Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby eff » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:48 am

Hi, just a few questions!
      - Where can I get some danios online?
        I have a singular zebra danio at the moment, who I took from my mom after she put him in a tiny, 3 gallon tank. He's getting a slight upgrade to 10 gallons which is the biggest we can get at the moment. UK prices for tanks is truly ridiculous. I was just wondering, now that he's getting a larger tank and will be able to live in a school again, where I can get some?
      - Can I mix two different types of danios together?
        Like, at the moment I have just a plain old zebra danio, but I could I mix in longfin zebra danios, gold zebra danios/longfin gold zewbra danios or glowlight danios?
      - Is 10 gallons enough tank space for the danios?
        Like, it is less than ideal. I'd love to give them a huge tank and what not, but at the moment I just can't afford it. He was my moms fish, who has been upgraded from a 3 gallon (which a school of 5 others, who were all killed due to the tank size) to a 7.5, and now to a 10 gallon. I am just doing my best at the moment. Would it be a wiser decision to just not get any more danios and let him live out his days alone? Or buy another school of fish, and have about 5 danios in a 10 gallon?
      - How can I make a planted aquarium ?
        like equipment like filters, substrates, etc.?
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Siddy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:02 pm

Hello!! I have just a couple questions for betta owners. I have a female who’s all by herself in a 5.5 gallon (it’s heated (78 degrees) and it has a filter that was too strong so I had to weaken it. For the last five years she’s lived in an unheated unfiltered tank because I was unfortunately uneducated and was also too scared to transfer her over for the exact reason I’m having problems with currently. She’s been in this tank for five days and has not eaten (since I have been watching her) since I transferred her over. She’s always had troubled eating, she always misses the pellets, or theyre too big for her. I tried turning the filter off and she showed more interest in the food but still could not get it in her mouth, and she’s been eating this brand for years so I know she can. I’m very concerned that she’s going to starve to death. I have no idea how to further slow the filter down Because at this point it’s like the water can’t move at all or it’s too much. She’s very strong and is not having any problems swimming, nor is she bloated. She just won’t/can’t eat?
I’m worried that it was too much change from a 2 gallon to a 5.5 with a filter so now she’s stressed, but it’s also odd because she’s actively trying to get it.
I’m not sure if anything is making sense because it’s 3am here but I just wanted everybody’s opinion because this fish means the world to me!
I have a very good pet store near me owned by a couple that are great, and that have helped me through the process of transferring her over but they just keep telling me this is stress and it’ll pass. I don’t think it’s stress because like said earlier she’s actively trying.
I’m willing to try anything! I was considering doing blood worms but she won’t go after and catch anything if it’s not floating so I’m worried about those not working either.
If you have suggestions for how to makw the filter even easier on her let me know as well!! I have a plastic plant in front of it, you can see in the pictures that somebody suggested i do. It works very well but I think she needs it even more calmer. Heres two pictures
https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/ ... 3O7qmp.jpg
https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/ ... QS4wc9.jpg

Sid
She/They | Adult
Commissions always open!
Want to contact me? PM me!
DA, Instagram
Toyhouse, Art Examples
(<- Sig Art ->)
Siddy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Stumpy. » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:37 am

Anyone have tips for dealing with a snailpocalypse? I accidentally bought a gravid snail from Petsmart, and missed one of the egg clutches, so I have 50-ish baby snails of varying sizes in my tank. I haven't released any into the wild, though, and have no plans on doing that.
Barely on this site anymore, just hungry for art.
he/him
wildlife biology major
Stumpy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raven_Wolf » Wed May 20, 2020 1:29 pm

Hello everyone

I will be getting a 5 gallon (maybe a 10 gallon, I haven't decided yet) tank as of tomorrow that I plan on putting a male betta and some cherry shrimp in. I will be cycling it for quite some time and putting live plants in as well. I am very excited.

After this I want an axolotl and a saltwater reef tank. I can't remember just haw many videos I have watched on all of these and I am excited to get into the hobby (even though the saltwater tank is going to be ridiculously expensive lol)
ImageImage
Raven_Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vulture, » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:32 am

Hello everyone! This thread seems a little quiet but I figure I might as well jump in here anyways. I currently have two aquariums: one semi-planted ten gallon with four ember tetras and a dragon fin betta, fondly named Crunchy Dragon Roll. I also have a twenty gallon tank with one axolotl, Danforth.

Growing up, we have always had at least two aquariums. In my own room, I started with goldfish, then a few bettas, until in my teens my dad and I set up a reef tank with some firefish, a coral beauty, and a engineer goby. We've always had at least one 100+ gallon saltwater aquarium. We've kept a snowflake eel and a chainlink eel, pipefish, and a ton of various fish. We had a very destructive anenome (that met his doom in a power head) and a conch. We've propagated coral and aquascaped. I've done it all! I had an axolotl, Bonk, back home before I moved across the country, she still lives with my parents and is fat and happy. Once we are no longer in on-post housing, we want to start up a large planted freshwater aquarium.

I am happy to answer anyone's questions! I have the most experience with axies, but I know my way around most aspects of the aquarium hobby.

Stumpy. wrote:Anyone have tips for dealing with a snailpocalypse? I accidentally bought a gravid snail from Petsmart, and missed one of the egg clutches, so I have 50-ish baby snails of varying sizes in my tank. I haven't released any into the wild, though, and have no plans on doing that.

I know this is a bit late, but I have heard that loaches looove snails. If you have a tank that can support a couple of clown loaches, they should make quick work of those snails. I've also read that if you put some lettuce in the aquarium, the snails will eat off of it and make it easy to move a lot of them at once.
brb baby aggro

vulture,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlazingMoon » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:42 pm

and a dragon fin betta, fondly named Crunchy Dragon Roll.

Aaannnnnd now I'm hungry. Lol that's a great name though!
ImageImage
Pet's name: The Guardian
BlazingMoon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby River in the TARDIS » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:42 am

Been a while since I posted, partly because all my fish died... But I'm happy to say that after almost 3 years I'm getting a new pet. Bearded Dragon. I do still love fish though and wouldn't mind being useful to people. Just as background I used to own 14 neon tetras, a beta, 7 gold fish of varying breeds, and 8 angel fish.
"Time can be rewritten!"
"Not those times-don't you dare!"
River in the TARDIS

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ferncat » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:10 pm

hi everyone!! i thought I’d join here as I need some help with a sick fish. :^)
Username: nocturnes
How many fish tanks do you have: 1 of mine going atm! ( 18g) 3 in total are mine and there’s 1 in the house :^)
Types of fish that you have: 1 comet and 1 fantail
Your fishs' names: the comet is holden, the fantail doesn’t have a name ^^;
How long have you had fish: (do not share your age!) ive had these guys for about 4 years now? but had fish since i was young!

Also if you have pictures of you fish we would love to see them! If you have a tank with a lot of fish you are welcome to just put a picture of your tank. If the images are large or you have a lot please post links.

my tank! ( i know the layout is hideous, it is in dire need of a makeover!)
ferncat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby olivionary » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:53 am

Username: olivionary
    How many fish tanks do you have: Five.
    I have an 8ft, three 3fts and a 4ft. I also work at a fish shop so I spend my day looking after over a hundred tanks housing marines and freshwater fish.
    Types of fish that you have: My three 3fts are home to my Fancy Goldfish, including a one eyed rescue from work and a fish that was dumped at the shop. My 8ft is home to a Ripsaw Catfish, a Gold Synodontis, a Rusty Pleco, a couple of Humbug Catfish and another Synodontis, which I don't recall the species of, as well as a approximately 20 year old Tinfoil Barb and a trio of Filament Barbs. There is also a trio of adopted Zebra Loach. The 4ft is currently empty, but I'm planning to house a Chrysicthys ornatus that lost an eye to some Oscars that he jumped in with at work, a Tyre Track or Fire Eel and a Ctenopoma acutirostre.
    I used to keep Siamese Fighters, both males and females. My speciality at work is with Labyrinth Fish and Fancy Goldfish.
    Your fishs' names:
    How long have you had fish: I grew up with them. My Grandad kept fish and knew the owner of one of the old fish shops that used to be in town so was given a Giant Gourami one time. My Dad used to breed a variety of tropical fish and is only just now getting back into the hobby.

I work with a variety of fish including my favourites Snow Flake Eel, Mbu and Fahaka Pufferfish, Flagtails, Giraffenose Catfish and Porcupine Puffers. We occasionally have Lionfish in that are a lot of fun once they start feeding. My job is dealing with fish related problems, be it with the tank or fish sickness, so feel free to shoot me a message if you ever need a hand with anything.
edon & shania pixels by syntheticfox - vern by loafhound - vern and laith pixels by rayxray

ImageImage
━━━━━━━━━━━━
olivia. she/her. feb 14.

"You're as subtle
as a wrecking ball."

━━━━━━━━━━━━
ImageImage
olivionary

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby paleosuchus » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:10 am

I'm sorry I haven't posted in more than a year. Sad to say my Betta died shortly after my last post asking for advice. He was buried under a bright red flower that matched his scales. So far I haven't gotten a new fish, I kept moss balls and snails for a while.
I still love the idea of having a fish tank but every time I think of Bullet I get sad and miss him. Maybe one day I'll get another fishy. In the meantime I enjoy reading the updates here and seeing the pictures!
Selene . they/them
aries . adult
Hoarding the Halloween’22 gummy snakes!
Stay foolish to Stay sane

Pet's name: Gumsworth, Lord of the Gumlings
credit . link . hoard
paleosuchus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes