fine without Mom eating them, your thinking of hamsters. In fact it's better to handle baby rats early you can check their milkbands and they will get used to people and be very social.
gemini_girl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:32 am

Mother rats don't care if you hold the bubs. They might get stressed or bite at first when you reach in, but they won't eat babies over it, and will get used to it when they know you aren't going to hurt them or the babies.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angel.Eva » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:36 pm

gemini_girl wrote:
Dakota-san wrote:Did you hold them often? like: ALOT? because if so, thats probably the main reason why the rat started to eat her babies, if they have human scent on them she will eat them because of the human scent thing.

First of all this is an old thread....it was dug up. Second no you can handle newborn rats fine without Mom eating them, your thinking of hamsters. In fact it's better to handle baby rats early you can check their milkbands and they will get used to people and be very social.

ok then yes im thinking of hammies XD
"Rachel Alexandra; 2009 Horse Of The Year"

ImageImage
Angel.Eva

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BassKitten » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:30 pm

MoonfallTheFox wrote:There is one on my shoulder as well.

The first thing that you just said that made me think that was that you've BRED them. Did you know the extended pegidree of both parents? Did you have homes lined up before even conceiving the litter? Did you think about all those unwanted rat babies who are mutts with no pedigree and bad health issues because of it?

I doubt you did.

Watching isn't enough. Do you know how to lance an abscess? Can you diagnose a resperatory infection? Can you tell me what antibiotics are used most often for URIs and which is stronger of those two? Can you inform me of what should be done in the case of a degloved tail? Can you tell me how to rehydrate a rat? Can you tell me how to help a skinny one gain weight? What should a mother rat be fed while she's pregnant?

Until you can answer all of those and more about rats without help, you don't know rats. I can answer those, every one of them.

well sorry i'm not a rodent vetenarian i just enjoy collecting and petting rats. You don't have to know the pedigree and blah blah blah to enjoy rats. I wish to dicuss this matter no further whether you think i know about rats or not. Just for your infomation I can answer all of those questions. To lance an abscess sterilize the head of a pin or needle with achohol or flame, poke a hole in the head of the abscess and allow the pus to drain. Apply antibiotis and a bandage. Diagnose respratory infection?If your rat is sneezing more than usual, listen closely to his breathing. If the nasal passages and chest sound clear, keep a very close watch on him, but it shouldn't be necessary to start treatment unless he starts acting more tired than usual, or stops eating or drinking. Allergies and dust are also possible causes of sneezing.
If there is a clicking sound from the sinuses, he is congested. This could progress further, so treatment would be a good precaution at this point.
If there is a gurgling, congested sound from the chest, you have a sick rat. Get him to a vet immediately! Rats succumb to these infections with amazing swiftness. A rat with no symptoms one day can have full blown pneumonia the next. This is partially because of their high metabolic rate, and because there is often a secondary infection caused by a different bacteria or virus.
your third question didn't make sence to me
A degloved tail is when the skin and flesh of the tail fall off, the rat bleeds, scratches its wound. You can't really deal with this at home so the best advice is to take it to a vet.
To rehydrate a rat, by syringe feed the rat with warm soy milk or Lactol or warm water with a little sugar and salt in. Products like Polyaid make excellent liquid for assisting in rehydration and giving the rat the nutrition they need while they are not eating properly. Rats with respiratory problems can get dehydrated, so it is important to get the rat to a vet as soon as possible
Dog food and peanut butter every second day will help to fatten a rat.
A pregnant mother rat should be fed a highly nutritional diet not in meals, but in free feed.
Yes I did actually have homes lined up for the babies and know the pedigree of both parents and all the babies were sold and none of them had diseases ect

So there you go. Quite the expert, aren't I? You aren't the only rat genius in the world. Good rat keepers should know the basic diseases and treatments, be devoted and most importantly LOVE their little ratty. :D :D
BassKitten

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:32 am

Some of your answers are incorrect, just for your information, and breeding is highly irrisponsible. I personally do not believe you know what you are talking about, as some of the things you have said could be disasterous. If everyone waited until the chest of the rat was gurgling they wuld have dead rats. It's imperative to get in RIGHT away if your rat is clicking, gurgling, sneezing in excess, or any of the things you seemed to dismiss. A bandage over an abscess can be deadly, for they often fester. They need air to dry out and heal correctly and lancing is usually done when the abscess comes to a tip, and can be opened using a warm, damp cloth with gentle pressure. If it's large, they need a vet.

Degloved tails usually heal on thier own with just small portions, but larger peices usually need to amputated. Smaller bits will dry and fall off without amputation.

Rehydration is usually conducted with Pedialyte, and it is the most efficient, aside from intravenous fluid, to rehydrate.

Peanutbutter is dangerous, rats can choke on it and die. Usually, oatmeal, small peices of avocado (Away from the skin and seed) and eggs are used alongside regular diet.

How far back did yoou know the pedigree? Why did you breed?
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rachaelandrats » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:07 am

Sorry to bump this but are you in America or Canada, OP? It sounds like the babies had Megacolon. Did you notice them being quite rounded at all? Their stomachs?
Not trading.
rachaelandrats

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me