Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 500

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Hime » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:40 pm

fluffycat6 wrote:Aw that sucks :c I think I’ll give it a try anyways though, and I’ll check out that channel. I use seachem flourish excel as a fertilizer but now that I’m looking at the bottle it says it can be used as a substitute for co2?

Excel is the type of fertilizer that is often refered as liquid carbon. Which technically is not a fertilizer (though Excel says it also contains iron), but an CO2 substitude/additive. Liquid carbons tends to work on some plants as CO2 replacement, but I've also heard stories of certain plants melting with the use. Personally I had poor luck when I used Easy-life's liquid carbo and I also found it annoying that I needed to add it daily. Though now that I'm pushing very low amounts of CO2 through DIY system and adding liquid carbon almost daily, there seems to be slight improvement in my fluffy algae situation (can't remember the correct name of the algae ^^; ). Excel seems to be little different from the Easy-Life one, so I'm not really sure how CO2 needing plants would actually react to it. http://www.seachem.com/flourish-excel.php
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Checkinder » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:03 pm

I'm back with my fish issues ;o;
Okay so a while back one of the Red Wag Platy's in my 30 gallons all of a sudden got a crooked back. Looking around, I found out it could either be a birth defect thing, a vitamin things, issues with the filter and such, or Fish Tuberculosis.
Two fish had died around the time that I put the Platy to sleep, neither showing any signs of illness before passing aside from one kinda having issues with their swim bladder it appeared as they got closer to death.
Another fish, a molly, had an issue with it's gills that kinda made it look like they were...it's hard to describe, but they were red and kinda looked like it was losing them a bit, but it was hard to tell. Looking that up, I found it was could be ammonia or a bacterial infection. That fish also recently died.
I'm extremely anxious about the idea of the tank being infected with fish tb. Right now, the parameters are a little bit high but that's because I'm typing this pre-water change. I'm taking the precautions recommended on other fish sites when dealing with the tank/water, such as gloves. Is there anyone who could possibly help me figure out if it's fish TB or just a series of unfortunate events regarding the fish? The others look very healthy and are having no issues whatsoever.
Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated with this!
Check - He/They/It

If you need to contact me quickly, my Discord is
Checkinder#6566
Trading all my pets for C$ and all Store Pets for
character art. DM me if you'd like to offer art/etc
for the Store Pets.
My Kalons

Art by friend on Discord
Checkinder

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Capoo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:57 am

I had fish at one pont. :D
Capoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MapleNeko » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:13 am

Checkinder wrote:
Okay so a while back one of the Red Wag Platy's in my 30 gallons all of a sudden got a crooked back. Looking around, I found out it could either be a birth defect thing, a vitamin things, issues with the filter and such, or Fish Tuberculosis.
Two fish had died around the time that I put the Platy to sleep, neither showing any signs of illness before passing aside from one kinda having issues with their swim bladder it appeared as they got closer to death.
Another fish, a molly, had an issue with it's gills that kinda made it look like they were...it's hard to describe, but they were red and kinda looked like it was losing them a bit, but it was hard to tell. Looking that up, I found it was could be ammonia or a bacterial infection. That fish also recently died.
I'm extremely anxious about the idea of the tank being infected with fish tb. Right now, the parameters are a little bit high but that's because I'm typing this pre-water change. I'm taking the precautions recommended on other fish sites when dealing with the tank/water, such as gloves. Is there anyone who could possibly help me figure out if it's fish TB or just a series of unfortunate events regarding the fish? The others look very healthy and are having no issues whatsoever.

I thought i was fighting TB for a bit too but TB is actually really rare. What you may have is Gill flukes, its what i had and it was nasty nasty nasty. Is pretty much a worm the hooks to the gills of the fish and destroys them, its a fast killer and wiped out half my tanks population before i pinned down what it was. are they gasping neat the top? shimmying? suknen in bellies? and red inflamed gills? if its followed by a quick death thats most likely what you have.
╔════════════════════════════════╗
▰▰ My WME Herd ▰▰
Click us!
ImageImageImageImage

Hey there! my names Mapleneko and im your typical Uni student <3 I absolutely adore animals with anything aquatic, feathered or feline being my favorite! I'm an Axolotl mom and breeder so please feel free to msg me if you want to know more about the silly critters.
Entomology Minor (bugs are life)
the anime is Akatsuki no Yona btw!

╚═══════════════════════════════╝
MapleNeko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Checkinder » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:33 pm

MapleNeko wrote:
Checkinder wrote:

I thought i was fighting TB for a bit too but TB is actually really rare. What you may have is Gill flukes, its what i had and it was nasty nasty nasty. Is pretty much a worm the hooks to the gills of the fish and destroys them, its a fast killer and wiped out half my tanks population before i pinned down what it was. are they gasping neat the top? shimmying? suknen in bellies? and red inflamed gills? if its followed by a quick death thats most likely what you have.

No other fish died of the gill issues, just the one molly. It survived for quite a while as I tried to treat it's ailment, but sadly ultimately passed.
Some of the fish right now are at the top of the water, but I'm pretty sure that's just because I need to do a water change with it, as they don't typically do this.
There were the four fish who passed, two from basically unknown cause, one because of the crooked spine and it was put to sleep, and then the single molly with the gills.
Would you think the tank is alright then? I really love all these little guys and I'd hate to lose them. ;~;
Check - He/They/It

If you need to contact me quickly, my Discord is
Checkinder#6566
Trading all my pets for C$ and all Store Pets for
character art. DM me if you'd like to offer art/etc
for the Store Pets.
My Kalons

Art by friend on Discord
Checkinder

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Trphlthdl » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:09 pm

Crum wrote:A picture would help if you’re able to get one 😛
Is it a dragonfly larvae?

It's some sort of freshwater copepod as I've recently found out, but there are hundreds of those so finding out which species is... not gonna work out.
x
xxxxxxx
🌿🌿🌿
trp | they/them | avatar
feel free to pm or send a trade at any time, although i'm not typically super active
i'm most interested in c$, mushroom or flower themed pets & items, as well as trading
for recreated pets! I've also recently started dnd, and am usually looking for art.
🌿🌿🌿
Trphlthdl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MapleNeko » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:15 am

Checkinder wrote:
MapleNeko wrote:
Checkinder wrote:
-snip-

-snip-

No other fish died of the gill issues, just the one molly. It survived for quite a while as I tried to treat it's ailment, but sadly ultimately passed.
Some of the fish right now are at the top of the water, but I'm pretty sure that's just because I need to do a water change with it, as they don't typically do this.
There were the four fish who passed, two from basically unknown cause, one because of the crooked spine and it was put to sleep, and then the single molly with the gills.
Would you think the tank is alright then? I really love all these little guys and I'd hate to lose them. ;~;

I would keep a very close eye on the tank, if more fish start displaying signs of being lethargic, inflamed gills ect than i would look into treatments for gill flukes immediately. It wiped out half my guppy population in a week, its nasty.
▰▰ My WME Herd ▰▰
Click us!
ImageImageImageImage

Hey there! my names Mapleneko and im your typical Uni student <3 I absolutely adore animals with anything aquatic, feathered or feline being my favorite! I'm an Axolotl mom and breeder so please feel free to msg me if you want to know more about the silly critters.

MapleNeko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stelpup » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:12 pm

Hello!
In my Betta sorority,
two of my female Bettas keep
brushing past each other and
curling up with each other.
Whatdoes this mean
-stellapup, creator of smitten kittens.
click to adopt yours today

ImageImage
stelpup

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MapleNeko » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:33 pm

StellaPup wrote:
Hello!
In my Betta sorority,
two of my female Bettas keep
brushing past each other and
curling up with each other.
Whatdoes this mean

How females do you have? those two are displaying to each other trying to determine who's dominant
▰▰ My WME Herd ▰▰
Click us!
ImageImageImageImage

MapleNeko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby november! » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Fish? My dad owns lots of african ciclads!!!
Hey, i'm November!!
-They/he/fern/sage non-binary achillean
-Dog fashion disco and pearl jam enjoyer
-Dutch American
-autistic and dyslexic so my apologies if i don't understand something : (
-ily serj !! (9.18.20)

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
november!

My pets
My items
My wishlist