Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby fiirstcrush » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:55 pm

Hello! Me again, Thank you for the advice on my last post on here, I decided just to get whatever betta stands out to me! im already planning to name it Minor Threat due to a poll i saw on instagram where someone wanted to name their leopard gecko minor threat-- too funny to pass up
Anyway, I was wondering what live plant would be the best for a betta tank. I wanted a moss ball since they're cheap and pretty decent sized, but if there was a better option in anyway, healthier, easier to maintain, I would prefer plants that are easy to take care of too,, qwq
Thank you for any advice that can be given ^^
fiirstcrush

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:20 pm

gentle dragon wrote:Hello! Me again, Thank you for the advice on my last post on here, I decided just to get whatever betta stands out to me! im already planning to name it Minor Threat due to a poll i saw on instagram where someone wanted to name their leopard gecko minor threat-- too funny to pass up
Anyway, I was wondering what live plant would be the best for a betta tank. I wanted a moss ball since they're cheap and pretty decent sized, but if there was a better option in anyway, healthier, easier to maintain, I would prefer plants that are easy to take care of too,, qwq
Thank you for any advice that can be given ^^

The plants you can get depend on the strength of your light as well as a few other things.
But plants like anubias, java moss, java fern and cryptocoryne can all grow in low light conditions and require virtually no care.
Bettas like densely planted tanks with lots of cover and places to hide so you might want to consider getting more than one plant. Planted tanks can look amazing and don't have to be high maintenance.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby delet--- » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:59 am

exactly what lonin said. the more plants the better with bettas, and they can even have stress related issues like tail biting and loss of color if there isn't enough cover in the tank.

the best low-light, low-tech plants that i've had are:
-anubias nana
-java fern
-marimo moss balls
-java moss
-salvinia minima (or pretty much any floater)
-cryptocorynes
-brazilian pennywort
-amazon swords
- dwarf water lily (my personal favorite)
i'm cadet kippy!
kip | she/her | intp-t | lesbian
please ask me about my pets

[x][x][x]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
delet---

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose.bloom » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:07 pm

hello fishy thread :)

I have never owned fish but am looking into getting some! I originally wanted
    clownfish, but personally I don't think I'd have the time and money to set up
    a salt water tank and to accurately care for them.

Instead I have been researching bettas. Can any betta owners give me some
    advice or articles to read on keeping them? On a side note, my friend has bettas
    and she keeps them in big vase type things. Now I'm almost certain you aren't
    supposed to keep bettas in conditions like this, but? honestly im not even sure
    why im bringing this up i just thought it seemed inhumane to keep an aquatic
    animal in a small vase. i feel like it would be like doing just the same as keeping
    a hamster in a cage that big. anyways, nice to meet you all and i hope you
    guys can give me some betta advice :)
rose.bloom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fluffycat6 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:57 pm

rose.bloom wrote:
    hello fishy thread :)

I have never owned fish but am looking into getting some! I originally wanted
    clownfish, but personally I don't think I'd have the time and money to set up
    a salt water tank and to accurately care for them.

Instead I have been researching bettas. Can any betta owners give me some
    advice or articles to read on keeping them? On a side note, my friend has bettas
    and she keeps them in big vase type things. Now I'm almost certain you aren't
    supposed to keep bettas in conditions like this, but? honestly im not even sure
    why im bringing this up i just thought it seemed inhumane to keep an aquatic
    animal in a small vase. i feel like it would be like doing just the same as keeping
    a hamster in a cage that big. anyways, nice to meet you all and i hope you
    guys can give me some betta advice :)

Here are some care sheets and articles-
https://www.aquariadise.com/aquarium-spotlight-betta/
https://japanesefightingfish.org/betta-fish-care/
https://www.aquariadise.com/why-betta-bowls-are-bad/

And here is the nitrogen cycle if you don't know about it yet-
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Most people will agree that 2.5 gallons is the minimum size for a betta, but 5 is better ^^ They can live in those vases, but it really isn't ideal because ammonia can build up so quickly and they can get cold without a heater, plus it's not much space for them. You probably made a good decision to avoid clownfish, saltwater is soooo expensive compared to fresh haha.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image please click!
fluffycat6

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:58 am

So one pet store near by is closing and they are having a clear out sale. They had some pretty sweet fish deals, but nothing that interested me at that time. But I decided to pay them a visit anyway to see if they had some maintance/fert stuff for sale. Which they did, but I ended up picking a new light bulb(oh mighty it's bright compared to me old ones) and almost bought a reflector as well, but it just looked so short despite package saying it was 60cm that I didn't buy it in the end. And then the fish... They had barely any left and if you ask me they've sold fish pretty stupidly as they had one or two schooling fish of few types left, then couple corry looking bottom fish which were not corries, one I think dwarf gourami that was getting beat up by some fairly large tetra, one male betta, one bristlenose pleco, two bettas labeled female, couple fancy guppies and I think endler guppies of some variety. I may have bought the endlers (1 female and 3 males plus one baby(of same sort I hope) I got as a freebie) as they were exactly the nice green-black patterned type that I like. Not ideal ratio I know, but I didn't feel like leaving the female behind as single fish of it's species. For now the endlers are in 20 liter bucket with filter as I do want to medicate them a little before releasing them into the tank. Baby got it's own floating box in the tank though as I want to keep an eye on it and make sure it gets food. But those were not the only fish I bought. One female betta caught my eye, not in particularry good way though, and after I watched the tank for good while I noticed there was another betta hiding in the plant bush. This more visible girl was quite aggressive towards it everytime they happened to get too close to each other and the hiding one was very timid and also much smaller than the aggressive female, but had nice looking blue shine to it's fins and wasn't too beat up looking(very fast swimmer, so it swam away from the other betta rather than fighting back). So I asked the shopkeeper to net that bullied one for me (moment of weakness from me as I felt sorry for the little guy). Aaaaaand according to him, that betta is actually a male rather than a female... O_O He was nice though and only charged me female betta price, plus -30% discount (which was for everything in the shop). I think I might go back there in couple weeks maybe and see if they have dropped the prices even more, as I really like the new light buld I got and they do have the ferts use...
Here's picture of the little betta dude I got:
He's obviously stressed as I had just poured him from the bag to a plastic tub to inspect him little closer. I don't think he's going to be anything fancy though, being an avarage pet store betta, but we shall see. He has very calm personality so far, like he didn't freak out in the tub, didn't flare to a mirror and seems to have settled in very nicely into the big tank and likes to explore. He also doesn't seem to mind the current I have going, which I was little concerned about first.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby birbmememaster24 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:08 am

Im thinking about getting a betta fish. I've done research on what they need, so here's my plan. I plan on getting MINIMUM 2.5 gallon, although I'd like to have larger, some sort of filter, a heater, A CLASPING lid (I've heard stories of people's bettas jumping out, plus I have a curious cat) and I've heard people feed frozen bloodworms (Im not sure about this?) so that's my plan. Does anyone have any advice? I've never owned a fish before.

I hope someday my sadness will be replaced by something beautiful
    Matthew ♡ Bisexual ♡ He/Him c

Image Image Image
birbmememaster24

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:18 pm

birbmememaster24 wrote:Im thinking about getting a betta fish. I've done research on what they need, so here's my plan. I plan on getting MINIMUM 2.5 gallon, although I'd like to have larger, some sort of filter, a heater, A CLASPING lid (I've heard stories of people's bettas jumping out, plus I have a curious cat) and I've heard people feed frozen bloodworms (Im not sure about this?) so that's my plan. Does anyone have any advice? I've never owned a fish before.

Go with at least 5 gallons if possible. Not only will it benefit your fish, bigger tanks are easier to look after as the bigger volume of water means things are more stable.
Make sure you cycle your tank before you get the fish. You can read about it here: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_ ... rticle.htm It sounds complicated but it's fairly easy c:

Yup yup you can feed it frozen bloodworms but not as the whole diet. Bettas are carnivores/insectivores and so can eat plenty of frozen food like daphnia, mosquito larvae and brine shrimp. You should also give it betta pellets.

And bettas like tanks with lots of places to hide and explore so you might want to think about adding some plants, real or silk.

Hime wrote:Here's picture of the little betta dude I got:
He's obviously stressed as I had just poured him from the bag to a plastic tub to inspect him little closer. I don't think he's going to be anything fancy though, being an avarage pet store betta, but we shall see. He has very calm personality so far, like he didn't freak out in the tub, didn't flare to a mirror and seems to have settled in very nicely into the big tank and likes to explore. He also doesn't seem to mind the current I have going, which I was little concerned about first.

:c Aww poor thing. It'll be cool to see how he turns out.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:55 pm

I'm pretty excited to see him grow and develop as well. He's likely just a veil tail, but coloration is a mystery as he seems to have blue and red tones on him currently. And super cute white tipped ventral fins, hoping those stay. ^^ Starting to think he's very young as he still has his stripes showing after settling in. Very active fish I must say, he is almost constantly exploring the tank (all 128 liters of it, which is quite a lot for one small betta lol). Not the smartest one when it comes to food as it takes him a good while to locate it first and then he seems to be little picky, as he might pick up the food but spits it out straight away... -_- But at least he's showing interest in it. I just need to figure out which spot is good feeding spot as he seems to like floating stuff but the current tends to blow food around before he gets to it. Or then I just turn my surface moving filter off when I feed.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby birbmememaster24 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:28 am

Lonin wrote:
birbmememaster24 wrote:Im thinking about getting a betta fish. I've done research on what they need, so here's my plan. I plan on getting MINIMUM 2.5 gallon, although I'd like to have larger, some sort of filter, a heater, A CLASPING lid (I've heard stories of people's bettas jumping out, plus I have a curious cat) and I've heard people feed frozen bloodworms (Im not sure about this?) so that's my plan. Does anyone have any advice? I've never owned a fish before.

Go with at least 5 gallons if possible. Not only will it benefit your fish, bigger tanks are easier to look after as the bigger volume of water means things are more stable.
Make sure you cycle your tank before you get the fish. You can read about it here: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_ ... rticle.htm It sounds complicated but it's fairly easy c:

Yup yup you can feed it frozen bloodworms but not as the whole diet. Bettas are carnivores/insectivores and so can eat plenty of frozen food like daphnia, mosquito larvae and brine shrimp. You should also give it betta pellets.

And bettas like tanks with lots of places to hide and explore so you might want to think about adding some plants, real or silk.

I've heard stories of betta's fins/tail getting caught in things? Should i avoid heavier solid things like rocks and wood for my tank? I would probably never forgive myself if my betta got caught and/or hurt and I could of prevented.

I hope someday my sadness will be replaced by something beautiful
    Matthew ♡ Bisexual ♡ He/Him c

Image Image Image
birbmememaster24

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me